1. Post #5401
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,611 Posts
    I'm remaking an aim_ map for someone.
    I'm not allowed to add a whole lot of detail and fancy lighting. (the guy doesn't know what "dynamic" means wth?)
    All I have to do is pretty much decompile it, change textures and recompile it.

Oh, and I'm getting paid to do it.

I feel like such a jerk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #5402
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    What is everyone here using to pack? PackBSP isn't working for me anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #5403
    May 2011
    3,611 Posts
    What is everyone here using to pack? PackBSP isn't working for me anymore.
    I still use pakrat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #5404
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    I still use pakrat.
    But don't you have to like manually put everything in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5405
    May 2011
    3,611 Posts
    But don't you have to like manually put everything in.
    Yeah, so? It works that's all I care about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #5406
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    Yeah, so? It works that's all I care about.
    How am I supposed to do that with a huge map with tons of content in it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

7. Post #5407
    May 2011
    3,611 Posts
    How am I supposed to do that with a huge map with tons of content in it?
    What I did is have a "required" folder which contains all of the custom content I used. Works wonders.

8. Post #5408
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    What I did is have a "required" folder which contains all of the custom content I used. Works wonders.
    I don't think I can take the time to sort all of the textures I use into a folder.

9. Post #5409
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,712 Posts
    How about just create new mod? I always do it, I make new mod just simply call it Source Mapping, then I would store all my custom content in it, unless it's not orange box.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #5410
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    The first of many pictures to come today:

Ignore the FPS, I'm running on a laptop right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 15Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

11. Post #5411
    Sir Michael Cole
    September 2008
    3,020 Posts
    I finally found inspiration to make an Arsenal map for CS:GO. I'm going to add more detail later, just wanted to get the basic design down.

I accidently made the walls WAY too short.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

12. Post #5412
    December 2009
    2,631 Posts
    You dont have to manually pack everything into the .bsp with Pakrat. There is an option to automatically scan the map and check what custom content is in it, then you just add and save to .bsp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #5413
    May 2011
    3,611 Posts
    I keep getting this weird thing on the glass when I break it.
    Nothing unusual, just a func_breakable_surf (default settings)

Yes, I built cubmaps.

14. Post #5414
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    I keep getting this weird thing on the glass when I break it.
    Nothing unusual, just a func_breakable_surf (default settings)

Yes, I built cubmaps.

Have you perhaps copied content over from another Source game or mod such as Portal 2?

15. Post #5415
    May 2011
    3,611 Posts
    Have you perhaps copied content over from another Source game or mod such as Portal 2?
    some L4D stuff but the window isn't part of it. I tried it with cs_offfice's windows textures and got same thing.

16. Post #5416
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    It could be that there is some texture used for the actual breakage in the glass when you destroy it that could have been overwritten.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #5417
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    the cs_office window has two textures iirc, make sure they're both there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #5418
    September 2009
    952 Posts
    -snip-

Problem was resolved
    Sorry for shitting up the thread D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #5419
    July 2010
    117 Posts
    Practicing making custom assets:

Too many chairs?

This is for the facepunch hallway thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 16Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

20. Post #5420
    September 2009
    952 Posts

Too many chairs?

Looks pretty damn good to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

21. Post #5421
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,870 Posts

Too many chairs?

There's definitely a strange amount of chairs. I'd delete the two chairs closest to the elevator, or maybe remove the one in the far corner. Potted plants and paintings wouldn't do bad either. I really see the Mirror's Edge influence, it's really nice. Do you ever plan to release your chair and table models?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #5422
    July 2010
    117 Posts
    Yeah, I'll probably release all the stuff once I'm done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

23. Post #5423
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Yeah I made an oopsie.

You know that New Objects Toolbar right under the filter control and texture selection?

Yeah I accidentally closed that and I have the faintest idea on how I can get that thing back.

How exactly do I get that little window back? It was pretty damn useful and I feel less inclined to complete my little project without it.
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...ammer_toolbars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #5424
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    Looks like a reasonable number of chairs to me. Elevator doors and ceiling strip lights look a bit chunky, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #5425
    May 2011
    3,611 Posts
    I found the issue, some left 4 dead 2 windows got in there and they don't work.

EDIT:
    I think...

26. Post #5426
    Sir Michael Cole
    September 2008
    3,020 Posts
    Tried to add a little bit more detail.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Mapping King Mapping King x 4 (list)

27. Post #5427
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,383 Posts

Too many chairs?

Do in-ceiling lights like this:

Might look better.

Also could people please be nice and sign this [basically useless] petition?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #5428
    January 2010
    6,003 Posts
    Remaking Seatown from MW3 even though I have literally never played on the map. Textures are obviously placeholders.

Comparison

Edited:

Damn Steam takes crappy screenshots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

29. Post #5429
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    14,902 Posts

Custom posters, woo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #5430
    September 2009
    952 Posts
    Alright Facepunch.

Lets see what it takes to make some pretty damn decent lighting.

I'll be walking you through basic to advanced lighting as I do it.

Keep track of this post, I'm still writing it.
    Keep in mind that as I update this, it's new to me, so there will be mistakes and I'll be commentating my every action.
    Think of it more as a 'let's play' in text form than a tutorial.

