1. Post #2081
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    763 Posts
    So like I'm pretty noob when it comes to anything Linux so I got a raspberry pi to try and help me get into using Linux.

I just got my wireless dongle working on it for the first time after a good 4 hours of figuring out how to compile the driver and crap for it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2082
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,780 Posts
    I might sound very stupid for what I'm about to ask, but I want to run some Linux apps on my Windows installation. I don't want to run a full-fledged virtual machine on my computer nor do I want to dual-boot, but yeah - I would really enjoy having some of my old Linux apps on Windows. Is there something similar to andLinux that's free, or some other way I can run Linux stuff on Windows easily?

In all honesty, I wish I could go all-out Linux but I want Steam and I need the Adobe suite and my music software.

EDIT: The problem I have with virtual machines is I feel kind of one-way or the other, never really in between. I'm either all Windows or all Linux partially because of the awkward integration. I've never tried virtualizing on Linux but from what I've read it's hard to utilize your computer enough to really accomplish any good gaming, video editing, or music production. Oh, and WINE was very, very hacky for me.

EDIT 2: Oh, and I have a 64-bit computer which rules out andLinux and coLinux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #2083
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,374 Posts
    Maybe cygwin?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #2084
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    Maybe cygwin?
    Not at all. Cygwin is an *NIX compatibility interface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

5. Post #2085
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,190 Posts
    Best would be to setup a Linux system in a VM, and ssh onto it.

(If you don't need to use X11)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

6. Post #2086
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    In all honesty, I wish I could go all-out Linux but I want Steam and I need the Adobe suite and my music software.
    At least Photoshop seems to have Gold rating in WineHQ which means nigh-perfect functioning. On recent computers, Steam games should also run just fine, not to even mention Steam is currently being developed for Linux (And L4D2 already runs on it! Not released yet, though, obviously.)

On the matter of music software, I take it you mean music producing software? Iunno how well those'd work.

Edited:

Best would be to setup a Linux system in a VM, and ssh onto it.

(If you don't need to use X11)
    Even if you need X11, actually. Run a Windows X server (XMing or something) and X forward from the VM. There won't be any network latency so it shouldn't be too bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #2087
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,484 Posts
    Doesn't VMWare have a unity type thing where it puts the windows from a VM onto your desktop?

I'm back from vacation now so I'm going to work more on my distro (but first I need to build a new computer)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

8. Post #2088
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    What's the best option to learn Linux things with? it says Ubuntu is user-friendly but it's still difficult to me. but I've learned alot since yesterday so I'm on the way

And why Arch? Is it better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Sweden Show Events

9. Post #2089
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,121 Posts
    What's the best option to learn Linux things with? it says Ubuntu is user-friendly but it's still difficult to me. but I've learned alot since yesterday so I'm on the way

Arch is probably a good stepping stone into learning more about the internals of Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2090
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts

I've yet to use Ubuntu, so I couldn't tell you whether it is "better" or not, and this is assuming we could even agree on a definition for "better"... You might look here for a few general disparities, but it might be a good experience to try both, and then just use whatever you are most comfortable with. The way I picture the differences is that Arch is a foundation upon which you can build whatever userland you choose, whereas Ubuntu is more like Windows or MacOSX where you get a decent desktop that is general enough for most people to use (if you design it so an idiot can use it, only an idiot will want to; you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time; etc. etc.) but if you really want to customize, it will take more work than just starting out with nothing and building your ideal system. In fact, to learn more about GNU/Linux (as in the kernel and basic facilites for interfacing with it) a terminal is all you need/want, as a desktop just abstracts you away from the actual details of the system. As I said, all of this is based upon literally no experience with Ubuntu, but you asked for an opinion .

P.S. The arch thing was just a horribly played out thread joke (read the thread title).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #2091
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    So like I'm pretty noob when it comes to anything Linux so I got a raspberry pi to try and help me get into using Linux.

I just got my wireless dongle working on it for the first time after a good 4 hours of figuring out how to compile the driver and crap for it.

RTL8188CUS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

12. Post #2092
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    763 Posts
    RTL8188CUS?
    Yeah, the dongle I use uses that driver.

13. Post #2093
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Yeah, the dongle I use uses that driver.
    Eh. Which guide and OS did you use? I've yet to get mine to work.

