1. Post #881
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,503 Posts
    The TCN SMG is fine, just the Thumper is better in most situations, because "most situations" entails the cramped interiors of bases that techs tend to occupy. The SMG nerf was miniscule anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #882
    December 2009
    5,967 Posts
    Oh yay got my key, now to be completely horrible at this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #883
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,760 Posts
    There is no way I'll be able to download 2 gigs any time soon with my internet connection, should I just give away my key?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #884
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,591 Posts
    I'm starting to hit my shots

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Informative Informative x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #885
    January 2011
    707 Posts
    playing raider, lovin this class, i really want to try the grenade launcher but its 42k exp which is way too much for just a gun. does anyone know of a way to try out a weapon without spending? i dont wana spend 42k exp that i worked my ass off to get only to be disappointed by how terrible i am with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #886
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,565 Posts
    playing raider, lovin this class, i really want to try the grenade launcher but its 42k exp which is way too much for just a gun. does anyone know of a way to try out a weapon without spending? i dont wana spend 42k exp that i worked my ass off to get only to be disappointed by how terrible i am with it.
    Go into training mode and shoot some bots.

In training mode you can use any weapon and/or class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #887
    October 2009
    9,156 Posts
    So, due to the game being buggy, I tried reinstalling it...

As you can see, I have ZERO files related to either games on my computer, yet it insists that I have them installed...

...What.

Edited:

I apparently needed to run a separate uninstall .exe before THAT installer recognized that I didn't have the games...

Dumb, but whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #888
    ktr
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    291 Posts
    Combination of chaingun and land mines. :D

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #889
    July 2010
    3,726 Posts
    With the amount of Technicians and Doombringers just camping their teams flag stand/generator, pretty much killed half the fun of being a flag capturer and chaser. The only fun left in that role is skiing because you either get your ass shot off by the turrets or you have to figure out some elaborate path to get past the all the force fields. Then by some off chance you manage to nab their flag, they all go into rabid dog after a bone mode and will follow you until you get 30 spinfusors rammed up your ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #890
    July 2009
    1,205 Posts
    Go into training mode and shoot some bots.

In training mode you can use any weapon and/or class.
    Anything in particular I have to use anything in training mode? Because everything is still locked for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #891
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,565 Posts
    Anything in particular I have to use anything in training mode? Because everything is still locked for me.
    I don't know. I haven't tried after the new update. Sorry. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #892
    July 2009
    1,205 Posts
    Ah, that's a shame if they removed it, takes so long to get points in this that I'd really love to try before I buy anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #893
    March 2011
    4,909 Posts
    The TCN SMG is fine, just the Thumper is better in most situations, because "most situations" entails the cramped interiors of bases that techs tend to occupy. The SMG nerf was miniscule anyway.
    I think the smg nerf should have its nerf reduced, and the thumper should be toned down a bit. What they are aiming for will work, its just that the thumper, in its current state, is a fair bit more powerful as a whole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #894
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,503 Posts
    I think the smg nerf should have its nerf reduced, and the thumper should be toned down a bit. What they are aiming for will work, its just that the thumper, in its current state, is a fair bit more powerful as a whole.
    it does 85 damage now, which seems right for an SMG, and not the better-than-all-others 90 damage it did before.

Edited:

Speaking of TCN, new strategy: defend base until 3150 credits, then buy Shrike with Wheel Deal equipped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #895
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,000 Posts
    I love playing the pathfinder, but sadly i'm a total shazbot when it comes to skiing apparently and i usually peak at 130-145. is there any tips or am i doing something wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #896
    April 2011
    612 Posts
    I just downloaded this game and I plan on going as a heavy class (in memory of my old playstyle in tribes: aerial assault) and I was wondering which the best heavy class was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #897
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,154 Posts
    I love playing the pathfinder, but sadly i'm a total shazbot when it comes to skiing apparently and i usually peak at 130-145. is there any tips or am i doing something wrong?
    use your impact nitrons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #898
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,922 Posts
    Got this game today, about to give it a shot.

Is there any sort of FP group and/or friend-adding capabilities?

19. Post #899
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,503 Posts
    It's all about angles of attack. You want to get a steam drop on an incline and ski down it, then when you hit an upward slope you want to jetpack over it, and repeat on the back side.

Edited:

The ski tutorial does a pretty good job of explaining it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

20. Post #900
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,471 Posts
    I just downloaded this game and I plan on going as a heavy class (in memory of my old playstyle in tribes: aerial assault) and I was wondering which the best heavy class was.
    Default juggernaut is all you could want in a heavy class.
    Doombringers are a really bad class due to the fact that they disregard everything tribes is about.
    Brutes are cool but they have stupid overpowered grenades and you lose your soul by playing as one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #901
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,000 Posts
    It's all about angles of attack. You want to get a steam drop on an incline and ski down it, then when you hit an upward slope you want to jetpack over it, and repeat on the back side.