You've seen my work, the shanty town, few odd videos here and there, run down insane asylum and more recently the archway cellar thing a few pages back.

The Shanty Town.

The Insane Asylum.

Insane Asylum Menu Background

I'm starting a rather new project and I'm currently in stage one of lighting it up.

I want to walk you guys through my lighting routine, showing everyone how I achieve my effects.

I do hope you learn something from this, post results of your work with my guidelines.

(there's a flickering light behind the broken wall there)

I consider this to be one of the more basic lighting schemes out there. Only one low powered radial light with two spotlights setting the atmosphere. Every lightmap is defaulted at 16, there are only 4 lights in use, and there is little to no detail within the atmosphere. (ie; dustmotes, sound effects, glow effects, etc)

I'll walk you through how I've achieved the ambient effect with the spotlights.

every light has been tweaked to give it a certain look.

The spotlights have been set to cast like a radial light, covering a very large area with a very soft light while still maintaining it's directionality.

What this effect gives us is a very soft and wide lighting effect.

I copied the light and changed it's colour to a pinkish to mimic a very light warm red, I then put this light behind the camera to let the viewer imagine what's making it.

I consider this visual aided imagination, it's mostly used to create a soft background light that doesn't take away from the main focus.

The red and blue lights combined are considered to be complimentary colours, and so create a soothing pallet for the eyes.

Doesn't look so bad now, does it?

This creates a very nice backdrop but there's nothing to focus on, therefore the lighting is boring.

Adding a dim radial light near the center of the image where the focus is changes the feel of the room and gives the viewer something to look at.

Normally the area that's of focus is much more detailed than the rest of the map.

This is what the radial light looks like without the ambient lighting backing it up when rendered.

Now that's very lack luster and the light itself is boring. It's too dark and the radial light alone won't be anywhere near good enough for this project. What we need is ambience! Something to direct the player's focus.

Combining the two spotlights with the radial will make give the area an illusion of darkness while directing focus. The reason why I always change lights of focus to an orange or red is to give the light the feeling of warmth and comfort. Ambient lights are usually cool blue or purple; for more subtle feelings like uneasiness, fear or unsettling. Orange, Red, and Cyan fall go very very well together, and the light combination will give the entire scene a very sharp point of focus.

In it's rough draft, the current project stands as is:

What we need to do now is sharpen that middle light so it's at the right brightness and colour.

What I've done is widen the outer radius and narrowed the inner radius,

Then I boosted the brightness by a small amount and tweaked the light so it would appear a more yellowish than an orange-ish, and changed it's appearance so it would flicker ever slightly.

I know it looks like I barely changed anything at all.
    Despite the small numbers, it'll be more than worth your time to tweak the lights every so slightly.

What this will do will sharpen that center focus. It will brighten the immediate area and cast long dark shadows.

No, that doesn't look as good as it should, but this is about experimenting! What looks good and what doesn't look as good.
    That light should be a more rich orange than yellow.

I won't be giving exact property values of my lights, as for most everything I do, it's oddballing and I highly encourage you do the same to make things feel more 'natural'.

Keep track of this post, I'm still writing it.
    Keep in mind that as I update this, it's new to me, so there will be mistakes and I'll be commentating my every action.

Moved it to a new thread.
    This will be updated every 15 or so minutes.

It will be extremely detailed and you'll learn lots from it.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread....8#post37384058
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Mapping King x 6Useful x 2Funny x 2Dumb x 2Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #5431
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    Massive Image Dump in 3...2...1...

Excuse the piss-poor graphics settings. What do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 6Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

32. Post #5432
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts

-imgsnip-

The outside area looks wonderful, but I think the lighting could do with a little bit of work, it's not very contrasty.

33. Post #5433

January 2012
    57 Posts
    I can't get it to look right :(

improve the texture scale

Edit: ahh late
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Late Late x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #5434
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    594 Posts

bye

Outside is brilliantly done, but some of the interior shots (the last one for sure) just feel empty even though it's clear you've attempted to fill them up.

I think the problem is some of the rooms are a little big? I don't really know.

35. Post #5435
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    Outside is brilliantly done, but some of the interior shots (the last one for sure) just feel empty even though it's clear you've attempted to fill them up.

I think the problem is some of the rooms are a little big? I don't really know.
    Well most of them have ammo/weapons for TTT to fill them up so they should look less "empty". Any suggestions for what else to put in there though?

36. Post #5436
    May 2011
    3,611 Posts
    I'd say add some trees, maybe add a hole in the concrete. Use decals to help make it less bland.

37. Post #5437
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    I'd say add some trees, maybe add a hole in the concrete. Use decals to help make it less bland.
    When I first read that I thought you meant add trees to the concrete room I'll do some work with extra detailing.

38. Post #5438
    I'm the only black guy on The Internet huh?
    March 2012
    864 Posts
    A small update on my map (cs_hotel)
    If you have any suggestions please let me know, Also I'm working on the front door and the lobby now.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

39. Post #5439
    Sir Michael Cole
    September 2008
    3,020 Posts
    A little bit more progress.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

40. Post #5440
    I'm the only black guy on The Internet huh?
    March 2012
    864 Posts
    A little bit more progress.

My only quarrel is that in my eyes the skybox does not match the lighting. But amazing work so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)