1. Post #5321
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    646 Posts
    Modular design my friend.

My map's made from 9 similar cells.
    One cell I made with 4 archways and one displacement.

After that, it's copy-paste.

The only trouble is making it look good.

And lighting, lighting takes damn long if you don't know what you're doing right off the hop.

Although it didn't take me six hours, it took me three at the absolute most.

I felt so dirty after working on this, I had to use vertex manipulation on the archways to get them on grid, resize them to make them fit which would throw it off grid.

Thanks to the displacements, it was leakier than broken faucet, so I encased the entire thing in a box and func-detailed everything else.

But hey, it looks nice.
    Yeah dirty is the same word I would use to express how I felt working on my version, mainly because I didn't use displacements because I'm a giant idiot.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of:

I quickly textured it to get a real feel of how it would look and besides the horrible reflectiveness of vanilla textures it looks pretty good.

I fucked up on the proportions of the map though, that would be my main regret.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #5322
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    149 Posts

Currently working on my Arms Race map for CS:GO called ar_alleyway. Still quite a bit to be done.

Edited:

Need to add some vents in that first picture and I'm probably going to get rid of the truck and maybe add in a bunch of boxes so it looks more like a warehouse of some sort.
    There would be no room for a trash truck to lift/move the dumpster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #5323
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,610 Posts
    Yeah dirty is the same word I would use to express how I felt working on my version, mainly because I didn't use displacements because I'm a giant idiot.

I quickly textured it to get a real feel of how it would look and besides the horrible reflectiveness of vanilla textures it looks pretty good.

This is a good example of source not playing well with highly detailed maps unless you model everything. Which seems to be the way valve is doing CS:GO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #5324
    Karen Gillan <3
    April 2006
    3,541 Posts

Has anyone got any idea why using prop_static on certain objects causes them to simply render/compile, despite them having "static" checked (allowed) in the model info?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5325
    September 2009
    949 Posts
    I have absolutely no idea how on earth you used the dev brick texture and got away with it. That is the only time I've seen it used and it didn't look bad. Amazing job. As for expansion, what exactly is the setting? Maybe add some tunnels or something?
    You mean the floor cobble?

That's a dev texture?

I've been using that for ages and this is the first I'm hearing that it's terribad.

I honestly don't know what the setting is, I was just trying to replicate the source image and lighting.
    Couldn't do the watery bit due to lack of custom content (I still have no idea how to properly create a texture for Source).

Edited:

Would you mind if I asked for the VMF?

I could see some serious lighting potential here.

I promise I won't touch the original brushwork :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #5326
    Karen Gillan <3
    April 2006
    3,541 Posts
    You mean the floor cobble?

That's a dev texture?

I've been using that for ages and this is the first I'm hearing that it's terribad.
    It's bad because a lot of people (such as myself) have it (or had it) as the default hammer texture, and after so long it just becomes a complete eyesore, I can't even look at it as a proper texture.

when I see it, I just sigh at how "unfriendly" it suddenly looks, I honestly can't see it fitting in with any other texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #5327
    September 2009
    949 Posts
    It's bad because a lot of people (such as myself) have it (or had it) as the default hammer texture, and after so long it just becomes a complete eyesore, I can't even look at it as a proper texture.

when I see it, I just sigh at how "unfriendly" it suddenly looks, I honestly can't see it fitting in with any other texture.
    Ah, I see what you mean.

I reconfigured my Hammer settings, now it loads with those grey dev textures, particularly the medium-grey one, 60% I think it is.

Jesus I type like William Shatner talks, commas everywhere, akward pauses, and a sudden flow of random words.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #5328
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    646 Posts
    Would you mind if I asked for the VMF?

I could see some serious lighting potential here.

I promise I won't touch the original brushwork :3
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/arch_trainin...ckdefuckup.vmf

Viewer discretion is advised.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #5329
    September 2009
    949 Posts
    All you were missing was some good old fashioned lighting.

I think it looks just fine

Although in hindsight, that radiosity light might be a wee bit too bright.

Want that VMF back?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 5Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

10. Post #5330
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,401 Posts
    That looks really cool. Nice job on that.

-snip, wrong thread-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

11. Post #5331
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    646 Posts
    All you were missing was some good old fashioned lighting.

