1. Post #4281
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    Guys, pardon me if i'm just being dumb but, well, when i select the model's animation set and extract the phonemes, nothing happens. Why?

I can't tweak the model sliders (like the smile) aswell, they just return to place.
    Are you in the motion editor? And are you using the HWM model?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #4282
    tell PETA my mink is dragging on the floor
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    Starting a project, going to need to use the graph editor a lot for lipsyncing. Anyone have some sort of video tutorial or guide on lipsyncing with the graph editor. Or just any general tips?

I've seen the bouncing ball tutorial before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #4283
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,701 Posts
    Starting a project, going to need to use the graph editor a lot for lipsyncing. Anyone have some sort of video tutorial or guide on lipsyncing with the graph editor. Or just any general tips?

I've seen the bouncing ball tutorial before.
    Try to use as few phonemes/visemes as possible. Your lipsync will look a lot more natural if you can refrain from using an entirely new phoneme every other frame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4284
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    Try to use as few phonemes/visemes as possible. Your lipsync will look a lot more natural if you can refrain from using an entirely new phoneme every other frame.
    You mean do everything by hand?
    Or use phenomes, but skip the less important ones.

Also I've never used visemes, what is the difference between those and phenomes?

5. Post #4285
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,701 Posts
    You mean do everything by hand?
    Or use phenomes, but skip the less important ones.

Also I've never used visemes, what is the difference between those and phenomes?
    As far as I'm aware, visemes are a more general mouth shape. The phoneme presets are used by the automated extraction process. There may be several phonemes associated with a single viseme. Like the phoneme (sounds) k, g, and j all share the same viseme (ch). I just like using the viseme table because there's less of them and the ones I'm looking for are easier to find.

For lip syncing, yeah, it's best to only use the important phonemes. For example, if you were trying to lip sync the word "anti-matter", don't put phonemes for "ah-n-t-iy-m-ah-t-er", instead do something like "ah-iy-m-ah-er". This will create smoother transitions between the phonemes that really matter and slow down the movement of the mouth because there isn't as much change going on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #4286
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    As far as I'm aware, visemes are a more general mouth shape. The phoneme presets are used by the automated extraction process. There may be several phonemes associated with a single viseme. Like the phoneme (sounds) k, g, and j all share the same viseme (ch). I just like using the viseme table because there's less of them and the ones I'm looking for are easier to find.

For lip syncing, yeah, it's best to only use the important phonemes. For example, if you were trying to lip sync the word "anti-matter", don't put phonemes for "ah-n-t-iy-m-ah-t-er", instead do something like "ah-iy-m-ah-er". This will create smoother transitions between the phonemes that really matter and slow down the movement of the mouth because there isn't as much change going on.
    When do I use phenomes, and when do I use visemes?

7. Post #4287
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,701 Posts
    Doesn't really matter. I just like Visemes because the table is smaller and more organized.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #4288
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    Doesn't really matter. I just like Visemes because the table is smaller and more organized.
    Do you use the motion editor or the graph editor?
    If the graph editor, how exactly is it done?

(Sorry to you for grilling you, but I figure other people might learn from this information as well)

9. Post #4289
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,701 Posts
    Do you use the motion editor or the graph editor?
    If the graph editor, how exactly is it done?

(Sorry to you for grilling you, but I figure other people might learn from this information as well)
    I don't do any sort of animation in the Motion Editor. I only use that for changing positions of things and some other basic stuff.

All you have to do is set keyframes (bookmarks) at the points in time when want a facial expression to happen. Once you've made the keyframe, start playing around with the phoneme/viseme/muscle sliders until you have an expression that you're happy with, and move on to the next point in time that needs a facial expression. Then you can tweak the graph curve to fine tune your animations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #4290
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    I don't do any sort of animation in the Motion Editor. I only use that for changing positions of things and some other basic stuff.

