1. Post #2801
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    That sucks.
    Also is it me or there's some sort of block lighting pattern ?

That's just the way the clouds work, they're based on world position and don't use any sort of texture, but it looks fine when they're animating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #2802
    Problems are hidden solutions (c)
    November 2011
    1,816 Posts
    It's included with the latest Source Shader Editor, Biohazard made it out of boredom and because the default Source Engine grass is shitty.

Here's a picture of it under extreme conditions, 1 million triangles rendered from the grass alone:

Obviously the performance isn't as good as when you render 100k triangles which even then, looks better than Crysis 1 grass.

Ignore the shitty blur, I had FXAA enabled...
    Wow man that grass is incredible, how did you manage to do it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

3. Post #2803
    December 2007
    236 Posts
    So, now the ingame map creator is out, I thought I'd have a go at making another Portal 2 map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 20Winner Winner x 3 (list)

4. Post #2804
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Wow man that grass is incredible, how did you manage to do it?
    Read post, realise I said where you can find it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #2805
    August 2010
    763 Posts
    The portal 2 map editor is really limited, I hope they add more options to it in the future. Also did anyone else get a source SDK update?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

6. Post #2806
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,740 Posts
    Yeah, my Source SDK just updated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #2807
    November 2011
    1,816 Posts
    The portal 2 map editor is really limited, I hope they add more options to it in the future. Also did anyone else get a source SDK update?
    Thats why you should try to edit your map in Hammer after.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #2808
    October 2010
    746 Posts
    Yeah, my Source SDK just updated.
    Mine too, does anyone know what got changed/improved?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Slovenia Show Events

9. Post #2809
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,434 Posts
    Mine too, does anyone know what got changed/improved?
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1182770
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

10. Post #2810
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Nothing useful then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #2811
    Nothing useful then.
    Lies,
    maybe not for you at least. but for maya users it's pretty great. (now if they could update their scripts for maya 2013 it would be nice)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #2812
    March 2011
    166 Posts

Layout for the map is pretty much finished. Just have to do stuff like boarders, 3D skybox, lighting,and cubemap fixes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

13. Post #2813
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,772 Posts

Layout for the map is pretty much finished. Just have to do stuff like boarders, 3D skybox, lighting,and cubemap fixes.
    nice stuff, you captured the stalkerish style well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

14. Post #2814
    November 2011
    797 Posts
    Very nice, I only suggest that the CSS train car be changed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #2815
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,494 Posts

God, dang it. Valve. You screwed up my displacements. and even after the update too... Oh wait, what nothing did the update do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #2816
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,973 Posts
    Started working on my old dev contest entry I never submitted, should I texture it or keep working on it as is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

17. Post #2817
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,833 Posts
    Started working on my old dev contest entry I never submitted, should I texture it or keep working on it as is?
    I state that you shall texture it with whatever textures you have available and see if it looks good. If not, keep working on it as is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #2818
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    215 Posts
    Some random mapping.

You might already figure out what the exterior is based on.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #2819

September 2011
    39 Posts
    It appears to be based on dark. I suggest making it a bit brighter to work on all monitor types.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #2820
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    It seems very dark outside for how bright the sky is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #2821
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,861 Posts
    Some random mapping.

THE WALKING DEAD!

Woo!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #2822
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,621 Posts
    Some random mapping.

Is that in No More Room in Hell?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #2823
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    215 Posts
    Exterior is heavy WIP just some random prop placement.

Lighting any better?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #2824
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts
    Exterior is heavy WIP just some random prop placement.

Lighting any better?

Windows need to be taller in my opinion and the lighting seems a little too dull for the skybox you're using.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #2825
    May 2011
    3,494 Posts
    A little fun building in CSGO to fool with the dynamic lighting.

Fully destroyable too!

Any ideas on how to optimize? It's laggy... mostly because of particles...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

26. Post #2826
    November 2011
    1,816 Posts
    d
    A little fun building in CSGO to fool with the dynamic lighting.

Fully destroyable too!

Any ideas on how to optimize? It's laggy... mostly because of particles...

I doubt you could optimize your destroyable building, since its made of brushes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

27. Post #2827
    March 2011
    4,740 Posts
    Why the heck are my two shelves casting the shadow through the wall... :smith:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

28. Post #2828
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    215 Posts
    Why the heck are my two shelves casting the shadow through the wall... :smith:

Put a block light texture inside the wall or disable shadows of the shelves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #2829
    May 2011
    3,494 Posts
    d

I doubt you could optimize your destroyable building, since its made of brushes
    I meant physics-wise. Cause I have seen much more complex structures work quite well in gmod
    This thing is made up of fewer than 30 brushes... Yet it lags, because of the particles. Any way to disable particles?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

30. Post #2830
    November 2011
    1,816 Posts
    Put a block light texture inside the wall or disable shadows of the shelves.
    Block light texture blocks the light only and not shadows. Try to optimize your map in order to fix that.

Edited:

I meant physics-wise. Cause I have seen much more complex structures work quite well in gmod
    This thing is made up of fewer than 30 brushes... Yet it lags, because of the particles. Any way to disable particles?
    Try to propper those brushes into prop_physiques or else make a dynamic model of your destructable objects as Valve did in EP2. Its very unlikely you can disable those particles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #2831
    March 2011
    4,740 Posts
    How can optimizing the map fix that? Other than disabling shadows on the shelves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

32. Post #2832
    November 2011
    1,816 Posts
    How can optimizing the map fix that? Other than disabling shadows on the shelves.
    When the prop isnt drawn its shadow dissapears.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #2833
    May 2011
    3,494 Posts
    Edited:

Try to propper those brushes into prop_physiques or else make a dynamic model of your destructable objects as Valve did in EP2. Its very unlikely you can disable those particles.
    How can I make it so the prop breaks into pieces when I damage it enough?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #2834
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    When the prop isnt drawn its shadow dissapears.
    There is actually a tool brush for removing the RTT shadows on any surface within the brush volume.

Point entity actually, with surface flags for where you don't want rtt shadows.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...dynamic_shadow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #2835
    November 2011
    1,816 Posts
    How can I make it so the prop breaks into pieces when I damage it enough?
    Not sure, but you might be able to browse for gibs models when propping a brush
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

36. Post #2836
    A couple of things I believe they should add. Ability to make co-op maps. More lighting options, such as the wall lights, there are actually 3 of those in Portal 2, warm, white, and cool. Ability to export to hammer so that it's not all instances. Maybe an auto detail thing that will destroy bits before it compiles. And lastly, triggers. In most Portal 2 maps when you fling yourself to an entrance the wall panels will fold out and that can only be done with triggers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #2837
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    A couple of things I believe they should add. Ability to make co-op maps. More lighting options, such as the wall lights, there are actually 3 of those in Portal 2, warm, white, and cool. Ability to export to hammer so that it's not all instances. Maybe an auto detail thing that will destroy bits before it compiles. And lastly, triggers. In most Portal 2 maps when you fling yourself to an entrance the wall panels will fold out and that can only be done with triggers.
    The ingame editor isn't meant to be a replacement for hammer, but an easy tool people can use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #2838
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    The ingame editor isn't meant to be a replacement for hammer, but an easy tool people can use.
    I think the idea of an "Export to Hammer" feature still applies then. That way we can prototype maps in the in-game editor and fine-tune them in Hammer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

39. Post #2839
    March 2011
    4,740 Posts
    Small update on the progress.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Serbia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

40. Post #2840
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,833 Posts
    Small update on the progress.

What's with the random pile of posters on the road?