1. Post #1561
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,412 Posts
    I just wanted to clarify something about this path.

~ means your home folder. In your case it's /home/matthew/ The path your provided would put you in /home/matthew/matthew/.conky_start.sh Which is obviously problematic. ~/.conky_start.sh would be the right path
    Yea i knew that, I just first spotted my own mistake now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

2. Post #1562
    January 2012
    79 Posts
    Like I said before Its probably a thing with your display drivers.

If you tell us what your GPU is we might be able to help. Also, did you install any drivers?

I looked on the arch wiki and I didn't see instructions saying to put lxde in the daemons array in rc.conf. Where did you get that from?

Also, did you install a login manager? If so which one?
    I have an AMD Radeon HD 6950 reference card with 6970 BIOS to unlock the shaders that they limited within the 6950 BIOS, I have used both the fx86-video-ati drivers as well as the proprietary catalyst drivers from the AMD website. LXDE itself is not in my daemons array in rc.conf, but the display manager LXDM is, which also serves as a login manager.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1563
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,412 Posts
    Is everything like installable trough wine? (Windows programs).
    Such as Adobe products or MAYA 2012.

Examples, I dont use MAYA.

4. Post #1564
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,641 Posts
    Is everything like installable trough wine? (Windows programs).
    Such as Adobe products or MAYA 2012.

Examples, I dont use MAYA.
    I know you like posting questions here because you get answers quick, but lots of questions you ask can very easily be found out with the slightest bit of research. You might learn that way a little better as well.

To answer your question: No, wine can install/run a lot of windows programs, but not everything.

You can check if something runs well in winehq's appdb here: http://appdb.winehq.org/

5. Post #1565
    awh
    September 2011
    64 Posts
    Don't know if I'm just being stupid or not here, but is there any way in Xfce to remove window
    decorations in certain applications that don't do it automatically (i.e. Firefox)?
    Chrome seemed to do it pretty well, replacing the standard buttons with its own skinned ones, so it has to be possible.

What I mean:

Firefox:

Chrome:

I know you can set up KB shortcuts to a shell script that does it all for you, but I don't really think that's all worth the hassle when I'm going to be switching between Firefox and other apps a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #1566
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,412 Posts
    I know you like posting questions here because you get answers quick, but lots of questions you ask can very easily be found out with the slightest bit of research. You might learn that way a little better as well.

To answer your question: No, wine can install/run a lot of windows programs, but not everything.

You can check if something runs well in winehq's appdb here: http://appdb.winehq.org/
    Oh wait, i ment like installing the programs themselves, because i see they get rating and all.
    If i can find the program on the AppDB can i install it with wine? Because the version of the program dosen't matter or does it?

Let's say Adobe Photoshop CS5. So is it like that CS4 is supported but not CS5, or is it not at all like that?

Also my conky gives me this, there is the default background behind it, it only does this to some conky configs, i don't know what to edit and after research people say that it is the own_window, but no matter what it wont fix?

7. Post #1567
    July 2009
    1,261 Posts
    Lets take Photoshop for example. If you search for photoshop, you'll land of this page.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

Now if you look at CS5 and CS4 you can see that CS5 is rated gold while CS4 is rated garbage. So the version does matter (to a point).

Just because you can find an app on the appdb doesn't mean that it will automatically run or install.
    Let's look at the page for CS5: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=20158

We can see in the tests results page what works and what doesn't work.
    What works
    Nearly everything

What does not
    - Installer (copied Install from Win7)
    - Bridge and extra stuff like that (not required for working with PS itself)

What was not tested
    - All Filters (only a few but those worked fine, so I guess the rest does so, too)
    - Exports
    - Imports
    - Scripts
    - Activation using AAM (was already activated in Win7)

Additional Comments
    Copied all files and registry entries from Windows 7.

GUI has some problems with updating. You have to click in the image editor to update the view (for example if you resize something, the result will only show after you clicked somewhere on the image).
    You can see that it doesn't install. The guy had to copy the entire install from a Windows 7 box.

If you look at the test results table, you'll see that there are tests for different wine versions. So wine versions also matter.

More often than not, newer versions of wine work better than older versions of wine. There are times where wine updates will break something and a piece of software will stop running.

