1. Post #361
    January 2010
    9,762 Posts
    Bought combined operations, 1 hour left until all downloads are done.

I've played the arma II free edition almost all week, and I fucking love it. Me and 3 other friends went playing together and it was hilarous. One of those friends also bought it (and another already had ARMAII), so we can continue playing together. Of course, I can also play with the rest of facepunch now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

2. Post #362
    December 2007
    330 Posts
    Arma isn't that realistic which makes some seemingly realistic things actually unbalancing.

For example supressing fire is inefficient and practically wasting ammo. Accurate guns such as snipers dominate if you fight out of CQB.
    Only reason suppressive fire does not work is because its a videogame and ppl don't give a shit about dying.

In PR there have been a couple times when suppressive fire was actually effective. Like pinning people in a doorway, or behind a rock in the middle of the field, if they move they die, so pretty much suppressed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #363
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,798 Posts
    Is PR for ArmA 2 only Operation Arrowhead? I don't have OA :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,238 Posts
    Is PR for ArmA 2 only Operation Arrowhead? I don't have OA :smith:
    Combined Ops.

5. Post #365
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,966 Posts
    you can see through leaves and bushes and shit

Edited:

in real life
    same concept applies
    vegetation isn't solid cover like a wall
    But in Arma, a solid 10 by 6 foot bush wall is the only thing that'll prevent the enemy from seeing you. Trying to hide in a small bush or god forbid in grass will end with the aimbot AI spotting you as soon as they get within range. What Falchion said is completely true. Arma isn't that realistic, while it is probably the best we're going to have for a while as far as realistic tactical shooters go, especially with how large the maps can be.

Edited:

Only reason suppressive fire does not work is because its a videogame and ppl don't give a shit about dying.

In PR there have been a couple times when suppressive fire was actually effective. Like pinning people in a doorway, or behind a rock in the middle of the field, if they move they die, so pretty much suppressed.
    Suppressive fire works plenty well in PvP I don't know what you're talking about lol. In a PvP game that last longer than 5 minutes people will start to legitimately care about their survival in fairytale land. I'm not even going to bother with suppressing AI though, only a few AI mods implement that (badly).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    March 2011
    4,798 Posts
    Combined Ops.
    What? So if I have ArmA 2 and buy Operation Arrowhead I still can't play? That makes no sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,598 Posts
    oa and arma 2 is combined ops
    it's OA using arma 2 content, project reality requires it

8. Post #368
    March 2011
    4,798 Posts
    oa and arma 2 is combined ops
    it's OA using arma 2 content, project reality requires it
    So if you own ArmA 2 already, can you just buy OA? I see no reason to buy Combined Ops if you already have ArmA 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,598 Posts
    combined ops isn't like an actual thing, it's the term when you custom load arma 2 content into operation arrowhead, if you already own arma 2 you can just buy oa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,192 Posts
    Just added WarFX and Zeus' AI mod to the addon collection. The AI tweaks are great, enemy soldiers will try to take cover in buildings and their weapons aren't laser-accurate anymore. I can now move my people under fire and have more sustained firefights. WarFX has added some sweet fireworks and other eye candy to go with it. Gotta love getting shot at with RPGs...

11. Post #371
    August 2011
    501 Posts
    I really wanna play ARMA 2 again but my disc's bloody scratched. I can run it on my laptop but when I try it on my desktop it just keeps on spinning. I mailed customer support so hopefully they have something that might help. Anyone know if I can just add my serial to Steam and download it there?

12. Post #372
    May 2011
    391 Posts
    I really wanna play ARMA 2 again but my disc's bloody scratched. I run it on my laptop but when I try it on my desktop it just keeps spinning. I mailed customer support so hopefully they have something that might help. Anyone know if I can just add my serial to Steam and download it there?
    You can't add your CD key to steam, but I'm pretty sure if you legitimately own the CD and a CD-Key then you're okay to just download the game from elsewhere and install it with that CD Key.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,192 Posts
    I really wanna play ARMA 2 again but my disc's bloody scratched. I run it on my laptop but when I try it on my desktop it just keeps spinning. I mailed customer support so hopefully they have something that might help. Anyone know if I can just add my serial to Steam and download it there?
    Got any movie rental stores in your area? Ask nice and they might run it through their disk polisher.

