1. Post #441
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,190 Posts
    I just played an expert table-top kill-team match with my friend. I'll give more details later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts

May do this with one of my rhinos. Yes/No
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,190 Posts
    Okay, here I go. The kill-team mission we played was assassination. The two teams were Space Marine veterans and Tau commandos verses an army of Kroot.

Kill team match was set circa 265 points each side, so it was a bit larger than your average mission. We decided that we would play cooperatively, and we set a small scenario based around a chaos-tainted kroot compound. The leader, a kroot master shaper, was armed with a witchblade and had three wounds. On top of that, he was also attached to a squad instead of being a solo unit like the majority of the army.

The Kill Team was composed of two squads. My squad was composed of four marines from my custom Sternguard veteran squad, one armed with a heavy bolter and the sergeant was armed with a powerfist and a combi-flamer. The two others carried combi-flamers. My Tau allies, controlled by my friend, were composed of three Stealthsuits and a shield-drone, all held in reserve.

My squad started quite a distance away, so there was a bit of footslogging. After a short while, the squad was spotted by a Kroot sentry, who opened fire, but missed. The squad returned fire, killing him. After this, the squad split into pairs, with the sergeant and the heavy bolter marine running left, while the remaining two marines moved behind a box.
    After the first shots, roughly four kroot converged on the two pairs. A hail of rifle fire cut down the heavy bolter marine before he could bring his weapon to bear. Unsupported by their Tau allies, the remaining three marines opened fire on the kroot, clearing out five of them. The marines were able to hide themselves behind cover during the brief ceasefire, but the lone sergeant was spotted by a kroot sentry. A much larger force of upwards of ten kroot then assembled and directed themselves towards the marines.
    At this moment, the Tau arrived from reserve. They cut down a few advancing kroot before they moved back into cover.
    Unfortunately for the two marines, eight kroot charged towards them. Breaking from cover after shooting two kroot trying to flank them, the two marines ignited the group with their combi-flamers. The sergeant shot a surviving kroot with his bolter. Roughly six kroot died to the combined inferno, and a single kroot stood in the way of the sergeant. Rushing forward, he assaulted and utterly annihilated the kroot, scoring two out of three hits with his powerfist while resisting all of the melee swings from his adversary. There were a few jokes about closed-casket funerals thrown around at this time.
    Here's where things get ugly.
    The stealthsuits, who had utilized the firefight as a distraction, were able to advance towards the enemy leader and his squad who were located behind a structure. A short firefight ensued, leaving three kroot dead from burst-cannon fire. The Tau shield-drone was killed.
    My trio of marines advanced forward. Hiding behind a flipped Vindicator, they engaged a high-density kroot mob that had become alert to their presence. The stealthsuits, which had moved away from the kroot commander and his squad because of their close proximity assisted the marines, scythed down several of the carnivores. The remaining enemy force of roughly twelve foes, amplified by the presence of their leader surged forward, and easily overpowered a single stealthsuit as they changed position. The stealthsuits shifted to the right of the Vindicator cover, while the kroot sought to overpower the marines hiding behind it by flanking from the left. As the kroot rounded around the cover, they ran, which distanced their units, making the flamethrower shot from my sergeant's combi-flamer utterly impractical. Rather than to kill him off, I pulled back the squad towards my tau allies to the north-right. A bad round of shooting plus the retreat left the kroot army unscathed.
    As the kroot mob advanced, they were easily able to catch up to two of my marines who were out in the open to the right of the Vindicator hull. The witchblade from the kroot commander downed one of the marines. My sergeant rounded a corner to ambush the kroot with his flamer, and the remaining Tau and other marine opened fire, thinning the horde down. The enemy force dwindled to a single kroot alongside the unscathed kroot Master Shaper, who had three wounds. The sergeant fired his flamer, killing the last remaining kroot lackey and wounding the kroot Shaper. The remaining marine who was within assaulting range of the Shaper, rapid-fire his bolter, scoring a wound before he was knocked out of the fight by the Shaper's Witchblade. The Tau and the sergeant engaged the Kroot Master Shaper, and finally brought him down under a hail of fire.

After the battle, we brought the two marines who had been wounded by the Shaper back to life, along with one of the Stealthsuits. We then quickly invented rules on how to perform a line of high-fives between the Sternguard squad and the Stealthsuit team. In the movement phase, the three Tau stealthsuits lined up, and the three marines approached from the left. During the assault phase, the marines passed down the line and rolled to see if they gave their Tau compatriot a successful high-five. The two regular marines would high-five on a 3+, whereas the power-fist armed sergeant would hit on a 2+. All three rolls indicated that they did, and the Tau player rolled to see if the three stealthsuits successfully received the high-fives on a 3+ roll. In a string of luck, all three rolls were successful, and a few jokes were cracked at unlikely event, especially given the anti-social behavior typically exerted by both Tau and Astartes in the fluff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #444
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Oh I finally found the Warhammer thread. I thought no one had remade it.