Also, you can see which distros the tests were done on. Most times this is not a big deal. (If it runs on ubuntu it'll probably run on Arch, etc.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #1568
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    cs5 works kinda ok but CS2 works better in wine than it does natively on windows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1569
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,412 Posts
    Lets take Photoshop for example. If you search for photoshop, you'll land of this page.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

Now if you look at CS5 and CS4 you can see that CS5 is rated gold while CS4 is rated garbage. So the version does matter (to a point).

Just because you can find an app on the appdb doesn't mean that it will automatically run or install.
    Let's look at the page for CS5: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=20158

We can see in the tests results page what works and what doesn't work.

You can see that it doesn't install. The guy had to copy the entire install from a Windows 7 box.

If you look at the test results table, you'll see that there are tests for different wine versions. So wine versions also matter.

More often than not, newer versions of wine work better than older versions of wine. There are times where wine updates will break something and a piece of software will stop running.

Also, you can see which distros the tests were done on. Most times this is not a big deal. (If it runs on ubuntu it'll probably run on Arch, etc.)
    Aaaaah, that cleared everything up!
    Thanks.<3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #1570
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    Something to note about wine's appdb, if the game or application is rated as bronze or silver, read the review still because I've encountered a few which were marked bronze because you needed to switch a couple registry keys to make it work like platinum (some people can't rate things properly).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

11. Post #1571
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    I think I am a bit addicted to Linux.

Because everytime I use Windows and check the Arch Linux website to see any upgraded packages, I open up the command prompt and type in "sudo pacman -Syu". :L
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #1572
    It never was applejuice
    June 2008
    767 Posts
    Is there an installation guide for Crunchbang 10.1? I've previously used Ubuntu before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Philippines Show Events

13. Post #1573
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    have you tried it? there's hardly anything to it at all.

14. Post #1574
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    i need to clarify this,

if in red hat enterprise linux 5, i create a .sh script, and i start off with #!/bin/bash, this means if i attempt to perform Setuid on it, the operation will be ignored as #!/bin/bash ignores Seruid?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

15. Post #1575
    January 2012
    79 Posts
    I'm still having some problems with LXDE. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

16. Post #1576
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,412 Posts
    Is there an installation guide for Crunchbang 10.1? I've previously used Ubuntu before.
    It's pretty simple, make it bootable via. a CD or USB and the follow on-screen instructions.

Edited:

But I probably suck more at Linux thank you so maybe i shouldn't talk here

17. Post #1577
    I am no one's bitch now! AHAHA!
    October 2008
    4,053 Posts
    What are some good linux games to play? (they must be free of course).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

18. Post #1578
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,641 Posts
    What are some good linux games to play? (they must be free of course).
    i thought warsow was nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #1579
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,420 Posts
    HP Customer Service representative posted:
    Dear Stephen,

Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Store.

I understand that you are interested in our g7t-1300 and would like to know if you can get it without the operating system so that you can install Linux in it. I thank you for considering our product.

Honestly, you have a very noble request. I also do that sometimes. However, we have a noble mission as well to provide our customers with a machine that can be used out of the box. I'm sorry to say that all our computers are preloaded with a Windows 7 operating system.

I wish that we can grant your request, but we our ordering system doesn't allow it. I hope you will understand.
    :(

She was sweet though.

Are there any other retailers which would make it conceivable to buy a mid- to low-end laptop with Linux or no OS installed? Dell also does their "Customize" option which makes me hopeful, though again, I may have to chat with a representative for this to work, which I don't mind. Windows is hardly a necessity, in fact it doesn't even work on my school WiFi network.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #1580
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    :(

She was sweet though.

Are there any other retailers which would make it conceivable to buy a mid- to low-end laptop with Linux or no OS installed? Dell also does their "Customize" option which makes me hopeful, though again, I may have to chat with a representative for this to work, which I don't mind. Windows is hardly a necessity, in fact it doesn't even work on my school WiFi network.
    Sometimes the windows license can be used on another machine.
    So If you're lucky you could just sell your license key.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

21. Post #1581
    November 2007
    11,420 Posts
    Oh fuggit. All Dell's laptops look like grandma laptops, unless I go to the $1000+ range.

I might get HP or summat Windows or no Windows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

22. Post #1582
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,412 Posts
    Linux has been so fun, it got me all distracted that I actually forgot about my studying on PHP.
    Need to get back into web development again, oh god why have I forgotten so many tags!

