1. Post #3881
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    11,596 Posts
    I just watched deliverance for the first time ever, and.... Wow. That was a great movie, it was cool since I was on the Chattooga river a year ago, a neat little connection to the movie.

10/10 for sure yo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #3882
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    Detachment - 7/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3883
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,731 Posts
    drive best movie all years every year
    "Drive" was great, but I wouldn't go that far.

When I think "favorite movies of all time", I think movies like "King Kong" (1933), "Sin City", "The Big Lebowski", "Star Wars" and "Stand By Me".

"Drive" should have gotten Best Picture at the Oscars this year, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #3884
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    Ok, let's looks at some of the questions:

Were the patterns really an invitation?
    How did these ancient people even know about the pattern?
    How do they know the engineers created them, and WHY would they even think of that hypothesis?
    Why does the old man think he can get eternal life?
    What did the infected guy turn into? (the scientist)
    And why did one of the infected guys (the scottish one) become a zombie?
    Why was he in such an awkward position outside the ship?
    What was the worm that came out of the infected scientist's eye?
    What was that black goo?
    Why did the engineers want to destroy the humans?
    What was the alien's motivation?
    Why did that guy's head explode?
    Why would Vickers have a medical thing in her room that's only for male patients?
    Is Shaw going to find her answers?
    Why are there so many species of aliens? 

I'm pretty sure those aren't all the questions
       alien worms were those wins in the soil of the big head statue room that got soaked in black goop. I figured this was obvious (because it is, how is this even confusing to you there were two long drawn out shots of the worms, one of which was them getting soaked in goo, seriously dude get with the program)

from this scene we can gather that the black goo is some kind of bioweapon that kickstarts evolution to some great degree or mutates the affected organism

this movie raised a lot of unanswered questions but shit dude come on 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #3885
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    King Kong really ain't all that great, Sin City is pretty average, The Big Lebowski is a great comedy and that's all, Star Wars is insanely overrated and Stand By Me is just regular great. so basically ur wrong and thats a weird list of 'best movies of all time'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #3886
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,731 Posts
    King Kong really ain't all that great, Sin City is pretty average, The Big Lebowski is a great comedy and that's all, Star Wars is insanely overrated and Stand By Me is just regular great. so basically ur wrong and thats a weird list of 'best movies of all time'.
    Not really "best", but "favorites". A lot of my choices are driven by influence as a teenager, though. I saw "King Kong" around the same time that the remake came out, which, at the time, I thought was amazing. I watched it recently, and to be honest, it hasn't aged well at all. The CGI looks REALLY dated for it only being 7 years old and the acting is sub-par at best for Naomi Watts and Jack Black.

7. Post #3887
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,703 Posts
       alien worms were those wins in the soil of the big head statue room that got soaked in black goop. I figured this was obvious (because it is, how is this even confusing to you there were two long drawn out shots of the worms, one of which was them getting soaked in goo, seriously dude get with the program)

from this scene we can gather that the black goo is some kind of bioweapon that kickstarts evolution to some great degree or mutates the affected organism

this movie raised a lot of unanswered questions but shit dude come on 

we're not talking about the same thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

8. Post #3888
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,440 Posts
       If that room was storage for weapons, why was the a giant head in there? Do they worship the head in the same room as the deadly weapons? There is a difference between asking philosophical questions with no ultimate answer and things that make no fucking sense!   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #3889
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,052 Posts
       If that room was storage for weapons, why was the a giant head in there? [B]Do they worship the head in the same room as the deadly weapons?[/B] There is a difference between asking philosophical questions with no ultimate answer and things that make no fucking sense!   
    maybe they do. you don't know anything about their culture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

10. Post #3890
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,761 Posts
    I watched Men in Black 3 on Sunday, i didnt have high hopes but i thought it was alright. I really need to watch the first two before watching the third again. Then maybe i could apprecate it a bit more.

Bare in mind, I had watched the first quite often when i was younger and the second one at least once. Yet i hardly remember them both.

I'll give it a 7, But thats placeholder untill i watch the first two again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #3891
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,580 Posts
    maybe they do. you don't know anything about their culture.
    Sounds like a bit of a cop-out excuse.
    Like he said, there is a difference between asking philosophical questions with no ultimate answer and things that make no fucking sense! This is a case of the latter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

12. Post #3892
    October 2010
    12,472 Posts
    I didn't find a megathread for this movie, but I watched the A Clockwork Orange for the first time, ever.

