1. Post #241

June 2011
    86 Posts
    Linux noob here. Only used Ubuntu. Wanting to get into Arch.
    I want it to look like this for extra nerd points. I understand Arch Linux doesn't have a window manager by default? How would I go about setting it up like this:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/r7ndyv.png
    I'm pretty sure that is awesome window manager.

http://awesome.naquadah.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #242
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    that is awesome but dwm is better so do that instead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #243
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,473 Posts
    Have fun with your super locked down environment.
    Lockdown? It has a lot of features.
    The only thing i can't find is virtual desktops, i am quite used to it in Ubuntu so i am a bit dissapointed.

Edited:

Oh and if somebody is used to KDE it would be great if you could give me some tips for making it look good.
    I love when my desktop is sorted and smexy

And i also just found out CTRL + F8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

4. Post #244
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,957 Posts
    Ubuntu 12.04 is looking to be pretty awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #245
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    that is awesome but dwm is better so do that instead
    dwm is not "better". It's "better" in the same way that I think that i3 is "better".
    This is the thing about Open Source software, it's all a matter of opinion. At least, for the most part.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

6. Post #246
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    The only thing i can't find is virtual desktops, i am quite used to it in Ubuntu so i am a bit dissapointed.

Edited:

Oh and if somebody is used to KDE it would be great if you could give me some tips for making it look good.
    I love when my desktop is sorted and smexy

And i also just found out CTRL + F8.
    let us do everything for you, just as simple as entering your password whenever you do anything!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #247
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,473 Posts
    let us do everything for you, just as simple as entering your password whenever you do anything!
    Don't be hatin'.
    It's general linux chat, i am allowed to ask questions. And it's better than starting a new thread.

8. Post #248
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    dwm is not "better". It's "better" in the same way that I think that i3 is "better".
    This is the thing about Open Source software, it's all a matter of opinion. At least, for the most part.
    opinions are great and all but I'm the only one allowed to have them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

9. Post #249
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    Ubuntu 12.04 is looking to be pretty awesome.
    Is the beta safe to use at the minute on a proper computer, or is it best just to wait a little bit?

10. Post #250
    September 2007
    16,957 Posts
    Is the beta safe to use at the minute on a proper computer, or is it best just to wait a little bit?
    Beta - Not alpha, but it ain't release either.
    TL;DR: Wait a month or however long it takes for them to release it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

11. Post #251
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    The virtual desktop switcher thing is usually there by default. Maybe not in Kubuntu.
    Anyway, just unlock widges, and open up the Configuration thing for your panel (Click the cashew on the panel), click Add Widget, and put a Pager on your panel.

You can also use the scroll wheel on the wallpaper to switch desktops.

Edited:

Beta - Not alpha, but it ain't release either.
    TL;DR: Wait a month or however long it takes for them to release it.
    In my experience Ubuntu has always been really buggy for the first couple weeks after release. But then again I stopped using it after 8.04 which I couldn't get to work on my pc at the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

12. Post #252
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    The virtual desktop switcher thing is usually there by default. Maybe not in Kubuntu.
    Anyway, just unlock widges, and open up the Configuration thing for your panel (Click the cashew on the panel), click Add Widget, and put a Pager on your panel.

Edited:

In my experience Ubuntu has always been really buggy for the first couple weeks after release. But then again I stopped using it after 8.04 which I couldn't get to work on my pc at the time.
    12.04 is an LTS and therefore should be pretty decent compared to the 'non LTS' releases. Most likely has quite a few bugs, but definitely not as many.

13. Post #253
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    12.04 is an LTS and therefore should be pretty decent compared to the 'non LTS' releases. Most likely has quite a few bugs, but definitely not as many.
    8.04 was LTS too. I had it installed, but I couldn't get it to boot up after the initial install.
    Granted it worked on another computer, just not the primary one I used.

14. Post #254
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    So my IT internship gave me a laptop to use and they said I could dual boot linux if I wanted. So I was going to download fedora than I saw that they offer the distro with different interfaces straight out of install, just thought that was really awesome. Props to fedora.

15. Post #255
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,473 Posts

I do not use a mouse, i use the touchpad on my laptop.
    I will test it out anyways witht he side of the touchpad.

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,297 Posts
    Is there a way to get multi-touch working? I've found the whole project that tries to enable that but no files/repositories containing any of the required driver stuff...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Is there a way to get multi-touch working? I've found the whole project that tries to enable that but no files/repositories containing any of the required driver stuff...
    Try Synaptic.

18. Post #258
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    For a touchpad? Yes.
    A couple years ago when I got my EeePC, I could do two finger scrolling on the touchpad.

Unless you're talking about Multi-pointer X (i.e. having multiple pointers on screen), then I don't know how to set that up.

19. Post #259
    Gold Member

August 2006
    771 Posts
    So i got Ubuntu on my laptop.

I have no password required to login to my administrator account but i need a password for everything "Authentication"...

Is there anyway to make it other way around, password to login but no authentication password?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

20. Post #260
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    So i got Ubuntu on my laptop.

I have no password required to login to my administrator account but i need a password for everything "Authentication"...

