1. Post #1921
    I already tried that, but that didn't seem to work.
    Like so?:
    Yeah I would expect that to work...

You could resort to parenting it to a func_door_rotating and setting the prop_door_rotating's rotate distance to 0 degrees while triggering the func_door_rotating
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1922
    PROUD BRONY 4LYFE
    February 2009
    3,312 Posts

Why can I never get these bush models to light properly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1923
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,443 Posts

Are they prop_static? prop_dynamic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #1924
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts

Their texture is UnlitGeneric

You should go into the .vmt for them and Change the shader to VertexLitGeneric
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1925
    December 2007
    539 Posts
    Could someone please list the steps necessary to make a map support daynight script? I'm assuming you need to compile it with light_environment brightnesses a-z, however I'm not sure how to do so? Daynight script i'm talking about (http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=8DPyvwYf)

Additionally, I'm working on a max size map for a survival themed game, however I'm wondering how I can reduce VVIS compile time? I'm guessing the VVIS compile time is probably because of the scale of the map and how many visleafs there are. Would it be okay to just run it -fast to skip all visibility optimization have the fog's z clip plane handle that?

6. Post #1926
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Where did you get this script from, i might be able to help if I knew.

7. Post #1927
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,443 Posts
    There's no wildcard (or ' * ') in the forloop which registers light_environment entities

Code:
    self.light_environment = ents.FindByClass( 'light_environment' );

// start at night.
    	if ( self.light_environment ) then
    		local light;
    		for _ , light in pairs( self.light_environment ) do
    			light:Fire( 'FadeToPattern' , string.char( LIGHT_LOW ) , 0 );
    			light:Activate( );
    		end
    	end
    The way, I'm guessing, is it takes all light_environments in the map and turns them into that light variable, then uses the FadeToPattern output to change it to Light_Low (Which I assume is night).

I'm not sure why it's not running.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

8. Post #1928
    PROUD BRONY 4LYFE
    February 2009
    3,312 Posts
    Their texture is UnlitGeneric

You should go into the .vmt for them and Change the shader to VertexLitGeneric
    Thanks, if I pack them in the bsp they'll overwrite the default ones right?

9. Post #1929
    March 2012
    3,602 Posts
    Thanks, if I pack them in the bsp they'll overwrite the default ones right?
    Yup, you can also overwrite models, sounds, scripts etc

Edit: I think you can add lua aswell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1930

January 2012
    87 Posts
    I'm developing my own map using the framework from gm_apartment. I have no problems using the .fgd or making sure my map fits its requirements but I'd like to create my own entities, in this case a brush bused entity similar to door entity already avaible. I can handle the lua coding but how would I edit the .fgd so I can add one in hammer and have it all the right properties and flags?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

11. Post #1931
    December 2007
    539 Posts
    That script is the same one that rp_evocity_v33x uses. (http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?...1#post29205532)

Based on the research I've done, the daynight script will NOT run on any map unless the map is specifically made for it. Based on the way lightmaps work, I am fairly sure all the lighting conditions need to be rendered beforehand. I have looked at the VMF for rp_evocity_v33x and am unable to determine how to do so.

12. Post #1932
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,443 Posts
    That script is the same one that rp_evocity_v33x uses. (http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?...1#post29205532)

Based on the research I've done, the daynight script will NOT run on any map unless he map is specifically made for it. Based on the way lightmaps work, I am fairly sure all the lighting conditions need to be rendered beforehand. I have looked at the VMF for rp_evocity_v33x and am unable to determine how to do so.
    I'll further investigate this and hopefully have a solution to you before the night is over.

--

I've almost got it figured out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

13. Post #1933

March 2010
    22 Posts
    How to create a realistic moving background and floor(like ctf_convoy for example) ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

14. Post #1934
    Level Design Portfolio
    November 2009
    2,043 Posts
    How to create a realistic moving background and floor(like ctf_convoy for example) ?
    I am guessing the system is similar to this:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Flowing_Water

15. Post #1935

March 2010
    22 Posts
    Thank for this quick response, i'll try this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

16. Post #1936
    Level Design Portfolio
    November 2009
    2,043 Posts
    Thank for this quick response, i'll try this.
    Good luck.

17. Post #1937
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,443 Posts
    I really did try, this was the best effect I could get but it doesn't change from day to night at all. I understand the concept, however.

He uses a fake_skybox_white texture to illuminate the map and give it the tint that matches the time of day it is, then changes that func_brush's opacity as it goes throughout the day. He also uses the env_sun's pitch to direct shadows (I guess?).

