1. Post #321
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,597 Posts

Finally finished my buggy thing, thus placing one car on my build record, which now consists of one car, one tank, a few copters, and thousands of planes
    Your picture is broken Balto and I'd love to see it. I love buggies, made a small one some time ago. (picture works now)

Edited:
    fuCKING hell, pageking again without content. Will post content when I get home.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

2. Post #322
    January 2010
    814 Posts
    I used makespherical for my tires, now when I turn them at high speed they lean sideways like hell. Any fix for that?

Oh and I use ACF engine and transmission.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

3. Post #323
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,597 Posts
    I used makespherical for my tires, now when I turn them at high speed they lean sideways like hell. Any fix for that?

Oh and I use ACF engine and transmission.
    Stiffen your suspension, that's the only real way to get around that. Keep the center gravity on a relatively low level. It's basically because if you have a high weight vehicle, the weight gets thrown to the side due to the laws of physics. When it gets thrown to the side, you start putting a lot of weight on the spheres so the vehicle tries to ride on the side of the wheel, as it's a sphere.
    My cars are about 1.4 tons (except my Scania, had to use like 3.6 tons on that thing) so I get a realistic amount of tilt when I turn it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #324
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    that stug is a boat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #325
    January 2010
    814 Posts
    Stiffen your suspension, that's the only real way to get around that. Keep the center gravity on a relatively low level. It's basically because if you have a high weight vehicle, the weight gets thrown to the side due to the laws of physics. When it gets thrown to the side, you start putting a lot of weight on the spheres so the vehicle tries to ride on the side of the wheel, as it's a sphere.
    My cars are about 1.4 tons (except my Scania, had to use like 3.6 tons on that thing) so I get a realistic amount of tilt when I turn it.
    Well, I made my car lighter and moved the engine to the center, seem's to have fixed the problem.

By the way, I'm using mrwhites tutorial for the suspension. It's great, but is there a more advanced tutorial/method available?

6. Post #326
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,597 Posts
    Well, I made my car lighter and moved the engine to the center, seem's to have fixed the problem.

By the way, I'm using mrwhites tutorial for the suspension. It's great, but is there a more advanced tutorial/method available?
    I'm to an extend also using that method, I find it working the best for regular cars. I believe most other tutorials on YouTube uses the same systems as White, just horribly less optimized.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #327
    April 2009
    379 Posts
    botestug 2012

we will not be stopped
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #328
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,482 Posts
    Quick question regarding the future of ACF Mobility; Is there ever going to be a fix for the low-gear spazzing? How about the built in stall prevention? I mean seriously, if i am to use this system, I want it to behave predictably. if I shift into forth and drop the clutch on an idling engine, it shouldn't sit there and keep idling. it needs to die. That's how it works.

Just wondering because my gearbox E2 manages both of these with ease, and it is really the only major thing (besides the immense amount of fun) keeping me from switching to ACF. it's just too limited compared to a thruster engine as far as I can see it.

Also, it destroys my GMod install, particularly SmartSnap.

9. Post #329
    November 2009
    114 Posts
    I believe there is some type of auto clutch system built into ACF, which is fine by me but there should be a way to turn it off.

10. Post #330
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    Alright so I've been messing with planes enough for the time being and I would like to try building some very basic cars with proper engines. I already followed MrWhite's engine tutorial and I found it really helpful, but I have no idea how to link an engine to wheels. Any good tutorials for that? :)

11. Post #331
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,482 Posts
    I am just starting to feel cornered as an engine builder with this ACF stuff a lot of people are trying to shove down my throat. I feel like if I don't make the switch, I get the reputation of building lag-inducing pieces of shit, and if I do, all fun I had with engines grinds to a halt, and I lose features that I otherwise had, such as proper gearbox function.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #332
    February 2012
    24 Posts
    This is a little Trophy Truck i have been working on, really liking how its turning out.

edit:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skyline...254223596143/?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

13. Post #333
    November 2011
    4,739 Posts
    This is a little Trophy Truck i have been working on, really liking how its turning out.

edit:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skyline...254223596143/?
    That looks great man, use a different material though, if you find one.

