1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    10,980 Posts
    I still wish the League of Legends/RTS gamemode I was talking to balto/cop about was a reality.

The idea starts with you placing on a map, and from that base infantry spawns. The NPCs which spawn can only be controlled in very basic fashion. You tell the troops to patrol an area radius. This of course still won't be limited to how big the Patrol Radius is... But moving on. The infantry's goal is to kill the enemy base and the enemies contraptions. If not given a patrol radius they'll do their own thing and wander around looking for enemies or just doing idle movements. The types of infantry are as followed.

SMG - Armed with SMG's for attacking Players/Other Infantry
    RPG - Armed with an RPG which takes out/damages contraptions, fortifications, and strategic bases.

All though basic, the infantry will pour out in mass numbers. No resources, no tickets, no bullcrap... Just a steady slow stream of death which will continue to move around in it's own fashion or under patrol orders from the 'Hero'.

Which brings me to the next part... Who's the Hero? Is it some sort of playermodel with mysterious ways or some evil god which does mind control? No. The 'Hero' is the player. Actually... In RTS terms. The Player is, the hero, the support class, the commander, the engineer... Everything. It's up to the tactics of the player to decide what they want to do. If your unable to follow what I'm saying[being that I'm half awake], the player designs contraptions, fortifications, strategic emplacements, and everything to aid their troops in destroying the enemy base or defending their own.

As it goes though... Some restrictions must be placed! But nothing that will harm the creativity and tactical know how of Garry's Modders. These restrictions will be incredibly basic. You can only spawn props in your base. Heavy props can't be lifted outside your base, and of course... Your contraptions will be timed on spawning. 1 Ton = 2-4 Seconds added on spawn time. This stops players from spawning super mega-death rape machines, and gives the only if any resource-type limit to the game.

What do you build though...? Anything. Like I said earlier... What it takes to win. Wanna para-drop NPCs? You can build an aircraft with a Warmelon-alike launcher system. Wanna use your tanks to move up the lines and attack enemy strong points? You can do it. Wanna do unconventional warfare with landmines? Do it. How about something non-violent... Like making a bridge across a river to give your NPC's a quicker route to the enemy base/frontlines. It can be done.

It's all tactics, and transporting supplies to where needed. Everything is determined by the map, and the creativity of the builder.

Sorry if this isn't exactly WIP... Just making an idea guy suggestion for an ACF gamemode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    I felt quite hesitant to post my amateurish creations here after seeing all the awesome and complex stuff people have showcased here, but here is something I'm personally happy for after playing for 3 weeks:

A vertically stable thruster-only jet airplane, Aerojet Beta 2.1 ("Beta" because it's not finished yet)

I have always loved planes IRL, and they're mostly the reason I play Gmod. However, most of the planes I've seen use either some sort of an automatic hovering system and/or fin. Although planes with hoverballs and fin fly really well, they never felt quite realistic to me in terms of 'the touch' when controlling them. I wanted to counteract this trend by attempting to make a plane with thrusters only (I was inclined to stabilize it with a gyroscope and vector thrusters but I decided against it later on).

I have succeeded in vertically stabilizing the plane with only 1 thruster that is aligned with the bottom of the plane in a 45-degree angle. This means that I can release the plane in midair with the main thrusters on, and although it would slowly fall, it's pitch would stay stabilized through the entire journey, enabling smooth landings.

Here is the erratic cockpit interface I've managed to scrap together so far:

- There are basically 6 screens here, although only one of them, the altitude indicator, is actually important if you aim to make smooth landings. Note that the altitude here shows negative values due to the map design of gm_bigcity; it's optimized for gm_flatgrass. Moreover, I had to divide the GPS-sensor's Z-value by 50 in order to get the altitude to display in meters.

- The velocity screen shows, well, your velocity (in KM/H). Due to speed caps the plane can't really go past 133 KPH on regular servers.

- The 'ANGLR VLCT' is an abbreviation of angular velocity which should show the plane's world XYZ-velocity in radians per second (not sure about the exact time unit, I assume it's a second). This is of no practical use, but it makes you look overall more tech-savvy when flying it.

- The screen with the two values, pitch and roll, get their values from the gyroscope attached to the back of the plane. These can be useful if you aim to make a long vertical flight, because the roll has to be as close to zero as possible, and the pitch has to be just a tad bit above 0. I still use my eyes more though, but the screen serves some aesthetic value nonetheless.

