1. Post #881
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Energy drinks and shitloads of caffeine, that'll do it.
    Not when your hands jitter so much you can't even type your root password.
    That means it's time for sleep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #882
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    no slitaz?

oh that's right, you learn from others, not experience
    Uhhh for one Slitaz is really obscure, and it's way overkill for any lightweight distro.

It might make sense if you're still using a 486, but anything made in the last 10 years will be able to run something like Debian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

3. Post #883
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,487 Posts
    Uhhh for one Slitaz is really obscure, and it's way overkill for any lightweight distro.

It might make sense if you're still using a 486, but anything made in the last 10 years will be able to run something like Debian.
    Debian is 100MB+ iirc.
    Slitaz is 35MB.
    It's not about whether if it can run it, it's about storage space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #884
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,155 Posts
    Tinycore?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #885
    July 2008
    3,487 Posts
    Installed openSuse to see my hardware compatiblity, going to install Arch in a bit.

6. Post #886
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Debian is 100MB+ iirc.
    Slitaz is 35MB.
    It's not about whether if it can run it, it's about storage space.
    What doesn't have 100mb of storage?
    A 486-era machine would probably have had at least a 4gb disk.

Storage is so cheap now that it doesn't matter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

7. Post #887
    July 2008
    3,487 Posts
    grrr
    Trying to install arch but I can't find a blank DVD anywhere.

8. Post #888
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 and I've read that 12.10 might be using Wayland instead of X. Any sources on this? And if it's true, do you guys think I'd still be able to run the Awesome WM when 12.10 is out?

grrr
    Trying to install arch but I can't find a blank DVD anywhere.
    Try unetbootin and just boot from a USB? You only require something like a 1GB USB to do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

9. Post #889

April 2012
    5 Posts
    I've got a blank cd finally, and I was wondering if anyone could help me install Arch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

10. Post #890
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,725 Posts
    I've got a blank cd finally, and I was wondering if anyone could help me install Arch.
    Sure, add me on steam or get into gmail chat with me (naelstrof@gmail.com); I'll help you out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #891

April 2012
    5 Posts
    Sure, add me on steam or get into gmail chat with me (naelstrof@gmail.com); I'll help you out.
    Thanks, I'll send you an email right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

12. Post #892
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    So back from the weekend. Installed Xubuntu 12.04 and when i boot my PC everything is screwed and nothing works.
    Wow, thanks god.

Back to Ubuntu 12.04, just installing a new DE.
    IT IS RUINING MY OCD.

___

Could somone tell me how to install java functional on Ubuntu 12.04? Last time i got it running was with Oracle-Java7.
    And when i closed Minecraft or anything else running Java it would give me black screen and after 5 minutes give me an error.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

13. Post #893
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    721 Posts
    So I am afraid to install arch next to windows 7 because I am afraid I will mess something up.

14. Post #894
    July 2008
    3,487 Posts
    So for Arch Linux what are the DE's/WM's everyone is using?
    I've heard the names Cinnamon and Awesome tossed around but I don't know if they are good.

15. Post #895
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Cinnamon is a shell for Gnome 3 developed by the Linux Mint team. You can find it on the AUR. Awesome is a lightweight window manager configured via Lua.

Personally, I use standard Gnome 3 or Openbox.

16. Post #896
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    I'm using awesome and it's working great right out of the box. The only issues I have are due to my own ignorance. I've not learned all of the default keybindings or capabilites and so at times I have to look things up but all in all it's pretty intuitive. Maybe someday I'll venture into making my own configuration...

Also, does anyone here play Warsow? I've just gotten into it and I could definitely use some practice. It's hard to get practice when I end up sitting out most of the rounds because I get fragged so early on

17. Post #897
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,027 Posts
    What doesn't have 100mb of storage?
    A 486-era machine would probably have had at least a 4gb disk.

Storage is so cheap now that it doesn't matter.
    486-era wasn't even close to that advanced, we're talking like 20mb hard drives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #898
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts

hey well someone said 'best' and 'lightweight' in the same sentence, that is my input

(that i can back with experience, not other's garbage recycled opinions)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

19. Post #899
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    BUMP.

Could somone tell me how to install java functional on Ubuntu 12.04? Last time i got it running was with Oracle-Java7.
    And when i closed Minecraft or anything else running Java it would give me black screen and after 5 minutes give me an error.

