1. Post #881
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,507 Posts
    Venturing out into the wasteland for a water chip sounds cooler than water filter.
    So it's really just a macguffin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #882
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,202 Posts
    "Hey, we need you to go find some activated carbon" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

3. Post #883
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,183 Posts
    "Hey, we need you to go find some activated carbon" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    "Nuclear-powered water-purification apparatus" sounds fancier

4. Post #884
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,948 Posts
    If I recall, the purpose to the Vault experiments were to determine how humans would adapt to a number of different situations. In most cases, I wouldn't say they failed as it's impossible for an experiment to fail if its purpose is simply to see what happens. As to why the Enclave didn't just use the Vaults to indoctrinate everyone, there was still survivors in the outside world who were untouched by their influence. The experiments would give the Enclave the edge it needed to rebuild because they had data on what social structures worked and what didn't.

On a New Vegas note, anybody got their eyes on any mods in particular? I'm looking forward to Caesar's New Regime, a Legion overhaul mod by dragbody. He says he plans to release it by March 4th.

Oooh, snazzy. I don't like the legion and usually shoot them up, but I might still run that.
    What the hell is a water chip supposed to do anyway.
    So it's really just a macguffin.

The water chip controls the water purifier. It does not purify the water by itself. It's basically an old fashioned vacuum tube processor, nothing more. The name makes sense, and if it breaks the purifiers won't work.

You're not actually sent out to locate the filters themselves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #885
    August 2009
    7,895 Posts
    So I just played Fallout 3 on the Xbox for the first time in a long time.

Oh god all the bugs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #886
    June 2011
    3,281 Posts
    Anyone know any mods that reduce the weight of microfusion cells? I finally created an energy weapons/heavy armour character, and I'm sick of the ammo weighing so fucking much.

Also, I don't think I'll be able to use the medium sized version of nmcs texture pack; does the small version still look far better than the vanilla textures, even when they're large?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #887
    it's pronounced camel
    May 2010
    3,342 Posts
    Anyone know any mods that reduce the weight of microfusion cells? I finally created an energy weapons/heavy armour character, and I'm sick of the ammo weighing so fucking much.

Also, I don't think I'll be able to use the medium sized version of nmcs texture pack; does the small version still look far better than the vanilla textures, even when they're large?
    That's the point of adding ammo weight, you have to compromise. If you really don't like it, turn off Hardcore mode. There are mods that increase difficulty (weapon damage, radiation gain, safe falling distance etc) and also add the hardcore features such as hunger and thirst, so you can choose which hardcore features you want.

8. Post #888
    October 2008
    3,916 Posts
    Ammo weight is a bitch in hardcore, but it's real immersive. I tend to stick to boolit weapons exactly because energy cells and microfusion cells weigh so much. A microfusion cell, by itself, is .1 lbs. Meaning that if you want to carry 800 microfusion cells for a gauss rifle, plasma rifle, and another energy weapon, you need to carry 80 extra lbs of weight. Alternatively, similar amounts of ammo for a sniper rifle, assault carbine, and battle rifle are <30 lbs total. It's pretty ridiculous.

EDIT// According to in-game weights, two similarly equipped Couriers, one with energy weapons, one with bullet slingers;

Energy
    Firearms
    Plasma Rifle - 8 lbs
    Gauss Rifle - 7 lbs
    Laser RCW - 4 lbs

Ammo
    800 MF Cells - 62.9 lbs
    300 EC Packs - 7.5 lbs

Total: 89.4 lbs

Bullets
    Firearms
    Hunting Rifle - 6 lbs
    Sniper Rifle - 8 lbs
    Assault Carbine - 6 lbs

Ammo
    400 .308 Rounds - 22 lbs
    300 5mm Rounds - 5.1 lbs

Total: 48.1 lbs

Each non-sniper weapon has enough ammo for 300 shots. The sniper weapons, the Gauss Rifle and Sniper Rifle, each have enough for 100 shots. You can see that although the guns themselves tend to weigh more on the Bullet side, their lightweight ammo more than makes up for it.
    (I should probably also specify that these are comparable ammo amounts because the Gauss rifle fires 5 MF cells per shot, so 100 shots = 500 cells)

9. Post #889
    Real men have mods that make everything, even caps have weight

and then die from a huge raider hit because they didn't have ammo and cry like a bitch :frown:   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #890
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,867 Posts
    You're a funny guy, I'm sorry but fast combat gets very boring very quickly, I like Fallout's combat because I can plan everything out the way I want to, not just run in like retard, guns blazing.