In the middle column you can see two screens which act as certain types of radars, although the bottom screen is an oscilloscope, thus not technically a radar. The top radar is an E2 code linked on an EGP monitor, but note: I did not make the code, I just asked my friend to do it. E2-coding is still way too complicated for me, thus I don't want to take any credit for the radar. The radar's range is 20 000 by default, and it shows any other players in the range as thick red dots. In the picture it shows none though because it was single-player.

The bottom radar is an oscilloscope that shows the plane's position in the world's XY-dimensions as a moving dot (which you can see later). This was achieved by attaching a GPS-sensor on the plane and dividing its X and Y values with numbers around 13 000 -15 500, depending on the map. On gm_flatgrass, the approximate division values were 13500 for X and 15500 for Y (or vice versa, I don't exactly remember).

Pictures of the plane in action:

Cockpit view #1

Cockpit view #2 (Note the oscilloscope showing the plane's current XY-location and its past trajectory)

Camera view #1

Camera view #2

Future plans: Add an alerting sound system whenever the plane's roll or pitch exceeds 90 degrees, and a beeping sound indicator if the altitude is lower than 10 meters with the main thrusters on.

Only problems I'm having with it are constraints gone bad due to duping it. The wheels especially like to go limp after just a few dupes, but I guess these are natural issues. When I consider the plane done, I will have to re-weld it thoroughly.

The plane itself isn't really that great, but I hope I at least made this an interesting read for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner x 10Dumb x 2Friendly x 2Optimistic x 2Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,848 Posts
    you could make a jet fighter cause it looks like b-1 lancer and su 29 mixed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    you could make a jet fighter cause it looks like b-1 lancer and su 29 mixed.
    Any suggestions what kind of weaponry to add and how? I don't really know what to do apart from static turrets and/or missile prop spawners.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,848 Posts
    At least have some sort of gun so it can defend it self at least. For air superiority, AIM 9 missiles etc.
    But the plane looks like a ground attacker so bombs and AT missiles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #86
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    Tiny tiny exploding soda cans attached to balloons.

Also that's very nice; you're doing great for the experience you have. After 3 weeks my best contraption was a two-piston steam engine using connas stools that looked like shit. Prop spawners and applyforce make good non-acf missiles (I don't see a lot of ACF dogfights tbh), and an alternative for altitude is just leaving a GPS on the ground and subtracting its Z from the current Z you have. Kinda cheap but it works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    JDB
    July 2007
    2,843 Posts
    Cockpits page
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #88

July 2008
    850 Posts
    jaydeebee is a thief
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    JDB
    July 2007
    2,843 Posts
    jaydeebee is a thief
    oh yeah
    you made that speedo and attitude thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #90
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts

my most advanced tank to date, going to be my new MBT. it's hideous but its looks are completely governed by its function.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,486 Posts
    That's a beautiful tnak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #92
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    872 Posts

my most advanced tank to date, going to be my new MBT. it's hideous but its looks are completely governed by its function.
    Random question: why would you put radials in a tnak?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #93
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    because they're lightweight and compact, except for height. running 855 horsepower outta that. total powerpack weight, gearbox excluded is about 1 ton.

as you can see, because of the radials' height, i had to put the gearbox midship and make the turret rather high.

this is why i make so many tanks with acf; they're an engineering challenge. i'd say there's more fun in designing and building them rather than using them.

Edited:

early war shermans, m3 lees, stuarts, and hellcats all used radials in ww2, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    872 Posts
    because they're lightweight and compact, except for height. running 855 horsepower outta that. total powerpack weight, gearbox excluded is about 1 ton.

as you can see, because of the radials' height, i had to put the gearbox midship and make the turret rather high.

this is why i make so many tanks with acf; they're an engineering challenge. i'd say there's more fun in designing and building them rather than using them.

Edited:

early war shermans, m3 lees, stuarts, and hellcats all used radials in ww2, too.
    While we are talking about acf............................................... ...

How on earth are you making ANYTHING useful with them? I try making trucks and crawlers (and my beetle) with them, but it's basically useless... what I need is a low gear, and some drive gears, but if I try making the gears on ACF low it just sort of spazzes and makes funny repeating noises, if I try to tune it better, I'm stuck on the same spot, and higher gears don't do anything...

I'm just not getting anywhere with them (proof in Alteran's video of us making a C304) and it's not "realistic" enough for gmod.

I want to press "W" and go forward and the car listens...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,486 Posts
    Use the clutch, Luke.

Edited:

Use the clutch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    872 Posts
    Use the clutch, Luke.