Edited:

The ski tutorial does a pretty good job of explaining it.
    I try, sometimes it works but most of the time i find that i am going too fast and fly over the hill once i am done scaling it with jetpack boost.

Regardless i am going back to the ski training, to perfect the sacred art of going fast

22. Post #902
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    it does 85 damage now
    80 last time I checked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #903
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,503 Posts
    Default juggernaut is all you could want in a heavy class.
    Doombringers are a really bad class due to the fact that they disregard everything tribes is about.
    Brutes are cool but they have stupid overpowered grenades and you lose your soul by playing as one.
    Dooms are amazing HoF. Chaingun lets you tear up people coming straight at the flag, mines gib pathfinders, and shields blocks projectiles and also gibs pathfinders, or atleast slows them down. In every other position they suck pretty hard though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #904
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,296 Posts
    Got my key on Facebook, if you like their page they give you a key. I've been playing almost non stop since.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #905
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,710 Posts
    Really liking the Raider. Its a shame the Arx Buster is so useless, cause I like the idea of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #906
    Really liking the Raider. Its a shame the Arx Buster is so useless, cause I like the idea of it.
    Why do people keep saying the Arx buster is useless? It's amazing

it rips right through everything if you can get at least 1-2 stickies on a target and then if they're not dead you switch out to the SMG and murder them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #907
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,154 Posts
    Because its very hard to get stickies on a moving target
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #908
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    They are made for in door combat. Hard outside but you can get a lot of kills with it inside. (at least from what I hear since I don't have it myself)

29. Post #909
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,565 Posts
    Why do people keep saying the Arx buster is useless? It's amazing

it rips right through everything if you can get at least 1-2 stickies on a target and then if they're not dead you switch out to the SMG and murder them.
    The damage it does is irrelevant when you cannot hit your target. I tried using it and had to stop because I was getting about 1 kill every 5 minutes. I would rather use something more reliable so I can be useful to my team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

30. Post #910
    May 2011
    2,431 Posts
    well that was fun, was losing 0-4 so our entire team went into defensive mode. we won. they could not go 2 feet with our flag before getting destroyed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

31. Post #911
    ktr
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    291 Posts
    With the amount of Technicians and Doombringers just camping their teams flag stand/generator, pretty much killed half the fun of being a flag capturer and chaser. The only fun left in that role is skiing because you either get your ass shot off by the turrets or you have to figure out some elaborate path to get past the all the force fields. Then by some off chance you manage to nab their flag, they all go into rabid dog after a bone mode and will follow you until you get 30 spinfusors rammed up your ass.
    I have to disagree with you on this. Going lone wolf for the flag is suicidal, as you have mentioned. However, with team coordination (this is a team based game after all) with taking down the enemy generators to hammering the enemy flag stand with mortar and tactical strikes can easily over come the turrets, force fields, mines, and HOFs set in place by the enemy.

I rack up many kills while playing D with Doombringer and Technicians simply because the enemy is uncoordinated, one by one, thinking they can tango against turrets, force fields, mines, and HOFs set in place by themselves.

32. Post #912
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,356 Posts
    So did they remove being able to try all classes in training mode?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

33. Post #913
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,710 Posts
    So did they remove being able to try all classes in training mode?
    I think it kinda got broken by the class update, my guess is they'll patch it back in later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #914
    April 2011
    612 Posts
    So I was wondering, is the sniper class any good?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #915
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,330 Posts
    The most satisfying moment is when you've been chased from their base back to yours, you're on <100 health remaining, and you just turn around and blow the fucker that was following you to high heaven.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #916
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,296 Posts
    I like grabbing the flag at 200kph, they never know what happened.

37. Post #917
    wug
    Tumornator 2: Judgement Day
    June 2010
    2,724 Posts
    I usually peak at around 200.
    Try jetpacking as high as possible, then coming in as fast as you can onto a slope. It should get you to 200, then use your impact nitron to get to around 220.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

38. Post #918
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,503 Posts
    I hit 240 as path. Thrustpack down hill, nitron, then bolt jump, clear flag of explosives, and fly in hoping for the best.

I got a 287 flag grab yesterday after a fusion mortar propelled me right out of their base. 7 second cap on Arx Novena where I flew over the middle aquaduct and landed just below our flag. Couldn't have set it up even better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

39. Post #919
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,040 Posts
    So when you Tribes: Ascend with you jetpack, you hold spacebar for Tribes: Descend, right? I think I'm getting the hand of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #920
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,812 Posts
    Or, you know, work with your team.

Edited:

So I was wondering, is the sniper class any good?
    For picking off injured flag runners, yes. Everything else? No.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events