I also tried:
    }
    }

And:
    }}'

EDIT:

Huh. Sort-of fixed it.
    I added 3 }s.

However, all of my vertexes and props are gone. So.. partial victory.
    Well then your vmf is corrupt.

Load the VMX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #1722
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,570 Posts
    "Unexpected end of file", still.

I also tried:
    }
    }

And:
    }}'

EDIT:

Huh. Sort-of fixed it.
    I added 3 }s.

However, all of my vertexes and props are gone. So.. partial victory.
    Check for any out of place quotes. If you used quotes in a keyvalue, that will corrupt your vmf.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1723
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    1. Anyone use this tool?

http://qsextreme.com/vbct/

If so how is it?

2. Whenever I texture buildings, or walls, they look very repetitive, and it just looks really bad... I am used to doing indoor CSS maps, and am trying to work on a large out door map. This is a big change for me. I use the same texture for the whole side of the building, and you can visibly see it repeat, are there any methods to make it look better? If so please let me know how. Thank you in advance.

4. Post #1724
    July 2010
    222 Posts
    Hello Facepunch.

Recently I've decided to try my hand at mapping, but have encountered a problem on my first project - which is basically a portion of a street corner. All was going well, but then I ran into problems.

Basically, this "shadow" - please excuse my lack of technical vocabulary - appeared anddoes not want to go away. It surrounds me when I try to do anything. It's workable, but it is very, VERY annoying. I've included a link to a screenshot, if it is of any use.

http://cubeupload.com/im/BkgyU2.png

I had been told that it might be a leak, but this happens every time I try to make a new map, so I don't think it can be that. If this has been posted elsewhere, then I apologize, but I have not yet seen it.

The answer is probably obvious, but I am very, very, very new to this.

Help, please?

5. Post #1725
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Hello Facepunch.

Recently I've decided to try my hand at mapping, but have encountered a problem on my first project - which is basically a portion of a street corner. All was going well, but then I ran into problems.

Basically, this "shadow" - please excuse my lack of technical vocabulary - appeared anddoes not want to go away. It surrounds me when I try to do anything. It's workable, but it is very, VERY annoying. I've included a link to a screenshot, if it is of any use.

http://cubeupload.com/im/BkgyU2.png

I had been told that it might be a leak, but this happens every time I try to make a new map, so I don't think it can be that. If this has been posted elsewhere, then I apologize, but I have not yet seen it.

The answer is probably obvious, but I am very, very, very new to this.

Help, please?
    Go into options, and raise the view distances. I think its model distance and clipping.

6. Post #1726
    July 2010
    222 Posts
    Go into options, and raise the view distances. I think its model distance and clipping.
    Ahhhhhhh, it was the back clipping pane.

Thanks, IronPhoenix!

7. Post #1727
    September 2010
    140 Posts
    Hey does anyone know where I can get simple transparent ice textures? Preferably ones that would fit nicely in TF2.

8. Post #1728
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    Hey does anyone know where I can get simple transparent ice textures? Preferably ones that would fit nicely in TF2.
    If you're feeling lazy... I've seen glass used?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #1729
    September 2010
    140 Posts
    If you're feeling lazy... I've seen glass used?
    Glass wasn't working so good. I got tired of looking so I tried to make my own.
    I think it turned out ok.

I wanted it for a snow-themed, Hey Arnold-inspired, TF2 map I just started.
    Here's a little pic of what I have so far:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #1730
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    Glass wasn't working so good. I got tired of looking so I tried to make my own.
    I think it turned out ok.

I wanted it for a snow-themed, Hey Arnold-inspired, TF2 map I just started.
    Here's a little pic of what I have so far:
    Not bad! Looks really good in fact. I have never mapped for TF2... So excuse the question, how did you do the stairs?

11. Post #1731
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,784 Posts

2. Whenever I texture buildings, or walls, they look very repetitive, and it just looks really bad... I am used to doing indoor CSS maps, and am trying to work on a large out door map. This is a big change for me. I use the same texture for the whole side of the building, and you can visibly see it repeat, are there any methods to make it look better? If so please let me know how. Thank you in advance.
    Graffiti, electrical boxes, vents, AC units, stains, pipes and windows usually work for things such as alleys. However, for the front of the building, I'd mainly use windows (and maybe stains, if it's a dirty urban atmosphere).

12. Post #1732
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    Graffiti, electrical boxes, vents, AC units, stains, pipes and windows usually work for things such as alleys. However, for the front of the building, I'd mainly use windows (and maybe stains, if it's a dirty urban atmosphere).
    Yeah I use drains and what not, but how would you make 3D AC units and what not?

---

3. Also, I just tried to mess around with making a TF2 map, but I spawn under the map every time... Any idea why?

13. Post #1733
    September 2010
    140 Posts
    Not bad! Looks really good in fact. I have never mapped for TF2... So excuse the question, how did you do the stairs?
    I usually make one stair the size I want (8x12) and use it as a template for the rest.

14. Post #1734
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    I usually make one stair the size I want (8x12) and use it as a template for the rest.
    Yeah I already do that, I mean the railings look kind of broken up, it looks a little weathered and has a really nice effect.

15. Post #1735
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,123 Posts
    How do I make a prop_door_rotating not usable after being opened?