23. Post #1583
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    Maybe I should write a package manager and make my own source-based distro.

Shouldn't be to hard, right? Right? RIGHT?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

24. Post #1584
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Oh fuggit. All Dell's laptops look like grandma laptops, unless I go to the $1000+ range.

I might get HP or summat Windows or no Windows.
    Trust me, you should only go for top-of-the-line HP laptops, the rest have questionable-at-best build quality.
    Personal experience I'm afraid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1585
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Get a Macbook if you want a laptop that isn't a steaming pile of plastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #1586
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Get a Macbook if you want a laptop that isn't a steaming pile of plastic.
    Ohh a steaming pile of EXPENSIVE metal is SOOOO much better

Grab a Asus, but watch out for Monday models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #1587
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Maybe I should write a package manager and make my own source-based distro.

Shouldn't be to hard, right? Right? RIGHT?
    With a good bit of knowledge, and you being the only person using it, no, it's not too bad.
    If you want ANYONE else to be using it, it's going to get a little more difficult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

28. Post #1588
    January 2012
    79 Posts
    Okay I got it figured out. I just wasn't looking hard enough on the Arch wiki.

29. Post #1589
    November 2007
    11,420 Posts
    Ohh a steaming pile of EXPENSIVE metal is SOOOO much better

Grab a Asus, but watch out for Monday models.
    I had an ASUS but I gave it to my sister because she was alone in college with no computer.

All I'll be using it for is Internet and documents, I have my gaming PC at home. So I'll just look for Intel HD graphics and if I feel like spending extra on anything I'll try to find a bigger screen or summat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

30. Post #1590
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    Would anyone be interested in a tron clone for linux command line? I'm working on one right now and if you guys were I would love some input on the design
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1591
    November 2007
    11,420 Posts
    I effing wish that every online laptop store had an option to sort by resolution rather than screen size.

You know they only do it that way because Grandpa better understands it. I don't give a fuck about the size, I want my 1600x900.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1592
    January 2012
    79 Posts
    Nevermind, I can add nomodeset to the end of my kernel boot options, but my screen resolution is a bit whack. Also, I herped the derp earlier, I confused my desktop with my laptop, this thing is using an AMD A4-3305 APU.

33. Post #1593
    Dennab
    May 2012
    990 Posts
    What is the best Linux distro for a Netbook such as my Aspire One D225? I've looked at jolicraft, netbook ubuntu, linux mint etc. but I don't know which one is best for me. Each has their differences but what I mainly want is something that's not too simplistic or tacky that runs well on a netbook. I've used linux before but it's always crashed on me on my old PC so I'm not a first time user.

34. Post #1594
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Well, I've used everything from Ubuntu's Unity to a terminal window on my netbook, and I have to say that my favorite is Crunchbang/Archbang's Openbox setup. Although, my favorite for regular large laptops and desktops is Cinnamon. It's just so nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #1595
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    What is the best Linux distro for a Netbook such as my Aspire One D225?
    CrunchBang Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events

36. Post #1596
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I don't give a fuck about the size, I want my 1600x900.
    Want my HP? 17 inchers and at that resolution.

Though it constantly feels like it's gonna fall apart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

37. Post #1597
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Well, I've used everything from Ubuntu's Unity to a terminal window on my netbook, and I have to say that my favorite is Crunchbang/Archbang's Openbox setup. Although, my favorite for regular large laptops and desktops is Cinnamon. It's just so nice.
    i caved and just installed Ubuntu on my new laptop, i love how Unity looks but after a week i'm already starting to miss the menial, bare-bones feeling of arch that made me enjoy linux in the first place :(

will probably install ArchBang after reading this post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

38. Post #1598
    It never was applejuice
    June 2008
    767 Posts
    Installed Crunchbang. Now to install Wine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Philippines Show Events

39. Post #1599
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    207 Posts
    If I would like to create a virtual computer on my Windows partition (so installing a Linux virtual PC while running Windows) what would the best software be? VMWare? Or what's on the market?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

40. Post #1600
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    4,984 Posts
    If I would like to create a virtual computer on my Windows partition (so installing a Linux virtual PC while running Windows) what would the best software be? VMWare? Or what's on the market?
    Virtualbox, or VMware player.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events