I would kill for a good Turn Based RPG, I'm fucking sick of every game coming out being First Person, its fucking old. Good thing I have Dead State to look forward to, and the Obsidian Kick Starter RPG, and Wasteland 2, the X-Com Enemy Unknown Remake, and who knows how many others that I have to find.

Oh yeah, Turn Based sure is dead.

also I predict hoodoo456 will disagree without saying why, as usual.
    I understand this. I do like tactics, but they aren't as prevalent in Turn-based combat for me. There can be plenty of tactics applied to other forms of combat (Note I didn't just say FPS' in my post. I'm including other forms of combat too) In an FPS you still need to (sometimes anyways) outmaneuver and outflank the enemy and it can provide a very tactical experience.

It just feels like the ability to plan everything out is cheating. You don't get 15 minutes to prepare your next maneuver in a real combat scenario, do you? I mean, if turn based combat was nice, fast, and had better results (There was a TB game released recently where you controlled a squad of green hologram things that was very nice simply because it was fast and flowing while still allowing time for planning. I liked it anyways) then it would be fine.

Hell, as long as turn-based combat is graphically pleasing enough that I feel like I'm having an impact on the enemy when I land a successful blow (It pisses me off that they hardly move in the original Fallout's and barely react to your actions until you or they die) and actually feel like tactics. Fallout was more "stand in same spot and endlessly shoot at the giant rat in front of you" rather then turn-based tactics, and most of that can be attributed to the wretched things known as the grid-system.

Basically what 'm trying to say is that the original Fallout's were more about what skills you had and what weapons/armor you had before going into combat, not how good your actual gaming skills are.

But hey, it's all opinions. I can still see why some people might prefer FO's turnbased style, I just cannot enjoy it myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #891
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,352 Posts
    I still long for the day when i can find a mod that disables Ammo Weight in hardcore, im always fucking over-encumbered anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #892
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,102 Posts
    If I recall, the purpose to the Vault experiments were to determine how humans would adapt to a number of different situations. In most cases, I wouldn't say they failed as it's impossible for an experiment to fail if its purpose is simply to see what happens. As to why the Enclave didn't just use the Vaults to indoctrinate everyone, there was still survivors in the outside world who were untouched by their influence. The experiments would give the Enclave the edge it needed to rebuild because they had data on what social structures worked and what didn't.

On a New Vegas note, anybody got their eyes on any mods in particular? I'm looking forward to Caesar's New Regime, a Legion overhaul mod by dragbody. He says he plans to release it by March 4th.

it looks like a Roman gay bar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #893
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,354 Posts
    I still long for the day when i can find a mod that disables Ammo Weight in hardcore, im always fucking over-encumbered anyways.
    I'm playing JE Sawyers mod for hardcore mode, don't you dare complain about vanilla hardcore mode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

14. Post #894
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,507 Posts
    The water chip controls the water purifier. It does not purify the water by itself. It's basically an old fashioned vacuum tube processor, nothing more. The name makes sense, and if it breaks the purifiers won't work.You're not actually sent out to locate the filters themselves.
    Then it seems like if it was just a simple processor built to control a series of purifiers than wouldn't it be easier to take any other chip of a similar type and re-purpose it in order to be able to perform the same job as the old chip? I mean controlling a water purifier doesn't seem like a function that would be too difficult to program.

15. Post #895
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,354 Posts
    That water chip had been giving them problems forever, I think they went over all the options before sending someone out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

16. Post #896
    I understand this. I do like tactics, but they aren't as prevalent in Turn-based combat for me. There can be plenty of tactics applied to other forms of combat (Note I didn't just say FPS' in my post. I'm including other forms of combat too) In an FPS you still need to (sometimes anyways) outmaneuver and outflank the enemy and it can provide a very tactical experience.