I think it looks just fine

Although in hindsight, that radiosity light might be a wee bit too bright.

Want that VMF back?
    Yeah upload it I'd like to see how you managed to get that effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

12. Post #5332
    September 2009
    949 Posts
    Yeah upload it I'd like to see how you managed to get that effect.
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/arch_trainin...kdefuckup1.vmf

Lots of TLC.
    Tender lighting care.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #5333
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,502 Posts
    made a quick thing for someone :V

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

14. Post #5334
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts

Not entirely sure what to use this for yet, just posting to keep my motivation going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #5335
    January 2010
    5,907 Posts
    made a quick thing for someone :V

Tell me you are not leaving it dev textures?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #5336
    I love maps like the one above, so tiny and compact yet after a round riddled with bullet marks, blood, corpses and great stories of shooting the fuck out of each other
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

17. Post #5337

August 2012
    4 Posts
    Seems cool :) keep up the work.

- And the devīs are just placeholders right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

18. Post #5338
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts

Today's work. Yeh i know i said i would never map in source again, but i needed something else to fill my head than that infernal tutorial code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

19. Post #5339
    January 2010
    5,907 Posts

Today's work. Yeh i know i said i would never map in source again, but i needed something else to fill my head than that infernal tutorial code.
    Flat dirt? Displacements would make this much prettier. Shadows look off too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #5340
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,223 Posts
    What you think ?

I didnt have the right texture and i just feel lazy to make it myself it only for training me to rebuilding stuff from a picture

It took me less than 2 hours .. it was a quick test .. i may make the entire building later idk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

21. Post #5341
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Flat dirt? Displacements would make this much prettier. Shadows look off too.
    Adding displacements in now. Some of the shadows do look a bit odd actually...hmm...i'll stab them a little :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #5342
    September 2009
    1,223 Posts
    i recorded a little video of my Test chamber

Its a fast walkthrough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #5343
    May 2011
    3,502 Posts
    Ugh, A lot of progress today. Will fix the 3D skybox :)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 14Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

24. Post #5344
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts

Looks beautiful! I love what you done with the original to make it your own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #5345
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,499 Posts
    Hey guys, I'm working on recreating the Black Marsh in The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, but not in the shitty way that everyone on the nexus is.

screenshots:

Also, if you want to join a little facepunch skyrim modding group I made, here's the link!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fptesv

It would be awesome to get a group of modders together to make one big collaboration.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #5346
    September 2009
    1,223 Posts

There is something weird on the left column of the first picture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #5347
    May 2011
    3,502 Posts
    There is something weird on the left column of the first picture
    I misaligned the prop and forgot to fix it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #5348
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    I misaligned the prop and forgot to fix it.
    How large is the map expected to be in regards to the original?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

29. Post #5349
    May 2011
    3,502 Posts
    How large is the map expected to be in regards to the original?
    I'm basing it of the CSS version, but the map size is the same, I just added some more fancy stuff, plus balancing stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #5350
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    I'm basing it of the CSS version, but the map size is the same, I just added some more fancy stuff, plus balancing stuff.
    Seems good. Is there a location set?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

31. Post #5351
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,510 Posts

I'll probably put up a thread in a bit for the first version release soon.

Does anyone here have or know someone who has a server who would be willing to host a this for testing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

32. Post #5352
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    762 Posts
    More textures and details video coming soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

33. Post #5353
    May 2011
    2,464 Posts

The skybox has quite obvious corners and the clouds are far too flat at some parts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #5354
    Level Design Portfolio
    November 2009
    2,040 Posts
    More textures and details video coming soon.
    Change the texture of those two support pillars. It looks really off. Also, use some decals.

35. Post #5355
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    397 Posts
    I like those happy little clouds <3 The map is coming out great!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #5356
    May 2011
    3,502 Posts
    I can't get it to look right :(

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #5357
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,869 Posts
    Try just putting snow on the horizontal (or close) faces.

38. Post #5358
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,510 Posts
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$seamless_scale

That might help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #5359
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,055 Posts
    I can't get it to look right :(

Reduce the noise, I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events

40. Post #5360
    December 2009
    2,570 Posts
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$seamless_scale

That might help.