1. Post #3481
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Turn off film grain.

Turn those flourescent lights in the first and second pictures into normal lights (maybe even inset lighting)

The area around the lightbulb to the far left in the fourth picture seems too dark even though the light is illuminated. Add a normal light (or increase the falloff) so that the ceiling is lit as well.
    I'll add those normal lights. Why should I remove the fluorescent lights, however? It's based off my actual house and they have them. They're not too uncommon of a sight. I also think they add a nice change of lighting. Thanks for the criticism, though!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #3482
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,811 Posts
    I'll add those normal lights. Why should I remove the fluorescent lights, however? It's based off my actual house and they have them. They're not too uncommon of a sight. I also think they add a nice change of lighting. Thanks for the criticism, though!
    I haven't seen fluorescent lights anywhere but in a garage. Then again, I don't have a wide range of house references. If it's modelled off of your OWN house, I'm not in a position to call it unrealistic.

3. Post #3483
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    I haven't seen fluorescent lights anywhere but in a garage. Then again, I don't have a wide range of house references. If it's modelled off of your OWN house, I'm not in a position to call it unrealistic.
    I don't know, perhaps I'll change it. I do appreciate the suggestions, of course.

4. Post #3484
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,447 Posts
    Made buildings more curvy, made a path rather than just a terrain, added an aurora

Future plans.
    -Extreme normal maps on mountains to give them more depth
    -Fix aurora
    -add a building on top of mountain.
    -add a Core (keeps the island afloat)
    -metro station
    -more random buildings.
    -ETC.

REMEBERED AA THIS TIME!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

5. Post #3485
    August 2008
    1,143 Posts
    There,current state of my intro map for my p2 mod:
    i think i popped a boner in the beginning part
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #3486
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,559 Posts
    Doesn't look that great, you need more contrast in your colors, right now the outside is all one color, and it looks bland, You could change the sunlight angles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #3487
    March 2012
    103 Posts

Testing two coulours...
    Green
    Orange (or Chocolate in game)
    Nothing

Edit: 3 Orange, thanks you. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Disagree x 11Agree x 3Optimistic x 2Dumb x 2Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #3488
    speshul
    August 2006
    635 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #3489
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,697 Posts
    feels weird to post screenshots of new areas in this map because the visual style is so consistent but whatever

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

10. Post #3490
    Problems are hidden solutions (c)
    November 2011
    1,815 Posts
    Keep your amount of props and decals on a resonable level, keep it tasteful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #3491
    June 2010
    2,811 Posts
    Keep your amount of props and decals on a resonable level, keep it tasteful.
    Yeah, it seems like there's an odd amount of trash on the floor. I'd scale down the debris.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #3492
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,952 Posts
    feels weird to post screenshots of new areas in this map because the visual style is so consistent but whatever

The floor transition from tiles to waht looks like collapsed rubble confuses me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #3493
    November 2011
    1,815 Posts
    Before was better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3494
    March 2008
    1,600 Posts
    Extreme non subtle references!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #3495
    December 2007
    1,798 Posts

Bloom is that strong on purpose. Ignore the repeating wallpaper near the lightswitch, it's fixed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 12Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #3496
    November 2011
    1,815 Posts

Bloom is that strong on purpose.
    Very nice composition. Try to add some fruits & wine on that table, also some of those textures look low res.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #3497
    May 2011
    3,447 Posts
    Doesn't look that great, you need more contrast in your colors, right now the outside is all one color, and it looks bland, You could change the sunlight angles.
    This is the default EP2 aurora. I tried to change it but it didn't work. It didn't show up in-game. Screw particles. :V

18. Post #3498
    December 2007
    1,798 Posts
    Try to add some fruits & wine on that table, also some of those textures look low res.
    It's a Sims 3 house I'm recreating (actually the most beautiful Sims 3 house I could find). Of course I can add stuff but for now I want to recreate the original.

I feel ashamed because even though porting all those models and textures requires a lot of patience (and therefore dedication), I didn't actually do much myself and do not deserve any Winner or Mapping King ratings.