16. Post #1736
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    How do I make a prop_door_rotating not usable after being opened?
    What are you going to use it for? Some context would help us better assist you.

17. Post #1737
    December 2009
    2,482 Posts
    When I compile my map with VRAD, when I look at a certain spot my game crashes. Any insight to why this might happen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #1738
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,123 Posts
    What are you going to use it for? Some context would help us better assist you.
    Oh I already fixed it about two minutes later. I always seem to fix my problems after posting in this thread.

When I compile my map with VRAD, when I look at a certain spot my game crashes. Any insight to why this might happen?

I had a problem similar to this. Do you have any func_break_surfs? You should check to make sure that they're using a valid texture for that type of entity. You could also try making a copy of your vmf rename it and remove parts of the map that is giving you problems till it's gone. Then just narrow it down.

19. Post #1739
    December 2009
    2,482 Posts
    Oh I already fixed it about two minutes later. I always seem to fix my problems after posting in this thread.

I had a problem similar to this. Do you have any func_break_surfs? You should check to make sure that they're using a valid texture for that type of entity. You could also try making a copy of your vmf rename it and remove parts of the map that is giving you problems till it's gone. Then just narrow it down.
    Well I know exactly where it is in the map, its within a house Ive made somewhere, but Im not sure where in the house it is. I dont have any func_break_surf or leaks in my map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #1740
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,123 Posts
    Well I know exactly where it is in the map, its within a house Ive made somewhere, but Im not sure where in the house it is. I dont have any func_break_surf or leaks in my map.
    I recommend just making a copy of the house (prefab) and start removing parts of it till it works.

21. Post #1741
    December 2009
    2,482 Posts
    Turned out to be an invisible prop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #1742
    August 2011
    591 Posts
    How do I make a model, a lamp specifically, change in between skins really quickly?

I want to make a lamp with a light that flickers. I want the model to change in between it's on and off state at the same pace as the light entity. How would I go about this, and is it even possible?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

23. Post #1743
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    How do I make a model, a lamp specifically, change in between skins really quickly?

I want to make a lamp with a light that flickers. I want the model to change in between it's on and off state at the same pace as the light entity. How would I go about this, and is it even possible?
    logic_timer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

24. Post #1744
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    14,840 Posts

How do I get rid of these damn lines, and stop the game from assuming I want to edit in the freecam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1745
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,697 Posts

How do I get rid of these damn lines, and stop the game from assuming I want to edit in the freecam.
    Press X.

Also turn off the 3D grid. There's a button you can click for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #1746
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,784 Posts

The same thing constantly happens to me. F8 used to work, then it was S + F9, then nothing at all. I'd just save whatever's open and restart Hammer. That always fixes it for me.

Edited:

Oh. Nevermind.
    ninjas. :u

27. Post #1747
    September 2010
    137 Posts
    I know I asked above, and I'm sorry to ask again but how would you go about making 3d objects such as AC boxes? Just props?

Edit:

Found it thank you

28. Post #1748
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,809 Posts
    What are the proper dimensions for a train track to be if I want it to be compatible with the phx train props?

29. Post #1749
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,022 Posts
    What are the proper dimensions for a train track to be if I want it to be compatible with the phx train props?
    Gap between each rail should be 80 units.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

30. Post #1750
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,494 Posts

anyone has any idea what's happening with these weird lighting blotches?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

31. Post #1751
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,171 Posts
    Try adjusting the light falloff.

32. Post #1752
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,494 Posts
    but this is from the sunlight

33. Post #1753
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,022 Posts

anyone has any idea what's happening with these weird lighting blotches?
    Are compiling -final and -bounce not set too high?

34. Post #1754
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,494 Posts
    figured it out it was smoothing groups. adding -smooth 30 fixed it

Edited:

35. Post #1755
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,022 Posts
    figured it out it was smoothing groups. adding -smooth 30 fixed it

Edited:

Hmph, well I guess it makes sense because of how VRad works.

At least you haven't had your normals butchered by vbsp like I have with the alien swarm deferred stuff.

36. Post #1756
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,389 Posts
    How do you turn while selecting faces in the displacement windows? I'm trying to subdivide a tunnel and I can't select some faces due to me not being able to turn...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #1757
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,022 Posts
    How do you turn while selecting faces in the displacement windows? I'm trying to subdivide a tunnel and I can't select some faces due to me not being able to turn...
    Hold space and click in the viewport.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #1758
    I love liberals, they make me so fucking hard I just want to cum all over the place while fucking a pony.
    January 2008
    4,463 Posts
    how do you get a door to rotate on an angle?

for example I want this cellar door to rotate on its proper angle as a func door opposed to just the Y axis

Open
    Closed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

39. Post #1759
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,022 Posts
    how do you get a door to rotate on an angle?

for example I want this cellar door to rotate on its proper angle as a func door opposed to just the Y axis

Open
    Closed
    func_rotating with the angle set to your brush angle (it's going to be difficult unless you kept to common grid angles such as 1:1 1:2 1:4 etc.)

40. Post #1760
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH

July 2009
    3,955 Posts
    How can you effectively parent a prop_physics object to a func_tracktrain? I tried the method described here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Prop_physics
    Code:
    prop_physics can be parented if the 'parentname' value is manually added with smartedit turned off. Parenting prop_physics can be unpleasant and buggy in some situations.
    But I am not getting any results.