1. Post #3921
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,017 Posts
    You do know if you're over 18 and a legal citizen of the U.S. you have to sign up for the draft? They'll come after you if you don't. You also need to be registered for the draft in order to attend college.
    The United States discontinued the draft in 1973,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

2. Post #3922
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,081 Posts
    Fuck, I meant selective service. My brain farted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3923
    What fun is there in making sense?
    Dennab
    October 2007
    9,274 Posts
    I would be so happy if they move the dates up from 1986 up to 2000. Not that much of a change, and would make plenny of people happy.
    Wouldn't matter. May 1986 was when they closed registration for new automatic weapons. Since registration would have still be closed for 12 years, it wouldn't change anything.

4. Post #3924
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    You do know if you're over 18 and a legal citizen of the U.S. you have to sign up for the draft? They'll come after you if you don't. You also need to be registered for the draft in order to attend college.
    I turned 18 two and a half years ago and they've yet to 'come after me' and I am attending college and still not registered SO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #3925
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    I turned 18 two and a half years ago and they've yet to 'come after me' and I am attending college and still not registered SO.
    They won't come after you. Instead they give you a grace period until you're 26 then fuck you in the ass and keep you from getting certain jobs, getting government aid, using government services, and the inability to use social security. So it would be wise to fill out the 1 piece of paper you should have gotten in the mail around your 18th birthday.

Edited:

That doesn't mean it can't be reinstated. That's what the selective service is for. In the event that for whatever reason they do start the draft again you're already in the system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #3926
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Wouldn't matter. May 1986 was when they closed registration for new automatic weapons. Since registration would have still be closed for 12 years, it wouldn't change anything.
    the weapons manufactured after 86 still have to be registered
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #3927
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    They won't come after you. Instead they give you a grace period until you're 26 then fuck you in the ass and keep you from getting certain jobs, getting government aid, using government services, and the inability to use social security. So it would be wise to fill out the 1 piece of paper you should have gotten in the mail around your 18th birthday.
    By the time I'm 26 I'll have moved out of the country so it doesn't concern me at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #3928
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    the weapons manufactured after 86 still have to be registered
    Weapons after 86 cannot be registered by civilians. Only class 3 FFLs, Military, and Law Enforcement can register them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #3929
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,829 Posts
    You do know if you're over 18 and a legal citizen of the U.S. you have to sign up for the draft (sorry, I meant selective service)? They'll come after you if you don't. You also need to be registered for the draft(again, selective service) in order to attend college.
    I've been attending college since September 2011, I'm 20, I have signed no papers involving selective service/draft.

No one has knocked on my door, no one has called my home phone, nothing was received in the mail.

Edited:

And frankly, I won't do it until they force my hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #3930
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I've been attending college since September 2011, I'm 20, I have signed no papers involving selective service/draft.

No one has knocked on my door, no one has called my home phone, nothing was received in the mail.

Edited:

And frankly, I won't do it until they force my hand.
    they just arrest you once your grace period is up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

11. Post #3931
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    By the time I'm 26 I'll have moved out of the country so it doesn't concern me at all.
    Good luck getting a passport without signing up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #3932
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    Good luck getting a passport without signing up.
    Okay so I get a passport and sign up for the selective service and then move as soon as I get the passport. What are they going to do come to whatever country I migrated to to draft me? Not likely.

13. Post #3933
    Okay so I get a passport and sign up for the selective service and then move as soon as I get the passport. What are they going to do come to whatever country I migrated to to draft me? Not likely.
    Gotta give up your US citizenship first, and have fun picking the right country to defect to. Until you give up your passport, you can still be drafted and prosecuted if you don't report. Don't be a pussy. In the unlikely event a draft is issued, man up and serve your country. Don't serve the government, serve the innocent women and children who want a good future. Don't be some selfish draft dodging hippie. I know you won't, but I suggest watching Band of Brothers AND The Pacific. Most of those guys were drafted.

But what the fuck does this have to do with guns?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #3934
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,498 Posts
    Can they stop you from reregistering your passport?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #3935
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    Are you paranoid that for some reason they're going to draft you in the next 6 years? To do what, stand in the desert and get shot at? There's already plenty of us here to handle that, you've got nothing to worry about.

