1. Post #4201
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,502 Posts
    I'd imagine you would export as a heightmap then use a program like terrain generator to take that heightmap and convert it to vmf.
    I used dispgen to make my heightmaps. it works quite nicely.

Oh hey, pageking better post something interesting

Raaarrrr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #4202
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,025 Posts

A Command centre or control centre, just made it for fun. It's inspired by the original Avp and the table used in aliens to map the atmosphere processor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

3. Post #4203
    October 2011
    245 Posts
    The ceiling looks like shit, make it higher and add metal bars, cables, or small vents and stuff.
    And align the vent texture on the left, or move the powerbox thingy away from that wall.

Besides that, I really like the feeling of it ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

4. Post #4204
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    Does anyone else find it a huge pain in the ass to construct suburban houses in Hammer? It it so for me because I can never get the proportions to look right and the references I use aren't enough for me.
    Agreed with Pyth, try and recreate things that you know well, such as you or a friends place. Tends to work for me. Don't freak out and take a bunch of pictures and make it perfect, just do it the best you can and leave room for creativity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #4205
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,843 Posts
    Agreed with Pyth, try and recreate things that you know well, such as you or a friends place. Tends to work for me. Don't freak out and take a bunch of pictures and make it perfect, just do it the best you can and leave room for creativity.
    That post was from 5 months ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #4206
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    I like it either way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #4207
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    I don't think it matters too much, if the thread is still alive then it is still a relevant point to be made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #4208
    December 2009
    2,574 Posts
    Im having a bit of trouble with my map, and I can quite figure out whats wrong. Basically, when I compile my map with VRAD my map will crash when loaded ingame, but if I run it without VRAD it runs fine.

Here is the compile log, didnt compile with VVIS (Doesnt make a difference for map crashing or not)

http://pastebin.com/bC17UHbb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

9. Post #4209
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,663 Posts
    Mind explaining how you exported from World Machine to Source? I am genuinely interested in maybe having something like this in Source.
    I just exported the height map and used that to make the mesh in 3ds Max.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

10. Post #4210
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    594 Posts
    Im having a bit of trouble with my map, and I can quite figure out whats wrong. Basically, when I compile my map with VRAD my map will crash when loaded ingame, but if I run it without VRAD it runs fine.

Here is the compile log, didnt compile with VVIS (Doesnt make a difference for map crashing or not)

http://pastebin.com/bC17UHbb
    My only guess is this: 1 degenerate faces.

Interlopers says it can typically be ignored but maybe you're the one unlucky dude who gets his map fried because of it.

EDIT:

InterlopersErrorSHITFIXER posted:
    Description:
    A degenerate face is a face with no area. For instance, when two of its points are at the same place or three vertices on one line. Rarely, this error can cause all the lighting in your level to become black. If this happens, you will have to track down the degenerate face(s). This is however rare, so only go after the face if your level turns completely dark or you experience other strange errors.

Solution:
    Don't try to fix this error if you don't experience strange problems, it will take you ages to find them in your level (trial and error, most likely). You will want to examply vertex-manipulated brushes first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #4211
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,569 Posts
    So I've been without internet for the past 5 days because of some bills issue, but I have been somewhat busy with some skyboxes since my computer is just sitting here.

Sky_cloudy004

Skybox - 3.51 mb

sky_sunset001

Skybox - 2.49mb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Mapping King Mapping King x 2Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #4212
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    So I've been without internet for the past 5 days because of some bills issue, but I have been somewhat busy with some skyboxes since my computer is just sitting here.

Sky_cloudy004

Skybox - 3.51 mb

sky_sunset001

Skybox - 2.49mb
    You made these? Damn... Very nice. You should consider making a night sky box for a moody dark map. I would use it ^__^ (With your permission of course)

13. Post #4213
    June 2010
    2,843 Posts
    Holy crap, that's beautiful. What are the exact light properties for that?

14. Post #4214
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,569 Posts
    Look in the text file.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #4215
    July 2011
    810 Posts
    "snip" figured it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #4216
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,218 Posts
    Look in the text file.
    404'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #4217
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,569 Posts
    Fixed it.

Edited:

Fixed it again...

18. Post #4218
    this link changes
    April 2012
    8,566 Posts
    made it after watching about 100 tutorials of a guy called rocketpascal.
    I looked for rocketpascal but didn't find anything except Rocket Pasta. Seeing what you did is pretty impressive, even inspiring. Can you get me a link to his videos please?

19. Post #4219
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    I looked for rocketpascal but didn't find anything except Rocket Pasta. Seeing what you did is pretty impressive, even inspiring. Can you get me a link to his videos please?
    Did you only search youtube? You can find good stuff on sites as well.

