1. Post #2561
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    If I can catch Wenli online, I'll ask him to release Eyecam when he updates PA for GMod 13. It's a client-side camera with wire I/O, no lag at all, and fixes all the "horizon lock" issues.

Also, I have the plates all re-textured, should have the tris/cubes done today too. I am however hesitant to re-size the 6x6 material grid, because then it wont line up on the 6x, 18x, 30x, 42x props, a problem phx doesn't have because it doesn't have these sizes.

Default/New UVW/Old UVW
    awww yis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2562
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,482 Posts
    If I can catch Wenli online, I'll ask him to release Eyecam when he updates PA for GMod 13. It's a client-side camera with wire I/O, no lag at all, and fixes all the "horizon lock" issues.

Also, I have the plates all re-textured, should have the tris/cubes done today too. I am however hesitant to re-size the 6x6 material grid, because then it wont line up on the 6x, 18x, 30x, 42x props, a problem phx doesn't have because it doesn't have these sizes.

Default/New UVW/Old UVW
    Talks about how much effort it would take to retexture all his props, effectively undoing months of work, then this.

Damn, why can't more people be as dedicated as you are?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #2563
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    i wouldn't say he's undoing anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #2564
    August 2009
    1,108 Posts
    Dedicated is nice way of saying nothing better to do. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #2565
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    i think you should make an assortment of realistic-ish wheels for sprops :)
    we really need non-shiny decent texturing tires; REALLY need truck-tires like you find on semis and old military trucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2566

August 2012
    3 Posts
    Hi guys,
    Sorry, i know it's the wrong thread but i don't want to make a thread for this :
    Please someone can teach me how make a simple vehicle with acf, i tried everything my vehicle don't move but the engine work.
    Please help me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #2567
    September 2010
    67 Posts
    Hi guys,
    Sorry, i know it's the wrong thread but i don't want to make a thread for this :
    Please someone can teach me how make a simple vehicle with acf, i tried everything my vehicle don't move but the engine work.
    Please help me
    check out the ACF mobility tutorial thread. http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1132792
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

8. Post #2568

July 2008
    850 Posts
    more bike

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #2569
    November 2009
    114 Posts
    WIP Go-cart, 250 cc 4 spd, 237 kg, hits 50 mph (eventually) Just pretty fun to drive...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #2570

September 2011
    107 Posts
    My new vehicle. Pretty much just eyballed the props so it's nothing great but it goes great.
    4x4, Acf I4, basic auto trans and rev counter I made, and some backfiring :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #2571
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,428 Posts
    Frankly, the backfiring is what sells it for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

12. Post #2572
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,482 Posts
    I just love the fact that it's sliding around everywhere like it's on some rainy offroad rally course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2573
    November 2005
    511 Posts
    That acceleration! What is your gear ratio?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2574
    November 2009
    114 Posts
    AAnd how much does it weigh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #2575
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    fuck that rally car is awesome. function over form always wins. what map is that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #2576
    November 2009
    114 Posts
    FINALLY getting the hang of this ACF thing!

Got this up to 80 MPH with a 3.1 L diesel and 35 size tires, and it is supposed to become a truck.....
    Weighs 1370 and almost hits 40 in 1st with this gearing...............
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #2577
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    870 Posts
    Just asking... How many would be interested in a dedicated offroad addon, with a physical_properties grip material and other useful stuff?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

18. Post #2578
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,428 Posts
    I'd be interested in any sort of addon that added grip to my tires, anything that can replicate the traction of caterpillar tracks without actually having tracks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #2579
    November 2009
    114 Posts
    Definitely me, some good off road tires would be nice, realistic ones with a nice texture.
    I'm thinking of modeling some of those.

Edited:

Ok, i'm starting. I think. Maybe. What tread pattern would be nice?

20. Post #2580
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    870 Posts
    Definitely me, some good off road tires would be nice, realistic ones with a nice texture.
    I'm thinking of modeling some of those.

Edited:

Ok, i'm starting. I think. Maybe. What tread pattern would be nice?
    Oh, Oh! Could you please make those tyres that the old jeep and old military trucks used?
    I'm really missing those!

I just have to figure out how to add the material into physprop_materials list... then I think I should be good.

And just to let you know a couple of things... Normal rubber has a friction base of 0.8, Jeeptyre 1.337, Jalopytyre is exaclty the same as Jeeptyre...

