1. Post #921
    March 2007
    1,936 Posts
    Hey guys.

I've been using Ubuntu lately for my college course because I'm programming for Algorithms and Data Structures (C) and I have an issue with my Asus Motherboard.

I have dual boot and every Asus motherboard now comes with the EPU aplication witch is a power saving/management program for the hardware in your computer.

Problem is when I'm on windows with EPU everything runs smoothly and my computer is the silent thing on earth.

When I'm in Ubuntu, since I don't have and can't find any Asus EPU for linux, the fan makes my PC sound like a hairdryer.

Does someone know about any EPU like program for my Ubuntu?

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events

2. Post #922
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,642 Posts
    What a coincidence, I currently have Algorithms and data structures too! in C# though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #923
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,381 Posts
    So, is arch infamous for it's difficulty to install? That's what I've sort of picked up from these posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #924
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    I have been trying to make my Xubuntu compatible with the fingerprint reader on my laptop, fprint worked really well, but when I tried making the OS itself use the fprint PAM module, I think I killed it.

The guide I used said to remove the 2 lines that was inserted during the installation of fprint and libraries and replace them with similar lines. I did that, now my laptop doesn't get to the login screen. It stalls at
    "mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth [OK]"

Could someone tell me if it's fixable without reinstalling it, or is it even possible to make fprint work with Xubuntu?
    Help it started spewing fire on me-

Need some help with this still.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

5. Post #925
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    So, is arch infamous for it's difficulty to install? That's what I've sort of picked up from these posts.
    No. Arch is generally very easy to install and even much easier to configure
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #926
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    677 Posts
    You can install and configure Arch within an hour or two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #927
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    You can install and configure Arch within an hour or two.
    If you know what you're doing, probably in less than half an hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #928
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Arch guides you through everything. Just keep the wiki up and open the on-disk instructions in another terminal if it's your first time. Between those you pretty much can't fail.

9. Post #929
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    677 Posts
    If you know what you're doing, probably in less than half an hour.
    But indeed, my good friend; I forgot to mention that I referred to first-time installing, going hand in hand with the Arch Wiki.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

10. Post #930
    September 2011
    5,314 Posts
    Anyone else heard of the Guake Terminal?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #931
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    Hey guys.

I've been using Ubuntu lately for my college course because I'm programming for Algorithms and Data Structures (C) and I have an issue with my Asus Motherboard.

I have dual boot and every Asus motherboard now comes with the EPU aplication witch is a power saving/management program for the hardware in your computer.

Problem is when I'm on windows with EPU everything runs smoothly and my computer is the silent thing on earth.

When I'm in Ubuntu, since I don't have and can't find any Asus EPU for linux, the fan makes my PC sound like a hairdryer.

Does someone know about any EPU like program for my Ubuntu?

Thanks!
    As far as I can see, there's no support for the EPU. There should be some power management tools in your repository though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

12. Post #932
    March 2007
    1,936 Posts
    I checked it out. Even got to that download manager thing Ubuntu has and I found nothing. I know I can configure my motherboard manually using the BIOS but I'm afraid I might do more harm than good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events

13. Post #933
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,470 Posts
    Back on Windows for gaming.
    When summer hits: ARCH!!!! WOOOOH!

Something I hate is that i installed 64 bit Windows 7, my computer runs it and all but it just seems quite slow. Maybe it's just all the installs i am running trough and downloads. It's like around 10-15 downloads at once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #934
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    For power management, there should be several programs out there such as gnome power manager or xfce4 power manager. As for the fan, I had a program called lm-sensors which could modify the fan speed depending on the temperature it reached so instead of it being on full blast all the time, it would have the fan being on only when it needed to be on. It does require initial monitoring of the temperature to set the fan to start at whatever temperature you're comfortable with.

15. Post #935
    Ask Rohan about rust keys!
    August 2011
    2,749 Posts
    Hello from Arch!

Finally got it working on this old laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #936

January 2010
    304 Posts
    I always wanted to try Arch.

Thanks for the new insite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux New Zealand Show Events

17. Post #937
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,455 Posts
    Got bored yesterday at work, so I worked on my Laptop running ubuntu 12.04 to make it look better.

Gnome-fallback + Awesome-WM

HOLYSHITIMINLOVE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Switzerland Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #938
    September 2011
    5,314 Posts
    Installing Oracle's Java. Why do the instructions keep telling me to do things to a *.BIN file when the download for the self-extracting file keeps showing up as a *.TAR.GZ without a single *.BIN file in it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

19. Post #939

January 2010
    304 Posts
    Should have *.sh files in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux New Zealand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #940
    September 2011
    5,314 Posts
    Should have *.sh files in it.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp?locale=en
    (Linux Self-Extracting File, 32-bit)

A *.TAR.GZ shows up, and the only *.SH scripts in there are in bin that handle the control panel. Anything involving help with that specific file deal with a *.BIN file. Converting the *.TAR.GZ to *.BIN doesn't help.

21. Post #941
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    It's a tarball, which is meant to be extracted, although there's nothing relevant in it. I'd say to check your repository (it should have it), it's a lot easier and will also let you avoid dependency issues in regards to programs that use java.

22. Post #942
    September 2011
    5,314 Posts
    It's a tarball, which is meant to be extracted, although there's nothing relevant in it. I'd say to check your repository (it should have it), it's a lot easier and will also let you avoid dependency issues in regards to programs that use java.
    I wouldn't be fiddling with Oracle's JRE if I could find it in the Ubuntu Software Center/Canonical repository. Just has the OpenJDK one, and I want to avoid that like the plague if it's possible. I know it's a tarball, too. Extracting it doesn't yield results, and the tarball has the exact same filename as instructions do, not the file type.

