December 2009
    8,716 Posts
    Oh you already have BF3?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

2. Post #9762
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,644 Posts
    I'm asking this because personally I am conflicted. On one hand, you have many (valid) complaints about things like Origin, Battlelog, M26 Dart, etc etc. On the other hand, there's so much in this game that looks amazing and fun. So I ask you--should I buy BF3 now? Should I wait until the DLC drops and see what happens? Or is the game just not any good anymore? Thanks in advance for the help.
    These are bullshit complaints
    Use this and you will rarely even see Origin, and Battlelog will just act as a standalone server browser

And the game itself is fun as hell, but some of the mechanics take a while to get used to, so don't expect to do good during your first few matches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #9763
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    Oh you already have BF3?
    No. I was asking if I should.

Reposting for new page:

OK, so I just upgraded my PC to the point where I can run BF3 well. Now the hard question, which I put to you gentlemen:

Is this game (including B2K) worth paying 50 dollars for?

I'm asking this because personally I am conflicted. On one hand, you have many (valid) complaints about things like Origin, Battlelog, M26 Dart, etc etc. On the other hand, there's so much in this game that looks amazing and fun. So I ask you--should I buy BF3 now? Should I wait until the DLC drops and see what happens? Or is the game just not any good anymore? Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited:

These are bullshit complaints
    Use this and you will rarely even see Origin, and Battlelog will just act as a standalone server browser

And the game itself is fun as hell, but some of the mechanics take a while to get used to, so don't expect to do good during your first few matches.
    OK, that's very cool, thanks for the info. I'd still like to know if BF3--as a game--is worth buying at this stage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #9764
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,644 Posts
    Also,

Why on earth would I buy BF3 twice? Also 70 dollars is pretty steep.
    BF premium doesn't include BF3, it's basically just DLC and extra items

OK, that's very cool, thanks for the info. I'd still like to know if BF3--as a game--is worth buying at this stage.
    Yes it is, It's gonna get a bunch of new content soon, and even if you don't get the DLC, other people will keep playing it so it's not gonna die out anytime soon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

5. Post #9765
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    Also,

Oh, odd. How much is it going to cost?

6. Post #9766
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Also,

Yes it is, It's gonna get a bunch of new content soon, and even if you don't buy it, other people will keep playing it so it's not gonna die out anytime soon
    Define extra items please, is it gonna be pay to win type stuff like actual new items or is it gonna be instant unlocks of everything for all the classes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #9767
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,644 Posts
    Oh, odd. How much is it going to cost?
    Supposedly $50, but you get access to all future DLC packs, which would cost about $75 if purchased separately
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #9768
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    No. I was asking if I should.

Reposting for new page:

OK, so I just upgraded my PC to the point where I can run BF3 well. Now the hard question, which I put to you gentlemen:

Is this game (including B2K) worth paying 50 dollars for?

Edited:

Wtf, yes, it's worth buying, 50 bucks is nothing for this game + B2K anyway, many people paid 100 for it.

If you like shooters get it, if you don't like shooters don't. There are no valid 'complaints', m26 is not game ruining and isn't seen much anymore, and as said above battlelog is a positive, not a negative, and origin you never see or use anyway, it just sits in the background while you're in-game.

As others said, the premium obviously doesn't include the game...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

9. Post #9769
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,644 Posts
    Define extra items please, is it gonna be pay to win type stuff like actual new items or is it gonna be instant unlocks of everything for all the classes?
    fffff this image was posted a few pages back

Mostly just cosmetic items, so it's not pay 2 win
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #9770
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    fffff this image was posted a few pages back

Mostly just cosmetic items, so it's not pay 2 win
    Double XP and server queue priority do NOT sound like cosmetic items to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

11. Post #9771
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    XP doesn't mean shit, it's pretty much cosmetic, when you hit lvl 45 it's nothing new except vehicle and weapon unlocks. It's not always double xp anyway, it might mean a few extra double xp weekends over the course of the next 6 months or something.

