1. Post #1121
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,799 Posts
    It's literally every file from those categories on the side, displayed in one window.

That looks like a nightmare and something I'd never use. Well, unless I saved something in the wrong category... or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #1122
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneckā„¢
    December 2009
    7,205 Posts
    That looks like a nightmare and something I'd never use. Well, unless I saved something in the wrong category... or something.
    It's not even helpful since I can just hit CMD + Space and start typing and it searches that.

It will also define words and I can preview each thing by hovering over it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

3. Post #1123
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,508 Posts
    It's not even helpful since I can just hit CMD + Space and start typing and it searches that.

It will also define words and I can preview each thing by hovering over it.
    Why haven't other operating systems done something like this

Apple may run their business badly but holy shit do they have some good ideas in there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #1124
    Mombasa's Hubby :3
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts

Three 1280x1024 CRT monitors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #1125
    December 2011
    835 Posts
    Bad things about the desktop:
    - Too much Rainmeter. I'm fine with little hints of it but all that is bad.
    - TOO MANY FUCKING DESKTOP ICONS.
    - That visual style is the ugliest fucking thing I've ever seen this thread come up with.
    - What possible reason could you have to show your ENTIRE system tray at all times? You're not running Windows 95, stop acting like you are.
    - You're not consistent in your icons. Half your taskbar is Token (and you're using Dark on a black taskbar, totally visible)

Bad things about your computer habits (as evidenced by what is seen on your desktop):
    - All your music is in FLV. Which means you're not only pirating music from YouTube (which is like stealing a Honda Civic, to use a car analogy), you're not even trying to convert it into a respectable format such as MP3.
    - You're using VLC as a background music player. While this is probably because you're using fucking FLV (which is a bad format in general), VLC is also not that great at being a full blown music player. It's good for one-off file opening but that's about it.
    - You have League of Legends and StarCraft II both on your dock and your taskbar. Obviously you're not very good at organization. Which means your "sorted" music files are probably just all thrown into a "Music" folder and renamed only when filenames conflict. Probably the same with your pictures and games (although I admit my image folder isn't exactly a bastion of hierarchical bliss).

Edited:

THEN GET SORTING.

Edited:
    I really don't care much if you don't like the theme, everyone got different taste.

My reason for the black token icons on half the task bar is that the black ones are the ones i use the least, and therefore I don't want them to stick out so very much.

I'm showing the entire sys tray because I like to know what's running at all times.

The thing that makes me irritable about your post is when you start complaining about my PC habits. You say i got all my music in flv. thats wrong, i just downloaded a play list for a friend, and have not done anything about it yet. My music folder is kinda sorted good.

I can agree with you on that it's kinda stupid to have lol and sc2 on dock and taskbar. That will be fixed.

Sorry my bad english, and sorry to the thread since this might be a little off-topic, just had to reply.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #1126
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    I really don't care much if you don't like the theme, everyone got different taste.

My reason for the black token icons on half the task bar is that the black ones are the ones i use the least, and therefore I don't want them to stick out so very much.

I'm showing the entire sys tray because I like to know what's running at all times.

The thing that makes me irritable about your post is when you start complaining about my PC habits. You say i got all my music in flv. thats wrong, i just downloaded a play list for a friend, and have not done anything about it yet. My music folder is kinda sorted good.

I can agree with you on that it's kinda stupid to have lol and sc2 on dock and taskbar. That will be fixed.

Sorry my bad english, and sorry to the thread since this might be a little off-topic, just had to reply.
    A post about a desktop in a desktop thread is certainly on-topic. Your english is fine as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1127
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #1128
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneckā„¢
    December 2009
    7,205 Posts
    Why haven't other operating systems done something like this

Apple may run their business badly but holy shit do they have some good ideas in there.
    Honestly, I didn't care for OS X all that much more than Windows... before I used it. The multi-touch gestures and other small things within the OS make me understand why people prefer it.

Having every application in one folder and not having to dig to find the exe to run it in a subfolder is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

9. Post #1129
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,799 Posts
    Honestly, I didn't care for OS X all that much more than Windows... before I used it. The multi-touch gestures and other small things within the OS make me understand why people prefer it.

Having every application in one folder and not having to dig to find the exe to run it in a subfolder is awesome.
    Window key, type Steam, done. The application thing is similar to what's used by Windows in the start menu. I get all my apps quickly that way.

Alternatively, stay organized, window key, type, C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steam.exe, done. For all the programs that I'm lazy to stick in my start menu and isn't automatically added is thrown into my C:/etc/ folder. i.e. C:/etc/pakrat.jar.

Alternatively, window key, type, wait for the search, done.

But yeah, I can agree that OSX caters towards the computer user not wanting to have to do a little more or have to learn more than what Apple considers is necessary. Not knocking OSX - Windows is working in that direction is pretty neat and I'm thankful. A lot of Windows users I know IRL shouldn't be on a computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

10. Post #1130
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #1131
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,799 Posts

Clearly you take the high road.

Off-topic, but what's the craze with vocaloids? That's not me trying to be mean or anything, but I guess I just don't get it. They don't sound right at all.

12. Post #1132
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

Clearly you take the high road.

Off-topic, but what's the craze with vocaloids? That's not me trying to be mean or anything, but I guess I just don't get it. They don't sound right at all.
    Nobody ever messes with the default settings but it generally sounds too breathy and digital if you don't. A little reverb and keep the vocals low in the mix (think Steve Albini's mixing work) and it can sound like a real person singing.