It's like the timer isn't running I guess.

--

OH SHIT I GOT IT WORKING, It turns out that's what nighttime looks on that map. The sun is just moving slowly underneath my map. I'll take a daytime pic and post it in a bit.

Happy morning everyone!

--

You're going to basically have to copy his 3d skybox over, it's pretty confusing how to set it up. Then follow his instructions (put the lua in autorun) and wait about 5 minutes and you should see the sun. If you don't want to copy it at least study it to every last detial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #1938
    November 2009
    517 Posts
    So, I'm trying to make a texture reflective, but after I run buildcubemaps, the texture looks as if the entire specular map is white, which it isn't. So, the texture is completely 100% reflective when it shouldn't be. I'm using the EP2 engine, and here's the vmt for the texture:
    Code:
    LightMappedGeneric
    {
    	"$basetexture" "custom\stonefloor001b"
    	"$surfaceprop" "rock"
    	"$bumpmap" "custom\stonefloor001_normal"
    	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	"$envmapmask" "custom\stonefloor001_specular"
    }
    What is happening because I've run into this problem before.
    Anyone? I cannot shake this problem!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

19. Post #1939
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Anyone? I cannot shake this problem!
    $bumpmap and $envmapmask don't work together.

you need to put the envmap in the alpha of the bumpmap and use
    $normalmapalphaenvmapmask 1

20. Post #1940
    November 2009
    517 Posts
    $bumpmap and $envmapmask don't work together.

you need to put the envmap in the alpha of the bumpmap and use
    $normalmapalphaenvmapmask 1
    Well, thanks for the help for sure.
    When I read that one the wiki, I was under the impression that it didn't work on .mdl models. You learn something knew everyday, and something that should have been obvious at least once week.

21. Post #1941
    March 2012
    3,602 Posts
    Is there any way to either manually edit the light map or to make prop_dynamic cast light mapped shadows? (aside from placing an invisilbe prop static under it)

22. Post #1942
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    No. You need to make it a static prop, by compiling the .QC with $staticprop

23. Post #1943
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts
    In worldcraft my maps wont compile at all, and they wont run.

Why is this?

24. Post #1944
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    In worldcraft my maps wont compile at all, and they wont run.

Why is this?
    Worldcraft or hammer?

worldcraft was for quake, goldsrc, and quake II

If hammer, post the compile log.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1945
    July 2010
    2,611 Posts
    Let's say I have a tunnel section 4096 units long, and each section has 4 rotating fan's for ventilation then is there a way to copy-paste it without having to manually go and change the name of each func_rotating and the parent of every prop_dynamic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1946
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Let's say I have a tunnel section 4096 units long, and each section has 4 rotating fan's for ventilation then is there a way to copy-paste it without having to manually go and change the name of each func_rotating and the parent of every prop_dynamic?
    No.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1947
    LifePunch.net
    June 2010
    1,178 Posts
    Hey, unrelated to mapping but related to this board because I can't find the rules.

Is it okay to request certain maps done or to request a mapper? Aka I need a map done, I'm willing to pay, is it okay to make a thread about it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1948
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Hey, unrelated to mapping but related to this board because I can't find the rules.

Is it okay to request certain maps done or to request a mapper? Aka I need a map done, I'm willing to pay, is it okay to make a thread about it?
    Yes, it should be okay. There used to be a full forum for requests, but it's gone now.

29. Post #1949
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    What is the best way, besides instances (using the ep2 fork), to make geometry off-grid?

I thought manifests would work but I can't quite figure out how to do it that way.

30. Post #1950
    March 2011
    4,280 Posts
    When compiling another map it says it cant load filesystem_steam.dll

Where is that usually located?
    So now instead of this when I try to run the map nothing happens. I compile the map, the do a quick run with the compiler set to 'expert' and such.

31. Post #1951
    Level Design Portfolio
    November 2009
    2,043 Posts

Yeah, all requests just get dumped in the mess of the main Mapping section forum. Feel free to make one, I am sure someone will help.

32. Post #1952
    Viking Member
    November 2008
    5,610 Posts
    I load up the map in Portal 2 (previously Episode 2) and I get this bullshit,

The vbsp is fine, the models appear correct but the sprites... I don't even know what's going on with the sprites. But I know this, those orange grass straws or whatever it is, can't be found on my texture. I've tried setting a custom detailsprites texture in map properties and I've tried overwriting the default one. I get the same crap in both cases.

Any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

33. Post #1953
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Did you replace the detailsprites.vtf?

34. Post #1954
    Viking Member
    November 2008
    5,610 Posts
    Yes I tried replacing it and I tried setting it up as a new one through map properties.