Some textures are a bit low res, yes. But overall it's bearable. It's not The Witcher 2, it doesn't require any super sharp, high resolutioned textures. And as dumb as it sounds, sometimes I like less details more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #3499
    May 2011
    3,447 Posts
    Hmmm my other skybox hid how crappy the aurora is

and I somehow managed to get and engine hunk overflow with only one light

Crap

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3 (list)

20. Post #3500
    April 2011
    851 Posts
    you overdid it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

21. Post #3501
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Changed colour correction from warm red/orange to a cold and desolate grey, and fiddled with the fog.
    I am working on this one room slower than an Annelid with asthma, but I think it's getting there at last.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 5Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

22. Post #3502
    October 2010
    746 Posts
    Hmmm my other skybox hid how crappy the aurora is

and I somehow managed to get and engine hunk overflow with only one light

Crap

For the love of god, get some fog in there.
    Because now, it doesn't look very winter-y at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #3503
    May 2011
    3,447 Posts
    For the love of god, get some fog in there.
    Because now, it doesn't look very winter-y at all.
    Right now I'm just sorting through issues right now, like getting the stuff working before delving in too deep then failing utterly.

I still get the "engine hunk overflow" issue even though I didn't make drastic changes. and I deleted the changes and still get it... Screw source... makes no sense. compile log showed nothing.

24. Post #3504
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts

Lol, ignore that the bench is facing the pillar! I forgot to move it xD

Do you think I could have the water? It would be amazing in my map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #3505
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,442 Posts
    I've been working pretty hard on this small Half-Life 2:EP2 map I'm creating. I've given it a working title "Complex" seeing as it takes place mostly in an apartment complex. (Wink wink.) Anyway, here's some screens.

I'll be posting some more screens when I refine the rest of the map some more. Though I'm still not finished. Also I have yet to add any color correction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

26. Post #3506
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    I've been working pretty hard on this small Half-Life 2:EP2 map I'm creating. I've given it a working title "Complex" seeing as it takes place mostly in an apartment complex. (Wink wink.) Anyway, here's some screens.

I'll be posting some more screens when I refine the rest of the map some more. Though I'm still not finished.
    The wires are completely black, and I'm unsure what happened to create all of those blood patterns at once.

27. Post #3507
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,442 Posts
    I'm thinking it was a zombie attack, also thanks for the cc I've fixed the wires.

28. Post #3508
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    I'm thinking it was a zombie attack, also thanks for the cc I've fixed the wires.
    At any rate, the blood patterns tell what happened to the guy. Too many people just put blood all over, and too many people overlook it ingame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #3509
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,442 Posts
    At any rate, the blood patterns tell what happened to the guy. Too many people just put blood all over, and too many people overlook it ingame.
    You're right, I'm going to have less blood. I'll try to get it into a more realistic pattern also.

30. Post #3510
    December 2007
    1,798 Posts
    More Sims 3 Stuff:

Doesn't look so good this time. If only I could export the foliage from the game, but it's in a SpeedTree format and uses sprites for the leaves.

I also tried a night setting for the first time:

I'm not satisfied with this but I don't know what I should do to make it look better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 7Artistic Artistic x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

31. Post #3511
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,967 Posts
    Extreme non subtle references!
    Way too dark, I can't tell what is going on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #3512
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    Way too dark, I can't tell what is going on.
    I could easily tell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #3513
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Update. I added another house, will change a bit of stuff up, of course there'll be more houses in the future. As usual, be sure to leave criticism!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 12Artistic Artistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #3514
    June 2010
    2,811 Posts
    Update. I added another house, will change a bit of stuff up, of course there'll be more houses in the future. As usual, be sure to leave criticism!

-snip-
    I love your skybox, lighting and fog.

Is it going to be sandbox or a campaign map?

35. Post #3515

September 2010
    122 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

36. Post #3516
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,697 Posts
    WIP and all that

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #3517
    December 2007
    1,798 Posts
    @jeopardy2630: The ceramic roof needs some serious work. At least the face that's showing at the camera.

I think I overdid it with the pattern scheme:

The ceiling is still a placeholder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #3518
    Sir Michael Cole
    September 2008
    2,908 Posts
    That's beautiful. Did you make the models yourself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3519
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,394 Posts
    That's beautiful. Did you make the models yourself?
    Sims 2 props iirc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3520
    December 2007
    1,798 Posts
    I though someone called "simzboy" would recognize that the models and textures are from The Sims 3.
    Even the few lines of text in my other posts on this page could have told you that:
    It's a Sims 3 house I'm recreating (actually the most beautiful Sims 3 house I could find).
    More Sims 3 Stuff:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)