1. Post #1321
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    I found a security issue with my router and I also found out it runs linux, so I can just ssh into it and fix the issue. Only problem is I have no idea how to change a user's password without passwd.

Edited:

Also, commands like vi, uname, file, etc are not there...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

2. Post #1322
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,498 Posts
    Not at all in fact.

First of all he's running Archbang so apt-* won't do jack. Also, he's not able to log in. So logging in and then doing a system upgrade won't work too well.

I can see two possible problems. It's possible that you can't login because the password is wrong/corrupted/fucked in some way. Or you can log in but X crashed and the login manager shows up again.

What you should do, is press CTRL-ALT-F2 and try to log in as your normal user. If that works then it's probably the second problem. If it doesn't, log in as root (username: root, password: whatever you set it to). and run
    Code:
    passwd yourusernamegoeshere
    It will ask you for a new password. Once that done go back to the login manager ALT-F7 and try to login again.

If you managed to log in as a normal user in the previous step. Try running x from that console.
    Code:
    startx
    If it fails you can post your Xorg log file. It's located in /var/log/Xorg.0.log . You can use wgetpaste to make put text in a pastebin (pastebin.ca) and give us the URL.

wgetpaste is found in [community]
    Code:
    pacman -S wgetpaste
    See this is a respond that will something.
    Checking on it in around half an hour, I think I just typed my password wrong when I created it, it's a long and annoying one so.. Yea I'll check on it!

Edited:

Okay so I managed to log in "behind the screen" with my normal user. Do I need to do this every time?
    Also my notifications are a bit fucked too.
    http://db.tt/VurIOHKj

What now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

3. Post #1323
    July 2009
    1,016 Posts
    I just don't get it. I tried ubuntu for about 2 weeks and I can't stand it. I've had to research over and over again to do simple tasks and its obviously not for me. Yet reverting back to Windows is going to be impossible it seems. The drivers for my CD-drive can't be found anywhere, and my computer is incapable of booting from a USB. Am I stuck with this now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #1324
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,498 Posts
    I just don't get it. I tried ubuntu for about 2 weeks and I can't stand it. I've had to research over and over again to do simple tasks and its obviously not for me. Yet reverting back to Windows is going to be impossible it seems. The drivers for my CD-drive can't be found anywhere, and my computer is incapable of booting from a USB. Am I stuck with this now?
    Did you get some CD's with your windows? If you did you probably have a disc with some sort of label as: "application & support", your drivers should be located on it. Just put it in, go to computer and open. A folder named driver or something and install everything, then reboot.

And it takes time to learn Ubuntu, you should really give it a shot<3

Edited:

I can also give you some guidelines from a PM to learn you to do simple task and get it to look good at set it up for work etc. just PM me if you want it!

5. Post #1325
    July 2009
    1,016 Posts
    Thanks Moofy, I'm still trying but so many applications and what should be simple actions are taking me forever to learn, and then more often then not, not working!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

6. Post #1326
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I've switched to using KDE4. It's actually not all that bloated as it seems and I'm liking it so far (Grabbed just kdebase-kdestart from portage, so all the other extra stuff isn't there).

Something that's annoyed me is that when I open a terminal, I get put in ~/Documents instead of ~/. Where do I change this setting?
    Settings -> Configure Current Profile -> General Tab -> Initial Directory.

It's blank for me, which defaults to ~ apparently.

7. Post #1327
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    703 Posts
    Correct me if im wrong but I believe Archbang is based on Archlinux. There is a simple way to resetting the password. The file named shadow inside /etc/ (/etc/shadow/) contains the passwords of accounts on the system. Simply removing the password from the file will allow you to login to that account.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Password_Recovery <-- This article will tell you what you need to know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #1328
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,404 Posts
    My Ubuntu server claims that it's corrupted when I try to install it, I've tried multiple times. I just caved and installed standard Ubuntu...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #1329
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I've moved my backup system from full backups to an external hard drive, to incremental backups to an encrypted external hard drive.

It's kind of ironic considering I don't encrypt the source, so if anybody steals my computer they'll have a completely working system.