Alternatively, customer support. Best case scenario maybe they could hook you up with a new key for Steam.

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    110 Posts
    If you plan on playing online I'd advise backing up any files you edit if it comes to that

No differently to if you bought it on CD. You can run A2 without launching steam. MP missions on a vanilla game require no effort on your part, simply connect to the server and it'll download the mission in about 5-20 secs. I'd recommend getting Six updater and ArmA 2 launcher. Six updater allows you to get a list of mods from a specific server and automatically download and install them. ArmA 2 launcher lets you select which mods you want to launch so you don't have to make or edit shortcuts. Add me on steam and I'll walk you through shit if you don't understand.
    Ah, thanks a lot buddy. Me and a couple of friends are looking into joining the realism/tactical games of ArmA and this helped quite a bit.
    Just a question regarding latency, how badly does it affect gameplay? IE. Will a couple hundred ping make the game unplayable? (Mainly because I'm unsure about the player-base in Australia for this kind of thing.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    5,995 Posts
    Basically lag doesn't really affect your movement, just everything else. So if you have high latency you'll see people teleporting about. But I live in the UK and can play on AUS and US servers (up to 300ms) with little/no issues. The only bad thing is desyncing but it only happens when there's lots of shit going on or littered around the map

Edited:

joined a server last night and people was moaning about people buying the game on deal via steam and calling them "newbs" and how they're Uber because they paid "full price" and other nasty words, i called them out saying do they want arma 3 or do they want Bohemia to go bust.

fucking dumb arse cunts wanna think before they run their mouths and ruining the game for newcomers.
    People like that are complete dickheads. I've bought OFP:R/Gold twice and all the subsequent games in the series at full price. Why give a fuck what people paid for their game when all it means is more potentially good players, and more money for BI?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #376
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts
    Arma isn't that realistic which makes some seemingly realistic things actually unbalancing.

For example supressing fire is inefficient and practically wasting ammo. Accurate guns such as snipers dominate if you fight out of CQB.
    Suppressive fire is actually very effective against AI. If you keep shooting in their direction, they'll panic, prone and keep crawling short distances without even thinking of shooting you. It's too effective.
    It just doesn't seem effective because they can't grasp the concept of actually going behind cover.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    im bringing sexy back
    they liked my mission and .2 pr will turn your nuts black
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    5,995 Posts
    This map is really nice
    http://www.armedassault.info/index.p...id=5720&game=1
    Based in Ireland. Someone also released IRA units
    Happy St. Patrick's day lol

To be honest this game could do with a mod based on the NI conflict. I can't think of any game that even touches on the subject.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #379
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,048 Posts
    Suppressive fire is actually very effective against AI. If you keep shooting in their direction, they'll panic, prone and keep crawling short distances without even thinking of shooting you. It's too effective.
    It just doesn't seem effective because they can't grasp the concept of actually going behind cover.
    Their normal danger mode AI makes them prone and crawl short distances. That's the AI's conception of seeking cover.

Edit: Even when they just see you they will prone and crawl short distances for a while before bothering to shoot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

20. Post #380
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    January 2007
    2,692 Posts
    This map is really nice
    http://www.armedassault.info/index.p...id=5720&game=1
    Based in Ireland. Someone also released IRA units
    Happy St. Patrick's day lol

To be honest this game could do with a mod based on the NI conflict. I can't think of any game that even touches on the subject.

Because it would get Daily Mail'd/The Sun'd into oblivion if a mainstream publisher even coughed at it

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    5,995 Posts
    We need to have a goddamn game soon!