All you have to do is set keyframes (bookmarks) at the points in time when want a facial expression to happen. Once you've made the keyframe, start playing around with the phoneme/viseme/muscle sliders until you have an expression that you're happy with, and move on to the next point in time that needs a facial expression. Then you can tweak the graph curve to fine tune your animations.
    I've tried that before for lipsyncing, and it gave me an undesired effect. It was too curvy if that makes sense. The different facial expressions spilled on to eachother, but it's probably because I put too many phenomes instead of skipping a few to make it look natural like you stated. Before starting lipsyncing with the graph editor, is there anything I should change? Any buttons I should know about? Anything to keep in mind?

11. Post #4291
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,200 Posts
    Phonemes are visemes are the same thing, sort of

the difference is that phonemes are for sound, visemes are for visual

example:

viseme: AA
    phoneme: AA, AE, AX

AA, AE, AX are technically different but from a visual standpoint there's gonna be no perceptible difference, so you just use AA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

12. Post #4292
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    Phonemes are visemes are the same thing, sort of

the difference is that phonemes are for sound, visemes are for visual

example:

viseme: AA
    phoneme: AA, AE, AX

AA, AE, AX are technically different but from a visual standpoint there's gonna be no perceptible difference, so you just use AA
    So when lipsyncing by hand, use visemes because it looks the same as phenomes + less clutter?

13. Post #4293
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,200 Posts
    So when lipsyncing by hand, use visemes because it looks the same as phenomes + less clutter?
    yeah pretty much

14. Post #4294
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,383 Posts
    The guy who made Practical Problems posted a video to celebrate getting 75,000 views, demonstrating some of the dirty little tricks he used:

0.00-0.10: A scaled down rocket with mini custom cloud textures and matte painting square. The rocket is the only thing that doesn't move while the rest moves up and rotates towards it as the camera shakes, creating the illusion.

0.11-0.18: Another scaled down rocket. This time in a custom version of 2fort with the bridge removed. Then using custom individual plank pieces i rebuilt it. The mini rocket creates the illusion of being super high as the full scale rocket would clip through the skybox. When it gets to the point of impact I switch out the mini rocket for the full size one and line them up via the camera perspective. I then animated each of the pieces of the bridge myself with some payload pre baked explosion rubble in front to represent the ground.

0:19 onwards: Examples of the ipi motion capture data via 2 kinects. I didn't bother moving my head or hands much as it only tracks the lower half of the spine and the forearms. Upper chest/neck is not recorded and needs to be done by hand. The map at the end was made in Hammer. A quick rip and paste job of 2fort with a load of assets added to the pile within SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #4295
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,889 Posts
    is anyone working on a tf2 version of the opening scene of The Wire? if not you should. that'd be pretty fun to watch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #4296
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,744 Posts
    I closed a window on accident, how do I put it back in the main SFM window? I can drag it around but it doesn't put itself back in when I open it from the window tab.

17. Post #4297
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,200 Posts
    I closed a window on accident, how do I put it back in the main SFM window? I can drag it around but it doesn't put itself back in when I open it from the window tab.
    CTRL+F1

18. Post #4298
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,744 Posts
    That just puts it back in where it opened.

Here's where it is first:

I move it:

Then I press that command and it moved it back to the first photo. I just want it to look like how when I first opened SFM.

19. Post #4299
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    54 Posts
    I just want it to look like how when I first opened SFM.
    View -> Layout -> Try some of these...

Actually it does what Max suggested (shortcut for the first layout), so it seems that you might have overwritten one of the layouts there...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

20. Post #4300
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,744 Posts
    View -> Layout -> Try some of these...

Actually it does what Max suggested (shortcut for the first layout), so it seems that you might have overwritten one of the layouts there...
    Is there a way to restore it? I'll just work with another one in the mean time.

21. Post #4301
    March 2010
    56 Posts
    which model?
    Are you in the motion editor? And are you using the HWM model?
    I was using the heavy HWM model. Not sure if i was on motion editor editor, i'll try it later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

22. Post #4302
    Actually a Time Lord
    November 2011
    7,739 Posts
    The guy who made Practical Problems posted a video to celebrate getting 75,000 views, demonstrating some of the dirty little tricks he used:

Time to buy a Kinect, I suppose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #4303

June 2010
    79 Posts
    He used two kinects, and software that costs over a thousand dollars.

