1. Post #601
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    I don't see what the hate is about with GNOME 3...It's different, sure, but I think it's becoming for the better.
    what is the point a desktop if I can't place files/icons on the damn desktop?!?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #602
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,447 Posts
    what is the point a desktop if I can't place files/icons on the damn desktop?!?!
    You can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

3. Post #603
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    you must've jumped on the Ubuntu train when it was shipping with 3, anyone who has been using linux for longer than 3 has been out totally disagrees.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #604
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    188 Posts
    Wow, first i thought you were a douche.
    You seem like a cool guy, well when you don't call newbies dumbasses.

Thanks for your support!

Edited:

EMERGENCY!

So i installed Xubuntu on my moms netbook.
    Everything works but get this: "JAVA wont run in firefox, which makes it crash".

She needs java to go into her Bank account online.
    Now i wen't to Ubuntu Software Center - and downloaded java, it would still not work.

After some time it did work when i installed the "restricted areas" for Xubuntu.
    Found it on "LinuxQuestions" forum. Now it ran, but Firefox crashes when it launches the java applet.

I uninstalled Java completely, now it just says that java is not installed.

If any help, can you please just give me the terminal codes? I find them better than software center.

ALSO! I did:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    It just tells me that the packages does not exists?
    Need help badly, also soon as possible!

And the extras i talked about:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras
    To install sun-java you have to add the partner repository because it was removed from the official AFAIK.

You probably have to write something else than lucid in the first line. Write whatever the current Ubuntu codename is.
    Try this:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
    sudo update-alternatives --config java
    I found it here: http://www.clickonf5.org/7777/how-in...untu-1004-lts/

Otherwise you could try openjre. It is essentially Java except open. Don't know if it comes with a browser plug in though.

If everything fails you can take a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java and install it (sun-java and open) manually if you are up to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

5. Post #605
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Does anyone happen to know how can I enable fingerprint authentication on Debian? I have a ThinkPad T61 and I'd like to use the fingerprint scanner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

6. Post #606
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,253 Posts
    Does anyone happen to know how can I enable fingerprint authentication on Debian? I have a ThinkPad T61 and I'd like to use the fingerprint scanner.
    There is this however it has been dead for a while, no harm in giving it a try: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...kFinger#Debian
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #607
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,447 Posts
    To install sun-java you have to add the partner repository because it was removed from the official AFAIK.

You probably have to write something else than lucid in the first line. Write whatever the current Ubuntu codename is.
    Try this:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
    sudo update-alternatives --config java
    I found it here: http://www.clickonf5.org/7777/how-in...untu-1004-lts/

Otherwise you could try openjre. It is essentially Java except open. Don't know if it comes with a browser plug in though.

If everything fails you can take a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java and install it (sun-java and open) manually if you are up to it.
    q0q told me to try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install jre
    Will try your method if this wont work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

8. Post #608
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    It does. The package name is along the lines of icedtea-web.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

9. Post #609
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    I know this may sound dumb, but how can I run Chrome on debian?

Whatever I do, Chrome says it cannot run as root, even though I am not logged in as root.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Hungary Show Events

10. Post #610
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,991 Posts
    I know this may sound dumb, but how can I run Chrome on debian?

Whatever I do, Chrome says it cannot run as root, even though I am not logged in as root.
    What does "whoami" say?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events

11. Post #611
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    root, even though I logged in as my normal user right after boot.
    Is it because I (have to) start "startx" as superuser?
    I need to either log in as root or sudo startx, else it won't work.

12. Post #612
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,133 Posts
    root, even though I logged in as my normal user right after boot.
    Is it because I (have to) start "startx" as superuser?
    I need to either log in as root or sudo startx, else it won't work.
    what do you get when you try startx as a non-root user?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

13. Post #613
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,447 Posts
    Yay! Got tha Java to work.

However i did this:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
    I fell like some sort of pro right now
    Thank's to everyone who tried to help, i really love to see people that care!

14. Post #614
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    what do you get when you try startx as a non-root user?
    It says things about permissions twice (hangs for a minute), then black screen.