14. Post #2094
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    763 Posts
    http://blog.thegiblins.com/2012/07/a...relss-usb.html

Most of my time spent getting my wireless working was looking for a guide that was correct.

This was the only one I could get to work.

15. Post #2095
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,743 Posts
    I was searching programs for windows that let you read/write to ext partitions and one of the results was to run ubuntu server in a vm and use samba.

Just ended up using Ext2Fsd, too lazy to reformat the hd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #2096
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    Just received my new laptop hard-drive and I burned a new Arch iso, when I get a chance to install I'll finally be able to ditch windows 7 in favor of linux for day to day stuff. I'm not going to mess with the windows drive but I'm just going to change the boot order and forget it exists (until I'm absolutely required to use windows for some obscene reason).

17. Post #2097
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Spent the last 2 days struggling to get a MN-WD552B dongle to work. Fail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #2098
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    Spent the last 2 days struggling to get a MN-WD552B dongle to work. Fail.
    I still need to get a dongle
    Is MN-WD552B a bad choice on the Pi?

19. Post #2099
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    763 Posts
    I still need to get a dongle
    Is MN-WD552B a bad choice on the Pi?
    I really recommend EDIMAX EW-7811Un

Been working great for me thus far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #2100
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I've been looking around the web for a great Linux server OS. I'm looking for something somewhat less "stable" than debian, and using around the 3.4 or newer kernel. Something with up to date packages, but still cutting it for server usage.
    I'm running a test server and the following distributions have NOT pleased me:
    CentOS (too outdated)
    Scientific Linux (too outdated)
    Debian stable (too outdated)
    Ubuntu Server (too slow, yes, really)
    Sabayon 9 ServerBase Amd64 (Uh.. I never actually got around to installing it. Its just stuck after typing in "installer". Nothing happens it seems)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

21. Post #2101
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,988 Posts
    Why not use Debian testing?

Hmm, even unstable is only on 3.2.x. Is there anything special you need in 3.4?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events

22. Post #2102
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    ...Debian testing?

Edited:

:ninja:

Edited:

This. As far as I know, Debian backports security bugfixes etc. into their kernels from upstream.

23. Post #2103
    May 2010
    5,190 Posts
    I've been looking around the web for a great Linux server OS. I'm looking for something somewhat less "stable" than debian, and using around the 3.4 or newer kernel. Something with up to date packages, but still cutting it for server usage.
    I'm running a test server and the following distributions have NOT pleased me:
    CentOS (too outdated)
    Scientific Linux (too outdated)
    Debian stable (too outdated)
    Ubuntu Server (too slow, yes, really)
    Sabayon 9 ServerBase Amd64 (Uh.. I never actually got around to installing it. Its just stuck after typing in "installer". Nothing happens it seems)
    How about Arch? Its rather stable, for being bleeding edge.

or gentoo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2104
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    ...Debian testing?

Edited:

:ninja:

Edited:

This. As far as I know, Debian backports security bugfixes etc. into their kernels from upstream.
    I have considered Debian testing. Is it light on resources too? And I'm talking mean as fuck light on resources.

How about Arch? Its rather stable, for being bleeding edge.

or gentoo
    I'm running the server in a virtual qemu-kvm guest, my host is actually running Gentoo :)

Edited:

Why not use Debian testing?

Considering the backport of fixes and stuff, it might do. Because those were what I was after.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #2105
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    Basically if a distro is not rolling-release and uses an old kernel you can assume most fixes are being backported.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #2106
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,819 Posts
    Still can't decide on a distro for my laptop, mostly because I'm not actually sure of what I want.
    The worst thing being, on all the distro's I've tested, the mouse buttons on my touchpad just randomly die, and I have to reboot, and that's just really annoying.

Not to mention I've sort of gotten used to all the extra functionality that the mouse drivers have on Windows.

27. Post #2107
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    Still can't decide on a distro for my laptop, mostly because I'm not actually sure of what I want.
    The worst thing being, on all the distro's I've tested, the mouse buttons on my touchpad just randomly die, and I have to reboot, and that's just really annoying.