Server queue priority does worry me though, that is pretty big bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #9772
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    XP doesn't mean shit, it's pretty much cosmetic, when you hit lvl 45 it's nothing new except vehicle and weapon unlocks. It's not always double xp anyway, it might mean a few extra double xp weekends over the course of the next 6 months or something.

Server queue priority does worry me though, that is pretty big bullshit.
    Double XP matters in a game where unlocks = upgrades. Gee, I sure love flying this plane with no flares!

13. Post #9773
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,644 Posts
    Double XP matters in a game where unlocks = upgrades. Gee, I sure love flying this plane with no flares!
    Actually, they now made it that helis and planes have flares unlocked from start
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #9774
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    Actually, they now made it that helis and planes have flares unlocked from start
    That's neat, but my point stands.

15. Post #9775
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    Teamswapping deaths don't show up on the scoreboard or in stats.
    Not even ones where you commit suicide manually before you teamswap? I sure didn't see any notifications of an enemy killing him.

16. Post #9776
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    Everyone starts with flares. It isn't an unlock.

Damn, beaten. But it's still not that important, it's not like the best unlocks are at the end, and even then it's still not a huge thing. Unlocks on vehicles don't change stuff dramatically. The only really important unlock that I actually see is maybe rocket pods for jets which are unlocked early, citv station/reactive armour for MBT's which are pretty late, and TV's for the attack heli which is the last one.

I suppose it is a little annoying, but I don't think they'll make double xp weekends a regular thing for premium members, like I said, there might only be one every few months.

17. Post #9777
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    Everyone starts with flares. It isn't an unlock.
    See post above. That was only one example.

18. Post #9778
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    It's not like you start off with a single grenade and a knife while the enemy spawns in a T90 with an LAV-D strapped to the top. I found it easy enough to get started in this game with the rest of the playerbase getting a 6-month-odd head-start, plus if you stick with your teammates you can take their kits when you die for unlocks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #9779
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    Here's my problem: the whole idea of buying all the DLC at once is fine, I'd buy that. But a lot of this other stuff smells rotten and I don't want to support it--but that means I'm out more money later if I do want the expansions.

20. Post #9780
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    Also beat the campaign, it was actually really fun. A bit too cinematic and quicktime-y to be perfect, plus the lack of soundtrack was a bit annoying, but all in all I enjoyed myself.    Sure felt worse about the character deaths than I did in Bad Company 2.   

21. Post #9781
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    The only issue is vehicle unlocks, since class unlocks give no real advantage. Heck, the best weapon in the game is unlocked extremely early, if not automatically.

Premium members will get double xp weekends, but they'll obviously have been playing before the double xp weekend starts, so they're probably going to have almost all the unlocks. If they don't, it might just give them the extra boost they need, which probably won't be a whole lot.

The only people the double xp weekend will really benefit properly is new players who just started playing the game not long before the first double xp weekend, and of course they'll need to be premium too, so that isn't going to be many people.

There will probably still be double xp weekends as well for normal players, it's not like they're totally abandoning normal players.

Here's my problem: the whole idea of buying all the DLC at once is fine, I'd buy that. But a lot of this other stuff smells rotten and I don't want to support it--but that means I'm out more money later if I do want the expansions.
    What else sounds like bs apart from the server queue priority (which I agree with you 100% on, that's fucked) and the double xp mentioned previously?

22. Post #9782
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    The only issue is vehicle unlocks, since class unlocks give no real advantage. Heck, the best weapon in the game is unlocked extremely early, if not automatically.

Premium members will get double xp weekends, but they'll obviously have been playing before the double xp weekend starts, so they're probably going to have almost all the unlocks. If they don't, it might just give them the extra boost they need, which probably won't be a whole lot.

The only people the double xp weekend will really benefit properly is new players who just started playing the game not long before the first double xp weekend, and of course they'll need to be premium too, so that isn't going to be many people.

There will probably still be double xp weekends as well for normal players, it's not like they're totally abandoning normal players.