Now I have to worry about losing a backup key. I'm considering creating a GPG key and having a copy of the key encrypted, the storing that on on a flash drive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

10. Post #1330
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    How do I get easy access to the AUR. What program should I use? I would like to have a way similar to pacman. So I could just do command <program I want>.

11. Post #1331
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,020 Posts
    How do I get easy access to the AUR. What program should I use? I would like to have a way similar to pacman. So I could just do command <program I want>.
    Check out yaourt(my favorite) or packer.

They both follow the same syntax as pacman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #1332
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    And where can I find an XFCE theme that isn't butt ugly? I haven't seen any good ones so far, at least not on XFCE-look.org

13. Post #1333
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,020 Posts
    And where can I find an XFCE theme that isn't butt ugly? I haven't seen any good ones so far, at least not on XFCE-look.org
    xfce-theme-bluebird with faenza-icon-theme

both available on AUR
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #1334
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    xfce-theme-bluebird with faenza-icon-theme

both available on AUR
    Wooh! Thank you!

Edited:

Fuck you Arch! I did it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

15. Post #1335
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,498 Posts
    Thanks Moofy, I'm still trying but so many applications and what should be simple actions are taking me forever to learn, and then more often then not, not working!
    I will drop you a PM in a couple of hours.
    Just need a bath and some breakfast.

16. Post #1336
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    1,256 Posts
    Uh huh, my screen turns off after 1 minute idle. Power-saving shit is disabled in settings, but still - turns off. Ubuntu 12.04, KDE.

HALP.

Edited:

I'd like to remove power management shit at all, but I don't know what exactly to delete
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

17. Post #1337
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,498 Posts
    Uh huh, my screen turns off after 1 minute idle. Power-saving shit is disabled in settings, but still - turns off. Ubuntu 12.04, KDE.

HALP.

Edited:

I'd like to remove power management shit at all, but I don't know what exactly to delete
    Maybe it's not your power management?
    Pause screen possiblely?

18. Post #1338
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    1,256 Posts
    Maybe it's not your power management?
    Pause screen possiblely?
    what is this

19. Post #1339
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,498 Posts
    what is this
    A pause screen?
    It's like when you don't use your PC for a chosen amount of time it will hypernate or something.
    Maybe it's set to 1 minute by a mistake?

20. Post #1340
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    So it turns out backing up hundreds of gigabytes to an encrypted hard drive isn't a great idea. Back to unencryptedness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #1341
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    Hm, I've got a problem with steam.
    I installed steam to my wine drive, and symlinked steamapps. It's working fine on linux, but on windows it just shoots me the error "error: cannot load localization overlay".

I'd like to still be able to play games on windows because so far wine support hasn't been the greatest.

22. Post #1342
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    So it turns out backing up hundreds of gigabytes to an encrypted hard drive isn't a great idea. Back to unencryptedness.
    Not if you've forgotten how to read from it, no
    But why is it bad in your case?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

23. Post #1343
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    It was just too slow.

On topic though, let's say hypothetically on the one day you didn't have a system backup your main hard drive crashed and now you're on SystemRescueCD chrooted and backing up after fscking the partition. How would you test for disk errors?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

24. Post #1344
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    1,256 Posts
    A pause screen?
    It's like when you don't use your PC for a chosen amount of time it will hypernate or something.
    Maybe it's set to 1 minute by a mistake?
    Hm, well, I'll look into it... or install arch

25. Post #1345
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,498 Posts
    Hm, well, I'll look into it... or install arch
    Arch all the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

26. Post #1346
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Hours of live CDs, chrooting, my BIOS telling me to 'backup and replace' my current hard drive, I'm back to my system with a full backup.

Jwz was right, "The universe tends toward maximum irony."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

27. Post #1347
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    Hooray, my wireless chipset works out of the box on arch!

Also, how do you move partitions around?
    Reason is my partition layout is like so:
    sdb1: swap
    sdb2: opensuse
    sdb3: 'data' partition (which is redundant since I have a file server at my house)
    sdb4: arch

Now, I'd like to get rid of the data partition and move arch down to where it was so I can put an extended partition in sdb4 since I still have 500GB left on the hard drive, but I'm not sure how I can do that without fucking something up.

28. Post #1348
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,266 Posts
    Hooray, my wireless chipset works out of the box on arch!

