1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,778 Posts
    When I heard about Left 4 Dead, I was really expecting more. I hadn't seen a trailer, or anything, and that was it. People just told me about it.

I was expecting NPCs to interact with, rather than a map to run through. I thought it would have more variety. I thought the game would be like a full on adventure available with co-op where instead of a map you run through with panic events, you interact with other survivor NPCs, be asked to go and rescue a survivor's friend from a building full of zombies, defend a house with a few other survivors, and a bunch of other stuff. What it is now is just maps and panic events.

Not that I'm saying L4D is bad, it's great, but I think it would've been cooler and maybe less repetitive if it was something like this. It just seemed like they could do so much more.

And what I saw from the trailer looked pretty cool, too, I would've loved having to sprint the bridge while it was being blown apart, meaning you had to get across otherwise you'd really die, but they ended up changing that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    And the worst part, is that it has the absolute possibility of being everything you expected. But Valve being Valve, it probably won't happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,871 Posts
    Uploaded by MarphitimusBlackimus on Feb 6, 2010
    You didn't get it. I know that this video is old as all hell, but I meant that they should make a l4d/kf crossover with kf characters running around killing SI and all that fun l4d stuff like COSTA mentioned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    December 2010
    3,183 Posts
    They should make a Left 4 Dead game, but, like, in soldiers' perspective.

I made a boxart of it once, but it's long gone now and it had a helmet-like-distorted style with a hint of Adrian Shepard on the cover.

I thought it looked pretty cool I called it "Right 2 Life".

Like a double entendre.

Make it hella in-depth in everything too. Like, a Dead Rising but in first person.
    Thought of that before. Like the soldiers when the outbreak hit. That'd be the shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member

August 2008
    2,905 Posts
    Thought of that before. Like the soldiers when the outbreak hit. That'd be the shit.
    We should collab sometime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #46
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,836 Posts
    good l4d media finally
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,070 Posts
    good l4d media finally
    Good because Ellis is about to be mauled or good because it's well drawn?

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,836 Posts
    both
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Zing Zing x 8Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    July 2010
    5,073 Posts
    It kind of seems now that the only two options left is to either make a new, large update or just let the game die.
    I think part of the issue is also that the Valve team is constantly focusing on TF2, CS:GO, and DOTA over some of their older projects. imo it's not a coincidence that the only Valve games to really see updates recently are those three.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #51
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,179 Posts

lollercoaster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

12. Post #52

November 2008
    103 Posts
    hey can anyone help with this issue?

so i tried to extract the rar file for the custom map, normally you see that steam icon (which is the vpk file) but there is no steam icon (it gives the weird white square "error" icon), and when i click it it doesnt install properly....

i tried going into the l4d files and clicking addon installer, didnt work either

whats the problem? it worked fine before, but it's only been happening recently..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

13. Post #53
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts
    Wow, this is actually really well done and it actually fits L4D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Need more pictures of stuff like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,102 Posts
    I think part of the issue is also that the Valve team is constantly focusing on TF2, CS:GO, and DOTA over some of their older projects. imo it's not a coincidence that the only Valve games to really see updates recently are those three.
    There's a team for each game, and with Portal 2 finished most of the team members have gone back to their original teams. The L4D team just does fuck all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

16. Post #56
    July 2010
    5,073 Posts
    There's a team for each game, and with Portal 2 finished most of the team members have gone back to their original teams. The L4D team just does fuck all.
    Yeah but teams are shifted around for specific projects. The L4D team was often brought in for TF2 major updates, and vice-versa, to help towards publication.
    With the weekly rate that major DOTA 2 updates are being cranked out (combined with the fact that a major TF2 update is on the way and CS:GO is approaching new beta updates), I do not doubt at all that this is the case. Teams are flexible at Valve.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,443 Posts
    Oh finally.

http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=14963

Here's a video, but it's a little atrocious mind you.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,778 Posts
    The guy reloads shotguns way too fast.

Most of them reload way too fast actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Glory To Victotzka
    November 2010
    1,251 Posts
    The guy reloads shotguns way too fast.

Most of them reload way too fast actually.
    Apparently that's the original reload time on the vanilla shotguns as well.

I don't like the fact that his anims seem a bit too 'tactical', like the pistols at the end. Yikes. That's just unnecessary crap by having their hands flail extremely fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,102 Posts
    Yeah but teams are shifted around for specific projects. The L4D team was often brought in for TF2 major updates, and vice-versa, to help towards publication.
    With the weekly rate that major DOTA 2 updates are being cranked out (combined with the fact that a major TF2 update is on the way and CS:GO is approaching new beta updates), I do not doubt at all that this is the case. Teams are flexible at Valve.
    The L4D team has done fuck all since The Sacrifice. Some updating for the L4D campaigns, which they aren't going to release until what's-his-fuck is finished bashing his face into his keyboard and shits out that campaign of his.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Oh finally.

http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=14963

Here's a video, but it's a little atrocious mind you.

ahhh what the crap is all this yoko shit added to it, i had these animations downloaded straight from arby before this even existed

get them here instead: http://www.gamebanana.com/members/su.../skins/1244225
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts

Here's a video, but it's a little atrocious mind you
    I was wondering what you meant by this, then I watched the video.