15. Post #615
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    It says things about permissions twice (hangs for a minute), then black screen.
    Try to run it as a regular user, then when it hangs up you can either Ctrl+C to end it or switch to another terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F3, F4, etc)).
    Then use these commands:
    Code:
    grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    This will show the Errors and Warnings for Xorg.
    Just post them here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #616
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Errors:
    Code:
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    (II) XKB: generating xkmfile /tmp/server-0F33A867BBA7BEEFA2B499C9B72D29A7C31D98DD.xkm
    Warnings:
    Code:
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
    (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
    (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
    (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
    (WW) intel(0): libpciaccess reported 0 rom size, guessing 64kB
    (WW) intel(0): Register 0x61200 (PP_STATUS) changed from 0xc0000008 to 0xd0000009
    (WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS before: on, ready, sequencing idle
    (WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS after: on, ready, sequencing on

17. Post #617
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Could someone explain to me how to get ERC & jabber.el working in my emacs? I would really appriciate it.

18. Post #618
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    you must've jumped on the Ubuntu train when it was shipping with 3, anyone who has been using linux for longer than 3 has been out totally disagrees.
    I don't use kiddy distros, this was on fedora 16 I can't just drag and drop icons to the desktop with gnome 3 without enabling failback mode
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #619
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    677 Posts
    Hello there, guys!

I need a little bit of help. I'm trying to install Arch Linux on a 2 GB USB flash drive. I've tried numerous tutorials, but they either don't work or it's too complicated for me.

Now, for your interest, I'm pretty much a Linux newbie. I've decided to jump on the Arch Train because from my past experiences, I learn more from more complicated things.

I've tried using Linux Live USB generator, but the problem is that I want my data to be persistent.

I'd also like to use Arch, because I enjoy switching over from console to GUI in a pinch, makes me feel a little more geeky than I am now :D

Now, for a few questions:
    Should I dump Arch and use another distro instead?
    What other ways do you recommend me to install Arch Linux or another distro on a USB stick?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

20. Post #620
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I don't use kiddy distros, this was on fedora 16 I can't just drag and drop icons to the desktop with gnome 3 without enabling failback mode
    Well then you're literally BEGGING for trouble.
    So your whining is moot.[SUB]
    (even though I DO hate Gnome 3 with a intensity that rivals 1 million supernovas)[/SUB]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #621
    October 2005
    7,133 Posts
    Ever thought to google 're-enabling desktop icons on gnome 3'?
    That's the wonderful thing about Linux, if you have a problem, there's either a solution to it or an alternative to what you're using.
    And fucks sake, 'kiddy distros'? Ubuntu's just as capable as any other distro, get over yourself.
    (And this is coming from an Arch user, fyi.)

Edited:

Hello there, guys!

I need a little bit of help. I'm trying to install Arch Linux on a 2 GB USB flash drive. I've tried numerous tutorials, but they either don't work or it's too complicated for me.

Now, for your interest, I'm pretty much a Linux newbie. I've decided to jump on the Arch Train because from my past experiences, I learn more from more complicated things.

I've tried using Linux Live USB generator, but the problem is that I want my data to be persistent.

I'd also like to use Arch, because I enjoy switching over from console to GUI in a pinch, makes me feel a little more geeky than I am now :D

Now, for a few questions:
    Should I dump Arch and use another distro instead?
    What other ways do you recommend me to install Arch Linux or another distro on a USB stick?
    You should be able to get away with installing it 'normally', using the regular Arch installer. Just make sure you set up your discs MANUALLY and use UUID, or else you'll run into problems on any machine that isn't set up like yours. And don't make a swap partition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #622
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    How is ubuntu even a kiddy distro? It's a great distro with amazing support, and excellent package manager. Yeah Unity isn't the greatest but you can literally use any other window manager on it. Most of the time you literally just have to find the package, install it, add it to your list of usable desktops (Can't remember the place off the top of my head) and you can choose whatever wm you want from login. I personally find that to be one of my favorite things about ubuntu right now.

23. Post #623
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,991 Posts
    Errors:
    Code:
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    (II) XKB: generating xkmfile /tmp/server-0F33A867BBA7BEEFA2B499C9B72D29A7C31D98DD.xkm
    Warnings:
    Code:
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
    (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
    (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
    (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
    (WW) intel(0): libpciaccess reported 0 rom size, guessing 64kB
    (WW) intel(0): Register 0x61200 (PP_STATUS) changed from 0xc0000008 to 0xd0000009
    (WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS before: on, ready, sequencing idle
    (WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS after: on, ready, sequencing on
    Can you post the full log and the output of "ls -lh .{X,x}*".

24. Post #624
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    677 Posts
    You should be able to get away with installing it 'normally', using the regular Arch installer. Just make sure you set up your discs MANUALLY and use UUID, or else you'll run into problems on any machine that isn't set up like yours. And don't make a swap partition.
    What would a standard partitioning look like? Like, the minimal amount of partitions needed and how much space should I leave for each?