24. Post #4304
    May 2011
    1,374 Posts
    I did my first bit of sentence mixing in SFM.

MaxOfS2D will probably like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

25. Post #4305
    Actually a Time Lord
    November 2011
    7,739 Posts
    He used two kinects, and software that costs over a thousand dollars.
    iPi is free.

Edited:

Oh wait, that's a trial. Nevermind then. But I doubt iPi is that expensive.

Edited:

Oh, a little under a thousand dollars. I see.

Well, disregard everything I've said thus far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

26. Post #4306
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,490 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #4307

June 2010
    79 Posts
    ideally, you're dropping nearly a thousand dollars on the software and two kinects. that's out of most people's price range.

28. Post #4308
    April 2010
    94 Posts
    why wont this thread die?

(User was banned for this post ("why reply" - postal))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23 (list)

29. Post #4309
    May 2011
    1,374 Posts
    Cause people are using it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

30. Post #4310
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    What? Why would it? Everyone's talking about Source Film Maker. It's not exactly a dead topic...

What are you on about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

31. Post #4311
    July 2012
    38 Posts
    After seeing the cloaking material tutorial, I was wondering if it's possible to create animation sets for other elements in the element viewer. What I'm interested in is the timeFrame element nested in the activeClip. If I could make that an animation set, well, I'd probably be able to do a slowing-down slowmotion effect. Any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

32. Post #4312

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    why wont you leave?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #4313
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,538 Posts
    Well, you could use this:
    http://www.brekel.com/?page_id=155
    It's probably not as advanced, but it is available for the extremely reasonable price of free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #4314
    May 2011
    5,093 Posts
    I'm finally getting my new Desktop on Monday, hopefully. I intend to immediately download SFM and begin learning how to do shit in preparation for the Saxxies. Can I ask anyone here, for a guy who has no knowledge in animating, coding, etc, how long does it take to really get the feel of SFM?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

35. Post #4315
    June 2009
    239 Posts
    I'm finally getting my new Desktop on Monday, hopefully. I intend to immediately download SFM and begin learning how to do shit in preparation for the Saxxies. Can I ask anyone here, for a guy who has no knowledge in animating, coding, etc, how long does it take to really get the feel of SFM?
    The rest of your life.

In all seriousness, I've done the tutorial and two small independent projects. A 30-second clip took me almost two days to make, granted I spent too much time trying my hand at some crazy animations.

Regardless, it's mostly fucking around until you've got it to a point that looks good. I guess we eventually learn how to fuck around more efficiently and with better results, but for now it's mostly try your hand and see what comes out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #4316
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,556 Posts
    New to this but how to i import other models from other games Like big daddys, or locust from Gears of war?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #4317
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    New to this but how to i import other models from other games Like big daddys, or locust from Gears of war?
    Find a .mdl file from garrysmod.org of what you're looking for
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

38. Post #4318
    THE FRESH PRINCE OF COMPTON
    November 2011
    564 Posts
    I figured I could show a one minute clip from my video! It's a work in progress (especially the sound), mind!

Oh god I can't wait until this releases. Fuck that looks awesome.

Edited:

I'm probably riding the bandwagon now but why do you have to show up and shitpost everywhere?

You're one of the worst posters on this board at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #4319
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    1,044 Posts
    On the subject of Mocap, I created this with it, using 1 Xbox Kinect and iPi, only having to modify some positioning of the hands and head (that head movement is really slow, I know, and I'm trying to fix it as best as I can). Sadly, I haven't found a way to import into Maya for dmx exporting yet, or else it all fucks up. I'll make a tutorial later if anyone's interested.

And honestly, I love iPi, but it's so expensive. Brekel has some good features (such as not having to manually track bones at first, or the direct link with MotionBuilder), but iPi makes it a one button press to export to smd without any problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

40. Post #4320
    THE TRUE SAN DIEGAN WARLORD
    Dennab
    June 2008
    2,932 Posts
    dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)