1. Post #121
    October 2010
    11,808 Posts
    what are you even...

i can't tell you how many times i've SEEMINGLY emptied my magazine on a smoker mid-pull only for him to not die and successfully grab me
    Never happened to me

but then again I fire in super accurate bursts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    November 2010
    185 Posts
    survivor guns are stupidly powerful because half the SI can click a single button and you often can't save yourself. So it comes down to which team presses M2/M1 first, respectively.

It's balanced.
    I don't think he's even talking about vs.

He's talking about how repetitive the game is. How every gun falls into effectively 3 play styles. How the director always picks the same pattern of horde, break, horde, break, with the only variations being the map defined panic events that will always be there every play through. The game isn't on par with Valve's other works in terms of gameplay variety, due to the limited choices you actually have in the game.

He finds the game boring and wants new and interesting tools to play around with, even if they're less than effective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    November 2010
    5 Posts
    alright, so a while back i set out to try and create some custom common infected models. i was able to get to a point where i could spawn zombies with randomized models and textures.

(i set mat_fullbright 1 to get a better view)

i used the doctor model from no mercy in l4d1, combined it with the variable heads from l4d2's zombies and got it to spawn random color scrubs (they also come in different shades of green and purple, they just happen to be all blue in my screenshots) with different blood splatter patterns on them, but i ran into a wall when it came to rendering their wounds.

thanks to valve's publications:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publica...niquesL4D2.pdf

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publica...l4d2wounds.pdf

i figured out their clever color masking and gradient mapping technique to create the randomized textures. but for some reason i can't get the material shader to carve out holes in the base texture to show the wounds underneath:

as you might be able to see, the wound models do appear within the original model and in the 3rd screenshot you can see that the material shader even carves out a hole in the zombie's shadow, but i can't get the shader to kill the pixels to create the hole in the model or add the blood spatter overlay.

i'm gonna take a break from this project for a bit but any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Media.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 4Dumb x 3Artistic x 2Disagree x 2Agree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    October 2010
    11,808 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    It's Valentine's Day. You know what that means.

Lots of shipping pictures.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

7. Post #127
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    oh god nick x rochelle noooooooooooooooooo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,133 Posts
    I'd love Rochelle if she looked like that

Edited:

The hair, mostly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    November 2010
    5,265 Posts
    I'm hoping for some more original characters in the next L4D, along with more "story"

Louis, Bill, and Francis were all pretty memorable. Zoey not so much though.
    Coach, Ellis, Nick, and Rochelle felt like comic relief. With "sweet lincolns mullet" and "i lurv harses" I could not take them seriously at all.

The whole military killing carriers and doing experiments should be expanded on more.
    It would also be cool to have a few more regular old survivors like Whitley (Whitney? I don't remember) and his gun shop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,770 Posts
    I'm hoping for some more original characters in the next L4D, along with more "story"

Coach, Ellis, Nick, and Rochelle felt like comic relief. With "sweet lincolns mullet" and "i lurv harses" I could not take them seriously at all.

The whole military killing carriers and doing experiments should be expanded on more.
    It would also be cool to have a few more regular old survivors like Whitley (Whitney? I don't remember) and his gun shop.
    Whitaker, coolest man on earth. Can't live without his COLA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #131
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #132
    No one likes you, get banned.
    December 2009
    6,116 Posts
    To all ellisxzoey
    PERFECT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    June 2011
    150 Posts
    I ported a popular SCAR-L model to L4D with new animations, just incase anyone still thought it was impossible:

Link to download here:
    http://www.gamebanana.com/l4d/skins/115197

It doesn't use scripts, so you can use it online
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,271 Posts
    To all ellisxzoey

PERFECT

How it should be.
    [SUB]Fuel for your nightmares.[/SUB]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 5Optimistic x 2Artistic x 1Dumb x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    It's Valentine's Day. You know what that means.

Lots of shipping pictures.
    [Misc pictures snipped out]
    Nick & Ro? Wrong pair! [Sees Joyful Mystery's snapshot of Francis & Rochelle] Better!

I ported a popular SCAR-L model to L4D with new animations, just incase anyone still thought it was impossible:

Link to download here:
    I almost thought L4D1 was abandoned due to all the content moving over to L4D2. But then again, I wouldn't mind if the first game became... I don't want to say it out loud because y'all may have heard the rumors already. But it could lead to Garry using a "bit" of its engine branch (Special effects and shader stuff, phong with its convar "mat_phong" that can/could be changed if you would need some performance or find the shiny stuff horrible. I've got other stuff I wrote in a Post #19 on an "L4D2 update from January 20")
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

16. Post #136
    June 2011
    150 Posts
    Nick & Ro? Wrong pair! [Sees Joyful Mystery's snapshot of Francis & Rochelle] Better!