What I am making has a friction of 1337, meaning effectivly a hundred times as much as Jeeptyre, and is also soundless.

Right... this is not a final release: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9062018/Off...nhancement.zip

The way this works: I've failed to locate what list.add function name physprop materials have, so I was unable to add it to the list, instead I added it to presets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

21. Post #2581
    August 2009
    1,108 Posts
    One annoying thing with off-road wheels is trying to keep the polygon count low. All of the little knobs and stuff really adds up.
    Even something as simple and ugly as this is over 1000.

Jalopytyre is exaclty the same as Jeeptyre...
    If I remember right they have different elasticity values though, don't they? I am also pretty sure I read that in GMod 13 there is more control over physprop materials.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #2582
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    870 Posts
    They do have different elasticity, that's why jalopytyre tends to skid more than jeeptyre.

23. Post #2583

September 2011
    107 Posts
    Thanks guys. I also finally got around to figuring out PA and put the hydraulics/elastics attached to the base prop higher up in the middle of nowhere. Keeps the mass centre low which is a problem I was having before

what map is that?
    Map is gm_damnbuild_r18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_GkEKfJnjI

I just love the fact that it's sliding around everywhere like it's on some rainy offroad rally course.
    The brakes lock up the wheels, and wheel spin is fairly common. :D

That acceleration! What is your gear ratio?
    Final Drive is 0.4 and has the 8 speed. All the gears are pretty close. Goes from 0.8 to 2.4 I believe

AAnd how much does it weigh?
    Weighs 1164
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

24. Post #2584
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    650 Posts
    Waddya mean 2.4? You can't slide ratios past 1, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2585
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    you don't NEED anything past 1

Edited:

They do have different elasticity, that's why jalopytyre tends to skid more than jeeptyre.
    yes, jeeptire and jalopytire have different grip levels
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

26. Post #2586
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    5000rpm phx racewheels...dat speed...

27. Post #2587
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    650 Posts

Edited:

Thats not even my point! How does one even set their ratios above one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

28. Post #2588
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,986 Posts
    Made the base for my truck. Handles the course alright, Now I just need to make it look good, Slap on a few cameras and hope I didn't miss the competition before I'm done.

Fucking thrusters making my wheels spin. I'll probably replace it with an e2 if I can be bothered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #2589

September 2011
    107 Posts
    Sorry people. I ment 0.08 and 0.24
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #2590
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    does anyone have the joystick module, and if so can they upload it?

Edited:

wait found it in the thread

http://www.speedyshare.com/SxQ8j/joy...-2-release.zip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2591
    March 2009
    311 Posts

Edited:

What?
    no!
    scripts/...
    surfaceproperties.txt
    Code:
    "jeeptire"
    {
    	"base"			"rubber"

"bulletimpact"	"Rubber_Tire.BulletImpact"
    	"impacthard"	"Rubber_Tire.ImpactHard"
    	"impactsoft"	"Rubber_Tire.ImpactSoft"

//	"strain"		"Rubber_Tire.Strain"

"friction"		"1.337"
    }
    surfaceproperties_ep2.txt
    Code:
    "jalopytire"
    {
    	"base"			"jeeptire"
    	"elasticity"		"0.1"
    }
    Exactly the same.. but with less elasticity

o ya btw:
    Code:
    "phx_rubbertire"
    {
    	"base"			"rubber"

"strain"		"Phx_Rubber_Tire.Strain"

"scraperough"	"Phx_Rubber_Tire.Strain"
    	"scrapesmooth"	"Phx_Rubber_Tire.Strain"

"friction"		"3.0"
    }
    "phx_rubbertire2"
    {
    	"base"			"rubber"

"strain"		"Phx_Rubber_Tire.Strain"

"scraperough"	"Phx_Rubber_Tire.Strain"
    	"scrapesmooth"	"Phx_Rubber_Tire.Strain"

"friction"		"5.0"
    }
    but that Sound is annoying...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

32. Post #2592
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    870 Posts
    That's exactly why I made my own one.

Code:
    "grip"
    {
            "base"                  "dirt"
            "density"               "5000"
            "friction"              "1337"

"impacthard"            "Rubber.ImpactHard"
            "impactsoft"            "Rubber.ImpactSoft"
            "bulletimpact"          "Rubber.BulletImpact"
    }
    The high density is to make the wheels more oblivious to drag and make it so that you'll get mroe grip...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9062018/Off...nhancement.zip
    This is the latest update, fixed some stuff. Just in addon form so that server admins don't have to take their server apart to add it...

