1. Post #81
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    720 Posts
    So I said I would make a Spleef arena. Well, here it is.

4 hours, 4 compiles
    Will be released shortly after playtesting. The button resets the arena by killing all blocks and respawning their template.

I made this the other day for the lulz. Tw34k told me about an old CS 1.6 map like this so I had to try it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 7Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    697 Posts
    No mirrors in half life so for reflective floors in 1.6 you made the floor transparent and mirrored the entire room upside down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 28Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    Started dicking around in the Portal 2 editor.
    After 5 hours of work (including relearning or learning how to do things [box dropper]) I've got this.

Tips, suggestions?
    I haven't been in hammer for quite some time, not for more than 10 minutes at least.

2nd screenshot is of a slightly older version, only difference is the water is lower and a few textures were changed. Most noticeably the texture around the exit door is now portal panel rather than metal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    My first ever map (epic pile of crap that took me days):

Started re-making it. Its already way better and Ive only been working on it off and on for the past few hours.
    I still need to add the outside walls, this is just the pillars/ceiling.

Id love some feedback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    May 2009
    315 Posts
    OH MY LAWD. A realistic sports arena...that just happens to be a hockey arena...

That map could be one of the most amazing...ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    My first ever map (epic pile of crap that took me days):

Started re-making it. Its already way better and Ive only been working on it off and on for the past few hours.
    I still need to add the outside walls, this is just the pillars/ceiling.

Id love some feedback.
    Keep going. You're definitely off to a good start.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    408 Posts
    Hey guys, I've been gone for a while, but I'm back and I thought I'd update you guys on the progress of my Bullworth Academy replication. HERE WE GO:

I'm always at my best when working with reference pictures. In this case, I took tons of screenshots in Bully. Coming out really good. The two hallways I have done actually linked together without me even looking at the ends. So that's cool.

I put the construction textures on for the hell of it. All textures are temporary, of course. The windows will probably need to be made into a model. The brushwork railing is temporary, unless I can't find some proper models, find out how to model them myself, or get someone to make them.

Which could be a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    [b]MASSIVE HOMOPHOBE[/b]

April 2010
    3,562 Posts
    Construction textures as dev textures?

brilliant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 34Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,052 Posts
    So I said I would make a Spleef arena. Well, here it is.

4 hours, 4 compiles
    Will be released shortly after playtesting. The button resets the arena by killing all blocks and respawning their template.
    It looks a little...blocky
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Zing Zing x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    September 2008
    1,267 Posts
    Started dicking around in the Portal 2 editor.
    After 5 hours of work (including relearning or learning how to do things [box dropper]) I've got this.

Tips, suggestions?
    I haven't been in hammer for quite some time, not for more than 10 minutes at least.

2nd screenshot is of a slightly older version, only difference is the water is lower and a few textures were changed. Most noticeably the texture around the exit door is now portal panel rather than metal.
    Looks like you got the hang of it. The lighting could use a bit of tweaking, but it looks fine as it is. For further rooms I recommend you add more depth. Remember to increase the difficulty as you progress from one room to another.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #92
    July 2010
    200 Posts

What do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,052 Posts
    Fuck is up with the texturing on those trees on the left of the first picture?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #94
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    the water looks a bit bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #95
    October 2010
    751 Posts
    Where is everyone getting there amazing skyboxes? I finally figure out how to make skybox textures and cgtextures takes down there free skys D:
    http://www.gamebanana.com/css/textures/cats/28
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    January 2012
    112 Posts
    hi i'm back whit mine apartment i created a hotel hallway for it so what do you think? o and thanks for help whit elevator DasMatze it worked as you see

didn't know what the hell did i was thinking creating this wall detale

and what do you think is night okay for dis map?

next lobby.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Winner Winner x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,712 Posts
    You have so many lights which do not light things up properly at all, you should try to fix it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

18. Post #98

December 2010
    55 Posts
    What do you think?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    I think that light on the wall is way too bright. It shouldn't be anywhere near as bright as the sunlight.
    I'd almost say that you should just have the light turned off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #100
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    720 Posts
    What do you think?

Light_spot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    697 Posts
    Why so many smoke detectors?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #102
    December 2009
    2,627 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,712 Posts
    Dirty, ruined walls and floor, while the counter is quite clean in comparison, it should be more greyed out with stains and chips all over, light looks quite pleasant, I guess if light had flickering and be more of orange colour then it would be fine, it would look more abandoned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #104
    December 2009
    2,627 Posts
    Dirty, ruined walls and floor, while the counter is quite clean in comparison, it should be more greyed out with stains and chips all over, light looks quite pleasant, I guess if light had flickering and be more of orange colour then it would be fine, it would look more abandoned.
    Its not abandoned, its more of a used, old and poor look I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

25. Post #105
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    Its not abandoned, its more of a used, old and poor look I guess.
    I would hope its abandoned, I wouldn't go into a kitchen with it looking like that

26. Post #106
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    I would hope its abandoned, I wouldn't go into a kitchen with it looking like that
    Clinical room, actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    Clinical room, actually.
    Oh didn't realize that

28. Post #108

December 2010
    55 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    February 2010
    643 Posts
    looks better tbh

but the lighting looks like its missing color... (the sun light) just my opinion

30. Post #110
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    Also, I dont see any doors, that would help a little

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    149 Posts
    The lighting doesn't match the skybox
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #112

December 2010
    55 Posts
    Also, I dont see any doors, that would help a little
    with the lighting in the door all in order (1/2 doors - in the shade)

The lighting doesn't match the skybox
    Why?
    I was set up light_env env_sun and in accordance with these parameters https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List
    With this, too, everything is fine, just a bad screenshot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,620 Posts
    Wheatley enjoying dat wheat

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Artistic x 10Winner x 6Funny x 3Friendly x 2Useful x 1Mapping King x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    I imagined wheatley wearing a cowboy hat and chewing on wheat but this is nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    December 2009
    2,627 Posts
    Is wheatly in a wheat field some sort of pun?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    April 2008
    58 Posts
    where are the highlights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    I am pretty sure it's from    the end of Portal 2   

Edited:

where are the highlights
    Here's one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    Been working on some textures.

Its just a quick map I threw together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Looks like you have a mix of light_spot and normal light, try sticking to one or the other if all of the lights are meant to be similar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

40. Post #120
    Looks like you have a mix of light_spot and normal light, try sticking to one or the other if all of the lights are meant to be similar.
    Nah, I think I just forgot a light_spot on one, and a light on the other.
    Just using either looks like shit, lights don't just project pure light and leave the fixture black; light bounces and creates a diffuse light around the projecting entity.

here are previous versions.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)