1. Post #441
    NO MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING
    March 2009
    3,256 Posts
    I hope I dont get in trouble by showing this, but here I go anyway. From an upcoming map by Migga.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    October 2007
    323 Posts
    I've always fancied making some automated brush tools, so today I set about rewriting the crap code I had 6 months ago that didn't get anywhere in several weeks work.

It's capable of reading in a vmf so it can manipulate it's brushes in some as yet uncoded way, and it can write out any six sided brush I choose to generate, so far just random shaped on a large flat base.

Now I just need to find a use for it..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #443
    November 2010
    2,918 Posts
    I've always fancied making some automated brush tools, so today I set about rewriting the crap code I had 6 months ago that didn't get anywhere in several weeks work.

It's capable of reading in a vmf so it can manipulate it's brushes in some as yet uncoded way, and it can write out any six sided brush I choose to generate, so far just random shaped on a large flat base.

Now I just need to find a use for it..
    If you work on it some more, you could make a proper city generator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

4. Post #444
    August 2008
    1,143 Posts
    Dear Esther made me realize my maps are bad and inspired me to put more effort into them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #445
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,965 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #446
    DFC
    September 2011
    278 Posts
    Change that floor texture bro!

Edited:

Also I think there are a bit too many supports on that ceiling
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #447
    [b]MASSIVE HOMOPHOBE[/b]

April 2010
    3,562 Posts
    Why is the floor one big grate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #448
    March 2009
    3,256 Posts
    Alright guys, Lets start a fund raiser for GameDev, so he can buy a new Mic. I mean seriously it can be a $5 one. He has no money he spent all of what he had to get a cure for his AIDS, so Please, Lets get this kid a microphone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #449
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Alright guys, Lets start a fund raiser for GameDev, so he can buy a new Mic. I mean seriously it can be a $5 one. He has no money he spent all of what he had to get a cure for his AIDS, so Please, Lets get this kid a microphone.
    Let my prepubescent voice be heard ALL THROUGH THE NATION!

[sub][sub]also this wasn't my idea and i never asked for this[/sub][/sub]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #450
    March 2009
    3,256 Posts
    Let my prepubescent voice be heard ALL THROUGH THE NATION!

[sub][sub]also this wasn't my idea and i never asked for this[/sub][/sub]

Your right, you didnt, but you know what? Like Adam Jensen, he secretly Wanted it.

Also for lack of map related stuff. Im trying to make a back alleyway of a city. I got the brush work and textures and lighting, and some basic rain. But before I move on to props/decals I really want a nice sound atmosphere. I cant find any good wind/rain sound clips. Anyone know a place where I could get some?

11. Post #451
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts

Your right, you didnt, but you know what? Like Adam Jensen, he secretly Wanted it.
    I never asked to be Adam Jensen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #452
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts

started a goldsource black mesa map.
    only brushwork here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 18 (list)

13. Post #453
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts

only brushwork here.
    That's a pretty good brushwork scientist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 42Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #454
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    That's a pretty good brushwork scientist.
    Oh god, there's always somebody that manages to mess around with my sentences.
    I swear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

15. Post #455

only brushwork here.
    Are you entering the contest too? You are now my sworn enemy.

16. Post #456
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    Are you entering the contest too? You are now my sworn enemy.
    No worries at the rate I'm going I'll have a mod finished by the end of March.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #457
    No worries at the rate I'm going I'll have a mod finished by the end of March.
    Now you are my arch nemesis.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #458
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    Now you are my arch nemesis.
    (hug)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

19. Post #459
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 7Winner x 3Informative x 2Optimistic x 1Mapping King x 1 (list)

20. Post #460
    July 2011
    810 Posts
    What contest?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #461
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    PlanetPhillip HL1 contest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

22. Post #462
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,965 Posts

:D

I need to tone the env_fire down a bit. It's going through the roof. :(

New little building!

Less truss mess!

Less grate, more tile!

YEAH! :D

By the way, loving the constructive criticism you guys are giving. I don't feel up to par with a bunch of the awesome mappers here and it's nice to not get blown to smithereens for getting the hang of stuff. :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #463
    looks like he didn't include the .vbsp(s) he used

24. Post #464
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    looks like he didn't include the .vbsp(s) he used
    There isn't any .vbsp(s) He placed them manually. If you read the dev blog, the programmer changed some of the code to allow for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #465
    There isn't any .vbsp(s) He placed them manually. If you read the dev blog, the programmer changed some of the code to allow for it.
    I could understand placing the prop_static foliage by hand, but the detail sprites?!
    I've read about their programmer coding the sway to be handled by the GPU instead of CPU, but I couldn't find the article you are talking about (do you mind posting a link?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #466
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,686 Posts
    AFAIK it's handled by vertex shaders and various CPU SSE functions

27. Post #467
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts

cba editing hammer out enjoy the brushwork clusterfuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #468
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,712 Posts

That looks pretty rad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #469
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    AFAIK it's handled by vertex shaders and various CPU SSE functions
    It's just sinewave shit in a vertex shader, I don't know where the idea of using SSE optimisations came from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #470
    It's just sinewave shit in a vertex shader, I don't know where the idea of using SSE optimisations came from.
    from here: http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devb...-brief-update/ (check the quote box)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #471
    Soon, Anthracite, soon...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #472
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    That's nothing to with animation though.

It's funny because he says SSE instruction set, and really he means "hurr durr vertex shader math."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #473
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,697 Posts
    I hope I dont get in trouble by showing this, but here I go anyway. From an upcoming map by Migga.

i sue u!!!

Also I just released the map. http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1164758

Download heeereeee http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1164758

Sorry but the images don't seem to be working right now. They are working in the thread so go there ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 11Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #474
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    9,669 Posts
    [t] [ /t]
    is your friend
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,489 Posts

The only thing that's bothering me is the fact that female security guard lacks sleeves.

Other than that, good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #476
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    The only thing that's bothering me is the fact that female security guard lacks sleeves.

Other than that, good work.
    Well I don't have the time to make my own npc models, plus Romka's models fit within the Half-Life HD Pack models so I'll work with that.

37. Post #477
    December 2009
    2,629 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #478
    March 2009
    3,256 Posts
    So everyone should play Migga's map it is really god and inspiring. I was not told/paid to say this just as a FYI. I just really like his maps.

Also, Anthracite that map your making looks really good for gold source.

39. Post #479
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    So everyone should play Migga's map it is really god and inspiring. I was not told/paid to say this just as a FYI. I just really like his maps.
    The cool thing with Migga's maps is that while you'll find a theme that matches his other maps, there's always something unique in each of his maps and I really like that. Feels like they continue each other.

40. Post #480
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    More 50's diner - still haven't worked out how to do the windows without them looking shit yet, or found appropriate light sources, or added a counter, but whatever.

Edit: am I right in thinking you can only have 6 light sources per brush face or something? Should I break the floor up?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 5 (list)