I almost thought L4D1 was abandoned due to all the content moving over to L4D2. But then again, I wouldn't mind if the first game became... I don't want to say it out loud because y'all may have heard the rumors already. But it could lead to Garry using a "bit" of its engine branch (Special effects and shader stuff, phong with its convar "mat_phong" that can/could be changed if you would need some performance or find the shiny stuff horrible. I've got other stuff I wrote in a Post #19 on an "L4D2 update from January 20")
    I used to think that too but then jockeys, defibs, and wife beater and short-shorts zombies instead of police/National Guard/business-suit zombies appeared in Mercy hospital in Pennsylvania while I was playing. Also all the asian, red, blonde haired zombies were gone and replaced by grayscale zombies... and the elevator convo was somehow gone...

Some of those are "small" things but bring down the whole point of playing the L4D series at all (since the gameplay is so damn simple), the atmosphere. There is the L4D1 gameplay mutation mod for L4D2, but let's face it... 500x the people just play L4D1 than all the mutations combined.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,015 Posts

Link to download here:

What makes certain L4D mods work online and not work online? I've wanted to download this one I found that brings back the L4D1 animations to L4D2 but apprently it doesn't work on dedicated servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

18. Post #138
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    I used to think that too but then jockeys, defibs, and wife beater and short-shorts zombies instead of police/National Guard/business-suit zombies appeared in Mercy hospital in Pennsylvania while I was playing. Also all the asian, red, blonde haired zombies were gone and replaced by grayscale zombies... and the elevator convo was somehow gone...

Some of those are "small" things but bring down the whole point of playing the L4D series at all (since the gameplay is so damn simple), the atmosphere. There is the L4D1 gameplay mutation mod for L4D2, but let's face it... 500x the people just play L4D1 than all the mutations combined.
    I just wanted to say great weapon work your doing, it's making my L4D2 experience way better with much better weapon models and animations. Keep going strong, because I'll have all of my weapons replaced with yours very soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    I already do! All of my weapons use his re-animations.

20. Post #140
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    I already do! All of my weapons use his re-animations.
    The problem is his reanimations don't cover all of the weapons.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    The only thing I recall him not re-animating, weaponry-wise, are the pistols. But even then I'm using a mod that he made.

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,015 Posts
    Anyway he can get this to work properly?
    http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=12962
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

23. Post #143
    October 2009
    2,176 Posts

Gotta say that the Left 4 Dead 2 characters sound miles better in combat situations like fighting a tank, being chased by a witch or even just mowing down commons. Actually whispering when they hear a witch was mind blowing to me the first time I played L4D2 after a year of Francis pointing and screaming "WIIIIITCH!" when she's sitting against the door he just opened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #144
    October 2010
    11,808 Posts
    Gotta say that the Left 4 Dead 2 characters sound miles better in combat situations like fighting a tank, being chased by a witch or even just mowing down commons. Actually whispering when they hear a witch was mind blowing to me the first time I played L4D2 after a year of Francis pointing and screaming "WIIIIITCH!" when she's sitting against the door he just opened.
    It does seem rather counterproductive to start yelling that there's a witch when you want to avoid her

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,015 Posts

I don't agree, the felt on the same level of humour as the L4D1 cast with Francis yelling "I hate vans" or Zoey going "GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER"

Anyway, I haven't played L4D2 online in a while, are there any custom maps that are currently being played?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

26. Post #146
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    I don't agree, the felt on the same level of humour as the L4D1 cast with Francis yelling "I hate vans" or Zoey going "GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER"

Anyway, I haven't played L4D2 online in a while, are there any custom maps that are currently being played?
    There's a puzzle map that's pretty popular called "Questionable Ethics". It's pretty fun, actually.

27. Post #147
    THIS DIDN'T WORK AT ALL
    December 2009
    3,319 Posts
    There's a puzzle map that's pretty popular called "Questionable Ethics". It's pretty fun, actually.
    the yogscast are doing a playthrough today. The map looks crazy.

28. Post #148
    October 2010
    11,808 Posts
    the yogscast are doing a playthrough today. The map looks crazy.
    It's not that crazy as a whole. What is crazy are the finale and the toilet part. Anyone who has played it will know what I mean

29. Post #149
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,372 Posts
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/7367/
    [release]Updates to Left 4 Dead 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

General:
    -Fixed missing steam avatars in transition panel.
    -Witches on fire will now continue to attack instead of sometimes flailing around aimlessly.
    -When infected players slash at a jockeyed survivor, all damage will be applied to the survivor and not the jockey.
    -Added some missing music files for the L4D1 campaigns.

Crash Course 1:
    -Rescue closet doors that are blocked in versus are now inaccessible to both teams.
    -Fixed the area portals near the howitzer event. Players should now be able to see through the infected-broken holes in the walls properly.