What else sounds like bs apart from the server queue priority (which I agree with you 100% on, that's fucked) and the double xp mentioned previously?
    Has there been a single double-xp weekend for normal players yet? No? Then I doubt it will happen. The whole stats thing in Premium stinks of "we could have implemented this for everyone, but we won't."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #9783
    dicks, my man
    August 2010
    5,570 Posts
    Plus if you stick with your teammates you can take their kits when you die for unlocks!
    That's exactly what I did when there were no medics around
    It's pretty useful if you have no ammo left and kill a Support guy too, you can steal his kit and drop an ammobox quickly and pick your kit back up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iran, Islamic Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #9784
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    Has there been a single double-xp weekend for normal players yet? No? Then I doubt it will happen. The whole stats thing in Premium stinks of "we could have implemented this for everyone, but we won't."
    Um yes there has been. Might have even been 2. Do you even play this game/pay attention to the news on it?

Most of it is cosmetic, like a different knife or different tags - heck, the list has been posted, nobody can argue that it's anything but cosmetic apart from the server queue shit. None of it is stuff that is important and could be implemented to improve the experience for everyone.

25. Post #9785
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    Um yes there has been. Two in fact. Do you even play this game/pay attention to the news on it?

Most of it is cosmetic. None of it is stuff that could be implemented to improve the experience for everyone.
    I don't play the game, I'm deliberating buying the thing right now. The way you worded your post made it sound like there hadn't been any double-xp weekends at all yet, I apologize.

It really just seems like DICE/EA saw the chance to put things that would normally be in a free patch into paid DLC and took it.

26. Post #9786
    December 2009
    8,716 Posts
    Besides, the standard guns for each kit except for support and sniper are the ones most suited for the roles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #9787
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    No probs. I know what you mean, a premium service makes everyone a little worried, especially since it's something that CoD did with their elite service, and they aren't exactly known for quality.

Free patches includes just bugfixes and nice new features, and you'll notice that there are relatively often patches, which do fix a lot of issues. A huge one comes out in 2 days actually, which will fix that fucking m26 problem at last. They won't be abandoning any players when it comes to patches, patches are part of the core game, so even if you didn't own a single expansion let alone the premium service, you'll still get the patches for free.

Lets actually go through the premium list and see what it is:

2 week early access - kind of weird, but really, who cares.
    Unique in game knife - oh wow when i stab someone it's colourful instead of silver.
    Unique dog tags - oh wow i can brag on a game about how i spent money on cosmetic items.
    Unique camos - same as above.
    Unique weapon camos - same as above.
    Stat reset feature - not really sure why anyone would even need this, but i guess this would be something that should be given to all players.
    10 platoon decals - wow my platoon logo will be more colourful than yours, thats huge man.
    Server queue priority - fucked up. sounds bullshit.
    Saving 5 battle reports - actually pretty cool, I will definitely be using this. Mostly cosmetic though, you could just save the file if you really wanted to save them.
    5 new assignments - nothing new. you just complete assignments which are challenges, and maybe get something new and cosmetic for it.
    Exclusive events/xp weekends/videos/guides/bonus content - all just fun stuff which doesn't mean anything.

I really don't see anything game-changing there. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't even got the game yet, but if you get the game and love it, then I would recommend it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #9788
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    I really don't see anything game-changing there. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't even got the game yet, but if you get the game and love it, then I would recommend it.
    I think that's about right. From the sound of it, the base game (plus Karkand, gotta have dat Gulf of Oman) is well worth getting, so it looks like I'll be doing that. I'll reserve judgement on the DLCs in general, it may be the case that only one or two are worth getting (seriously, who bought Armored Fury for BF2?). Thanks for the input.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #9789
    January 2011
    1,663 Posts

This bus seems popular
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

30. Post #9790
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts

This bus seems popular
    Say what you like about how annoying suppression can be, it makes for very pretty screenshots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

31. Post #9791
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,388 Posts
    I don't play the game, I'm deliberating buying the thing right now. The way you worded your post made it sound like there hadn't been any double-xp weekends at all yet, I apologize.

