1. Post #3921
    March 2012
    98 Posts
    Ahh thank you! Didn't notice that until now. Anyone know how to fix this by any chance?
    Try make a info_lighting after the model, and set light_origin on model properties.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

2. Post #3922
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,054 Posts
    Made a new dock, brush-based. I think it still doesn't fit but I'll share it with you guys.

Don't mind the water, for some reason I thought fitting the water texture would look good.

Maybe I'll share a video of the map soon so you can see it in motion or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3923
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,823 Posts
    Made a new dock, brush-based. I think it still doesn't fit but I'll share it with you guys.

Don't mind the water, for some reason I thought fitting the water texture would look good.
    [pic]

Maybe I'll share a video of the map soon so you can see it in motion or whatever.
    I like this Idea, it's like a modern high-tech house in a forest... kinda like where I'd live.

Edited:

although the textures for the dock don't really fit. I agree
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

4. Post #3924
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,054 Posts
    Are the textures in the webpage http://www.cgtextures.com/ free to use as I wish?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3925
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    January 2006
    5,233 Posts
    Are the textures in the webpage http://www.cgtextures.com/ free to use as I wish?
    CGTextures posted:
    LICENSE

CGTextures offers photographs of materials ("Textures") on its website (www.cgtextures.com) for game developers, special effects artists, graphic designers and other professions. No payment or royalties are required to use these Textures. The use of Textures is non-exclusive, royalty free, and you have the right to modify them for the uses permitted under the clause Conditions of Use.
    Most Textures on the CGTextures website are photographed by CGTextures. A small part is photographed by third party contributors ("Contributors"). CGTextures has separate agreements with these Contributors in which they grant CGTextures permission to add their Textures to the website. All terms and conditions in this License apply to both groups of Textures.
    All Textures and materials remain in ownership of CGTextures or the Contributor and the Textures and materials are licensed to you, not sold.
    http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=license

Here you go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

6. Post #3926
    March 2010
    1,004 Posts
    I'm just going to throw this up here before I go to bed. Yes, the sidewalk isn't aligned and all, but I wanted to post this before I went to bed as opposed to spending a long time aligning all of the sidewalk, as there's quite a lot of them.

Lighting is temporary, as is the skybox, which I am in the process of making a custom one right now. It'll be much more sunnier and brighter in the final build. What was something small turned into something I can see myself finishing and not go reach one of the billions of Hammer errors, or have to crazily optimize it, and lead to my first good release. I needed to take a break from my Mirror's Edge map anyway...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #3927
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,722 Posts
    This is ZM_DesertInterstate_MCDR (Long name isn't it?)

I've been working on this map for the past week (Still a MAJOR WIP), it's for the Counter-Strike Zombie Mod gamemode.

Before saying; "Why are there so many vending machines?" "Those library shelves don't match the desert very well." If you haven't played Zombie Mod before, they're a MUST for Zombie Mod maps.
    Sure being creative and making new models would be cool, but also time consuming and I don't think server operators will like the file size.

Otherwise there are a few lighting glitches with the vending machines across the map which i'm aware of. I would love some C&C about this map (Keep in-mind it's still a WIP), frankly i've only been mapping for the past year and this is the first time i've released a map; or getting opinions/criticism.

A few things i'd like to point out are:

-The empty desert behind the Utility Station. It's really barren and i'd like to add something to it but i'm not entirely sure.
    -I'm clueless about making 3D skyboxes, every tutorial i've read or watched doesn't fit the description of what i'm trying to do.
    -Yes, I know the vending machines are glowing even though in reality their not actually on when being loaded into a truck. (I just wanted to bring more interesting lighting into the mix.)
    -Sounds from the Ring of Fire echo throughout the map. (Because When the Man Comes Around is overused.) And Got to be Real for the night version.
    -Decals aren't showing up in-game for some reason? There's supposed to be a rug in that room.
    -"Why is that door not on it's hinges and is laying on the wall?" Cause if I put a door there it would be spammed and people wouldn't be able to get in/out.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a night version of the map here. (Due to popular request from some of my friends)