22. Post #382
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,677 Posts
    im back from austria hello
    game later this week-weekend probably, i'm open for suggestions on a date
    not today tho

23. Post #383
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    16,089 Posts

that's why you compensate for it being a video game by adding something like blurring effects when being suppressed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    I think RO2 does it well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

25. Post #385
    December 2007
    330 Posts
    I don't think blur is the solution, that is just silly.

26. Post #386
    July 2007
    3,332 Posts
    If anything adrenaline makes your senses more sharp..

something like an auto duck would be nice, not all the way tho.. just a small shift :V

27. Post #387
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    blurring is not how you suppress
    you suppress when you're suppressed
    aka so much fire you can't move

28. Post #388
    April 2010
    4,945 Posts
    blurring is not how you suppress
    you suppress when you're suppressed
    aka so much fire you can't move
    Okay, but in real life, you get 1 life. In a video game? You respawn over and over, so suppression doesn't have the same effect that it would if 1 bullet could end your whole existence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #389
    December 2007
    330 Posts
    Well use your brain and don't stick your face in the line of fire trying to snap shoot. Go around and fire from the side.

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    5,995 Posts
    PRA2 and I think ACE have a decent suppression system. Basically when shitloads of bullets are passing by/landing near you you'll have weapon shake like you've been running a bit. This both prevents bullshit snap-shot return fire and encourages the suppressed player to stay in cover until there's a break in enemy fire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,164 Posts
    Okay, but in real life, you get 1 life. In a video game? You respawn over and over, so suppression doesn't have the same effect that it would if 1 bullet could end your whole existence.
    Then play TvT missions without respawns?

32. Post #392
    May 2010
    1,302 Posts
    I would love to try and get into a multiplayer game with everyone.
    It's such a pain trying to get into MP events on facepunch, because my work schedule is completely fucked.
    I work 3pm to 11:30pm at one job on Tuesday, then Thursday-Sunday. Then my Mondays and Wednesdays are usually spent in the kitchen at my other job.
    Two jobs can go suck a dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    July 2007
    3,332 Posts
    I44 WIP Update

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16447

PzKpfw V Ausf. G Panther (Late war)

M10 tank destroyer (Wolverine)

Aircraft improved effects

Working tailgunner for JU-87 :D

FW-190 Aircraft Effects testing

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    5,995 Posts
    I wish the damage model of fixed-wing aircraft was as sophisticated as the helicopters' (Which I also wish had more depth). Would it not be easy to simulate damage to and destruction of individual wings/winglets, engines and control surfaces?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #395
    July 2007
    3,332 Posts
    Yeah shame they never focussed on fixed wing combat, dont think arma3 is going that way either.

anyho, video of our last day on Operation Swinger, shame I had to leave early..
    No clue why we plan these things on sundays.

36. Post #396
    August 2011
    501 Posts
    Yeah shame they never focussed on fixed wing combat, dont think arma3 is going that way either.

anyho, video of our last day on Operation Swinger, shame I had to leave early..
    No clue why we plan these things on sundays.

Focussing on modern jets would be really hard to do satisfyingly. Most of the engagements between modern jets take place at more than 20 miles apart and it's usually a fight between sensors and missiles and less about skilful flying, like in WW2. And if the fight's between jets several generations apart it's basically a chicken shoot, especially if they use shock and awe tactics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #397
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,932 Posts
    i heard months back that arma 3 will use TOH flight model for helicopters is this true?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #398
    October 2010
    334 Posts
    i heard months back that arma 3 will use TOH flight model for helicopters is this true?
    Yeah it's true. In the campaign it'll use the normal flight model, but in everything else the TOH flight model will be used.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

39. Post #399
    Tiny Bat
    March 2011
    1,845 Posts
    I hope they'll either improv or simplify it in ArmA 3. I find TOH controls rather clunky even with a joystick, and it's rather annoying with clunky controls in a helicopter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

40. Post #400
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,677 Posts
    gonna have to try TOH sometime