And... it was pretty interesting. Even if it was old, and long, I could sit through it no problem, unlike say, X-Men: First Class, or some shit like that.

So, something noteworthy; Was the main protagonist even cured? Didn't seem like it.
    Also at the end, with the press was taking pictures and shit, and the music playing, was it the 9th Bethoven? The protagonist's face turned VERY psycho, like as if he flipped.. again, or so?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

13. Post #3893
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,727 Posts
    drive best movie all years every year
    420 head stomp REAL HUMAN BEING erry day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #3894
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,731 Posts
    I didn't find a megathread for this movie, but I watched the A Clockwork Orange for the first time, ever.

And... it was pretty interesting. Even if it was old, and long, I could sit through it no problem, unlike say, X-Men: First Class, or some shit like that.

So, something noteworthy; Was the main protagonist even cured? Didn't seem like it.
    Also at the end, with the press was taking pictures and shit, and the music playing, was it the 9th Bethoven? The protagonist's face turned VERY psycho, like as if he flipped.. again, or so?
    It's heavily implied that he goes back to his life of crime.

15. Post #3895
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,204 Posts
    my mom conveniently decided to see what i was watching the very moment the shot of those posh people having sex in slow-motion came on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #3896
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,591 Posts
    Bottle Rocket: 7.5/10.

Great characters with a lot of witty dialogue and funny moments.
    I like how naive the characters are to life and I love how the film that has absolutely no hints of cynicism in it.

I recommend this film to any fans of Wes Anderson's films, although it can be a bit slow in the middle of the film.

17. Post #3897
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,731 Posts
    my mom conveniently decided to see what i was watching the very moment the shot of those posh people having sex in slow-motion came on
    Same story with me. She'd seen the movie beforehand though, so she was completely OK with it. I'm 18 anyway, it's not like it's anything I haven't seen before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #3898
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,823 Posts
    I just found about about this "Black Dynamite" film. Seems funny. You guys recommend it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #3899
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,192 Posts
    I just found about about this "Black Dynamite" film. Seems funny. You guys recommend it?
    So much yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

20. Post #3900
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2009
    15,440 Posts
    Bottle Rocket: 7.5/10.

Great characters with a lot of witty dialogue and funny moments.
    I like how naive the characters are to life and I love how the film that has absolutely no hints of cynicism in it.

I recommend this film to any fans of Wes Anderson's films, although it can be a bit slow in the middle of the film.
    Do yourself a favor and watch Rushmore. It's probably his best.

I'm taking my mom to see Moonlight Kingdom. She's not a huge Wes Anderson fan, but the reviews are incredible so I'll take my chances.

Edited:

That's the great thing about Wes Anderson. He somehow captures things in such an absurd and peculiar way, but it still makes you empathetic towards the characters. Like he captures the absurdity of life, exaggerates it, and still proved a point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #3901
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,692 Posts
    Black Dynamite is fucking amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #3902
    May 2012
    184 Posts

How do they know the engineers created them, and WHY would they even think of that hypothesis?
    What was that black goo?
    Why would Vickers have a medical thing in her room that's only for male patients?

Heres my opinion, subject to change.
    [B]They were a trap to try out a bioweapon. As soon as humans were developed enough to travel space it was the trigger to test it out.[/B]
    [B]Maybe they were still in touch with the aliens in ancient times, maybe the ancients were helping them to develop ahead of animals. The ancient drawings seemed to indicate the ancients worshipped beings from the stars like in stargate.[/B]
    [B]They didn't know for sure, it was all guessing and suggestion. There was evidence enough to send a ship to find out[/B]
    [B]Because if you were to meet your maker then theres no reason to think your maker couldn't make you young again, it was a chance to live on, he was desperate.[/B]
    [B]A mong, the dna of the goo was a volatile one and David was testing it to see what it did.[/B]
    [B]He turned into what the scientist would have done if Vickers hadn't flame grilled him.[/B]
    [B]He was a modified human with attributes of the alien that attacked him, this is why he had become strong.[/B]
    [B]Perhaps not real or maybe a by product from the mix of alien and human dna.[/B]
    What was that black goo?
    [B]Some kind of organic bioweapon that fucks your anatomy up.[/B]
    [B]They just wanted to test their new weapon but it seemed some of them either had a change of mind or like the captain said, they lost control of it.[/B]
    [B]He was determined to finish the experiment with the bioweapon.[/B]
    [B]They injected it with something that reacted badly.[/B]
    [B]It was for her dad.[/B]
    [B]I doubt Scott is going to do a sequel.[/B]
    [B]Because they've been mixed and dna modified. Final alien was a product of scientists fucking and making a new alien and it finally mixing with the engineer. It is clear the matter they are experimenting with is highly adaptable and volatile when mixed with other creatures.[/B] 