14. Post #334
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    Interesting vid of a Sherman tank bogie. Classic American steel; it's simple design has a lot of small traits which make it one of the finest pieces of suspension engineering ever developed. If you're going to make an early- to mid-war American tank, it should have this. These are defining characteristics of the design. It'd be like having a tiger tank that didn't have overlapping roadwheels or an Abrams with a diesel sound.

Also, using holo for the gun barrel recoil is absolute genius. I tried to make holo tank tracks, but it didn't work out so well. Lots of ops, lots of renderlag due to parenting issues. The lag on parented holo angles pisses me off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,361 Posts
    I am just starting to feel cornered as an engine builder with this ACF stuff a lot of people are trying to shove down my throat. I feel like if I don't make the switch, I get the reputation of building lag-inducing pieces of shit, and if I do, all fun I had with engines grinds to a halt, and I lose features that I otherwise had, such as proper gearbox function.
    Meanwhile... I'm considering switching to thruster/forcer engines, only problem is I don't know how I'd power the wheels then... :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

16. Post #336

April 2011
    33 Posts
    Also, using holo for the gun barrel recoil is absolute genius. I tried to make holo tank tracks, but it didn't work out so well. Lots of ops, lots of renderlag due to parenting issues. The lag on parented holo angles pisses me off.
    Hmm i had my e2 done by Badger130, one of the fellow co-owners on the server and also a WWII nut now thanks to me (hehe..) Maybe it would be worth the time to talk to him someday?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

17. Post #337
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,482 Posts
    Meanwhile... I'm considering switching to thruster/forcer engines, only problem is I don't know how I'd power the wheels then... :v
    Advanced ballsocket
    Code:
    Xmin -0.1
    XMax 0.1
    Ymin -0.1
    Ymax 0.1
    Zmin -0.1
    Zmax 0.1

free movement checked
    From the crankshaft to whatever output you want, be it the back wheels, a tube connected to a pile of gears, or to a plate that an E2 picks up and uses like a transmission. Many more options than ACF.

18. Post #338
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    I feel ya. I get annoyed with the constant "why don't you use engines!?!" and people ramming it down my throat. They're not bad, but I don't get what all the hype is about.
    Also, your engines don't seem like the type to create tons of lag. As far as engines go yours seem to be the least-laggy most-powerful most-practical out there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #339
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,361 Posts
    Advanced ballsocket
    Code:
    Xmin -0.1
    XMax 0.1
    Ymin -0.1
    Ymax 0.1
    Zmin -0.1
    Zmax 0.1

free movement checked
    From the crankshaft to whatever output you want, be it the back wheels, a tube connected to a pile of gears, or to a plate that an E2 picks up and uses like a transmission. Many more options than ACF.
    I'm shit at e2, I tried building it with gears but it simply didn't work...

and that is how I gave up..

20. Post #340
    November 2011
    4,739 Posts
    it's kinda like saying you cant build a fin controlled plane because there's e2 and other easier methods

(which is stupid)

in case you're understanding me wrong, i completely agree with what you're saying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,482 Posts
    Hey, take it up with server owners who discriminate against people like me. I just want to have fun doing what I like in a game that allows me to. If that's not possible, it's time for me to find a different game.

I really don't want to have to do that.

22. Post #342
    February 2012
    24 Posts
    That looks great man, use a different material though, if you find one.
    what material would you recommend? i didn't paint the truck yet, just some basic stuff and thats it

23. Post #343
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,597 Posts
    God, I just learnt that I seriously need to store my duplications on another drive. My computer was close to getting overvolted due to my mother accidentally spraying water into my wall-socket. Shit went *POOF* and my mother got a bit of a shock (literally, she got in touch with the water). Nothing seems to have happened but my computer kept trying to restart itself after all of it. Seems to work, just had to swap some stuff inside the computer out.
    It made a very nice lightshow though, I'll give it that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #344
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,482 Posts
    Replace your power supply, and possibly your motherboard, as soon as possible to prevent possible problems arising in any of your other components. I'm sure your power supply is on the verge of failure after something like that, but it may have affected the motherboard adversely as well.

What was your mother doing spraying water near the wall socket?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,597 Posts
    Replace your power supply, and possibly your motherboard, as soon as possible to prevent possible problems arising in any of your other components. I'm sure your power supply is on the verge of failure after something like that, but it may have affected the motherboard adversely as well.