Jalopytyre and Jeeptyre does not have equal grip, but they do have exactly the same friction. It's the elasticity that makes them different.
    Jeeptyre has elasticity 0.2 and Jalopytyre has 0.1 meaning that according to the source engine Jalopytyre is softer. Unfortunately Source
    does not calculate more softness to be equal more grip, but rather less.

33. Post #2593
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    elasticity is what creates the grip. jeeptire has less grip than jalopy tire. i really don't feel like making a video to prove this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #2594
    August 2011
    157 Posts
    That's exactly why I made my own one.

Code:
    "grip"
    {
            "base"                  "dirt"
            "density"               "5000"
            "friction"              "1337"

"impacthard"            "Rubber.ImpactHard"
            "impactsoft"            "Rubber.ImpactSoft"
            "bulletimpact"          "Rubber.BulletImpact"
    }
    The high density is to make the wheels more oblivious to drag and make it so that you'll get mroe grip...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9062018/Off...nhancement.zip
    This is the latest update, fixed some stuff. Just in addon form so that server admins don't have to take their server apart to add it...

Jalopytyre and Jeeptyre does not have equal grip, but they do have exactly the same friction. It's the elasticity that makes them different.
    Jeeptyre has elasticity 0.2 and Jalopytyre has 0.1 meaning that according to the source engine Jalopytyre is softer. Unfortunately Source
    does not calculate more softness to be equal more grip, but rather less.
    I have been trying to do this for a hour. I love you :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #2595
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    870 Posts
    In every test I've made with both of them, Jeeptyre has won every time.

Nuff said I've made a better one.

What I really want to do is to add a vehicle override that changes the animations of of all the seats to "drive_jeep", which would remove the up and down movement of the arms,
    and instead make them move like there was a steering wheel in front.

This:
    if 	util.IsValidModel( "models/props_phx/carseat3.mdl" ) then		
    local V = { 	
    				Name = "Car Seat 3", 
    				Class = "prop_vehicle_prisoner_pod",
    				Category = "PhoeniX-Storms",
    				Author = "PhoeniX-Storms",
    				Information = "PHX Airboat Seat Animation 3",
    				Model = "models/props_phx/carseat3.mdl",
    				Animation = "drive_jeep",
    				KeyValues = {
    								vehiclescript	=	"scripts/vehicles/prisoner_pod.txt"
    							}
    			}
    list.Set( "Vehicles", "phx_seat3", V )
    end

needs to be made for every vehicle model... and put into lua/autorun...

Also, I do believe that the airboat animation could be used for motorcycle seats.

36. Post #2596
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    so i really have to make a video, god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #2597
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    870 Posts
    I'll take back my statement if you prove me wrong, though every test that I have conducted has lead
    to jeeptyre being the superior.

38. Post #2598
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts

eat your own disagrees and dumbs

Edited:

i usually use jalopytire on front wheels and jeeptire on rear to cull understeer, and opposite to control oversteer. it's very noticeable, especially with heavy wheels. less bounce equals more grip under suspension oscillation/load, especially with non-sphere wheels
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 4Zing x 3Useful x 1Dumb x 1Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #2599
    Contron's Favourite Foxy
    May 2007
    1,237 Posts
    Why did you set the back material to jalopy tire? It's very unlikely you're going to be going on a surface with the same elasticity and friction as the wheel itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2600
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    back surface is irrelevant, it's only set to jalopytire so they don't slide all the way down in the test

Edited:

think of it this way. Cars have shock absorbers to dampen the oscillation of a spring. when a spring oscillates freely, it transfers energy in the opposite direction, reducing the load of whatever's connected to the spring. A dampener will store this energy that is trying to be reverberated back into the load on the spring, causing whatever is attached to the spring to slow its oscillation because the energy is returned at a slower rate.

this is what wheels do with jeeptire when they're under duress of cornering. the wheel will minutely oscillate on its own physical property and slightly reduce grip, this is why it's noticeable in over/understeer and launching from a standstill. jalopy/jeep have the same amount of grip but one can maintain its grip slightly better than the other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)