It uses a custom skybox because the default one(s) are too bright, I wanted to make a night version of a map that REQUIRED you to use a flashlight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #3928
    May 2012
    243 Posts
    skybox is stretched in day version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

9. Post #3929
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,722 Posts
    skybox is stretched in day version
    Wow, I actually didn't notice that. How do I fix it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

10. Post #3930
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,332 Posts
    add _hdr at the end of the skybox name
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

11. Post #3931
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    491 Posts
    General:
    -Road should be elevated, and probably made into a highway instead of an interstate type thing
    -Amount of vehicles isn't even believable really
    -Displacements need to be done
    -There should be a parking lot of some sort
    -Building itself is really bland (put in decals and overlays)

ZM Specific:
    -Not enough buildings or hiding places for the mode in general. You've got three places people are going to defend, and they're all in the back of those trucks. It's going to be shit for zombies because trucks are douches.
    -Map is in general too small for anything over 16 players.

Yeup. I know it's WIP, but you should still do these things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3932
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    All the vehicles are pointing dead forward, and some have damage on even though they are all a set distance apart. It's amazing how some big apocalypse event occured, and yet everyone just left their cars in an orderly manner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #3933
    April 2012
    192 Posts
    I'm just going to throw this up here before I go to bed. Yes, the sidewalk isn't aligned and all, but I wanted to post this before I went to bed as opposed to spending a long time aligning all of the sidewalk, as there's quite a lot of them.
    ~
    Lighting is temporary, as is the skybox, which I am in the process of making a custom one right now. It'll be much more sunnier and brighter in the final build. What was something small turned into something I can see myself finishing and not go reach one of the billions of Hammer errors, or have to crazily optimize it, and lead to my first good release. I needed to take a break from my Mirror's Edge map anyway...
    You may actually want to find a way to remove shadows altogether so it looks more like Onett, but not fullbright either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

14. Post #3934
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,428 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

15. Post #3935
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,722 Posts
    General:
    -Road should be elevated, and probably made into a highway instead of an interstate type thing
    -Amount of vehicles isn't even believable really
    -Displacements need to be done
    -There should be a parking lot of some sort
    -Building itself is really bland (put in decals and overlays)

ZM Specific:
    -Not enough buildings or hiding places for the mode in general. You've got three places people are going to defend, and they're all in the back of those trucks. It's going to be shit for zombies because trucks are douches.
    -Map is in general too small for anything over 16 players.

Yeup. I know it's WIP, but you should still do these things.
    Decal's aren't working for some reason? I put a rug in the main room of the Utility Building but it doesn't appear in-game. I also put numerous decals over the concrete and they aren't appearing either? Also when I did the sky_day01_06_hdr I keep getting a $basetexture problem in the console, all the parts of the sky are drawn but it's like it's missing the bottom texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #3936
    March 2010
    1,004 Posts
    You may actually want to find a way to remove shadows altogether so it looks more like Onett, but not fullbright either.
    That's what I was planning to do. I've been messing around with it, but I haven't gotten anything satisfying at the moment, so I just put temporary lighting for sake of screenshots. But yeah, it'll be a lot sunnier and brighter when I get the right settings for it. There'll still be some shadows though, just not a gigantic angle. Looking at the actual map, the sun shining east on a small angle, which is what I'm aiming to achieve.

Now that I'm 90% done with making the buildings, I gotta start working on flower sprites and put them where they're needed, and make a bunch of tree/bush models. There's only like 3 that would need to be made too, considering the bushes are ironically just the tops of the trees without the trunk. Good ol' recycling of sprites.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

17. Post #3937
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,012 Posts
    Are you using a program to make these skyboxes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3938
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,428 Posts
    Of course. Terragen 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #3939
    March 2009
    564 Posts
    Could you do a stormy night one? With the moon covered but some light coming through? Would be helpful cause this things supposed to happen at night.