Edited:

So yeah, in Retribution, I flipped so much shit when    you kill Thule as Chaos.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #445

August 2011
    836 Posts
    Whoo, just spent the last 20 minutes recapping Warhammer 40k lore to a friend over steam chat. And while I was looking up Leman Russ I found this quote.

"Do not underestimate the Squats. They survived for millennia cut off from the Imperium and assailed from all sides. Their determination and resilience is an example to all." (Meditations on Imperial Command, Book XVI)4

Even Leman Russ knows the squats were real! Games Workshop can;t remove them from history, no matter how hard they try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #446
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,285 Posts
    Even Leman Russ knows the squats were real! Games Workshop can;t remove them from history, no matter how hard they try.
    In other news, those hardy Rowboat Guilliman Tanks the IG use, are pretty good.

Who is Leman Russ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #447

August 2011
    836 Posts
    In other news, those hardy Rowboat Guilliman Tanks the IG use, are pretty good.

Who is Leman Russ?
    ONLY the primarch of the Space Wolves, the best Space Marine chapter there is.

He's so badass the IG named their mainline tank after him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,618 Posts
    ONLY the primarch of the Space Wolves, the best Space Marine chapter there is.

He's so badass the IG named their mainline tank after him.
    Sarcasm, the omnissiah failed to bless your detector.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 4 (list)

9. Post #449

August 2011
    836 Posts
    Sarcasm, the omnissiah failed to bless your detector.
    Wait...really? Fuck, where are those damned Tech Priests when you need them.

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,389 Posts
    Probably off jerking it to archeotech.

11. Post #451
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,618 Posts
    Playing Pong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts
    I need to suggest to my friend that we play much more killteam
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

13. Post #453
    boy i sure do love it when my title doesnt fit
    December 2009
    6,495 Posts
    Friend next to me got to wave 20 as a level 4 chaos sorcerer in last standalone.

My god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

14. Post #454
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,558 Posts
    Apparently, I've not seen the video and it was taken down, a video was released when Last Stand first came out, it had 3 Relic Devs at Level 1, reaching and beating level 20.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,352 Posts

Is it bad that when I first saw these on my Tumblr dashboard, that I thought it was a really fancy WH40K conversion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

16. Post #456
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,563 Posts
    Is it bad that when I first saw these on my Tumblr dashboard, that I thought it was a really fancy WH40K conversion?
    You mean it isn't? Awwwww.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #457
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,352 Posts
    You mean it isn't? Awwwww.
    Followed the reblogs back to the original, and apparently, it's not. It's about war, religion, and death?

18. Post #458
    January 2010
    6,544 Posts
    So yeah, in Retribution, I flipped so much shit when    you kill Thule as Chaos.   
    Makes sense, Eliphas and Thule absolutely hated eachother in DoW:DC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,769 Posts
    Is there a way to make it so that in DoWII I play as Tarkus and my friend plays the commander?

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,190 Posts
    Is there a way to make it so that in DoWII I play as Tarkus and my friend plays the commander?
    Have him host the game and assign Tarkus to you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    April 2010
    2,432 Posts
    Try the squad selection screen. If it isn't unlocked right away you might have to wait until you get Thaddeus.

Also I got a draw today, got paired against Blood Angels.

We were playing Objective Control, and I got to deploy and go first. There were 4 objectives; one at the back of my side by a ruin, one in a crater near the middle, one on a tower at the back of his side, and one in a crater on his side.

I held one Crusader squad with Bolters on the nearest objective at game start, I put another in a Rhino on the far left with the EC and the Marshall took control of the melee squad. The Terminus was on a hill by the ruin occupied by the Ranged Squad,so there was very little on the table it couldn't hit. He had Commander Dante and a squad of Sanguinary Guard, 5 Death Company and Astorath, and a Librarian Furioso in reserve, and he had a Razorback, a Tactical Squad, and a Terminator squad deployed on the left and right sides of the table.

I went first and I started by stunning the Razorback with the Terminus, then letting the Dreadnought finish it off with its Assault Cannon. I moved the Melee Squad into the middle crater to capture it, and I moved the Rhino up a bit. In his turn he deep striked Dante's squad into range of 3/4 of my army, and he got his Dreadnought to land next to it. He killed one Neophyte.