What was your mother doing spraying water near the wall socket?
    Computer was in GMod because I was doing some stuff. Nothing actually happened to the computer when the water came into the socket, other than a massive pop coming from the socket and sparks everywhere.
    Already changed the power supply as it seems that there was some blackish ash on the side. Can't really tell if it's from overvolting or just regular tearing. Probably the latter because nothing seems to have happened to the computer components, tried opening up the side and there was no visual damage. Also still runs the same, memtest reports no errors.

My mother apparently thought that my socket switch was all dirty and wanted to clean it. I would have done it with just a moist sponge but my mother took the heavy arsenal of a massive spraycan with soapish water inside. It was apparently not set the correct way so instead of the waterandsoap beam going straight, it went downwards and directly into the socket.
    I don't think anything has actually happened though. A fuse went the second that the whole thing sparked and went poof so I think there never got too much electricity to the computer (hopefully).

Edited:

dicks, now Steam is acting up giving me some strange errors and won't let me in. Time for another restart and see if it fixes itself, or I'll have to do stuff with it.

26. Post #346
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    I find making planes in particular fly with E2 in a realistic manner to be infinitely more difficult than fin. Especially since simple angular alteration + base force method will make your controls lock up at 65mph...I feel like a MiG-15 approaching the sound barrier. It's not a good feeling.

If I someday get motivated again, I'll probably make an E2 fin chip, so I can play with planes on servers that don't have fin. It's kind of constraining that I only use wire as my only addon, but it does provide a wonderful challenge.

Edited:

Also you need to plug your mother into your power supply.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #347
    November 2011
    4,739 Posts
    I find making planes in particular fly with E2 in a realistic manner to be infinitely more difficult than fin. Especially since simple angular alteration + base force method will make your controls lock up at 65mph...I feel like a MiG-15 approaching the sound barrier. It's not a good feeling.

If I someday get motivated again, I'll probably make an E2 fin chip, so I can play with planes on servers that don't have fin. It's kind of constraining that I only use wire as my only addon, but it does provide a wonderful challenge.

Edited:

Also you need to plug your mother into your power supply.
    if that was meant as a reply to my post, you understood it completely wrong

28. Post #348
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    Quick question regarding the future of ACF Mobility; Is there ever going to be a fix for the low-gear spazzing? How about the built in stall prevention? I mean seriously, if i am to use this system, I want it to behave predictably. if I shift into forth and drop the clutch on an idling engine, it shouldn't sit there and keep idling. it needs to die. That's how it works.

Just wondering because my gearbox E2 manages both of these with ease, and it is really the only major thing (besides the immense amount of fun) keeping me from switching to ACF. it's just too limited compared to a thruster engine as far as I can see it.

Also, it destroys my GMod install, particularly SmartSnap.
    there is an autoclutch. also, gmod engines don't stall. they make maximum torque between 0 and 20 rpm like an electric motor or turbine, and have no significant powerband (there is only a "powerband" from constraint strain)

29. Post #349
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,482 Posts
    Disregarding the points you made about thruster engines, that autoclutch is exactly what I'm talking about. Why do we not have control of the clutch? I simply cannot see me using ACF unless I have more control of what's going on.

30. Post #350
    Hey, take it up with server owners who discriminate against people like me. I just want to have fun doing what I like in a game that allows me to. If that's not possible, it's time for me to find a different game.

I really don't want to have to do that.
    Server Owners discriminate against anyone who causes server performance to hit rock bottom

I know this from experience, just play somewhere else if they're bothering you, just that garrysmod has such horrendous networking since even though both server and client may have more than enough bandwidth to put all the shit through the pipes, and the rates to cope with it somewhere it clogs up and starts choking and pings spike.
    I really hope gmod 13 can alleviate some of this, it doesn't make any sense.

There really should be a way to turn off the inbuilt autoclutch in ACF though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #351
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    if 4 sliders, 4 ropes, a crankshaft, a box, and an E2 lag a server, it's the fault of the server. Or the game.

Shit back in the day we ran engines with big circular things sliding against the insides of cans and still not one fuck was given.