20. Post #4220
    this link changes
    April 2012
    8,566 Posts
    Nah, nothing on the entire internet.

21. Post #4221
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    Nah, nothing on the entire internet.
    I would just search for the topics then and see if he comes up... Or we could just wait for a reply haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #4222
    June 2010
    2,843 Posts

Sky_cloudy004

Skybox - 3.51 mb[/url]

sky_sunset001

Skybox - 2.49mb
    [/url]
    I'm getting a Dropbox 404 on both of those.

EDIT:
    Hold on, the cloudy one just fixed itself. Only the Sunset is broken.

23. Post #4223
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,218 Posts
    Fixed it.
    The sunset one is still broken.

24. Post #4224
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Just look at the actual url and you'll see it ends with .rar' , just remove the extra '.

Pro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

25. Post #4225
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts
    Its only missing the .rar at the end of the link as pyth stated.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55412016/te..._sunset001.rar
    Working link above.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #4226

May 2012
    111 Posts

Excuse me, his actual name was "rocketrascal34".
    Tutorial series:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...4&feature=plcp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #4227
    June 2010
    2,843 Posts

Excuse the in-editor screenie, I don't think it would be worth it to just slap on a skybox and compile for the sake of bumpmaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #4228
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,404 Posts
    Testing out procedural heightmaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

29. Post #4229
    June 2010
    2,843 Posts
    Testing out procedural heightmaps.
    Sounds fancy. Is there some kind of tutorial or program download?

30. Post #4230
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,404 Posts
    Sounds fancy. Is there some kind of tutorial or program download?
    Yeah, it's called HME. It was a bit difficult to learn to use at first, but I can give a brief description of all I did to make it.

Link: http://hme.sourceforge.net/

Once you download it, open it up and it will look like the dopplar radars do under a thunderstorm, simply click save (the floppy disk icon), and under the file type (the dropdown where it says .hmp), choose .bmp instead.

Remember where you saved this, because for the next program you'll have to re-open it, you'll need dispgen located at:

http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannon...rogram=dispgen

Open dispgen, where it asks for a heightmap file, browse to the .bmp you just saved. Now open hammer and create two new .vmfs. One will be the one you place all the displacements in, and one will be what dispgen calls the target .vmf.

Make sure you can distinguish the two, and select the target .vmf where it says to. Don't mess with the other options (unless you know what you are doing) and click generate. It will say completed.

Now open that target .vmf, and voila, your displacement is ready. To make them look like hills I had to do quite a bit of smoothing via the paint geometry tool in hammer, but that's it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

31. Post #4231
    Into The Lasagnaverse
    October 2008
    1,589 Posts

So I spent a bit of time making a map to use in SFM when I get it.
    Anybody know where I could get a skybox suited towards stormy weather?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

32. Post #4232
    January 2011
    28 Posts
    test map for volumetric light

33. Post #4233
    November 2010
    2,871 Posts

Would be nice if you made the room a little bit wider, in my opinion. It doesn't look like there's enough space between the sofa, coffee table, and TV cabinet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #4234
    June 2010
    2,843 Posts

The "day 3" skies from Half Life 2 are overcast, but still pretty bright. cs_office works as well. Episode 2 comes to mind.

Looking through the Sky List, L4D2 has a whole bunch from the flooded town campaign. Those should be pretty easy to port over.

35. Post #4235
    October 2011
    245 Posts
    Try the TF2 skybox sky_alpinestorm_01, looks like a charm.
    Use gcfscape to extract and put them into your game/materials/skybox folder, you just need to edit the .vmt's to fit the new image path.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

36. Post #4236
    Into The Lasagnaverse
    October 2008
    1,589 Posts
    Would be nice if you made the room a little bit wider, in my opinion. It doesn't look like there's enough space between the sofa, coffee table, and TV cabinet.
    I expanded the the room a bit(http://filesmelt.com/dl/Wideload.png). Only issue now is that the walls feel kinda bare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #4237
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,055 Posts
    I expanded the the room a bit(http://filesmelt.com/dl/Wideload.png). Only issue now is that the walls feel kinda bare.
    Put a rug underneath the coffee table and maybe some paintings/pictures on the walls, as well as a potted plant or two in the corners or on top of the TV cabinet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #4238
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts

(please ignore the lack of doors, they don't show up in SFM)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #4239
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,974 Posts

(please ignore the lack of doors, they don't show up in SFM)
    Looks nice, but the textures on the posts on the porch look a bit too similar to the house (if not the same)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #4240
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    Looks nice, but the textures on the posts on the porch look a bit too similar to the house (if not the same)
    ohhh right i should rotate those by 90 degrees

scratch that i'll give em a new texture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events