Edited:

Use the clutch.
    Yeah, and the engine builds up rpm, and the whole thing breaks -.-

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,848 Posts
    if you need help i got an e2 for you.

18. Post #98
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    While we are talking about acf............................................... ...

How on earth are you making ANYTHING useful with them? I try making trucks and crawlers (and my beetle) with them, but it's basically useless... what I need is a low gear, and some drive gears, but if I try making the gears on ACF low it just sort of spazzes and makes funny repeating noises, if I try to tune it better, I'm stuck on the same spot, and higher gears don't do anything...

I'm just not getting anywhere with them (proof in Alteran's video of us making a C304) and it's not "realistic" enough for gmod.

I want to press "W" and go forward and the car listens...
    because your vehicles need to be between 1 and 5 tons, not fucking 50

19. Post #99
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    872 Posts
    uhm... I usually never pass 2 tonns when I'm building...

20. Post #100
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    Engines are too mainstream, I use E2. That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. /hipster

Also isn't it kind of cheating to put your drivewheels inside your armor? It's a nice tank, I like the turret. Very compact.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    10,980 Posts

Minge Tank Turret? or Minge Battleship Turret...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    July 2010
    74 Posts
    New thread? WAT? Besides finding ridiculous songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKO9h-gG4Qg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvalWJntmd4 I've got my lazy ass to start finishing my mustang.

The color looks like shit I know that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Lithuania Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,597 Posts
    Haha, that took a long time. I think I remember seeing pictures of it back from V2 when we had the contraption section. Looks good, I love the lines of it and the vents on the side. And I can see it's Mustang, though it doesn't seem to relate all too much to it. Is it a special version that I haven't heard of or something (mind sharing ref picture if you have one?). Looks good, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

24. Post #104
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    Engines are too mainstream, I use E2. That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. /hipster

Also isn't it kind of cheating to put your drivewheels inside your armor? It's a nice tank, I like the turret. Very compact.
    cheating? no. they're not acf components.

25. Post #105
    January 2010
    211 Posts
    I'm building a KV-1

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Brazil Show Events Artistic x 5Useful x 2Optimistic x 1Winner x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    June 2011
    201 Posts

I Couldn't have said that any better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

27. Post #107
    November 2010
    21 Posts
    if you need help i got an e2 for you.
    Please do and My tank thing I was working on is lost with a million other projects because of a hdd crash I should have spent the extra $$$ to get a reliable hdd.

28. Post #108
    Bestest polish IFAPer
    February 2007
    4,914 Posts
    PT-91 kinda thing

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Useful Useful x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    I <3 OTTERS~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    9,935 Posts
    I'm building a house of crates. Currently I have 4 of them, I know it's not as cool as the stuff you guys make but it's still something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    Watermelon pulverization facility

Because why the fuck not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic x 10Dumb x 7Funny x 6Winner x 4Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,216 Posts
    That is a revolutionary advancement in gmod technology. Thank you for your research into effective melon destruction devices.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    Perhaps we can power tnaks with melon fusion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    July 2007
    27 Posts
    So I've been trying for 2 days now to get the tools listed in the op and gmod.org is still down. What is goin on? Does anybody have mirrors or would like to repackage them?

I'm tryin to get the fading door tool, makesphereical, Karbine's multiparent, no colloide all, and Wenli's Tools.

34. Post #114
    August 2009
    599 Posts

Edited:

Wait until turbines release, and have a power pack like the Honeywell AGT1500 on an M1 Abrams.

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,597 Posts
    So I've been trying for 2 days now to get the tools listed in the op and gmod.org is still down. What is goin on? Does anybody have mirrors or would like to repackage them?

I'm tryin to get the fading door tool, makesphereical, Karbine's multiparent, no colloide all, and Wenli's Tools.
    I can mirror the files in the OP onto a dropbox, just not sure how the owners of the addons feels like with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    10,980 Posts
    Perhaps we can power tnaks with melon fusion
    Welp. Time to make a Melon Tank... BRB.

37. Post #117
    July 2007
    27 Posts
    I can mirror the files in the OP onto a dropbox, just not sure how the owners of the addons feels like with that.
    Actually, I got on about 10 minutes ago and it came back up. I managed to grab them, and forgot to post. Thanks though :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    R. Lee Ermey would be proud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    CON-VOOOOOOOOOOOYYY!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    10,980 Posts
    Yup. Someone needs to seriously make that LoL gamemode so that truck has some serious uses. By the way, how much weight[before dragging] can be loaded on her?