1. Post #281
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    I have tried python back in the day, I find it ok. I am enjoying ruby more than what I remember of python. I haven't tried perl tho. I have heard a lot of good stuff about it, and some less than good stuff.
    I'll give perl a shot and I'll look into python to refresh my memory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

2. Post #282
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    you can't not like python it's the best language ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #283
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    perl master race
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,175 Posts
    Just a quick question guys. I'm completely new to Linux so I apologise if I don't make much sense.

On Sunday I installed Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot as a dual boot onto my netbook, and then added CompizConfig Settings Manager so I could use the workspaces easier via a cube. Yesterday I booted up my netbook and it wouldn't work, nothing in CCSM works for that matter. The settings are still there and enabled, but it's like it is not applying them if that makes sense?

Any way I could fix this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #285

May 2010
    157 Posts
    I'm having trouble with getting a network manager to work on openbox, I've tried nm-applet but even when I execute it via terminal I get errors, any ideas?
    Never mind, i got wicd instead and it works excellent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #286
    drunk
    August 2007
    29,152 Posts
    hey fellas, i think this is the correct thread for this question

im completely new to linux so please answer in a way i could understand...

well, i just recently installed xbmc on my old laptop, it works quite well except for the fact that the video graphics isnt working correctly because when i am watching videos it speeds up and then slowing down to normal speed, and then speeding up again

im pretty sure its the video drivers thats not compatible or something with my graphics card which is an old ati radeon xpress 200m

from ive seen is that you CAN fix it, but the way people explain stuff on several other forums, im just handfallen

if someone knows a fix for my video drivers i would be forever grateful!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

7. Post #287
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    help, I keep getting kernel panic whenever I try to boot from a Live USB of Hexxeh's Chrome OS builds, both Vanilla and Lime. I'm doing it the exact way he says to.
    what am I doing wrong? Is it just the newer builds? I've looked through the comments of his blog posts and it appears there's a few people complaining about it not working right.
    I'm going to try an older build to see if that works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #288

June 2011
    86 Posts
    help, I keep getting kernel panic whenever I try to boot from a Live USB of Hexxeh's Chrome OS builds, both Vanilla and Lime. I'm doing it the exact way he says to.
    what am I doing wrong? Is it just the newer builds? I've looked through the comments of his blog posts and it appears there's a few people complaining about it not working right.
    I'm going to try an older build to see if that works.
    I think I remember him saying something about the current builds being broken, Not sure if the problem has been fixed yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #289
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    Guess I'll just throw another OS on it then, thanks.

10. Post #290
    October 2011
    1,281 Posts
    Could I task a RJ phone cable as a LAN using Ubuntu?

Essentially, I want to use a phone line between 2 computers (No LAN port on client pc, as RJ45 hadn't been invented yet or something) as a LAN instead of phone.

11. Post #291
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    the RJ12 port is not an Ethernet network interface

so no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

12. Post #292
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    Does anybody know how to switch desktops quickly with keyboard in KDE 4.8?
    I know the CTRL+F8 but like in Ubuntu you could use CTRL+ALT+(Arrow keys)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Does anybody know how to switch desktops quickly with keyboard in KDE 4.8?
    I know the CTRL+F8 but like in Ubuntu you could use CTRL+ALT+(Arrow keys)
    Go to System Settings -> Workspace Behavior. On the Virtual Desktops menu, go to the Switching tab.
    For me (so apparently be default) there are no shortcuts to switch desktops.

It sounds like you want to set "Switch to Next Desktop" and "Switch to Previous Desktop".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

14. Post #294
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,690 Posts
    Ubuntu 12.04 (which is just beta right now) is goddamned good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #295
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    Ubuntu 12.04 (which is just beta right now) is goddamned good.
    Agree

Edited:

And the workspaces works now, thank god!

Edited:

Desktop looks good, the only thing that bothers me is that you ca only change the icon for the "menu" in the taskbar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #296
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,154 Posts
    Even after using all the major DEs out there right now I keep coming back to E17...

17. Post #297
    November 2011
    482 Posts

Just got round to installing Ubuntu 12.04 on its own partition (I couldn't wait until April!). Yes, it's pretty glitchy (It's a beta after all, what do you expect?), but I must said I'm very impressed.

My Wifi adapter works out of the box correctly unlike on Ubuntu 11.10 (rtl8192cu) - On any other distro it displayed all of the networks but could never actually connect.

It's very fast compared to 11.10 as well. The install wizard doesn't freeze all of the time and is very smooth. Even without graphics drivers installed everything runs like a champ, graphics animations etc. Unfortunately it didn't automatically go to 1920x1080 unlike 11.10 since it wasn't supported.

I'm looking forward to the actual release/release candidate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts

Just got round to installing Ubuntu 12.04 on its own partition (I couldn't wait until April!). Yes, it's pretty glitchy (It's a beta after all, what do you expect?), but I must said I'm very impressed.

My Wifi adapter works out of the box correctly unlike on Ubuntu 11.10 (rtl8192cu) - On any other distro it displayed all of the networks but could never actually connect.