It just feels like the ability to plan everything out is cheating. You don't get 15 minutes to prepare your next maneuver in a real combat scenario, do you? I mean, if turn based combat was nice, fast, and had better results (There was a TB game released recently where you controlled a squad of green hologram things that was very nice simply because it was fast and flowing while still allowing time for planning. I liked it anyways) then it would be fine.

Hell, as long as turn-based combat is graphically pleasing enough that I feel like I'm having an impact on the enemy when I land a successful blow (It pisses me off that they hardly move in the original Fallout's and barely react to your actions until you or they die) and actually feel like tactics. Fallout was more "stand in same spot and endlessly shoot at the giant rat in front of you" rather then turn-based tactics, and most of that can be attributed to the wretched things known as the grid-system.

Basically what 'm trying to say is that the original Fallout's were more about what skills you had and what weapons/armor you had before going into combat, not how good your actual gaming skills are.

But hey, it's all opinions. I can still see why some people might prefer FO's turnbased style, I just cannot enjoy it myself.
    If you don't play Fallout with good combat skills... you. are. fucked. I enjoy it, but honestly, it's not as good as FPS.

fallout 3/NV/Skyrim however, if you can outrun and out smart an enemy, you MIGHT be able to pull off being a pacifist, almost. You can also plant runes/bombs throughout the areas and trip them into running into it, or simply walk into a certain hall in skyrim with the axes and watch as enemies basically cut themselves down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #897
    February 2010
    1,015 Posts
    Fallout 1/2 was completely playable as a pacifist if you want. It'd just mean skipping some parts of the game. You could even play it and beat it as a retarded person with < 4 intelligence
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #898
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,948 Posts

fallout 3/NV/Skyrim however, if you can outrun and out smart an enemy, you MIGHT be able to pull off being a pacifist, almost. You can also plant runes/bombs throughout the areas and trip them into running into it, or simply walk into a certain hall in skyrim with the axes and watch as enemies basically cut themselves down.
    New Vegas actually made it easier to play a pacifist. It's perfectly possible to do there. I don't know about Skyrim since I haven't played that, and in Fallout 3 it's quite difficult since the game is designed around you shooting enough people to equal a small natural disaster.

Then it seems like if it was just a simple processor built to control a series of purifiers than wouldn't it be easier to take any other chip of a similar type and re-purpose it in order to be able to perform the same job as the old chip? I mean controlling a water purifier doesn't seem like a function that would be too difficult to program.
    Apparently it was. either that or they already tried the Dave's Farm approach, failed, tried the Top Gear approach, failed, tried duck tape, and failed again.

Turn Hardcore off.

Yaeh, I use the small ones and they look great. When they work. My install borked though, so only half the textures actually installed.

Ammo weight is a bitch in hardcore, but it's real immersive.
    I found it less immersive and quite tedious. I had it on for all of the time it took to complete the starter quests in Goodsprings. Turned it off before I hit I15.

The ammo weight isn't what annoyed me, as at that point I barely had any ammo to speak of. What did was how frequently my courier needed a drink. Just going from Chet's store to the bar was enough.

Maybe it's just the part of me that doesn't want realism in my games?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #899
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,719 Posts
    That water chip had been giving them problems forever, I think they went over all the options before sending someone out.
    Does it update DLC content? Still havent played OWB and LR, looking for a mod to get me back into the game.

Oops, wrong quote.. was referring to JE sawyers hardcore mode

Edited:

Bad continuity in anything just annoys the piss out of me.
    It was just laziness on their part. A braindamaged rhesus monkey could have come up with a fairly logical story explanation as to why DC is still so intact. They really should have taken the 10 minutes required to add some continuity to the setting and environment.

Also why does the DC wasteland need to be so brown 200 years after the bombs drop... Some greenery here and there would have made the game a lot cooler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #900
    September 2011
    1,708 Posts
    The Isometric view is one of the things that made Fallout the way it was, along with its combat, its art style, its very dark comedy, its atmosphere.

How would people react if Blizzard made Diablo 3 into a FPS, the backlash would be insane.
    It doesn't have to be a FPS. It could be a Mass Effect (1) style game, just the same but with fluid combat instead of turn based and a dynamic camera instead of isometric.

Maybe KOTOR would be a better example.