Not to mention I've sort of gotten used to all the extra functionality that the mouse drivers have on Windows.
    Everytime I start my computer I need to login and than logout and login again so my mouse works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #2108
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    Everytime I start my computer I need to login and than logout and login again so my mouse works
    The only problem I've had with my laptop so far is that netcfg leaves a temporary lease file in /var/lib/dhcpcd and I have to delete it to get wireless up. More of an inconveniece than anything, though.

29. Post #2109
    May 2010
    5,190 Posts
    Do you have a Caborg R.A.T mouse?

I have a RAT3, and this happens to me aswell.

This is because the mouse has a special key, wich gets toggled on the first start of Xorg, and blocks all the other keys.

after quitting Xorg and restarting it, the problem is solved until the next restart.

you have to mess around in the xorg.conf to disable the special keys.

30. Post #2110
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I'm running the server in a virtual qemu-kvm guest, my host is actually running Gentoo :)
    So why do you care if the server is stable if the host isn't?

31. Post #2111
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,097 Posts
    So with Valve pressuring AMD and nVidia to make better drivers for Linux and Gabe encouraging devs to make Linux ports (going as far to say that he wants to make it as easy as possible to run all 2500 games on Steam on Linux), do you think this will make using Wine and the few native Linux ports as viable alternative to Windows?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #2112
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    So why do you care if the server is stable if the host isn't?
    Because I know Gentoo, and I can easily fix it, whereas that might not be the case for the server distro, since it's probably not going to be Gentoo (in the first round)

Edited:

So with Valve pressuring AMD and nVidia to make better drivers for Linux and Gabe encouraging devs to make Linux ports (going as far to say that he wants to make it as easy as possible to run all 2500 games on Steam on Linux), do you think this will make using Wine and the few native Linux ports as viable alternative to Windows?
    I sure hope that this will be the case. And with valve saying they want to make it as easy as possible to run all the games from Steam on Linux, there's no other way around as far as I can tell.

33. Post #2113
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,097 Posts
    yeah they make it sounds like using Wine for games that don't get ported (despite them going to be strong encouraging Linux ports) will be easy to run under Wine and viable

I mean Wine is pretty impressive at it's current state, just imagine using it with better video drivers and possibly more development of Wine

34. Post #2114
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,819 Posts
    The one problem I can see happening with the whole push for Linux support is that all 2500 games on Steam will run on Linux, but pretty much a massive majority will just be the Windows version with WINE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2115
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    The one problem I can see happening with the whole push for Linux support is that all 2500 games on Steam will run on Linux, but pretty much a massive majority will just be the Windows version with WINE.
    But if they can get that performance and compability to be equal or better than native Windows, then what is there to complain about?

36. Post #2116
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Anyone has any experience with samba? I have samba running on an ubuntu machine and on my raspberry pi running raspbmc rc4, and every few hours or so (half a day at most) I just lose access to my shares, have to restart samba and it's all fine again. Pretty annoying since the ubuntu machine runs sabnzbd+ and sickbeard, and the final destination is on the PI's HDD. The ubuntu machine only has a 250gb HDD in it so it's pretty much full in the morning, and post-processing isn't fast enough to process all the files on the ubuntu machine and move them to the PI during the day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

37. Post #2117
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    Anyone has any experience with samba? I have samba running on an ubuntu machine and on my raspberry pi running raspbmc rc4, and every few hours or so (half a day at most) I just lose access to my shares, have to restart samba and it's all fine again. Pretty annoying since the ubuntu machine runs sabnzbd+ and sickbeard, and the final destination is on the PI's HDD. The ubuntu machine only has a 250gb HDD in it so it's pretty much full in the morning, and post-processing isn't fast enough to process all the files on the ubuntu machine and move them to the PI during the day.
    No clue, but I've had samba shares mysteriously go absent while the deamon appears to be fine. Perhaps a cron job to restart samba every so often...

38. Post #2118
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    No clue, but I've had samba shares mysteriously go absent while the deamon appears to be fine. Perhaps a cron job to restart samba every so often...
    I really liked to just fix the problem but I can't find anything about it so I guess that's the best 'fix', thanks. Now to find out how to write a cron job :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #2119
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    Is anyone rocking it with CDE yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

40. Post #2120
    May 2010
    5,190 Posts
    Is anyone rocking it with CDE yet?
    Looks cool. Gotta try to install it on arch.