It really just seems like DICE/EA saw the chance to put things that would normally be in a free patch into paid DLC and took it.
    How can you pass any judgement when you haven't even played it then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #9792
    May 2010
    6,690 Posts
    How can you pass any judgement when you haven't even played it then?
    I've been gaming long enough to be leery of dodgy-looking DLC. Not to mention EA has a VERY dismal record on this kind of thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #9793
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    Any ideas when Battlefield 3 sale ends? There's a guy on my list who's thinking of buying it tomorrow, and if he does he'll be buying me B2K as well.

Edited:

I've been gaming long enough to be leery of dodgy-looking DLC. Not to mention EA has a VERY dismal record on this kind of thing.
    Isn't Dice in control of the DLC, or does EA have their hands on that?

34. Post #9794
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,305 Posts
    It's not like Tribes or something where everyone gets double xp all the time.
    It's just weekends every now and then.

Plus looking back, it really didn't take long at all to unlock whatever I needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #9795
    March 2007
    3,650 Posts
    Dodgy DLC?

BF3 DLC gives you extra maps, extra guns, and extra vehicles. (not premium, just the actual DLC)
    How is that dodgy?

The premium will give you all the up coming DLC for cheaper with all the bells and whistles you won't get if you buy them individually.

How is that a dodgy-looking DLC?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #9796
    December 2009
    8,716 Posts
    I wish the SKS and HK417 would be allkit guns, the 3-5 shot type of gun they are could work neatly as a replacement of garand/M14 of bc2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

37. Post #9797
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,143 Posts
    I still don't see why you are all sperging out over the queue skipping the Premium may be offering. In the months I have owned BF3, and the weeks I have been able to actually play it (seriously wish I had my PC with me sometimes). I have never once come across a server with a queue longer than 2 that I would actually consider joining.

I don't know what game you've all been playing, but server queues are such a non-issue it's unreal. Most of the time you can just hop to another server, there's bound to be tons running a similar setup, so you're fine. The times that you can't, it's not exactly an issue to be sat in queue for a few minutes extra as players leave servers constantly under normal circumstances anyway. Though I may have less issue with queues than most people because I'm British and we stereotypically love our queues.

The double XP thing is also such a non-issue. If double XP is so "game breaking" that it shouldn't be one of the events Premium may offer, then the unlock packs must have killed the game off already. Hang on, they didn't, so why the fuck the occasional double XP be game breaking either?

Edited:

I wish the SKS and HK417 would be allkit guns, the 3-5 shot type of gun they are could work neatly as a replacement of garand/M14 of bc2.
    I loved the M1 Garand in BC2. Very few people used it because you couldn't customise it, and it was technically inferior to the M14 in every way. But it was just so nice to use. Along with the other WWII weapons now that I think about it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #9798
    January 2011
    1,663 Posts
    The HK417 is kind of a DMR rifle whereas the SKS is more an allround assault rifle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

39. Post #9799
    December 2009
    8,716 Posts
    The HK417 is kind of a DMR rifle whereas the SKS is more an allround assault rifle.
    Nah the HK417 is a battle rifle variant of the HK416, chambered for 7.62 instead of 5.56.

I mean sure Norway and I'm sure someone else also uses it as a DMR, but it's still a battle rifle.

Neither are sniper rifles, to put it that way.

Oh and the SKS is pretty damn far away from an assault rifle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #9800
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,351 Posts
    I roadkilled 3 recons with a jeep one round

I was driving around the antenna on caspian border and a sniper boldy stands up on a rock to shoot to me, I carefully analyzed the rock formation and drove up the small rock formation in a way a skateboarder would go up a halfpipe from an angle and I managed to smack his ass with my jeep.

Then 2 other snipers came out of their rocks and I promptly smooshed them with glorious Russian jeep
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)