35. Post #1955
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Does it compile with them?

36. Post #1956
    Viking Member
    November 2008
    5,610 Posts
    It compiles, but upon map load Portal 2 shuts down.

Edited:

Tried doing a fast compile without sprites.

Works wonders. >:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #1957
    March 2012
    3,602 Posts
    I load up the map in Portal 2 (previously Episode 2) and I get this bullshit,

The vbsp is fine, the models appear correct but the sprites... I don't even know what's going on with the sprites. But I know this, those orange grass straws or whatever it is, can't be found on my texture. I've tried setting a custom detailsprites texture in map properties and I've tried overwriting the default one. I get the same crap in both cases.

Any ideas?
    Does ep2 and portal2 have different aspect ratios for the detail sheet? That can muck up sprites.

38. Post #1958
    Viking Member
    November 2008
    5,610 Posts
    I don't know, my detailsprites texture for that map is 2048x2048. I have another detailsprites texture for another map that is 8192x8192 and it also works just fine in Episode 2.

Anyway, the map no longer has invisible displacements and brushes if i compile with a non-hdr skybox. Map still crashes on mapspawn if i compile with detailsprites though, (which are still fucked up in hammer - probably ingame too since it is crashing).

39. Post #1959
    April 2012
    78 Posts
    I hate being annoying and asking for help, as I usually try to figure things out myself.
    I've run into this problem before and solved it, but it was so long ago that I don't even remember what I did.

http://gamebanana.com/threads/173615

Here's a post I found that describes almost exactly what my problem is, whenever the flashlight is turned on (or any dynamic light for that matter) the entire map past a certain distance is culled in a box around the player camera.
    This is really proving a pain because it's doing this no matter how I compile it. LDR, HDR, fullbright, added an env_fog and set the clipping pane to 60,000, restarted the SDK, Steam, everything. It's only a very simplistic map intended as a set in Source Filmmaker.

Anyone else get this problem before? Sorry if I'm being a bother.

EDIT: Solved the problem

Apparantly the skybox texture I had found was set to "UnlitGeneric" instead of "Sky"
    Derp. xP

Sorry to waste post space.

40. Post #1960
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,006 Posts
    I'm trying to make a map but it keeps being fullbright.

I have a light_environment with settings and a light entity, and there's no leak within the map.
    Both GMod and HL2 won't let me change mat_fullbright from 1 to 0 or 2, even with sv_cheats on 1

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\sourcesdk\bin\source2009 \bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\half-life 2\hl2" "C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Sep 15 2011)
    6 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\half-life 2\hl2\materials
    Loading C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.vmf
    Could not locate 'GameData' key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\half-life 2\hl2\gameinfo.txt
    Patching WVT material: maps/gm_coolercoaster_b2/dev/dev_blendmeasure_wvt_patch
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 12 detail faces...done (0)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (0)
    writing C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.prt...Bui lding visibility clusters...
    done (0)
    Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
    skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
    ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
    skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
    ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Building Physics collision data...
    done (0) (6827 bytes)
    Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Compacting texture/material tables...
    Reduced 32 texinfos to 16
    Reduced 12 texdatas to 11 (284 bytes to 263)
    Writing C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.bsp
    1 second elapsed

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\sourcesdk\bin\source2009 \bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\half-life 2\hl2" "C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Sep 15 2011)
    6 threads
    reading c:\users\xxx\desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.bsp
    reading c:\users\xxx\desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.prt
    6 portalclusters
    8 numportals
    BasePortalVis: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    PortalFlow: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
    Optimized: 0 visible clusters (0.00%)
    Total clusters visible: 36
    Average clusters visible: 6
    Building PAS...
    Average clusters audible: 6
    visdatasize:64 compressed from 96
    writing c:\users\xxx\desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.bsp
    1 second elapsed

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\sourcesdk\bin\source2009 \bin\vrad.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\half-life 2\hl2" "C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Sep 15 2011)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
    6 threads
    [Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    [45 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\users\xxx\desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.bsp
    Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure... Done (0.14 seconds)
    18576 faces
    47284988 square feet [6809038336.00 square inches]
    0 Displacements
    0 Square Feet [0.00 Square Inches]
    18576 patches before subdivision

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\gm_coolercoaster_b2.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\half-life 2\hl2\maps\gm_coolercoaster_b2.bsp"

** Executing...
    ** Command: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steam.exe
    ** Parameters: -applaunch 220 -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\xxx\half-life 2\hl2" -windowed +map "gm_coolercoaster_b2"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)