1. Post #2601

April 2012
    118 Posts
    I thought I had changed the skybox already. Maybe Hammer decided to autosave right as I was changing it and decided not to change it or something.
    I wouldn't touch the lighting though.

I dig it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2602
    I thought I had changed the skybox already. Maybe Hammer decided to autosave right as I was changing it and decided not to change it or something.
    One other suggestion, the volumetric models color tint is far too yellow.

3. Post #2603
    March 2010
    427 Posts

It took a very long time, but I now know how to make textures like the ones in ep2's caves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

4. Post #2604
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Is that door a custom model? It looks damn good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #2605
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,866 Posts
    Found the VMF of the old "Urbex" map I made a few pages ago, decided to retexture it and continue working on it. Credits to whats-his-face on Page 63 (the guy who experimented with color correction) for some creative inspiration involving hospitals and ceiling tiles.

Here's the starting hallway:

First room, from below:

From the floor:

Above (have to compliment myself on the special lighting techniques here):

Main hallway:

Working on the rest. Give suggestions/opinions if you're not lazy.
    And I know ya'll are lazy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Mapping King Mapping King x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #2606
    June 2008
    125 Posts
    CS:GO movie theater map I've been working on:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

7. Post #2607
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,581 Posts
    The ceiling seems wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2608
    June 2008
    125 Posts
    What about it exactly? That it's raised up like that?

9. Post #2609
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,958 Posts
    the cracked concrete texture doesnt really fit imo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2610
    It looks a bit washed-out in terms of contrast, there are highlights, but the only real shadow is the ceiling (and usually ceiling don't sink in that far and get that dark)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

11. Post #2611
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Really, I think it's just Vrad being stupid with the fact that linoleum floors reflect light a whole bunch, but it's not coming up to the roof properly because VRad doesn't count for the reflectivity of some textures when doing bouncelights. You'll probably want to artificially light up that roof with some low-brightness lights, and it'd look better.

And really, a cracked concrete on the ceiling doesn't make much sense in this case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

12. Post #2612
    June 2008
    125 Posts
    Thanks for the criticism, guys! This any better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

13. Post #2613
    July 2008
    1,037 Posts
    Much better!

Edited:

Also, maybe choose a different light model? several large industrial light fittings seem a bit odd in a cinema lobby
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2614
    make a little black gradient overlay so the black isn't so harsh.

15. Post #2615
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    That's a lot better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #2616
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,095 Posts

Far from finished, as you may notice the brush work is very blocky, and not all the textures are placed, but what do you think so far?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

17. Post #2617
    June 2010
    2,866 Posts

-snippies-

Far from finished, as you may notice the brush work is very blocky, and not all the textures are placed, but what do you think so far?
    It looks great; I love the open-air plaza. Where'd you get the texture for the tiles?

The whole thing reminds me of the old Sassilization Lobby map; all it needs is some chillout/lounge music and a bunch of fishtanks.

18. Post #2618
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,095 Posts
    Interesting you got those ideas. The map is for an upcomming project ( I won't give any details ), and I think you're getting the right vibes from it. To answer your question, I got the textures from cgtextures.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #2619
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,647 Posts

You probably want smoothing groups in some of those pillars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #2620
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,788 Posts
    Started to expand the outdoors, added an intersection and some props. Just basic stuff.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

21. Post #2621
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Started to expand the outdoors, added an intersection and some props. Just basic stuff.

Doesn't make sense, unless your lights are flashing yellow or red, but they can't because there isn't an 'off' skin for them.

22. Post #2622
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,933 Posts
    Damn this shit is hard, I'm just learning
    major respect for you guys
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

23. Post #2623
    October 2010
    259 Posts
    Hi there, here's a map I made. It's playground for Portal 2.

View from the top:

A couple of rooms:

Just trying to see what I can create. It's a second map I make.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

24. Post #2624
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,707 Posts
    Hi there, here's a map I made. It's playground for Portal 2.

View from the top:

A couple of rooms:

Just trying to see what I can create. It's a second map I make.
    That's is awesome.
    Get a download link quick!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

25. Post #2625
    October 2010
    259 Posts
    My friend says it's a bit laggy. I'm doing some optimization now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

26. Post #2626
    March 2011
    4,788 Posts
    Doesn't make sense, unless your lights are flashing yellow or red, but they can't because there isn't an 'off' skin for them.
    Those are the off version. And I just did a quick basic setup, didn't go into details yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

27. Post #2627
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

28. Post #2628
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts
    Death by dishwasher/laundry machine?

Look's great though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #2629
    Death by dishwasher/laundry machine?

Look's great though.
    it's part of a puzzle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #2630
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    There doesn't seem to be anything nearby that could've caused the bodies to char like that, and the ground around their corpses isn't charred. Unless it's part of your puzzle, maybe someone moved them there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2631
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #2632
    June 2010
    2,866 Posts
    Loving the fog in the second picture. Whole thing looks incredibly ominous, but you could make the fluorescent light above that fridge a bit brighter. The sprite/env makes it look like it would affect a bigger area, but the spotlight is practically invisible.

Other than that, everything looks great.

When're you planning for release?
    On a similar note... What's the map about?

33. Post #2633
    Loving the fog in the second picture. Whole thing looks incredibly ominous, but you could make the fluorescent light above that fridge a bit brighter. The sprite/env makes it look like it would affect a bigger area, but the spotlight is practically invisible.

Other than that, everything looks great.

When're you planning for release?
    On a similar note... What's the map about?
    hopefully it's going to be a mod, I'll probably release the map in a few days and if anybody likes it, I'll continue onto a mod.

right now there's not much narrative, right now it's really style over substance, the gameplays going to be more or less puzzles, platforming and atmosphere,

and if I get some skilled people I might get a few custom npcs for combat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

34. Post #2634
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,439 Posts
    Cascaded shadow maps!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2635
    June 2010
    2,866 Posts
    Cascaded shadow maps!

Wait a second, isn't that a ZS map from CS:S?

Oh, you sneaky porter, you :3

Ontopic, it looks nice, but why do the railings cast solid shadows? You should try disabling shadows for the full and then placing smaller "blocklight" brushes inside of the actual rails. If you're not going for aesthetics (similar to the 5-minute novelty ZS map style that you're porting) then heeyy, everything looks coolbeans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #2636
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,055 Posts
    My friend says it's a bit laggy. I'm doing some optimization now.
    I can already tell from looking at that last picture why it would be laggy. Try making it so the gels only dispense when you're standing on a button, instead of all at once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

37. Post #2637
    March 2011
    4,788 Posts
    Expanded the outside even more. Just putting down basic brushes and doing the layout. Also, ignore the thin looking building in the background, I fixed it now

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

38. Post #2638
    June 2010
    2,866 Posts
    Expanded the outside even more. Just putting down basic brushes and doing the layout. Also, ignore the thin looking building in the background, I fixed it now

Looks great! Can't wait for release.
    One thing, though; the skybox doesn't exactly fit the lighting. I'm pretty sure this is intentional, but something to note.

39. Post #2639
    December 2009
    2,627 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

40. Post #2640
    June 2010
    2,866 Posts
    u hav pefect map
    mari me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)