Very cluttered I know, but you can climb across all the rooftops without ever reaching the ground or walking across convenient over sized boards.
    Light_environment is still the temp, like I said its actually a night map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #3940
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,015 Posts
    That crane
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 15Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #3941
    April 2009
    928 Posts
    Thats seriously massive crane...

dammit .. oskuninja
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

22. Post #3942
    March 2009
    564 Posts
    Yea spent forever trying to make that thing look normal but I decided its just gonna look like its straight out of an old CSS map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #3943
    October 2007
    285 Posts
    Newest is at the bottom.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 7Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

24. Post #3944
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    2,954 Posts
    Of course. Terragen 2
    You should make a cloud layer with mountains peeking up from the bottom. Also post sun angles for your screenshots?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

25. Post #3945
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Youme- it is an idea to post in game screens, as hammer ones look ugly as hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #3946
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,247 Posts
    Newest is at the bottom.

Wish I could think of a nice map layout for TF2. I'm fine at detail, but layout is my vice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

27. Post #3947
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,732 Posts
    Wish I could think of a nice map layout for TF2. I'm fine at detail, but layout is my vice.
    Find someone who can do layouts but not detail.

For example, I'm pretty good at CS map layouts. But I don't map.

I don't even know why I visit this thread. I should leave.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #3948
    March 2010
    1,004 Posts

That's a horrible attitude you got there. Just because you don't map doesn't mean you can't be here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

29. Post #3949
    Fuck You, Laren Faust
    July 2009
    2,408 Posts
    Whats the best way to light a lamp prop?

30. Post #3950
    June 2012
    41 Posts
    Whats the best way to light a lamp prop?
    disable shadows on the prop, put a light inside (your choice in brightness and color, i'm not sure what you mean by a lamp) and then put a env_sprite with a light_glow texture or something similar inside as well.

also, make sure to turn the "size of glow proxy geometry" up in the env_sprite settings, so you can still see it through the prop, and also to make sure its render mode is on world space glow.

31. Post #3951
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,428 Posts
    You should make a cloud layer with mountains peeking up from the bottom. Also post sun angles for your screenshots?
    I prefer not to add anything like terrain, because it breaks away from the fact that its normally able to fit into any scene. Adding mountains should be done in game.

Also These are rough estimates, feel free to change them.

skybox - 4.03 mb

Pitch Yaw roll
    0 300 0

pitch

Isn't really defined in the sky, you can set it to whatever you want as there is almost no highlights or clouds to show direction.

Skybox - 5.15 mb

Pitch Yaw roll
    0 245 0

pitch

Skybox - 2.87 mb

Pitch Yaw roll
    0 210 0

pitch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

32. Post #3952
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,247 Posts

that doesn't help solve my vice

33. Post #3953
    Fuck You, Laren Faust
    July 2009
    2,408 Posts
    I can't make the BlockLight Texture cast shadows. What am I doing wrong?

34. Post #3954
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    I can't make the BlockLight Texture cast shadows. What am I doing wrong?
    I could be horribly wrong but I've always thought every face of the brush needs the blocklight texture, if you haven't done so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #3955
    Awesome Gmod Servers!
    September 2011
    1,972 Posts
    That soda machine is haunting your entire map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

36. Post #3956

September 2010
    122 Posts
    IGNORE LIGHT(S)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

37. Post #3957
    November 2010
    859 Posts
    IGNORE LIGHT(S)

2 question.
    1.Why is grass growing through concrete.
    2.Those trees aren't jungle trees ?

But so far this look great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3958
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,012 Posts
    2 question.
    1.Why is grass growing through concrete.
    You know that's a thing that actually happens right?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3959
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    You know that's a thing that actually happens right?

That grass is growing in the cracks in the concrete, not just out of the concrete itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #3960
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,012 Posts
    That grass is growing in the cracks in the concrete, not just out of the concrete itself.
    Sprites rotate, what is he meant to do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)