Ah, screw it, I'll pick OpenJDK.

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,759 Posts
    Got so pissed off at Windows Updates tuesday that I decided to plonk Linux Mint as a dual boot after a long absence.

24. Post #944
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,735 Posts
    Got so pissed off at Windows Updates tuesday that I decided to plonk Linux Mint as a dual boot after a long absence.
    You could just not update.

25. Post #945
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,759 Posts
    You could just not update.
    I turned my laptop off tuesday but apparently it decided to install a bunch of updates it had secretly downloaded.
    It took 20 minutes to finally shut down.

26. Post #946
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I turned my laptop off tuesday but apparently it decided to install a bunch of updates it had secretly downloaded.
    It took 20 minutes to finally shut down.
    Y'know, you can set it to only REMIND you of updates, and let you choose whenever to download or install them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #947
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,455 Posts
    Y'know, you can set it to only REMIND you of updates, and let you choose whenever to download or install them.
    or disable the update service, so you are 100% sure that you don't get any updates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #948
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,470 Posts
    Is fedora good/cool?
    (if so going for XFCE spin)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #949
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,153 Posts
    Its supposed to showcase the latest 'n greatest when it comes to FOSS stuff. Its rather strict about proprietary/non-free stuff, so if you depend on non-free drivers or software you might have problems.
    Its a pretty solid distro, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #950
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,759 Posts
    or disable the update service, so you are 100% sure that you don't get any updates.
    Which isn't the best of ideas.

It's now set to download automatically and install them when I tell it to. Still, never a bad time to install Linux for the one billionth time.

31. Post #951
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Since most updates are security one's, that's like shooting yourself in the foot with a double-barreled shotgun.
    I just wish the update manager in Windows wasn't like a nagging bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #952
    September 2011
    5,314 Posts
    The Linux updaters nag you lot more, telling you to update whenever there's an update to anything you got installed, and having lots of things installed, there's a pop-up every few minutes.

33. Post #953
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    The Linux updaters nag you lot more, telling you to update whenever there's an update to anything you got installed, and being having lots of things installed, there's a pop-up every few minutes.
    They don't try to force me to install updates while shutting down my laptop though.
    That's a BIG improvement.
    And that's why I've disabled hybrid sleep AND put my laptop in hibernate mode instead of shutting it down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #954
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,642 Posts
    I'm trying out Fedora 14 beta, because I'm curious as to what Fedora has done the past year.
    I still don't like GNome 3 that much, but holy shit this thing booted fast from my USB. It was done booting within like a minute. From a live USB stick!

Fuck this, I can't be bothered to download the XFCE version. Fedora 17 beta is my new USB repair disk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #955
    February 2008
    460 Posts
    I'm trying out Fedora 14 beta, because I'm curious as to what Fedora has done the past year.
    I still don't like GNome 3 that much, but holy shit this thing booted fast from my USB. It was done booting within like a minute. From a live USB stick!

Fuck this, I can't be bothered to download the XFCE version. Fedora 17 beta is my new USB repair disk.
    1. Fedora 14 Beta? I'm assuming that's a typo
    2. You can always install XFCE through Fedora's package manager; it's quite easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #956
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,470 Posts
    I love all of you in here. <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #957
    DefaultText.ini
    February 2011
    1,342 Posts
    Which of the four should I use for my netbook?
    -EasyPeasy
    -LinuxMint
    -Archbang
    -Ubuntu

For my desktop I am just using Ubuntu... I like it.

38. Post #958
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    I'm trying to get desura to work, but cef ends it with SIGILL. I tried to use desurium instead, but everytime I get to the point on compiling cef, I get this error:

Code:
    /bin/sh: line 1:  1932 Illegal instruction     "/home/lijnk/Sources/desurium/build/chromium-prefix/src/chromium/src/out/Release/genperf" "/home/lijnk/Sources/desurium/build/chromium-prefix/src/chromium/src/out/Release/obj/gen/third_party/yasm/x86insn_nasm.gperf" "/home/lijnk/Sources/desurium/build/chromium-prefix/src/chromium/src/out/Release/obj.host/geni/third_party/yasm/x86insn_nasm.c"
    make[3]: *** [out/Release/obj.host/geni/third_party/yasm/x86insn_nasm.c] Error 132
    make[2]: *** [cef-prefix/src/cef-stamp/cef-build_cef] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cef.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Is there a way to compile it without sse2/3 instructions?

39. Post #959
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I'm trying to get desura to work, but cef ends it with SIGILL. I tried to use desurium instead, but everytime I get to the point on compiling cef, I get this error:

Code:
    /bin/sh: line 1:  1932 Illegal instruction     "/home/lijnk/Sources/desurium/build/chromium-prefix/src/chromium/src/out/Release/genperf" "/home/lijnk/Sources/desurium/build/chromium-prefix/src/chromium/src/out/Release/obj/gen/third_party/yasm/x86insn_nasm.gperf" "/home/lijnk/Sources/desurium/build/chromium-prefix/src/chromium/src/out/Release/obj.host/geni/third_party/yasm/x86insn_nasm.c"
    make[3]: *** [out/Release/obj.host/geni/third_party/yasm/x86insn_nasm.c] Error 132
    make[2]: *** [cef-prefix/src/cef-stamp/cef-build_cef] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cef.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Is there a way to compile it without sse2/3 instructions?
    Strange. Compiled fine on my home computer. I hope you find a solution though :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events

40. Post #960
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Which of the four should I use for my netbook?
    -EasyPeasy
    -LinuxMint
    -Archbang
    -Ubuntu

For my desktop I am just using Ubuntu... I like it.
    Since you already have experience in Linux, i'd say to go for Arch (not just Archbang) and go nuts customizing it. It's really a lot of fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)