1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,704 Posts
    Yep. Click short cut, flashes a bit of a white screen, goes away.

I've tried installing it 3 times now... I guess the universe doesn't want me making any more movies :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

2. Post #82
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    Fuck the universe! Did you try installing it to another folder?
    I guess this suggestion would be stupid, considering you're the founder of SFM Wiki but did you run the regular beta without any tools before running SFM?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Latvia Show Events

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,569 Posts
    I guess this suggestion would be stupid, considering you're the founder of SFM Wiki but did you run the regular beta without any tools before running SFM?
    I didn't bother with that and mine works fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,704 Posts
    That doesn't even launch for some reason.

5. Post #85
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    Shit happens.. But not to gods!! Did you get all the fixes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,569 Posts
    What are your launch configs for the shortcut? Any -arguments, Run As Administrator checked, compatability mode options?

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,704 Posts
    What are your launch configs for the shortcut? Any -arguments, Run As Administrator checked, compatability mode options?
    Arguments are correct. I've tried running it with any number of combinations that I can think of. Tried Win XP x32 compatibility mode, tried running as an admin. Nothing works :frown:

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,569 Posts
    Arguments are correct. I've tried running it with any number of combinations that I can think of. Tried Win XP x32 compatibility mode, tried running as an admin. Nothing works :frown:
    I'm just thinking regarding the arguments - they're there for the sake of actually rendering, aren't they? If you could get your game to run, even if it can't render, it's progress. Also, couple of stupid questions - any hardware changes since successfully running it last, and did you completely clear out all the files associated with SFM, not just Program Files?

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,704 Posts
    Installed it for the first time on this computer a few days ago, so there's been no HW changes.

10. Post #90
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    Did installing it to another directory help?

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,569 Posts
    Installed it for the first time on this computer a few days ago, so there's been no HW changes.
    If it's the first time ever, there still may be hardware conflictions unless the hardware perfectly matches any previous computers.

12. Post #92
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    I got a new Graphics Card a week ago and I was using SFM before that and I didn't have to reinstall it. It still works even after the HW changes.

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    351 Posts
    I just realised something, to do with Shane Acker and "Deep"'s use of the Source Engine.

Essentially this: We can only assume that this means that his team are using Source Filmmaker. If they're using Valve's SFM tools, it must mean that they've finished refining it to a point where they're happy with people using it for purposes like this. It feels to me that its release must be just on the horizon, especially considering that it was implied to be on the cards for release this year around the time of the Saxxies.

Or I could be too optimistic and the Deep team are just using Source Filmmaker because they're working with Valve. Either/or.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

14. Post #94
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    All I can tell you about your speculation is "I fcking hope so".
    But there's one thing.. Would the official release mean the end of our collaborative work to find out more about the magic tool? Valve might release a full documentation and all our work could go to waste.

15. Post #95
    July 2011
    91 Posts
    I wouldn't say it would go to waste, I mean think of all the stuff we were able to accomplish with an extremely buggy release already. And if it's anything like the current version of sfm in the slightest we well already have a deep understanding of it to help it take off in the right direction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #96
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    But what if(I hate saying that) it's more like the Replay Editor? What if Valve decides that SFM's UI is too user-unfriendly and makes it something like pressing gigantic colorful buttons and answering to stupid "Would you like to..." Questions, and gets rid of the DME editor as it's too complicated for poottards? Of course, a simple "Add hat" or "Attach prop" button would be great but simplifying the UI too much would just be too lame.
    Maybe I am just a pesimist.. And everything I just wrote is a way to express lack of faith in Valve's decisions.. Let's wait and see.

For now let's continue making discoveries. I've got some theories about some stuff but I'm too busy with animating(my first serious animating) my new vids to try them out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,653 Posts
    But what if(I hate saying that) it's more like the Replay Editor? What if Valve decides that SFM's UI is too user-unfriendly and makes it something like pressing gigantic colorful buttons and answering to stupid "Would you like to..." Questions, and gets rid of the DME editor as it's too complicated for poottards? Of course, a simple "Add hat" or "Attach prop" button would be great but simplifying the UI too much would just be too lame.
    Maybe I am just a pesimist.. And everything I just wrote is a way to express lack of faith in Valve's decisions.. Let's wait and see.

For now let's continue making discoveries. I've got some theories about some stuff but I'm too busy with animating(my first serious animating) my new vids to try them out.
    If they don't worry about that kind of stuff for the SDK tools, then I really doubt they would worry about it for SFM.