WITH EDIT:
    Does anybody know how to create a launcher for a application/software? In XFCE i just right clicked and choose: "add launcher". I am using Ubuntu 12.04, with GNOME CLASSIC.

20. Post #900

November 2010
    700 Posts
    Whats Arch's ram usage idle just looking at desktop screen? With ubuntu on my netbook im sitting at about 600mb.

21. Post #901
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    That's very much dependent on what you installed on top of arch. For example, if you installed Arch with KDE or GNOME and a bunch of services for all sorts of things, the system will run heavier than if you installed, lets say, Awesome WM and a few services.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #902
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    In this case, you should try Openbox/XFCE/LXDE/awesome. All of those lightweight window managers are pretty awesome (), but for me, openbox is my favorite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #903
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    Alright so i installed Icedtea and every Java thing works. But not Minecraft? When i close it = Black screen, some minutes after crash.

24. Post #904
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,005 Posts
    Alright so i installed Icedtea and every Java thing works. But not Minecraft? When i close it = Black screen, some minutes after crash.
    Have you tries using openjdk?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events

25. Post #905
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    From what I recall minecraft never goes too well with anything other than Oracle's JDK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #906
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,005 Posts
    From what I recall minecraft never goes too well with anything other than Oracle's JDK.
    I believe that's what notch says, but in my experience I've never gotten minecraft to run with anything but openjdk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #907
    September 2011
    5,337 Posts
    Does anybody know how to create a launcher for a application/software? In XFCE i just right clicked and choose: "add launcher". I am using Ubuntu 12.04, with GNOME CLASSIC.
    I believe you do the same thing with GNOME 2. At least, that's how I remember it, adding a shortcuts panel.

Anyone else tried the Guake Terminal? It's a must, if you're going to be fiddling with the terminal at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #908
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    Well i can make it run. Problem is that when i close it "crashes".
    But i still keep all my saves and so on.

29. Post #909
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    It works incredibly well running on my 2GB'o'RAM installation of Ubuntu 12.04, without any lag, and running my own Minecraft server. The server getting 256M of RAM and the client 512. Amazing.
    All of this, on the OpenJDK implementation.

30. Post #910
    July 2008
    3,487 Posts
    Hooray, installed Arch Linux and gnome.

Now to make it usable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #911
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    I have been trying to make my Xubuntu compatible with the fingerprint reader on my laptop, fprint worked really well, but when I tried making the OS itself use the fprint PAM module, I think I killed it.

The guide I used said to remove the 2 lines that was inserted during the installation of fprint and libraries and replace them with similar lines. I did that, now my laptop doesn't get to the login screen. It stalls at
    "mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth [OK]"

Could someone tell me if it's fixable without reinstalling it, or is it even possible to make fprint work with Xubuntu?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

32. Post #912
    July 2008
    3,487 Posts
    Trying out awesome, it's really weird but I feel like this going to be like Vim in that it's going to be really useful once I learn how to use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #913
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,393 Posts
    God damnit, lubuntu keeps freezing when I try to boot from a flash drive. I guess I'll burn a DVD and try that.

34. Post #914
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Trying out awesome, it's really weird but I feel like this going to be like Vim in that it's going to be really useful once I learn how to use it.
    If you don't mind it not being filled with flashy effects and all that, but just wants something that works and has a shitton of functionality, then yes, I'd say go with Awesome. And it is really useful, it's amazing.

35. Post #915
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    dynamic tiling window managers are the shit
    however scrotwm > awesome tbh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

36. Post #916
    July 2008
    3,487 Posts
    Awesome is awesome.
    Now I just need to figure out how to make system monitors and crap appear on my desktop (not the status bars) like I've seen in some pictures.

37. Post #917
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Awesome is awesome.
    Now I just need to figure out how to make system monitors and crap appear on my desktop (not the status bars) like I've seen in some pictures.
    It's called conky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

38. Post #918
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    But T3hGamerDK how did you get Orcale JDK running in Ubuntu then?

39. Post #919
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    But T3hGamerDK how did you get Orcale JDK running in Ubuntu then?
    I didn't?

All of this, on the OpenJDK implementation.

40. Post #920
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    I didn't?
    Oh my bad.
    __
    Going to try Fedora 17 with XFCE when the release is out. Looks cool. When summer vacation hits I am home alone for a week or so, when it hits I will go for Arch, so parents wont bug me.