1. Post #5841
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    155 Posts
    The result of no Internet for 2 weeks and nothing but the SDK Works on Steam offline, I'm not much of a mapper but I had fun, it's not done yet though. This all all happened after watching an episode of Star Trek, and I was so bored, I said sure I'll make something like that.
    it's very dark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #5842
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,394 Posts
    I've been waiting for my map to compile for the last eight hours.

My god, why did I forget to optimise.
    Switch vis to fast for now and start adding hints

beware-- areaportals are ignored on fast vis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

3. Post #5843
    September 2008
    1,257 Posts
    More temple wip screenshots.

Edit* Does the temple look better this way?

Edit* Damn, the layout changes rapidly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

4. Post #5844
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,888 Posts
    More temple wip screenshots.

Edit* Damn, the layout changes rapidly.
    Try to avoid changing the layout too drastically after you've laid in a base ground gameplay arena that works, it can wreck shit up when it comes to testing again (Assuming you've already tested it before detailing)

edit: why is this getting disagrees, it's gameplay first, detail last.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5845
    February 2008
    367 Posts
    Alright, still too bright? I lowered the light from 100 to 50

I don't know that it's too much brightness so much as it is a lack of contrast. When the lighting is fairly uniform like that your eyes tend to wander, which can be really annoying in combat situations.

I think the problem in your case is the (im guessing) light entities shining upwards onto the ceiling. There's no conceivable way that amount of light (or that focused of light for that matter) could reach up there, since the fixtures have opaque tops. So get rid of (or at least tone down) the lights and stick with downward pointing spots.

Ideally the ceiling should be darkish (emphasis on the ish) and in shadow, with bright light saved exclusively for key locations the player should be looking at.

Example:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #5846
    June 2012
    62 Posts

I made some arches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #5847
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,473 Posts

WIP of a Half-Life 2: Deathmatch map, set in a ghost town a few miles away from C17.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Mapping King Mapping King x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #5848
    April 2009
    1,095 Posts

WIP of a Half-Life 2: Deathmatch map, set in a ghost town a few miles away from C17.
    Reminds me Red Dead Redemption Church for some reason.. looking nice so far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #5849
    March 2010
    1,043 Posts
    Switch vis to fast for now and start adding hints
    beware-- areaportals are ignored on fast vis
    Wha- Wait a minute. Does that also mean that areaportals will totally screw up when you try and compile them with VIS set to fast, and only will work in the compile if it is normal? You have got to be kidding me. That's what prevented me from progressing in my map, because I've been stuck at optimization and for whatever reason, i could never get areaportals to work no matter what I did, even when any areaportal was done 100% properly. PLEASE tell me that's all I needed to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

10. Post #5850
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    EDIT: added more screens

This is basically just a pretty angle

Closer view, street may be kind of empty in some parts, I still got to add a building on the corner, tell me how can I improve the lighting

The bar, gotta add some stuff on those tables

Back part of the map

I'm gonna add a 3D skybox later, also huge thanks to the author of that sky texture, it's awesome.

Can someone tell me how to add proper waves to that ocean?
    I tried putting various overlays on the ocean with the animated shorewave texture, but in-game the waves come without transparency and their animation is all weird.
    How on earth do you people make your maps look so amazing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #5851
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,121 Posts
    How on earth do you people make your maps look so amazing?
    a form of witchcraft, im sure of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #5852
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    a form of witchcraft, im sure of it.
    pretty sure it's a form of worldcraft actually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 17Zing Zing x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #5853
    January 2012
    17 Posts
    Time + Patience + Magic powder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #5854
    August 2012
    107 Posts
    Still trying to recreate Buzludzha.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events Artistic Artistic x 13Winner Winner x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #5855
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    So. Many. Vertex. Errors. Still, I really admire the effort. Especially the hands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

16. Post #5856
    August 2012
    107 Posts
    So. Many. Vertex. Errors. Still, I really admire the effort. Especially the hands.
    I have spent 10+ hours already on this map, half of it going to the vertex. The hands were the easiest part, believe it or not, but I still missed a few spots here and there.

I am thinking of making a thread where I will post different versions of the map. I am thinking of making a version where the map is all brand new and shit like when it was back in the 80s in Bulgaria, and another version where its all abandoned and shit like today. I am already thinking of making this a TTT map for garry's mod, or some sort of Gm map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events

17. Post #5857
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,150 Posts
    "The 8:45 to London Waterloo has been cancelled due to mercenary warfare on the line"
    The view out of the RED spawnroom of what will eventually become cp_clapham.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Mapping King Mapping King x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #5858
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    "The 8:45 to London Waterloo has been cancelled due to mercenary warfare on the line"
    The view out of the RED spawnroom of what will eventually become cp_clapham.