It's very fast compared to 11.10 as well. The install wizard doesn't freeze all of the time and is very smooth. Even without graphics drivers installed everything runs like a champ, graphics animations etc. Unfortunately it didn't automatically go to 1920x1080 unlike 11.10 since it wasn't supported.

I'm looking forward to the actual release/release candidate.

lol gnome 3

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=25481
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

19. Post #299
    October 2005
    7,154 Posts
    That's Unity.
    Besides, Gnome 3 isn't that bad. I'd probably use it on my desktop if ATI's drivers weren't terribad.

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    That's Unity not Gnome 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    wow. an appeal to authority and also outright being wrong about what interface you're posting about. keep up the great posting!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #302
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    Unity runs on-top of GNOME 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

23. Post #303
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Really? Do you mind sharing a source on this? I was briefly on the Ubuntu site, and on unity.ubuntu.com, and found nothing of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

24. Post #304
    January 2010
    655 Posts
    Unity is a Gnome 3 shell, kind like Gnome Shell.
    People just assume that Gnome 3 == Gnome Shell though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #305
    October 2005
    7,154 Posts
    It runs on top of the GNOME 3 application stack..Unity doesn't use gnome-shell or even mutter, though. Unity IIRC is actually a Compiz plugin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    The only thing it has in common is that it uses Gtk and runs the same Gnome applications like Nautilus. It's an entirely different Window Manager.

27. Post #307
    October 2005
    7,154 Posts
    I like how uneventful this thread is. We spent the last 6 posts repeating the same thing the last person said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #308
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,022 Posts
    They were more informative after each other though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

29. Post #309
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    I hate that My GTS450 runs like shit, and I've tried both open and closed drivers. With both screens enabled, the glitches just gets worse. Windows 7 and 8 both have horrible drivers too. But for a free card, I guess I'll manage. Beats using the onboard GeForce 6100.

30. Post #310
    October 2011
    1,281 Posts
    My NIC isn't working so now i must use dumb dhclient until i can get ethtool...

31. Post #311
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    Have the Atheros 5K wifi drivers been removed? The mPCIe card I bought in 2008 no longer works with Kernel 3.0+ for some reason, and I thought going with an Atheros chip was the most recommended chipset for Ubuntu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,005 Posts
    Have the Atheros 5K wifi drivers been removed? The mPCIe card I bought in 2008 no longer works with Kernel 3.0+ for some reason, and I thought going with an Atheros chip was the most recommended chipset for Ubuntu.
    The ath5k driver should still be in kernel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #313
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    The ath5k driver should still be in kernel.
    My system isn't initializing the card. It's detected in ifconfig, but won't turn on. (It's wlan0, and typing in sudo ifconfig wlan0 up does nothing.) And yes, I've tried every combination with the hardware switch too. (Fn + F3)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

34. Post #314
    September 2008
    705 Posts
    Topic divebomb go!
    Should I use Arch64 or Ubuntu?
    I like Arch because:
    - I can install my own DE (mainly this)
    - It is rolling release

I dislike Arch because:
    - I can break things easily. I'll probably blow up my Windows Partition and be sad because I lost all of my programming projects, screenshots, music, time wasted DLing things on Steam etc.

I like Ubuntu because:
    - It's hard for me to accidentally break things; stuff is setup for me already
    - It's got a large community and is one of the most popular distros. Support!

I dislike Ubuntu because:
    - It is not rolling release. Things become out of date.
    - As far as I know, uninstalling a DE completely is difficult.

35. Post #315
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Topic divebomb go!
    I like Arch because:
    - It is rolling release

I dislike Arch because:
    - I can break things easily. I'll probably blow up my Windows Partition and be sad because I lost all of my programming projects, screenshots, music, time wasted DLing things on Steam etc.

I like Ubuntu because:

If your only dislike with Arch is that you can easily break it, then I'd say you learn a bit more about Arch and go with it. In the end, it'll totally be worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #316
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,476 Posts
    I was wondering, what dock is the best one for KDE 4.8?
    It would fit with my new setup for my desktop.

kooldock? I am not sure actually, i wan't to be able to change the icon and fiddle around with it.

Edited:

Wen't with Cairo Dock
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    508 Posts
    Even after using all the major DEs out there right now I keep coming back to E17...

What is it like?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #318
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,005 Posts
    Topic divebomb go!
    I like Arch because:
    - It is rolling release

I dislike Arch because:

I like Ubuntu because:

You could try Arch in a VM to get used to it first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts
    Topic divebomb go!
    I like Arch because:
    - It is rolling release

I dislike Arch because:

I like Ubuntu because:

You can install and uninstall DEs easily in both, and the only moment you can break something in Arch that you can't in Ubuntu is during setup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #320
    October 2005
    7,154 Posts
    What is it like?
    Very unique. It's actually fairly impressive how lightweight it can be on resources (Xorg plus just the WM only take up about 200MB of RAM) while staying pretty much fully featured. It's basically a window manager with pretty much any feature you could ask for - It's stupidly easy to theme, it's very expandable with modules, has a built in file manager, a built-in application launcher and file locator (which is also expandable), and also looks quite nice with subtle eye candy.
    The only problem is that it's been in development for aeons, never had an official release. Arch has SVN snapshots built every so often, though.