18. Post #98
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    Is there really no way to import more than 1 animation for 1 character?

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,569 Posts
    Images for Steam Grid View for anyone who's on the beta

My own quick attempt:

Wowza!'s image
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    July 2011
    91 Posts
    So anyone think source filmmaker is coming out with meet the pyro?

(Because tbh its the thing i'm most excited for).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    I hope it does. This glitchy SFM is freezing on me like every 30 minutes.

So what about importing more than 1 DMX animation for a character?

22. Post #102
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    You wanna import 2 DMX animations on one character? I don't understand. Why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #103

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    I don't know how to work this machine aka Source FilmMaker.

24. Post #104
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    Here's some basic videos to help get you started.

Hope that helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,683 Posts
    oh shit that last one is mine. i gave up on SFM shortly after. i really want an official release with MTP, i would make stuff

26. Post #106

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    And I don't have it installed. FUUUUUUU-

27. Post #107
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    oh shit that last one is mine. i gave up on SFM shortly after. i really want an official release with MTP, i would make stuff
    Well thank you for making it. It's definitely helped me out and others :D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    791 Posts
    Well thank you for making it. It's definitely helped me out and others :D.
    Agreed, every one of those tutorials is where most of us got our start with SFM and I know I'm incredibly thankful to have had access to them for reference.

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,659 Posts
    Any kind soul who would like to convert two FBX files to DMX for me? The plug-ins keep crashing my Maya.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1650946/Sni...0bout%20me.fbx 200 frames
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1650946/Spy...0bout%20me.fbx 400 frames
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

30. Post #110
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    What did you animate this in? I got some skin errors for the spy and the animation didn't play on both the sniper and spy.

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,659 Posts
    What did you animate this in? I got some skin errors for the spy and the animation didn't play on both the sniper and spy did not play.
    Hmm I get these errors too. They work just fine in Motionbuilder 2011, but when i export them into Maya they don't. I'm looking into it.
    Thanks alot for helping though!

32. Post #112
    July 2011
    91 Posts
    Any kind soul who would like to convert two FBX files to DMX for me? The plug-ins keep crashing my Maya.
    Don't know if anyone did it already but here you go

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213240/Sni...rgetBoutMe.dmx
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213240/Spy-ForgetBoutMe.dmx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,659 Posts
    Thanks a lot, but I'm afraid that I've provided you with some bugged FBX files so they don't really contain any animation. I think I've found a solution though so if anyone has the time, could they try it with these two new files?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1650946/Sniper.fbx
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1650946/Spy.fbx

34. Post #114
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    Reinstalled windows and now my plugins dont work. Can someone upload the 2009 plugins for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    THE FRESH PRINCE OF COMPTON
    November 2011
    564 Posts
    If it doesn't come out this summer I'm going to be highly disappointed, for obvious reasons.

However, a video I recently watched (which I can't find, fuck me), had a 5 second clip of a guy working for Valve doing some motion capture for them, and SFM (a radically different version by the looks of it) was running on the laptop being used. Clearly, it's what Valve uses, so they must have advanced it to be much better than that hardly usable version included in the 2007 leak.

Therefore, they must be done with it. It's been 5 years. I really want to see it released and all the signs point to it.

36. Post #116
    July 2011
    91 Posts
    Thanks a lot, but I'm afraid that I've provided you with some bugged FBX files so they don't really contain any animation. I think I've found a solution though so if anyone has the time, could they try it with these two new files?
    Tried these out in sfm myself they don't seem to have any animation still but here they are incase i'm doing something wrong.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213240/sniper.dmx
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213240/spy.dmx

37. Post #117
    This title is totally OVERKILL™!
    November 2011
    8,540 Posts
    Does anyone know why the Pyro and Soldier Maya rigs don't work for SFM? I can animate in them, and export, but when I load the animation in SFM it doesn't recognize the bones and the animation doesn't work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,659 Posts
    Tried these out in sfm myself they don't seem to have any animation still but here they are incase i'm doing something wrong.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213240/sniper.dmx
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16213240/spy.dmx
    I can't get them to work either. Wonder what I'm doing wrong. Again thanks a lot and sorry for wasting your time

39. Post #119
    July 2011
    91 Posts
    -snip-
    nevermind saw other post

40. Post #120
    March 2012
    68 Posts
    Why do I have the feeling that SFM won't be released in this update?