Doesn't look very TF2-ish to me. But if that's what you're going for, by all means do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #5859
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    Doesn't look very TF2-ish to me. But if that's what you're going for, by all means do it.
    Neither does the Hong Kong map. TF2 has gone past the "sparsely detailed" stage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

20. Post #5860
    December 2008
    726 Posts
    I accidentally this:

There's no 3D preview. What to do?

(User was banned for this post ("Meme Response" - Terrenteller))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

21. Post #5861
    I hate my title.
    March 2009
    107 Posts
    I'm streaming my crappy skills! http://www.twitch.tv/OnAFreak

I'ts a surfmap for CSGO, so don't expect anything beautiful.

Map status: 50%-60%

: Now offline.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

22. Post #5862
    April 2012
    246 Posts
    I think the model browser on the CS:GO SDK is drunk, its writes sometimes from right to left, if i want to type light it writes thgil.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

23. Post #5863
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,473 Posts

WIP Xen skybox for HL2DM.

It's 3D. The misty nebulas move and have depth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #5864
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,106 Posts
    I'm trying to make a "spooky" map at the moment and I want the player to start with no HEV suit or weapons in GMOD. The way you set what weapons you start with don't work in GMOD (that's why you always have all your weapons in Half Life 2 maps) but it's clearly possible because stuff like gm_apartment does it. Do I require a lua script or is there a way to do it in Hammer?
    I think the model browser on the CS:GO SDK is drunk, its writes sometimes from right to left, if i want to type light it writes thgil.

That's a problem with the model browser. It's being do it for years (for me, anyway). The best trick is just to close it, save and restart Hammer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

25. Post #5865
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,473 Posts
    I'm trying to make a "spooky" map at the moment and I want the player to start with no HEV suit or weapons in GMOD. The way you set what weapons you start with don't work in GMOD (that's why you always have all your weapons in Half Life 2 maps) but it's clearly possible because stuff like gm_apartment does it. Do I require a lua script or is there a way to do it in Hammer?

That's a problem with the model browser. It's being do it for years (for me, anyway). The best trick is just to close it, save and restart Hammer
    Not sure if something along these lines would work for the suit, but perhaps a weaponstrip entity to take care of the weaponry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #5866
    February 2010
    12,394 Posts
    About 6? hours of work for this one

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 13Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #5867
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,888 Posts
    Still heavy wip

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

28. Post #5868
    March 2010
    1,043 Posts

Wow, you just keep on making UCH maps. Although, does GMC no longer want any more Mother3/Earthbound maps? The only new one added was Saturn Valley, and then your maps. Still looks great though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

29. Post #5869
    February 2010
    12,394 Posts
    Wow, you just keep on making UCH maps. Although, does GMC no longer want any more Mother3/Earthbound maps? The only new one added was Saturn Valley, and then your maps. Still looks great though.
    na, we just hired a guy whose good with earthbound stuff recently
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #5870
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,204 Posts

Go to hell it takes me six hours just to block out one building :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #5871
    December 2009
    2,529 Posts
    Still heavy wip

Why did you compile this version? Ive added more surroundings and changed some smaller things.

Edited:

Also, which lighting is the best? Rate
    Agree for Brown,
    Zing Blue,
    Informative for Morning.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 29Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

32. Post #5872
    June 2012
    62 Posts
    Made a pillar to go with my arches

Having some issues with the shadows and textureing it however.

Any help with these shadows?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

33. Post #5873
    February 2011
    920 Posts
    Brown, but it needs to be a little lot less saturated.
    Why did you take my roof access away? Where am I gonna camp now? :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #5874
    July 2011
    25 Posts
    Posting for a friend:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

35. Post #5875
    March 2010
    1,043 Posts
    Posting for a friend:
    Ah, Aberration. I'm excited for the new Chapters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

36. Post #5876
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,490 Posts
    Posting for a friend:
    Holiestcow should change the texture on the rubble to something higher quality. Right now, it looks like a blurred lump of pixels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

37. Post #5877
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,443 Posts
    BM:S comes out tomorrow. I'm totally pumped for it :D

To be mapping related, does anyone have this old map?
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1120874
    I made it a while back, then mediafire removed my one and only link :P and I have no backups. I want to redo it and redo it right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #5878
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,490 Posts
    BM:S comes out tomorrow. I'm totally pumped for it :D

To be mapping related, does anyone have this old map?
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1120874
    I made it a while back, then mediafire removed my one and only link :P and I have no backups. I want to redo it and redo it right.
    no I dont have that old map

39. Post #5879
    March 2012
    550 Posts

I thought I was looking at pl_upward for a second.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #5880
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,559 Posts
    Made a pillar to go with my arches

Having some issues with the shadows and textureing it however.

Any help with these shadows?
    Is it a model or brush work or displacement?