1. Post #2361
    November 2007
    93 Posts

Yep.

Lacks depth, but I don't wanna bother with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

2. Post #2362
    November 2011
    809 Posts
    Just curious about the left side, how did that train end up there??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #2363
    November 2007
    93 Posts
    Teleporter, End of episode 1. Instead of episode 2's story, every time a portal storm happens, it teleports random things to random places.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #2364
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    I bet colorcorrection would help with that depth there, I haven't used CC but I've seen that it can do some pretty neat stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2365
    I like to faps while I make maps
    December 2009
    1,451 Posts
    Yeah I think CC would help a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2366
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    Just curious about the left side, how did that train end up there??
    Black magic obviously.

7. Post #2367
    November 2007
    93 Posts
    Already uses some pretty heavy CC to get that pink cloud tint etc.

8. Post #2368
    March 2011
    166 Posts
    Could be, I will toss up a picture showing the scale later on, keep in mind that the ship broke in half while it sank down and lost a huge portion of the midsection, which explains why the bow is pretty small compared to the ship when it was in top condition and sailing.
    Just being a massive history nerd here but, on the last expedition they found the rest of the mid-section. After the front broke off and went down the rear ended up spiraling on the way down, the force threw off massive sections of the ship as it sunk. The result was it being spread over a massive area. So it didn't really lose anything... simply misplaced.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

9. Post #2369
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,715 Posts
    Working on my p2 mod again (this time on the beginning),very heavy WIP/rough concept.

I love you so damn much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #2370
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    Man, you took what I was hoping to do and did it thousands of times better. Now I am jealous :<

This probably isn't the best representation but it looks short in this sense.

Especially on the red line. Something about it just isn't capturing how long that front bit was, and it feels kinda stubby because of it. Looks great regardless though.
    That might be because the actual ship's bow is broken and angled down were as his is still connected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #2371
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,616 Posts
    More progress on my build/RP map:
    How come the shadows from the traffic lights are so sharp while the shadows cast by the lamp posts are so blurry they're basically nonexistent?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #2372
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    How come the shadows from the traffic lights are so sharp while the shadows cast by the lamp posts are so blurry they're basically nonexistent?
    The lightmaps on the roads were probably lowered to reduce the map size and cut down the compile time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #2373
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    The traffic lights are dynamic props as far as I know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #2374
    December 2007
    236 Posts
    The traffic lights are dynamic props as far as I know.
    Yeah, the traffic lights have skins for each state, so they're dynamic props and have the 'dynamic' shadows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #2375
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    Maps for fucking around in are cool, right? I was messing around in hammer and just tested a bunch of things at the same time: Making stairs and curved corners, messing with light_spot, and in the upstairs room there's a breakable light (gotta give yourself a weapon though)

I may make this better or something eventually.. I dunno

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5061840/Mapp...rsTest_pak.bsp

Pretty simple stuff, but I was pretty satisfied when my breakable light worked, and even though I was remembering the stairs from a tutorial, I like how they came out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #2376
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,413 Posts
    More progress on my build/RP map:

I realise the brick texture in the third picture needs rotating about 90 degrees, but I've not got around to it yet.
    Nice driving & train driving map.

Edited:

Traffic lights are dynamic objects.

Edited:

Btw Gamedev, how's Jorpakko?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #2377
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts

Started a support beam in the style of the one from the Crysis 3 Trailer.

As seen to the left of the image.

Mines is a lot wider though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #2378
    December 2009
    2,629 Posts
    What? Another crysis game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2379
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts
    What? Another crysis game?

Full trailer was only released yesterday.

The support beam I'm using as a reference is seen at 0:43..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #2380
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts

Full trailer was only released yesterday.

The support beam I'm using as a reference is seen at 0:43..
    Can't wait to not buy it or care about it at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 10Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #2381
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts
    We all have our style of games, no need to be a smartass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #2382
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Like there are some people who actually enjoy playing football manager...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #2383
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    You would be surprised.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #2384
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,610 Posts
    Can't wait to find out it won't run on my lowly computer. As well as nearly all the other games. Oh well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #2385
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    You would be surprised.
    I know there are, that wasn't sarcasm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

26. Post #2386
    September 2008
    458 Posts

But anyway, here's some progress. Stiffy360, I tried your suggestion with smoothing groups but I couldn't get the lightmaps to align because I used alt+e to resize the main part of the pillars.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #2387
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,999 Posts
    Working on my p2 mod again (this time on the beginning),very heavy WIP/rough concept.

Let me guess, you start off as a frozen person that wakes up prematurely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

28. Post #2388
    May 2011
    3,610 Posts

But anyway, here's some progress. Stiffy360, I tried your suggestion with smoothing groups but I couldn't get the lightmaps to align because I used alt+e to resize the main part of the pillars.

Looks nice. What location/setting is it in?

29. Post #2389
    September 2008
    458 Posts
    It's based on the castles you get in the UK. It'll probably show more similarity to that setting when I add more rooms to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

30. Post #2390
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    I enjoyed Crysis 1, and Crysis 2 was fun more than anything. But Crysis 3 looks like they mashed the two games together, lazily reusing as much art as they could.

If they don't want hard critique they should wait till things are more polished before releasing trailers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #2391
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,973 Posts
    is this criticism?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #2392
    July 2008
    1,037 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Winner Winner x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

33. Post #2393
    March 2010
    1,078 Posts
    Have my babies. All of them. (You should fix the lighting though, it seemed like it looked better in the previous screens you posted.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

34. Post #2394
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I enjoyed Crysis 1, and Crysis 2 was fun more than anything. But Crysis 3 looks like they mashed the two games together, lazily reusing as much art as they could.

If they don't want hard critique they should wait till things are more polished before releasing trailers.
    I hope it's more like crysis than crysis 2. For me, crysis 2 pandaed to the consoles, completely ignoring how fun it was to flip a jeep by shooting out a tyre, or killing someone by dropping a tree on them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #2395
    July 2008
    1,037 Posts
    It's using the exact same settings, that was just a fast compile. It's also darker because I'm looking through glass.

Edited:

@paul
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

36. Post #2396
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    is this criticism?
    I left that in the thread about it.

Sorry for having an unbiased opinion!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #2397
    May 2011
    3,610 Posts
    Funny, I was just watching a playthrough of Mirrors Edge, and thinking, "You could make this in source, If not for map size limit."

38. Post #2398
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,795 Posts
    Any suggestions how to make a nice 90 degree road curve that will have a good texture that fits the rest of the road? I made one with arch tool, but when I textured it, it was fitting, it had a turn but it also had those lines that stick out when textures are misaligned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

39. Post #2399
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Any suggestions how to make a nice 90 degree road curve that will have a good texture that fits the rest of the road? I made one with arch tool, but when I textured it, it was fitting, it had a turn but it also had those lines that stick out when textures are misaligned.
    http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/20367
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #2400
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)