"Atrocious" is too mild a word to describe this

23. Post #63
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    better video

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts
    better video

Much better, although almost half the video is him talking about his mods he has installed

25. Post #65
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Yeah... but it was the only one I could find specifically for Arby's animations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    July 2010
    450 Posts
    I installed arby's animations a week ago and love em, especially the magnum

27. Post #67
    July 2010
    5,073 Posts
    The L4D team has done fuck all since The Sacrifice. Some updating for the L4D campaigns, which they aren't going to release until what's-his-fuck is finished bashing his face into his keyboard and shits out that campaign of his.
    That's because they're working on DOTA & TF2 which are seeing massive updates right now along the lines of new animations, modelling, gameplay balance, writing/voice acting, engine coding, and a whole heap of other things.
    DOTA is just about to enter a 2nd beta stage, with two betas ("DOTA 2" and "DOTA 2 Test") simultaneously running at once. I highly doubt that just the DOTA team is working on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,102 Posts
    That's because they're working on DOTA & TF2 which are seeing massive updates right now along the lines of new animations, modelling, gameplay balance, writing/voice acting, engine coding, and a whole heap of other things.
    DOTA is just about to enter a 2nd beta stage, with two betas ("DOTA 2" and "DOTA 2 Test") simultaneously running at once. I highly doubt that just the DOTA team is working on that.
    The TF2 team is working on TF2, I highly doubt they're taking anyone from the L4D team. They aren't inept; if they had to take members away from every other team every time they made a big update, we probably wouldn't have Portal 2 out. And even if the DOTA 2 team had to drag members of the L4D team away, they always leave enough members in a team to still do work on the game. And they've done jack since The Sacrifice.
    The L4D team is lazy, even more so than the TF2 team who still manages frequent updates.

Cut the optimism and accept that the L4D team isn't doing anything with the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    July 2010
    5,073 Posts
    I have a hard time believing that the team is literally doing nothing, between the bug fix/map tweak update that just came out and the blog post saying that the 360 version of Cold Stream is approaching release.

However, there just seems to be a focus throughout Valve atm for CS:GO/TF2/DOTA/Android & iOS Steam. There's a whole shitload of new projects going on right now. It's no surprise to me that L4D, Portal 2, & CS:S aren't seeing much work while those few projects are, and I highly doubt CS:GO, DOTA, and Android/iOS Steam can exist as three separate teams without diverting some talent from games like L4D to help.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,836 Posts
    The TF2 team is working on TF2, I highly doubt they're taking anyone from the L4D team. They aren't inept; if they had to take members away from every other team every time they made a big update, we probably wouldn't have Portal 2 out. And even if the DOTA 2 team had to drag members of the L4D team away, they always leave enough members in a team to still do work on the game. And they've done jack since The Sacrifice.
    The L4D team is lazy, even more so than the TF2 team who still manages frequent updates.

Cut the optimism and accept that the L4D team isn't doing anything with the game.
    as much as i want to agree with you, porting the l4d campaigns isnt exactly easy
    especially all the gameplay tweaks to the maps that theyve been doing

but it seems to me like valve is only going to stop there rather than pick up where the parish left off, by letting a non-canon custom campaign take over
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,415 Posts
    Valve doesn't really have "teams".
    People are always switching around, working on different things.
    That's why they value adaptability over other skills.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,043 Posts
    Valve doesn't really have "teams".
    No, they do. The lazy people who don't do anything are assigned to L4D duty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    I don't know how to describe it, but L4D had a much different mood and feel than I expected when I saw the first screenshots.

Does anybody else know what I mean?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 35 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,102 Posts
    Goddamnit, I had a big ass post replying to Butthurter and then FP went down and it ate it. Fuck.

Something something, L4D team isn't Valve, something something, killing modding, something something, only takes so much time to finish stuff.

I think that was the gist of it. The context would make it make a shit load more sense, but eh. I'm too hungry to care about context right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,308 Posts
    The beta survivors were the shit. Too bad all attempts to recreate them end in nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

36. Post #76
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts
    I don't know how to describe it, but L4D had a much different mood and feel than I expected when I saw the first screenshots.

Does anybody else know what I mean?
    Because for some reason Valve always puts screenshots of the beta instead of the game itself on Steam pages

Just check TF2, it's the same
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,862 Posts
    So, I bought that hard cover tales from Valve book with the Sacrifice comic in it.

My dad read it yesterday and really liked it. Surprising.

38. Post #78
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts
    So, I bought that hard cover tales from Valve book with the Sacrifice comic in it.

My dad read it yesterday and really liked it. Surprising.
    You mean the one by Dark Horse?

I recently bought it and I love it, even if it is a bit short
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #79
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    October 2009
    9,336 Posts
    I personally liked Left 4 Dead before. It was more survival horror back then.

Now, the only sense of "fear" I get is the thrill of the chase, not so much you're in a scary situation.

It's too... funny. Light-hearted, even.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)