Personally, I just use it because I'm a recording musician who cannot sing to save his life. It's an easy way to get a vocal melody down until I can record it with an actual vocalist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #1133
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    721 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #1134
    October 2008
    14,508 Posts
    Then at least move all the black ones together, because they stick out like sore thumbs to me.

why

Do you have lousy specs or something?

You say i got all my music in flv. thats wrong, i just downloaded a play list for a friend, and have not done anything about it yet. My music folder is kinda sorted good.

See, I can never comprehend how someone can organize most of their things decently but still have a flood of crap on their desktop. If it was a separate Downloads folder then that'd be one thing (it's not right there in front of you so you wouldn't remember to handle it as often) but the desktop?

Artist/Album/Track is how I have my music sorted as well. As long as you have some way of sorting them with those three fields then I'm not bitching about that.

Thank you sir.

Your English is fine. Not perfect, but very few mistakes, which is actually an accomplishment considering how often the English language breaks it's own rules.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

15. Post #1135
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,799 Posts
    Nobody ever messes with the default settings but it generally sounds too breathy and digital if you don't. A little reverb and keep the vocals low in the mix (think Steve Albini's mixing work) and it can sound like a real person singing.

Personally, I just use it because I'm a recording musician who cannot sing to save his life. It's an easy way to get a vocal melody down until I can record it with an actual vocalist.
    Muy intersante. Send me your tracks. :E

I just don't sing. I'm working on my singing but until it's tolerable I just don't provide vocals.

16. Post #1136
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Muy intersante. Send me your tracks. :E

I just don't sing. I'm working on my singing but until it's tolerable I just don't provide vocals.
    I've tried singing. Had a vocal coach for a good 2 years and I still never managed to get it down. I can hit the notes, I have a range almost as wide as Mariah Carey. Just once there's melody, lyrics, and rhythm to worry about my singing breaks down.

17. Post #1137
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,488 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

18. Post #1138
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,247 Posts

19. Post #1139
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 4 (list)

20. Post #1140
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    At least you've got GIMP and Thunderbird there! (If you're going with the whole FOSS thing, swap WMP with any decent FOSS music player and Chrome with Chromium).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #1141
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    At least you've got GIMP and Thunderbird there! (If you're going with the whole FOSS thing, swap WMP with any decent FOSS music player and Chrome with Chromium).
    If I really cared I wouldn't be using windows.

The background was a silly thing I made in all of 5 minutes. (From a windows 8 BSOD nonetheless.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

22. Post #1142
    October 2008
    14,508 Posts
    Chrome with Chromium
    Chrome is built on the same source tree as Chromium. The only difference between the two browsers is Chromium doesn't have auto-update (because if it did then it might (will) fuck up any modifications to the source you made).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1143
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,160 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #1144
    January 2011
    1,171 Posts
    Here are my 4 wallpapers, they cycle every 30 minutes

http://imgur.com/a/i9oLr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #1145
    Groovy Member
    January 2005
    2,873 Posts
    I just spent about 4 hours making my own icons for rocketdock, oh god

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #1146
    December 2011
    835 Posts
    I came to find myself in that position that i needed some changes. ( After the critic of my messy, disgusting last SS of my desktop)

And this is the first new try. Not sure if this is how it's gonna stay yet. Gonna change the skype icon + add rainmeter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #1147
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,695 Posts
    I just spent about 4 hours making my own icons for rocketdock, oh god

Looks good!

Can't go wrong with having cmd open. You never know when you'll need it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #1148
    October 2008
    14,508 Posts
    You never know when you'll need it.
    Hardly ever.

and even then cmd is fucking horrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1149
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    342 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1150

Star Wars, Tea and Firefly. Where can you go wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

31. Post #1151
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,365 Posts

Star Wars, Tea and Firefly. Where can you go wrong?
    Where did you get the star wars pic, or is it just a random find.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #1152
    Where did you get the star wars pic, or is it just a random find.
    Got it off a friend who got it off Wallbase I think, it's Naboo. Search for Naboo on Wallbase. It's really lovely full res, the kind of painting I can imagine putting up on my wall.

33. Post #1153
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,405 Posts
    I maeded a new desktop for myself!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

34. Post #1154
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    646 Posts
    Trying to make my own Rainmeter theme, just wanted to show how it's going.
    Regular:

Mouseover All:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #1155
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,743 Posts

I've been messing around with my school laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #1156
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,799 Posts
    That's a little obnoxious, don't you think? How long are you going to be looking at that anyway?

37. Post #1157
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,743 Posts
    That's a little obnoxious, don't you think? How long are you going to be looking at that anyway?
    Rainmeter is the only code I currently have most experience with and sometimes I may get really bored and make a new useless addition to my desktop.

38. Post #1158
    October 2008
    14,508 Posts

I've been messing around with my school laptop.
    it's the only time I've ever seen a shitload of Rainmeter and not wanted to strangle people. Nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #1159
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,534 Posts

Yay for bland, tasteless usability!

Edited:

To be fair, on mouseover the start cube glows red, yellow, and green on the 3 different faces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #1160
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    it's the only time I've ever seen a shitload of Rainmeter and not wanted to strangle people. Nice.
    Just a warning, you may be a sociopath.

Edited:

Yay for bland, tasteless usability!

Edited:

To be fair, on mouseover the start cube glows red, yellow, and green on the 3 different faces.
    I like the style of the icons a lot, but the clock and cube don't match it. You should fix that with a flat black rainmeter clock in the middle and maybe a new black start orb.