1. Post #881
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    Is it possible to add like a water dripping effect in Hammer? I have a room full of pipes and I'd like to have like water dripping from one of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

2. Post #882
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,932 Posts
    Is it possible to add like a water dripping effect in Hammer? I have a room full of pipes and I'd like to have like water dripping from one of them.
    Episode 2 has some nice particles for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #883
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    Can I use that in L4D2 authoring tools? Since it's a L4D2 map.

4. Post #884
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,932 Posts
    Can I use that in L4D2 authoring tools? Since it's a L4D2 map.
    I'm sure L4D2 has some too, look in the particle editor or on the VDC particle list.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #885
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    Will do. Thanks!

Edited:

Well, all the .pcf files are inside the main .vpk files, so I had to use GFCScape to extract the particle folder form there to the one that already exists inside l4d folder in order to be able to view the particles. But, it was worth it, L4D2 has some really neat particles effects, especially for rain/water since I needed that.

6. Post #886
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,309 Posts
    Sorry to repost but nobody has answered my question for two days:

For some reason the shadows cast by my trees don't effect npcs, anybody know how to fix this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

7. Post #887
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    Weird issue, gotta say. Unfortunately I don't know what could cause or how to solve it :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #888
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,734 Posts
    Weird issue, gotta say. Unfortunately I don't know what could cause or how to solve it :(
    Are you serious? I don't mean to sound like a dick, but post was completely useless.

And yes, I am aware of the hypocrisy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #889
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    The guy said he did not get a reply in 2 days. Now he did. I at least said something, so that he doesn't think no one even cared or looked at his post. And besides, I don't see why are you so concerned about my post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #890
    August 2008
    173 Posts

For some reason the shadows cast by my trees don't effect npcs, anybody know how to fix this?
    This is probably not the best solution, but I think it might work to put some brushes with the blocklight texture around the height of the leaves, might cause some odd looking shadows if the brushes are to big, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

11. Post #891
    Problems are hidden solutions (c)
    November 2011
    1,786 Posts

Try to change the sun falling angle to see how it turns out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

12. Post #892
    May 2008
    240 Posts

I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about, but do you have a shadow_control entity? maybe that helps..? at least it will make the npcs have their own shadows..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #893
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,309 Posts
    Try to change the sun falling angle to see how it turns out
    I've tested it at various sun angles, no matter what the trees' shadows don't effect npcs.

I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about, but do you have a shadow_control entity? maybe that helps..? at least it will make the npcs have their own shadows.
    Yeah, I think it'll just give the npcs shadows on the ground, it won't effect their actual lighting.

Edit:

If it's any help, I'm using Staticproplighting, Staticproppolys and Textureshadows in expert compile so that the lighting of static props is based off of the actual model rather than just the collision model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

14. Post #894
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    Can someone tell me why do my windows look like this when shattered?

15. Post #895
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    2,940 Posts

Probably happens for a couple of reasons.

1. You have a leak or something
    2. may be a cubemap issue? try adding one.
    3. glass's origin is getting weird light.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #896
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    There is no leaks. There is env_cubemap in front of each glass and I've built cubemaps. The only one I could think of is your 3rd point: weird light. I'll add some more light and test it out.

17. Post #897
    April 2009
    2,415 Posts
    -snip, wrong thread-

18. Post #898
    April 2011
    799 Posts
    Put it on the map pimpage thread. This one's for technical stuff iirc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #899

July 2011
    185 Posts

I believe that's normal for a window to look like that after being shot if it's a func_breakable_surf. You could try changing them to normal func_breakables and giving them the "glass" material type to see which one you would prefer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

20. Post #900
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    I believe that's normal for a window to look like that after being shot if it's a func_breakable_surf. You could try changing them to normal func_breakables and giving them the "glass" material type to see which one you would prefer.
    Yes, this seems to be the case, I've just found out. The glassbreakable70a texture is like that when it shatters it seems. The other one I tried wasn't.

Also, a quick question. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but some particles, while I can see them in the browser don't appear in game and also, aligning them is quite hard, since in the editor you don't see the particle itself so it's hard to put it properly, is there any way I don't know of about how to "aim" the particles in the editor properly?

21. Post #901
    April 2011
    799 Posts
    Can someone tell me what this really refers to? It's at 126% now and I still don't know what it means.

Code:
    physics               [variable]     4070862/4194304  (126.1%) VERY FULL!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events

22. Post #902
    November 2011
    1,786 Posts
    Can someone tell me what this really refers to? It's at 126% now and I still don't know what it means.