I hope gmod13 fixes it. Sucks that it's gonna break probably most of our addons and dupes. When's Gmod13 supposed to be out anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #352
    if 4 sliders, 4 ropes, a crankshaft, a box, and an E2 lag a server, it's the fault of the server. Or the game.

Shit back in the day we ran engines with big circular things sliding against the insides of cans and still not one fuck was given.

I hope gmod13 fixes it. Sucks that it's gonna break probably most of our addons and dupes. When's Gmod13 supposed to be out anyway?
    It's not the fact that one thing does, it's the fact that that combined with all the other things moving as well do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

33. Post #353
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    I respect thruster engines over ACF engines, I think most of the reason people settled on ACF engines is they offer a good balance between technicality and simplicity, giving you most of the engineering with none of the bothersome instability.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #354
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts

More coming soon...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

35. Post #355
    February 2012
    24 Posts
    Disregarding the points you made about thruster engines, that autoclutch is exactly what I'm talking about. Why do we not have control of the clutch? I simply cannot see me using ACF unless I have more control of what's going on.
    well you can actually control the clutch... somewhat. you can change the clutch strength from anything between 0 and 1 so .66 works too.

im not sure if that's helpful to u... but that's just my 2 cents

Edited:

Also.. idk who is the genious behind this shit... it has to be one of the addons i downloaded...

basically about 20-40 mins into the game.. the game just freezes for about a min. then out of no where.. all of the materials change on the map. like everything and theres also a sign on the world that speaks of "you have not crashed yet. Click here to crash" I must say tho, quite creative of a gmod virus or what ever you people want to call it.

heres some pictures
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skyline...254255566334/?

36. Post #356
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    Server Owners discriminate against anyone who causes server performance to hit rock bottom

I know this from experience, just play somewhere else if they're bothering you, just that garrysmod has such horrendous networking since even though both server and client may have more than enough bandwidth to put all the shit through the pipes, and the rates to cope with it somewhere it clogs up and starts choking and pings spike.
    I really hope gmod 13 can alleviate some of this, it doesn't make any sense.

There really should be a way to turn off the inbuilt autoclutch in ACF though.
    acf is quite complicated and realistic, however some parts of it were streamlined to make it more usable. there will definitely be an option for autoclutch in the future. for now, it's not too hard to just shut off the engine if rpm dips too low via e2.

Edited:

I respect thruster engines over ACF engines, I think most of the reason people settled on ACF engines is they offer a good balance between technicality and simplicity, giving you most of the engineering with none of the bothersome instability.
    agreed. i will always love real engines, but they're just too laggy and overdone now, and just can't be used for low lag vehicles. engines were really fun for super batshit technical vehicles, like winston and i's rock crawler.

engines kind of stopped being fun when winston and i were pioneering the endgame engine systems. when we finally found out that just a basic slider engine with TBdupe outperformed all other designs, the fun of development ceased. pretty much everyone now uses the same methods & designs that we came up with (mostly winston's)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #357
    January 2012
    481 Posts

How to get rid of wobbly wheels after duping?

I use advanced duplicator 2, with the first version it was even worse.

I use makespherical for my wheels, set reasonable weights and I have both the wheels and the chassis frozen before I use axis. Doesn't seem to help though.

Actually this happens occasionally even without duping.

38. Post #358
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts

How to get rid of wobbly wheels after duping?

I use advanced duplicator 2, with the first version it was even worse.

I use makespherical for my wheels, set reasonable weights and I have both the wheels and the chassis frozen before I use axis. Doesn't seem to help though.

Actually this happens occasionally even without duping.
    Use ballsocket advanced? If you lock it to the right axis it works as a stronger axis. Just make sure everything is frozen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

39. Post #359
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    Use ballsocket advanced? If you lock it to the right axis it works as a stronger axis. Just make sure everything is frozen.
    Ok thanks. Which axis should one use? X, Y or Z?

Edit: It also seems to be difficult to attach it using ballsocket adv because the prop doesn't automatically move to the set point. I'll try a bit more though

40. Post #360
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    Yeah you must put it in place then ball socket it. It's most likely either X or Y. So you would have it like

X -180 - 180
    Y -1 - 1
    Z -1 - 1

That basically lets the X axis rotate freely and the other two lock. It might be different I cnat really remember :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events