Anyway, back to topic.
    Gentlemen, behold. The KS-23/TOZ-123

4 gauge riot shotgun made from sub-par anti aircraft barrels and originally used for quelling riots in Russian prisons. Do want.

Edited:

Can they stop you from reregistering your passport?
    Yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #3936
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,081 Posts
    I'm probably late on this, but recently YouTube started recommending videos to me about the GyroJet. Really fascinating stuff.

Shame it sounds like they really sucked outside of possible space combat.

17. Post #3937
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    a gyroget rocket is like $120 a piece

He just shot off $240 worth of ammunition, imagine the fun he could have had if he put that into .22LR
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #3938
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    I'm probably late on this, but recently YouTube started recommending videos to me about the GyroJet. Really fascinating stuff.

Shame it sounds like they really sucked outside of possible space combat.
    I've always wondered what those looked like when fired.

I think if they expanded upon the gyrojet that it could be successful today. If they did something like the 40k bolter where as they have a primary charge that gets it out of the barrel at a decent velocity , and a secondary rocket that propels it even faster, it could work much better than those old things. Just imagine a 50 BMG being fired and having the round continue to accelerate out to a mile as apposed to decelerate once out of the barrel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #3939
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,017 Posts
    Looks like something out of Judge Dredd or W40k, a massive 4 bore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

20. Post #3940
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,829 Posts
    I've always wondered what those looked like when fired.

I think if they expanded upon the gyrojet that it could be successful today. If they did something like the 40k bolter where as they have a primary charge that gets it out of the barrel at a decent velocity , and a secondary rocket that propels it even faster, it could work much better than those old things. Just imagine a 50 BMG being fired and having the round continue to accelerate out to a mile as apposed to decelerate once out of the barrel.
    I honestly think any sort of small or medium bore gun won't be able to use gyrojet to full potential. I can see it being used in specialty shotgun slugs but not much else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

21. Post #3941
    April 2011
    2,786 Posts
    4 gauge riot shotgun made from sub-par anti aircraft barrels and originally used for quelling riots in Russian prisons. Do want.
    The first time someone told me that story, I thought they were bullshiting me. Russian ingenuity at its finest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #3942
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,591 Posts
    Looks like something out of Judge Dredd or W40k, a massive 4 bore.
    Meet the 1000 M.R New System Arms.

3-round bolt-action rifle. Caliber is one inch. Deciding this is not insane enough, the builder is currently building a 1-bore gun.

Italy strong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

23. Post #3943
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    I honestly think any sort of small or medium bore gun won't be able to use gyrojet to full potential. I can see it being used in specialty shotgun slugs but not much else.
    I think it could be done with a 50. BMG. There's plenty of case in there to put a small rocket, and since you don't need a full load of powder to achieve the velocity wanted then it could work. Hell you could do it on a smaller scale to say a 30-06. Anything smaller than a full rifle cartridge would be too small. Then again what's to say they can't design a new cartridge all together?

24. Post #3944
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,310 Posts
    My SO card came in on my 18th birthday, exactly. So that was one of my gifts.
    If it ever came to me having to go, I would do so willingly. I would more then likely just enlist if I wasn't already in the service.

If you ran away in your country's time of need you're just a coward in my eyes. Men and women do what they would ask of us daily, on their own free will.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

25. Post #3945
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,498 Posts
    I'm just planning on national guard then I hopefully get left alone 'cep for human aid stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

26. Post #3946
    April 2011
    2,786 Posts
    My SO card came in on my 18th birthday, exactly. So that was one of my gifts.
    If it ever came to me having to go, I would do so willingly. I would more then likely just enlist if I wasn't already in the service.