Edited:

Also why does the DC wasteland need to be so brown 200 years after the bombs drop... Some greenery here and there would have made the game a lot cooler.
    Greenworld + Enhanced Weather + Fellout made Fallout 3 amazing and immersive.

Edited:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downlo...le.php?id=2456
    http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downlo...le.php?id=6170
    http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downlo...le.php?id=2672

For the darker nights, throw in some Powered Nightvision goggles.

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downlo...le.php?id=2725
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

21. Post #901
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,352 Posts
    I'm playing JE Sawyers mod for hardcore mode, don't you dare complain about vanilla hardcore mode.
    Im all for an immersive challenge, but not when its just tedious and annoying as fuck.

Just flat out inconvenience is not fun. Why do I play games? For a good time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #902
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,719 Posts
    It doesn't have to be a FPS. It could be a Mass Effect (1) style game, just the same but with fluid combat instead of turn based and a dynamic camera instead of isometric.

Maybe KOTOR would be a better example.

Edited:

Greenworld + Enhanced Weather + Fellout made Fallout 3 amazing and immersive.

Edited:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downlo...le.php?id=2456
    http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downlo...le.php?id=6170
    http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downlo...le.php?id=2672

For the darker nights, throw in some Powered Nightvision goggles.

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downlo...le.php?id=2725
    I used their world and it actually kind of looked like a believable post-nuclear washington DC. Still though everybody acts like its a desert still and that cant really be changed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

23. Post #903
    ~blue 4evr~
    October 2009
    10,782 Posts
    dafuq
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #904
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,354 Posts
    Im all for an immersive challenge, but not when its just tedious and annoying as fuck.

Just flat out inconvenience is not fun. Why do I play games? For a good time.
    I find a good challenge is fun, and I am enjoying JE Sawyers Mod, plus it fixes a bunch of things.

Edited:

Guys what should the next thread be called?

25. Post #905
    if anyone wants to make the night super scarey, get the darker nights mod + real 4 eyes mod and

if you don't have glasses you basically have blurry vision, plus it's dark as fuck

26. Post #906
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,719 Posts
    Fallout Series Thread V11: It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we've got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50 year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it.

See how many of the words will fit in the title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #907
    August 2009
    4,246 Posts

28. Post #908
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    Obviously re-installing, knowing that there are more mods out there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #909
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,001 Posts
    I remember there being a proper shaders mod. Anyone got a link?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Pakistan Show Events

30. Post #910
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,948 Posts
    if anyone wants to make the night super scarey, get the darker nights mod

Unnecessary. Fellout's nights are literally so dark you can't see your own gun, and they make the days look better too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #911
    Unnecessary. Fellout's nights are literally so dark you can't see your own gun, and they make the days look better too.
    I had darker nights + real 4 eyes mod and ended up staying under an old street light the whole night, firing at anything near

I really wish there was a mod for random roaming ghoul attacks, that shit was crazy enough as it is.

32. Post #912
    February 2010
    16,302 Posts

That lack of brown
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #913
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,550 Posts
    And spoiling. Just saying.
    You had 15 years to play Fallout 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #914
    November 2010
    2,635 Posts
    Not to mention that you learn about it in the first or second hour of the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #915
    Well , i'm 16 , so how the hell should've i played it as i was 1 years old ?

That's joke, read some posts bellow before rating me dumb please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #916
    I HAVE SEVERE AUTISM AND IM FRIENDS WITH BRONYS
    April 2006
    2,756 Posts
    Time travel... Durrrr

37. Post #917
    November 2010
    2,635 Posts
    Well, I'm 16, and the first time I played it was... three years ago, I think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #918
    Well, I'm 16, and the first time I played it was... three years ago, I think?
    Anyway, that was just a joke, i have played both fallout games.
    Gotta find fallout tactics (my father had it somewhere)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

39. Post #919
    November 2010
    2,635 Posts
    Anyway, that was just a joke, i have played both fallout games.
    Gotta find fallout tactics (my father had it somewhere)
    Man, Tactics is fun. I wish it had a speech system though. Whose fucking idea was to axe the speech system in a Fallout game, anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #920
    March 2011
    4,175 Posts
    Whenever I play Fallout 2 the graphics are all messed up, purple everywhere, the game doesn't fit screen resolution and I can't find the options to set it. What do?