1. Post #921
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,861 Posts
    I remember hearing it described somewhere as the difference between driving a manual and driving an automatic. With a manual, you feel more in touch with the car. Automatic can be smoother and easier. They both have perks, but it's all up to personal preference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #922
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    and ultimately, manual is better anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #923
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,110 Posts
    It's black crack
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #924
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I don't think describing vinyl as "more realistic" is getting through to many, it just comes off as showy imo.

What do others say when people ask why you listen?
    Vinyl sounds wider, that's as blunt as I can make it.

On a good vinyl I can hear deeper basses and higher trebles, very rarely any signs of compression and the individual instruments have much more breathing room between eachother
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #925
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,707 Posts
    Vinyl sounds wider, that's as blunt as I can make it.

On a good vinyl I can hear deeper basses and higher trebles, very rarely any signs of compression and the individual instruments have much more breathing room between eachother
    ahh, too complex an answer for the average joe.

How about something you'd say to someone with a bit of sense but not overly obsessed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #926
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,230 Posts
    Can't you just be like "It is fun and I like it." and if they try to argue that than call them dummies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #927
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,273 Posts
    Update to my vinyl collection from my post on the previous page:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

8. Post #928
    November 2009
    272 Posts

Add these to my collection today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #929
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,861 Posts

My very first vinyl. Got it for $2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #930
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,707 Posts
    you americans have some really neat things in thrift stores where as we have nothing.

I was blown away by a Tom Waits record I found in one, but that's all.

11. Post #931
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,230 Posts
    I bought a copy of Black Sabbath - Master of Reality for $5. I had never heard it before but I really liked Paranoid. This was by far one of my smartest purchases I have made in my life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #932
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    you americans have some really neat things in thrift stores where as we have nothing.

I was blown away by a Tom Waits record I found in one, but that's all.
    Hull's a good place for finds because we've got loads of charity/second hand shops because EVERYONE IS POOR AND THERE ARE NO JOBS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #933
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,110 Posts
    Charity shops always have the same records in them, occasionally you'll get lucky but it's rare.

14. Post #934
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,707 Posts
    Charity shops always have the same records in them, occasionally you'll get lucky but it's rare.
    not really with the ones I go to, there's usually a new collection of crap each time :-)

15. Post #935
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,110 Posts
    no, what I mean is whatever charity shop you go to they've got the same sort of stuff in. Even if it's miles away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #936
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,707 Posts
    Yeah I get what you mean. It's quite funny to see them though, especially the names.

17. Post #937
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,861 Posts
    I was recently in a Goodwill store, and all they had was Christmas compilations and top polka hits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

18. Post #938
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    copped some classical: beethoven's ninth, mahler's ninth, vivaldi's four season, saetie piano works (ciccolini), tchakovsky's pathetique, handel's water music, and a collection of mussorgsky and rimsky-korsakov.

and a neat finish tango record.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

19. Post #939
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,110 Posts
    Always shit loads of classical in charity shops. And polka
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #940
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    fucktons of classical-FM classical, at least.

21. Post #941
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,861 Posts
    My aunt is an English teacher, and when she was cleaning her room she found an Audiotronics 312VT record player from 1974 along with some 12" Shakespeare stuff. I didn't take the Shakespeare, but the player is awesome. The sound quality is, in my opinion, really great. Don't know how it would sound to an audiophile, but to me it's perfect. It's easily portable in case you want to take it around (basically converts to a big briefcase when you aren't using it). It's also cool having a vintage player.

22. Post #942
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,110 Posts
    oh guys i bought a pair of turntables, mixer and 50 garage tunes for cheap

can't wait for it to get here

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,320 Posts
    Bought my first record the other day.

It looks all lonely by itself though, need to buy more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #944
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    415 Posts
    Got Camel's first album yesterday. One of the best debut records ever.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #945
    November 2007
    900 Posts
    Bought my first record the other day.

It looks all lonely by itself though, need to buy more.
    Super good purchase, fantastic album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #946
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,861 Posts
    Got Rush's Moving Pictures and Deep Purple's Machine Head today. My collection has come to a mighty 3 records.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #947
    March 2010
    4,435 Posts
    Found my favorite album of all time, In The Areoplan Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

I haven't been this happy about a record in a long time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #948
    PHD IN SUCKING DICK
    June 2008
    7,027 Posts
    Found my favorite album of all time, In The Areoplan Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

I haven't been this happy about a record in a long time.
    I've seen this picture on tumblr a few days ago when I was browsing the vinyl tag. Good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

29. Post #949
    March 2010
    4,435 Posts
    I've seen this picture on tumblr a few days ago when I was browsing the vinyl tag. Good job.
    Well I did post it on my tumblr, and thanks!

30. Post #950
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,230 Posts
    So I bought King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King off of Discogs through a vendor (depending on how he reacts to this, I'll let you know or not). My package arrived yesterday and I opened it and this thing was inside of it instead of ItCotCK

I had never heard it before but it's pretty cool. Perhaps it was divine intervention (most likely this) and I was meant to explore the King Crimson discography a little bit more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

31. Post #951
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,707 Posts
    well... not sure if I'd be pissed or not. They're both awesome records, just comes down to how much you spent.

32. Post #952
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,230 Posts
    $10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #953
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,707 Posts
    damn that's a good price.

You'd be lucky to find a good copy in this country for 10+

34. Post #954
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,230 Posts
    Yeah the only thing that it said it wasn't of top condition was a seam tear. When I asked him about it he told me it wasn't bad. I asked him if it's something I could probably fix with glue and for a picture he got snappy and said "Friend, like I said..." I'm not sure I'm pleased with this dude.

This result was pretty neat so far.

35. Post #955
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    considering asking for Dub 1 on vinyl for my birthday. It's one pof my favourite albums ever and something about it makes me think it'd sound amazing on vinyl (early dub ect)

36. Post #956
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,102 Posts
    So I bought King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King off of Discogs through a vendor (depending on how he reacts to this, I'll let you know or not). My package arrived yesterday and I opened it and this thing was inside of it instead of ItCotCK

I had never heard it before but it's pretty cool. Perhaps it was divine intervention (most likely this) and I was meant to explore the King Crimson discography a little bit more.
    Best KC album in my opinion. If I were you I'd just keep it

Edited:

Also, I just ordered this a few days ago

Can't wait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #957
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,707 Posts
    that must be rare as heck, nice find.

38. Post #958
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,230 Posts
    No, it just got re-issued. Or, actually I don't know if it was ever released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #959
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,102 Posts
    What he said

Here's the link if you're interested, which you should be:
    http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/releases/sbr3008/

40. Post #960
    Otter Member
    May 2011
    4,608 Posts

Add these to my collection today.
    Oh hey I just got Are You Experienced? too. I had Electric Ladyland for a while though.

I got these yesterday, I was going to get The Wall by Pink Floyd to complete my collection, but it was 52 bucks and didn't want to shell it out at the time.

I haven't opened Kid A yet, but I want to listen to it. It just looks so nice in its packaging~