If you ran away in your country's time of need you're just a coward in my eyes. Men and women do what they would ask of us daily, on their own free will.
    Not that I would have a choice if the thing arose, but:

Conscription is slavery, and I don't think that any people or nation has a right to save itself at the price of slavery for anyone, no matter what name it is called......If a country can't save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say : Let the damned thing go down the drain!- Robert A. Heinlein, 1961
    Unless our country is directly attacked and invaded, I will oppose the draft. If we have another proxy war like Vietnam and the draft is implemented then I guess I will pack my bags.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #3947
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    Gotta give up your US citizenship first, and have fun picking the right country to defect to. Until you give up your passport, you can still be drafted and prosecuted if you don't report. Don't be a pussy. In the unlikely event a draft is issued, man up and serve your country. Don't serve the government, serve the innocent women and children who want a good future. Don't be some selfish draft dodging hippie. I know you won't, but I suggest watching Band of Brothers AND The Pacific. Most of those guys were drafted.

I'm not a "Selfish draft-dodging hippie" I just don't want to fight for this country. And they cannot come to another country and get you if you migrate and they institute a draft after you move. They can only prosecute you if you leave AFTER the draft was instituted in which case they still can't come after you but if you return to the country they can/will arrest you.

Edited:

4 gauge?

made from anti-aircraft barrels?

Take my money. Take all of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #3948
    I'm not a "Selfish draft-dodging hippie" I just don't want to fight for this country. And they cannot come to another country and get you if you migrate and they institute a draft after you move. They can only prosecute you if you leave AFTER the draft was instituted in which case they still can't come after you but if you return to the country they can/will arrest you.
    Fine then. Don't want to fight for human rights and liberty? Get the fuck out of my country. We don't want you here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #3949
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    Fine then. Don't want to fight for human rights and liberty? Get the fuck out of my country. We don't want you here.
    Oh fuck off with that self righteous bullshit I have every right NOT to fight just as you have every right TO fight.

And it is not 'your country'. And seriously, fighting for "human rights and liberty"? What did you do, swallow that cold war propaganda bullshit whole?

I have nothing but respect for our armed forces. What they do I respect. It's how the government uses them that I do not.

However that is not a life I wish to lead nor is it a life I am GOING to lead. If the government gives me no other options I will run, yes. I don't see that as cowardice. I see it as self preservation. Just because some jackass in the capitol has decided I should pick up a gun and shoot someone else doesn't mean I SHOULD or WILL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #3950
    Oh fuck off with that self righteous bullshit I have every right NOT to fight just as you have every right TO fight.

And it is not 'your country'. And seriously, fighting for "human rights and liberty"? What did you do, swallow that cold war propaganda bullshit whole?
    No, I didn't but I am privileged enough to not have to scavenge for food and such thanks to people who actually did man up and fight when called upon. Try learning the meaning of self righteousness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #3951
    Dennab
    October 2010
    1,436 Posts

Personally I'd only respond to the draft if we were in a direct threat and I was in agreement of the ideals and the current government we were fighting for.

32. Post #3952
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    Are you paranoid that for some reason they're going to draft you in the next 6 years? To do what, stand in the desert and get shot at? There's already plenty of us here to handle that, you've got nothing to worry about.

Anyway, back to topic.

Edited:

Yes
    I first learned of this thing from CoD Black Ops, then I read up on it more, and I now know I must have one. ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #3953
    I have nothing but respect for our armed forces. What they do I respect. It's how the government uses them that I do not.

However that is not a life I wish to lead nor is it a life I am GOING to lead. If the government gives me no other options I will run, yes. I don't see that as cowardice. I see it as self preservation. Just because some jackass in the capitol has decided I should pick up a gun and shoot someone else doesn't mean I SHOULD or WILL.
    Yeah sure, I agree that most of the dumbfucks running this country are cowards and are lower than dirt but the large scale wars our country has fought have been for a reason and have come out for the best. If I was drafted I wouldn't bat an eyelash at the thought of fighting for this country.

Edited:

Personally I'd only respond to the draft if we were in a direct threat and I was in agreement of the ideals and the current government we were fighting for.
    If you're drafted, you're drafted. Report or get arrested. Five years in prison is the sentence for people that don't report, last I heard. I would rather die with meaning than waste five years in some overcrowded jail.

34. Post #3954
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    No, I didn't but I am privileged enough to not have to scavenge for food and such thanks to people who actually did man up and fight when called upon. Try learning the meaning of self righteousness.
    Self Righteous- adjective
    confident of one's own righteousness, especially when smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.

You saying something as retarded as "Don't want to fight for human rights and liberty? Get the fuck out of my country. We don't want you here." is as "smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others" as you can get.