Code:
    physics               [variable]     4070862/4194304  (126.1%) VERY FULL!
    That means that you almost hit the engine physics limit which is 4194304. Try yo make some of your prop_physics to prop_static or disable collision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #903
    March 2009
    564 Posts

At least turn down the bloom so it isn't as obvious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

24. Post #904
    April 2011
    799 Posts
    That means that you almost hit the engine physics limit which is 4194304. Try yo make some of your prop_physics to prop_static or disable collision.
    That doesn't make any sense because I only have about 8 or so physics props on my map. At some point I suspected it was the static rubble props I had laying around so I disabled collisions on them. Still no luck though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Philippines Show Events

25. Post #905
    November 2011
    1,786 Posts
    That doesn't make any sense because I only have about 8 or so physics props on my map. At some point I suspected it was the static rubble props I had laying around so I disabled collisions on them. Still no luck though.
    You probably have too many power 4 discplacements / physics surfaces on your map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #906
    April 2011
    799 Posts
    That was it! Thanks a lot GoldPlatinum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Philippines Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #907
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    -snip-

Fixed it.

28. Post #908
    October 2007
    4,434 Posts

I don't know if this would fix it, but would building cube maps/ having cube maps help? or is that only with textures?

29. Post #909
    November 2011
    1,786 Posts
    I don't know if this would fix it, but would building cube maps/ having cube maps help? or is that only with textures?
    Its about the Engine not applying shadows to Npc's. Cubemaps have nothing to do with this.

30. Post #910
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,932 Posts
    You probably have too many power 4 discplacements / physics surfaces on your map.
    Power 4 displacements do NOT cause crashes. It's all about how dense the vertices are, a 128^2 power 3 will crash just the same as a 512^2 power 4.

Power 4 at 1024^2 works fine, and offers the most compatibility with brushwork seen as you can then use power 3 at 512^2, and power 2 at 256^2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #911
    November 2011
    1,786 Posts
    Power 4 displacements do NOT cause crashes. It's all about how dense the vertices are, a 128^2 power 3 will crash just the same as a 512^2 power 4.

Power 4 at 1024^2 works fine, and offers the most compatibility with brushwork seen as you can then use power 3 at 512^2, and power 2 at 256^2.
    Ok. How do you explain his previous crashes in that case?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

32. Post #912
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,734 Posts
    Ok. How do you explain his previous crashes in that case?
    Try re-reading what Legend is saying. It's not that power of four displacements are problematic, it's about the density of the vertices in the displacement. If they are too dense, that's what causes the crash.

It's common for this to occur in power of four displacements because they have the most vertices.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #913
    November 2011
    1,786 Posts
    If i got you right the high amount of vertices is due the power of displacements.
    Anyways, Azzator's issue is solved and that matters most.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #914
    January 2011
    226 Posts
    Is it possible for a map to "know" if the player has a certain game installed? I'd like to have some purely visual assets from CSS in my map, but I would like to have them not drawn if the player does not have it installed, to prevent error models and pink checkerboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

35. Post #915
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,734 Posts
    If i got you right the high amount of vertices is due the power of displacements.
    No, the high amount of vertices is due to the amount of vertices in a given area. It doesn't actually have anything to do with the power of the displacement.

36. Post #916
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Essentially, power of 4 displacements are much easier to fuck up than power of three unless you know what you are doing with them

37. Post #917
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    8,862 Posts
    Anyone have a link to a good tutorial explaining how to properly use env_tonemap controllers? I'm having some trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #918
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,076 Posts
    how do I make a silhouette with text over an object in L4D2? (ex. the Help radios but on any object)

are there any ways I can control the amount of players like last man on earth / making only infected with no specials or tanks unless it's map triggered? (Trying to go for a true singleplayer level in L4D2)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

39. Post #919
    November 2011
    1,786 Posts
    are there any ways I can control the amount of players like last man on earth / making only infected with no specials or tanks unless it's map triggered? (Trying to go for a true singleplayer level in L4D2)
    Valve Developer commun posted:
    can output the director's anger level, allowing level designers to adjust conditions according to how well the players are doing.
    Check this out- https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Info_director

40. Post #920
    March 2011
    4,568 Posts
    So, trying to figure something out. I've checked some of the Valve maps in L4D2 in Hammer and I noticed that in the 3rd campaign I think, doesn't really matter, the houses that are on the side of the street that you can enter etc. they are all like surrounded by a brush with a hint texture and an area portal brush in the windows and the door into the house. Now, from my understanding what this does, the Hint brush pretty much "hides" and does not load anything inside the house while the areaportal brush is there so that the interior will be loaded if you try to peek in through the window or just open the door and enter. Am I correct to assume this is what it does/how it works?