Also, how do you move partitions around?
    Reason is my partition layout is like so:
    sdb1: swap
    sdb2: opensuse
    sdb3: 'data' partition (which is redundant since I have a file server at my house)
    sdb4: arch

Now, I'd like to get rid of the data partition and move arch down to where it was so I can put an extended partition in sdb4 since I still have 500GB left on the hard drive, but I'm not sure how I can do that without fucking something up.
    Download and boot into this: http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
    It should be pretty self-explanatory once you've boot into it but if you still need help feel free to ask.

29. Post #1349
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,087 Posts
    you can try fdisk or parted, but depending on how you set up your OSes it might fuck them up a little bit

check and make sure that /etc/fstab in arch (im not sure about opensuse) references the disks by UUID or label, and not by the device
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #1350
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    you can try fdisk or parted, but depending on how you set up your OSes it might fuck them up a little bit

check and make sure that /etc/fstab in arch (im not sure about opensuse) references the disks by UUID or label, and not by the device
    I don't really care about opensuse, I'm going to replace it soon anyway.

Will set up labels for arch though now.

31. Post #1351
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Download and boot into this: http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
    It should be pretty self-explanatory once you've boot into it but if you still need help feel free to ask.
    I'd go with this. I always (ALWAYS) use PartedMagic for partition resizing, since it's small and easy, and works with WiFi and ethernet so I can surf while it's resizing and moving my shit around (that can easily take 1-2 hours or more)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

32. Post #1352
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    I'd go with this. I always (ALWAYS) use PartedMagic for partition resizing, since it's small and easy, and works with WiFi and ethernet so I can surf while it's resizing and moving my shit around (that can easily take 1-2 hours or more)
    That is what I'm about to use, just need to wait for the ISO to finish downloading and go find a blank dvd.

Edited:

Oh woops problem.

I'm in partition magic, but the problem is I'm moving the partition that grub is installed to, so grub isn't going to work now.

I've installed it into the MBR, anyway to change where it looks for it's files from within this live cd?

Edited:

Huh, that's odd.

In partition magic it says my arch partition is still sdb4, even though I deleted sdb3.

How can I change that, I need to make an extended partition in that place. (Or can I make a extended in sdb3?)

33. Post #1353
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    Well I installed backtrack but I forgot to deselect installing grub so now I have to install it again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1354
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    Forgot my root password and I've been meaning to clean up my installation anyway, so I just decided to reinstall arch

35. Post #1355
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Pfsense has to be the hardest shit ever to install on this hacom router, thing won't accept a usb or a usb cd drive and it has no cd drive and it uses IDE. Curse you repurposed routers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #1356
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Forgot my root password and I've been meaning to clean up my installation anyway, so I just decided to reinstall arch
    I find myself reinstalling Arch frequently. If it isn't one problem, it's another. I'm getting the hang of it though. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1357
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    I find myself reinstalling Arch frequently. If it isn't one problem, it's another. I'm getting the hang of it though. :)
    I just get fed up with all of the extraneous packages I don't even remember installing. This time around I partitioned a separate /home so that I don't have to shuffle any of my files over onto a flashdrive before a reinstall (if god forbid I ever reinstall again). I honestly can't bring myself to install X on this one... but then again there are times when it's nice to be able to issue "startx" and then use a few graphical applications and then bail out back to my virtual console. I feel like I can just use the console if I force myself to, namely by not even installing X or any DE/WM at all.
    Let's see how long this lasts

Edited:

speaking of which, does anyone have a recommendation for a text-only web browser? I was using w3m but that's in the AUR if I remember and I also like to avoid yaourt or building myself.

Edited:

actually it's in extra, but I would really like some input if there are better options.

38. Post #1358
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts

so let's say your system backup failed as went to update it and the hard drive permanantly kicked the bucket midway through and rsync deleted your past 5 years of photography and now you're in bed kind of in a mix between running photorec and wanting to cry yourself to sleep. what would you do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #1359
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,758 Posts
    Cut the losses and learn from my mistake.
    Then make up for the 5 years of lost photos by running around for 5 minutes with a video camera.

40. Post #1360
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    haha. i also lost all of my music, programming projects, passwords and pretty much anything important.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)