Just because I don't wish to lead the life of a Soldier, and would prefer NOT be FORCED into it, does not make me a "Selfish draft dodging hippie" nor does it make me any less of a person than you OR someone who is 'ungrateful of people who manned up and fought when called upon'

The last fucking war we fought that actually prevented some really bad shit from happening to OUR COUNTRY was WWII. Since then all of the wars we have fought we were in no direct danger from anyone or anything.

Edited:

Yeah sure, I agree that most of the dumbfucks running this country are cowards and are lower than dirt but the large scale wars our country has fought have been for a reason and have come out for the best. If I was drafted I wouldn't bat an eyelash at the thought of fighting for this country.
    "Large scale war"

The last "Large scale war" we had was world war fucking two. Everything else has been proxy wars or bullshit incursions like the shit in the middle east.

If something like another WWII happened I would fight. I sure as fuck wouldn't be a soldier I'd be a better medic or combat engineer. But I'd fight.

If there was a draft for some BS war like Vietnam or Korea or this shit in the middle east, fuck that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #3955

January 2010
    1,271 Posts
    Better find a non-extradition country or become "Conscientious Objector" upon being called to draft.

At any rate, I like this country. It ain't perfect and it can be a shit stain at times... but I ain't starving, I ain't wanting for anything pertinent to life. So why not go when this place calls for me... hell even if I hated this place I would do it for the people I know and the guys who are fighting with me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #3956
    Better find a non-extradition country or become "Conscientious Objector" upon being called to draft.

At any rate, I like this country. It ain't perfect and it can be a shit stain at times... but I ain't starving, I ain't wanting for anything pertinent to life. So why not go when this place calls for me... hell even if I hated this place I would do it for the people I know and the guys who are fighting with me.
    Amen brother.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #3957
    Dennab
    October 2010
    1,436 Posts

Edited:

If you're drafted, you're drafted. Report or get arrested. Five years in prison is the sentence for people that don't report, last I heard. I would rather die with meaning than waste five years in some overcrowded jail.
    Well a government that is making me fight in a war I don't agree with would become very illegitimate very quickly. We've had a spat in modern history where those that fight do it for a country, or for college benefits, which is quite honestly disgusting. If I'm going to fight or if any other man is going to fight, it's my duty to make sure that I'm fighting a legitimate war for a legitimate cause, one that extends beyond simple constructs such as nationalism. For instance, I would find it more noble to dodge the draft than to serve in the Vietnam War, or the current war (were we to instate a draft for it for whatever reason).

38. Post #3958
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    Originally my plan was to come out of the closet when/if I was drafted but Obama blew that plan all to hell. Jackass. (Not lying to get out of the draft dodge, I am at the very least a 3 or 4 on the kinsey scale so...)

That CO thing looks good though. I wouldn't mind doing civilian service type shit I just don't want to be in the thick of an actual war.

39. Post #3959

January 2010
    1,271 Posts
    Well a government that is making me fight in a war I don't agree with would become very illegitimate very quickly. We've had a spat in modern history where those that fight do it for a country, or for college benefits, which is quite honestly disgusting. If I'm going to fight or if any other man is going to fight, it's my duty to make sure that I'm fighting a legitimate war for a legitimate cause, one that extends beyond simple constructs such as nationalism. For instance, I would find it more noble to dodge the draft than to serve in the Vietnam War, or the current war (were we to instate a draft for it for whatever reason).
    Disagree with the war or not, it shouldn't matter. If you get called upon you should go as a duty to the guy next to you and you should give it your all for him. Countries don't throw themselves on grenades or drag your shocked ass out of a ditch and carry you to safety. The guy next to you does. And that's why I would be there. For him and everyone like him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3960
    Dennab
    October 2010
    1,436 Posts
    Disagree with the war or not, it shouldn't matter. If you get called upon you should go as a duty to the guy next to you and you should give it your all for him. Countries don't throw themselves on grenades or drag your shocked ass out of a ditch and carry you to safety. The guy next to you does. And that's why I would be there. For him and everyone like him.
    is rejecting the government that sent him to a foreign land not fighting for him?