Is there anyway to make it other way around, password to login but no authentication password?
    That's insecure, so naturally Ubuntu doesn't want you doing it. I don't use Ubuntu so I'm not sure how it does things, but I would assume there is some sort of auto-login feature that you (or Ubuntu) has inadvertently enabled. Look in your system menu, disable it, then follow the steps presented here

Again, this is not the most secure setup, and malicious software (or even your own ignorance or carelessness) could seriously cripple your system. I myself have sudo configured not to prompt for a password, but I'm willing to take the risk for the minor convenience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #261
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,473 Posts
    I really enjoy using KDE.
    I would recommend it, even tho' i am not a Linux expert.

Edited:

I have 2 questions.
    When i switch workspace with KDE 4.8 my windows are still there.

Example: I have Facepunch open i browser, then i switch workspace but my browser is still there, just minimized.
    Can it be changed?

And is there a code for installing skype? Can't locate it anywhere. (terminal)

Edited:

Even tho' i recommend it i don't know everything about it.
    I am still fiddling with it a lot!

22. Post #262
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    Skype might not be in the repository, you might need to either add a PPA or get the deb from skype's site.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

23. Post #263
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,473 Posts
    There is no .deb from skype's site.
    The only 2 things i can choose from is "dynamic" or "static" actually.

I did it with my Ubuntu 11.10, worked smoothly.

24. Post #264
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    There is no .deb from skype's site.
    The only 2 things i can choose from is "dynamic" or "static" actually.

I did it with my Ubuntu 11.10, worked smoothly.
    There are. I have no idea what Skype site you're on, but the official site @ http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-sky...omputer/linux/ lists releases for Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian and OpenSUSE, plus the dynamic and static ones.

25. Post #265
    September 2007
    16,957 Posts
    2012, Year of the Linux on anything but the desktop?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #266
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    I've been learning Ruby for the past 3 days. Do you guys think it's a good replacement for bash scripting?

27. Post #267
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I've been learning Ruby for the past 3 days. Do you guys think it's a good replacement for bash scripting?
    no

28. Post #268
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    Could you elaborate as to why? And maybe give a suggestion.

29. Post #269
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,153 Posts
    Incoming shitstorm Arch users:
    Xorg 1.12 is in testing and is gonna be moved to extra very soon. God help you if you run fglrx.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #270
    November 2007
    43 Posts
    I'm attempting to install Arch Linux on my old desktop. I've hit a problem when installing packages. The installation window starts of fine with a stream of "downloading [filename]..." messages. Then;

error: segmentation fault
    Internal pacman error: Segmentation fault.

and 9 lines of;
    error: error writing to file '/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg/vi-1:050325-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz.part': Invalid argument.

I'm not sure what other relevant informations I should provide, request it and I'll edit it into the post. How would I go about making this not happen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #271
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Anybody know what wicd-client is using to display widgets?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #272
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    What do you mean by widgets?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

33. Post #273
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    wicd doesn't display widgets? Huh?

34. Post #274

May 2010
    157 Posts
    I'm having trouble with getting a network manager to work on openbox, I've tried nm-applet but even when I execute it via terminal I get errors, any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #275
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    No... Well it's kind of hard to troubleshoot a problem when you have to imagine the error messages.

36. Post #276
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    The each have their uses. For short little scripts I like to use Python, but I use Bash if I want to run like a sequence of shell commands.
    Basically I use Python for more programmy things, and Bash for shell stuff.

37. Post #277
    October 2011
    1,281 Posts
    The bios are outdated and discontinued and flat-out ignore anything but the hard drive.
    Its impossible to boot from anything and the only way i can install a OS is to do a hard drive swap.
    However I need to install on the native system or the OS wont be installed properly and I'll be right back to where I am now.

Catch 22
    Update!

Turns out my CD drive is broken, So now i'm going to try to boot off a thumb drive with a iso loaded using UNetbootin.

38. Post #278
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    The each have their uses. For short little scripts I like to use Python, but I use Bash if I want to run like a sequence of shell commands.
    Basically I use Python for more programmy things, and Bash for shell stuff.
    The one reason I want to keep away form bash is the horrid syntax. if statements are completely nonsensical. Every time I use one I have to double check to see what is the fucking hell !=, >, or < are.

From what I've seen from Ruby it seems like it will do the job. I want a language that will let me get things done quickly.

For example, a few weeks back I wrote a script to test the speed of drupal (opensource CMS). By test, of course, I mean spam the living shit out of it to see how well it would handle having 1000-2000 posts. I used bash and cURL. It worked pretty well, but bash always seemed to get in my way.

I think that ruby will work for me. I have a script that I need to do for work. I'll report on how well ruby did the job.

39. Post #279
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    The one reason I want to keep away form bash is the horrid syntax. if statements are completely nonsensical. Every time I use one I have to double check to see what is the fucking hell !=, >, or < are.

From what I've seen from Ruby it seems like it will do the job. I want a language that will let me get things done quickly.

For example, a few weeks back I wrote a script to test the speed of drupal (opensource CMS). By test, of course, I mean spam the living shit out of it to see how well it would handle having 1000-2000 posts. I used bash and cURL. It worked pretty well, but bash always seemed to get in my way.

I think that ruby will work for me. I have a script that I need to do for work. I'll report on how well ruby did the job.
    Yeah I'm not a fan of Bash syntax either.
    I think Perl works pretty well for doing stuff Bash is good at (running shell programs)

40. Post #280
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    if you really must have a bash replacement use either zsh or python. I think python would be better for you since you don't like bash's if statements and zsh uses the same syntax