I retaliated by shooting with 12 Bolt Pistols, 2 Storm Bolters , the whole squad occupying my ruin, and the Dreadnought. I killed every one of them, except for Dante. I had deepstriked my CC Terminators in and he charged them, only killing one. "Uh oh." He got hit with 15 PW wounds.    He died.    The Terminus meanwhile blew up the Furioso, wiping out the only reliable AT weapon in his army. The only other units with a weapon capable of damaging my vehicles were the Terminator with Assault Cannon and his 2 Missile Launchers camping in his ruin. In the next turn he deep striked his Death Company into the exact same spot where the Sanguinary Guard got slaughtered. I managed to kill 3 men, which wasn't enough as I soon found out. His Death Company charged my Terminators and wiped them out, then consolidated and attacked my ruin squad. They got annihilated too.

Astorath and 2 Death Company wiped out 6 Terminators and 10 Crusaders in a turn. Ouch. Meanwhile on the far left of the board my Rhino Squad got stalled and had to disembark to attack the Termie squad I hadn't dealt with yet. When they charged the Emperors Champion killed 2 of his Termies before they even struck. Another two died to the PF Sergeant and one more got killed by a Crusader with a Bolter.

By the end I controlled just the mid point, and he controlled the ruins on his side. It was a draw, but I got the following killcount:

Commander Dante
    6 Sanguinary Guard
    3 Death Company
    5 Terminators
    Razorback
    Furioso Dreadnought

Ive got a whole week of matches to look forward to, starting with a 600pt per person Planet Strike game on Monday, a 600pt Tourney on Friday and my usual 1750pt match on Saturday. My christ, Warhammer is fun when you've got a place to try out your stuff after 3 years of collecting.

Also, a question. What sort of units are ideal for 600 pt games?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #462
    officer shitpost
    February 2011
    546 Posts
    Vulkan vs Fulgrim

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,739 Posts
    Last night I was watching robocop and the scene where the walker tries to walk down stairs and falls then can't get back up reminded me of the space marine weakness to stairs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

24. Post #464
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,190 Posts
    Last night I was watching robocop and the scene where the walker tries to walk down stairs and falls then can't get back up reminded me of the space marine weakness to stairs
    Were you looking through my window?
    I watched Robocop yesterday and I thought of the exact same thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,601 Posts
    Somehow Cain in Robocop 2 reminds me of Chaos dreadnoughts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

26. Post #466
    June 2011
    2,947 Posts
    I just learned that Warhammer 40k universe has dwarves

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Squats

why aren't they in any vidya game??!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Late x 5Friendly x 2Dumb x 2Optimistic x 2Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #467
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,358 Posts

Games Workshop declared Exterminatus on the Squats. Only a few scattered players and Dan Abnett remember them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #468
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,097 Posts
    HERESY SHIT
    *BLAM BLAM BLAM*

Nothing to see here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #469
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,366 Posts
    I was just searching for that, but couldn't find a good picture of him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

30. Post #470
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,399 Posts

They don't exist.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

31. Post #471
    June 2011
    2,947 Posts
    but they're so awesome ;_;

and it said there that there are a few that joined Space Marines and stuff.

Edited:

also here's something that's not a millennium old and extinct:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

32. Post #472
    August 2009
    12,442 Posts
    just take the joke that no one talks about the squa-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

33. Post #473
    just take the joke that no one talks about the squa-
    Squats squats squats, there I said it, squats are fine, just never mention zoa-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

34. Post #474
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    541 Posts
    How can I get superglue off my fingers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,618 Posts
    Let it dry and peel it off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,643 Posts
    Acetone.

Not saying it's good for your hands, but it'll damn sure get the super-glue off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #477
    It never was applejuice
    June 2008
    790 Posts
    Just got Blood Reaver, which follows the Night Lords. Would anyone recommend other books? I also saw Victories of the Space Marines, The Word Bearers and Space Wolves Omnibus, and the Ciaphas Cain and Horus Heresy series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Philippines Show Events

38. Post #478
    May 2011
    3,899 Posts
    For around 5 years anyone who mentioned squats on the GW forums were perma'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,618 Posts
    Just got Blood Reaver, which follows the Night Lords. Would anyone recommend other books? I also saw Victories of the Space Marines, The Word Bearers and Space Wolves Omnibus, and the Ciaphas Cain and Horus Heresy series.
    Soul Hunter, it's the one which came before it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

40. Post #480
    August 2009
    4,246 Posts
    squats? I don't know what you're talking about.
    squats do not exist, Roxerg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)