Any film that causes so much debate and questions can only be a great film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #3903
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,694 Posts
    I haven't even seen Prometheus and I'm thinking about how to perceive it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #3904
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    you really ought to go and see it

its a good film that would have been a great film with a better writer

Edited:

speaking of michael fassbender i'm gonna watch Shame sometime this week, possibly tomorrow. Heard some interesting things about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #3905
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,694 Posts
    Shame is great. It's not for everyone though, which is a shame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

26. Post #3906
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,294 Posts
    Hostel 2(?) was on TV and my mom walked in just as that crazy naked chick slit the throat of that other naked chick hanging from the ceiling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

27. Post #3907
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,941 Posts
    I haven't even seen Prometheus and I'm thinking about how to perceive it.
    think of it as a prequel to alien if alien never had any sequels that tried to establish what the xenomorph was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #3908
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,027 Posts
    Limitless - 7/10. A cool film with fantastic direction, struggled to hold my interest a little towards the end though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #3909
    November 2009
    6,697 Posts

What was that black goo?

I hope those aren't your personal questions, realistically anyone who asks any of those is kinda dumb.

30. Post #3910
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,703 Posts
    that's what the movie doesn't answer directly, you have to think for yourself.
    some of them,    the black goo being a bioweapon, for example    are really easy to figure out, but when there's too much of that (even those easy questions), and you're left to do all the brainwork, it's kind of annoying

I think that leaving a few gaps for people to wonder what's going to happen/what has happened is fine, but prometheus may have overdone it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

31. Post #3911
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,368 Posts
    It's not so much that it left you to think it's that it didn't explain simple and potentially obvious things just leaving you to wonder the whole time instead of paying attention to the film and stuff. And you never know for sure either because it's just what you think. There's nothing wrong with leaving you asking questions in a film, but when it raises points and just disregards them it's really annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #3912
    November 2009
    6,697 Posts
    that's what the movie doesn't answer directly, you have to think for yourself.
    some of them,    the black goo being a bioweapon, for example    are really easy to figure out, but when there's too much of that (even those easy questions), and you're left to do all the brainwork, it's kind of annoying

I think that leaving a few gaps for people to wonder what's going to happen/what has happened is fine, but prometheus may have overdone it.
    I'm sure a bunch of those questions will be answered with an extended version of the film.

33. Post #3913
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    I watched Prometheus and have a quarter of a review written, been unfinished for a while lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

34. Post #3914
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2009
    15,440 Posts
    Moonrise Kingdom - 9.5/10

Oh my god that was good. My mom hates Wes Anderson (she didn't like royal tenenbaums) but she really liked it. It's really good. Might be his best one yet. I have almost no complaints. Left the theater feeling very...rested, somehow. Fulfilled.

Some people complained there wasn't really character development, but they're like. 12. There can't be any character development.

Go see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #3915
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,591 Posts
    Moonrise Kingdom - 9.5/10

Oh my god that was good. My mom hates Wes Anderson (she didn't like royal tenenbaums) but she really liked it. It's really good. Might be his best one yet. I have almost no complaints. Left the theater feeling very...rested, somehow. Fulfilled.

Some people complained there wasn't really character development, but they're like. 12. There can't be any character development.

Go see it.
    Fuck I really want to see this but I don't know anyone that would go with me.

36. Post #3916
    October 2010
    12,472 Posts
    It's heavily implied that he goes back to his life of crime.
    Yeah, totally seemed like it. He kinda laughed about the treatment program he got into, only to get out of prison much earlier.

Interesting film indeed :p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

37. Post #3917
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,678 Posts
    John Carter, 2.5/5

Popcorn entertainment for sure, not really something I'd recommend for people wanting a great movie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

38. Post #3918
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    Legend:

5/10

what the hell is this

Ridley Scott did this??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #3919
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    trainspotting 9/10

obi wan kenobi plays a scottish heroin addict (hurrhurrhurr what else is new)

i liked it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3920
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    shame

8ish/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)