Crash Course 2:
    -Rescue closet doors that are blocked in versus are now inaccessible to both teams.
    -Removed a bad item cluster in the finale which was causing too many items to spawn.

Dead Air 3:
    -Fixed an AI bot pathing issue with climbing the fence leading into the construction yard.
    -Removed the ability to climb an electric box prop near the barricade in the construction yard. It should no longer be possible to skip the barricade event.
    -Added an infected ladder to some pipes on the far side of the barricade to create a route for player infected on that side to easily enter the construction yard.

Blood Harvest 4:
    -Widened the gap in the railing on the final bridge.
    -Falling off the cliff or the final bridge is now fatal to both teams.

Blood Harvest 5:
    -Fixed a potential bug for low-end machines where certain walls and textures near the starting safe room would vanish in certain views.

Cold Stream 1:
    -There is now only a single hunting rifle in the cabin after the rope bridge.

Cold Stream 2:
    -Moved the magnum near the start of the map, nearer to the other tier 2 weapons.
    -Tier 2 weapons near the start of the map are no longer single-spawn.
    -Adjusted cars and road props to reduce the chances of players getting caught on geometry.
    -New infected ladders added.
    -Added a weapon spawn in the tent on the barrel explosion bridge.
    -Fixed an exploit that allowed survivors to climb the tent on the bridge to skip the barrel explosion event.
    -Added an M60 under the barrel explosion bridge.
    -There are now slightly more infected coming at slightly faster intervals during the end-level onslaught.
    -Fixed a bug where players and infected could get caught in the geometry along the walls in the tunnel leading to the stairwell during the onslaught.
    -Several minor visual tweaks and bug fixes for performance throughout the map.
    -Added wrong-way signs to indicate when infected players have reached the end of the playable parts of the map.
    -Fixed several spots where players and AI could get stuck.

Cold Stream 3:
    -Added a new, much more obvious path across the tanker explosion gap.
    -Tweaked the wooden catwalk area following the tanker explosion to make it easier for survivor and infected AI, as well as infected players, to navigate.
    -The water now has a new texture effect which will work on low end machines.

Cold Stream 4:
    -Fixed a melee weapon that liked to spawn inside of a table near the start of the map.
    -Fixed a case where AI infected would sometimes get stuck trying to mount the drain to climb up toward the start of the map.
    -Consolidated items in the tank fight area at the halfway point.
    -Altered tank fight area in the stream so that AI tanks don’t spawn in nearly useless/sitting duck locations.
    -Removed one of the triage tents and replaced it with an open trash/storage area.
    -Added a pair new routes up the final tower for infected players to reduce AI common infected collision and pathing issues, and to give infected players more strategic options.
    -Several prop adjustments for players using low-end settings.
    -Added wrong-way signs to indicate when infected players have reached the end of the playable parts of the map.[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Is it me or do jockeys take like entire magazines to kill sometimes when they're riding someone?

Maybe that was related to the thing they fixed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #151
    Is it me or do jockeys take like entire magazines to kill sometimes when they're riding someone?

Maybe that was related to the thing they fixed.
    Or the jockeys are trying to move so much you can't hit 'em, or the bots that are over 100% bad at getting jockeys off as they seem to aim at your feet instead and it takes time (a lot of) for them to realize that someone is being steered away

32. Post #152
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,342 Posts

Me and a friend decided to record our session when we decided to randomly pick Left 4 Dead back up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Accidentally posted this in the TF2 thread, it's supposed to go here.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    That seems like a good idea to what happens to the new Survivors after The Parish, Joyful Mystery! But I wouldn't exactly consider it 100% canon myself

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,272 Posts
    Coach has an Ellis tattoo.

Also, does anyone have a copy of that mod that spawns the CSS weapons/riot shield in every map? I can't seem to find it.

36. Post #156
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Coach has an Ellis tattoo.
    I'm not sure that's Ellis. Unless Ellis suddenly is an elf now. Look again, the tattoo has pointy ears.

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,249 Posts
    I'm not sure that's Ellis. Unless Ellis suddenly is an elf now. Look again, the tattoo has pointy ears.
    I think it's that tatoo which you find in The Passing which is one of those blue guys (sorry I don't remember the name) of Avatar with a hat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events

38. Post #158
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,372 Posts
    I think it's that tatoo which you find in The Passing which is one of those blue guys (sorry I don't remember the name) of Avatar with a hat.
    Space smurfs?

39. Post #159
    Wasn't it the Left 4 Dead 2 hat? Or are you three talking about the Midnight Riders?

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    2,192 Posts
    I tried to make a "concept art" look for Bill. Anyone do want ?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Winner x 15Dumb x 1Friendly x 1Informative x 1Funny x 1Artistic x 1 (list)