25. Post #625
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    What would a standard partitioning look like? Like, the minimal amount of partitions needed and how much space should I leave for each?
    You should get a 100MB boot partition, however much RAM you have as a SWAP partition, and a root partition. You don't NEED a home partition, but it's reccommended. You can probably get away with 7,5/8G for the root partition, depending on how much shit you want to load up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #626
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    677 Posts
    You should get a 100MB boot partition, however much RAM you have as a SWAP partition, and a root partition. You don't NEED a home partition, but it's reccommended. You can probably get away with 7,5/8G for the root partition, depending on how much shit you want to load up.
    Thanks, much appreciated :)

27. Post #627
    October 2005
    7,133 Posts
    He's installing it to a flash drive...You really do NOT want SWAP on a flash drive, unless you wanna kill the fucker fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #628
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    677 Posts
    He's installing it to a flash drive...You really do NOT want SWAP on a flash drive, unless you wanna kill the fucker fast.
    Do not worry, Lyoko, I took your advice not to create a swap partition :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #629
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    xorg log: http://pastebin.com/DvSJGaUN
    ls -lh .{X,x}* output:
    Code:
    -rw------- 1 root root 107 2012-04-28 00:04 .Xauthority
    -rw------- 1 root root 21K 2012-04-28 00:04 .xsession-errors

30. Post #630
    September 2011
    5,263 Posts
    The mouse is rather choppy in movement on Ubuntu 12.04. Using the trackpad on this laptop is a flawless reaction (and possible over-reacts to typing), yet using a wireless USB Logitech M305 mouse is poking along. Well, not really slow, but the movement isn't fluid. Research isn't yielding any results. What is the problem and how do I fix it.

31. Post #631
    January 2012
    79 Posts
    I'm having some trouble getting steam to work under wine. It seems to crash as soon as it finishes logging in, after the "connecting to account" window closes.
    I'm using Arch.

32. Post #632
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    Ever thought to google 're-enabling desktop icons on gnome 3'?
    That's the wonderful thing about Linux, if you have a problem, there's either a solution to it or an alternative to what you're using.
    And fucks sake, 'kiddy distros'? Ubuntu's just as capable as any other distro, get over yourself.
    (And this is coming from an Arch user, fyi.)
    It was more or less to see how gnome 3 was seeing how centos/RH doesn't incorporate that, it sucked from the get go. Besides I would never deploy ubuntu in a production environment, that makes it a "kiddie" distro, Fedora/Centos/RHEL 6 sure I would feel fine deploying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #633
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,991 Posts
    xorg log: http://pastebin.com/DvSJGaUN
    ls -lh .{X,x}* output:
    Code:
    -rw------- 1 root root 107 2012-04-28 00:04 .Xauthority
    -rw------- 1 root root 21K 2012-04-28 00:04 .xsession-errors
    Delete those two files they try running startx without sudo.

34. Post #634
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I'm having some trouble getting steam to work under wine. It seems to crash as soon as it finishes logging in, after the "connecting to account" window closes.
    I'm using Arch.
    Try installing tahoma through winetricks.
    I don't know if this is still the case, but Steam would crash if you were missing that font.

Winetricks: http://code.google.com/p/winetricks/
    Once you download the script run:
    Code:
    sh winetricks tahoma
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

35. Post #635
    June 2009
    425 Posts
    Is it worth setting up a 8gb swap partition on a 1tb drive if I have 8gb of physical memory and probably won't go over 8gb used?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

36. Post #636
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    don't do 8 GB that's silly. do more like 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #637
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Is it worth setting up a 8gb swap partition on a 1tb drive if I have 8gb of physical memory and probably won't go over 8gb used?
    There's no way you could ever need that much.

38. Post #638
    June 2009
    425 Posts
    Wait so I will need that much? or was There's no way you could "n"ever need that much. a typo?

I think I might just put in a 8gb swap space since I have 700gb of free hardrive space on my other drives and I am popping in another 1tb drive just for linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

39. Post #639
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Wait so I will need that much? or was There's no way you could "n"ever need that much. a typo?

I think I might just put in a 8gb swap space since I have 700gb of free hardrive space on my other drives and I am popping in another 1tb drive just for linux.
    Fixed it. It's a waste of 6G of space, IMHO.
    Even if you have 1TB available, it's still good practice to save space where you can (I've filled up terabytes fast before, just being careless and never deleting shit)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

40. Post #640
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,374 Posts
    Is there a terminal program that lists the biggest files on your HDD?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events