1. Post #3881
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,876 Posts
    Were you going slow?
    No, he was playing Diamond Sword.

Edited:

So yes, actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner x 8Funny x 2Optimistic x 1Agree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #3882
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,168 Posts
    I'm seriously considering a small team sometime in the near future, Either Facerake or Shazpunch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3883
    January 2011
    337 Posts
    I've told you already
    Facebutchers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #3884
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,168 Posts
    I've told you already
    Facebutchers
    Or that, I was creating names trying to remember that actually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #3885
    January 2012
    529 Posts

Edited:

So yes, actually.

Sand rakers 4 lyf brah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #3886
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    THE LAST THING THAT NEEDED A NERF
    That's not too bad. All it really stops is people from throwing down turrets when they're about to die to get a revenge kill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #3887
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,233 Posts
    Were you going slow?
    I once captured a flag at walking speed

So yes :(

Edited:

Edited:

So yes, actually.
    Diamond sword looks terrible I never play as them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #3888
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,880 Posts
    Tech gets an improved version of the Soldiers Thumper DX. Does too much damage for a class which has turrets as a back-up, should be on par with the thumper DX, not a bigger, better version of it. It wouldn't 1 shot Inf's at least then.
    It can one-shot the class that has the easiest time avoiding getting hit and can still instakill the Tech with grenades or backstabbing. If a Tech uses a Thumper, he has no backup weapon. Indoors the range is limited due to arc, outdoors it's only good at point blank range anyways. He can't chase, or even hit someone outrunning him. It's a limited weapon that is powerful in a few situations but overall isn't game-breakingly awesome.

The Soldier's DX isn't meant to be his primary weapon, so it's not directly comparable. A better comparison is Spinfusor to Thumper- and the Spinfusor is better in nearly every way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #3889
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,313 Posts
    The Thumper DX is already really strong in both indoor and outdoor, I don't want to know what the upgraded Tech version does.
    But I can tell you that backstabbing is really hard in this game. And hitting them with your grenade is even harder, if it even kills them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #3890
    January 2007
    7,880 Posts
    The Thumper DX is already really strong in both indoor and outdoor, I don't want to know what the upgraded Tech version does.
    About 15% more damage and has a longer self-detonation timer.

But I can tell you that backstabbing is really hard in this game. And hitting them with your grenade is even harder, if it even kills them.
    Take down generator, hide in corner, cloak, wait for Tech to come along to fix, easy backstab/nade stick.

11. Post #3891
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,543 Posts
    It can one-shot the class that has the easiest time avoiding getting hit and can still instakill the Tech with grenades or backstabbing. If a Tech uses a Thumper, he has no backup weapon. Indoors the range is limited due to arc, outdoors it's only good at point blank range anyways. He can't chase, or even hit someone outrunning him. It's a limited weapon that is powerful in a few situations but overall isn't game-breakingly awesome.

The Soldier's DX isn't meant to be his primary weapon, so it's not directly comparable. A better comparison is Spinfusor to Thumper- and the Spinfusor is better in nearly every way.
    The thumper and spinfusor are actually kind of on-par. You may see the arc as a downside but in some situations, especially close combat, it much easier to land near-hits with an arcing weapon.

That's a problem because the tech also has turrets which add to his damage output. Techs will generally baby-sit their turrets and the firepower tech + turrets comprises of is massive.

That said, the tech will be maybe too weak when the gen is down, but that is a different issue that might need to be changed.

Edited:

Take down generator, hide in corner, cloak, wait for Tech to come along to fix, easy backstab/nade stick.
    Lets compare to a decent tech:

Walk into gen room, search around the corners to weed out any infs, one-shot-kill any you find with the thumper, start to repair but keep moving around so its near impossible for infs to land a sticky, carry the close combat perk so the backstab does shit-all besides revealing the inf, who you can one-shot-kill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #3892
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    Wow, this update was horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11 (list)

13. Post #3893
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,592 Posts
    Gotta love it when you watch a guy fly in a perfectly straight line and get pancaked by a base turret and then he immediately says 'OMG WTF BASE TURRETS SO OP"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

14. Post #3894
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,080 Posts
    Goddamnit! Tribes isn't even patching for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #3895
    January 2007
    7,880 Posts
    The thumper and spinfusor are actually kind of on-par.
    As it should be. That's balance, the Tech isn't a non-combat class. He's a Soldier who trades a secondary weapon and lots of energy for a repair tool and gimmicky turrets.

That's a problem because the tech also has turrets which add to his damage output. Techs will generally baby-sit their turrets and the firepower tech + turrets comprises of is massive.
    Turrets are also very easy to destroy, especially if the Tech is being so kind as to stand next to them so the attacks hurt both the Tech and his turret. Their damage is individually low enough for players to notice and destroy them before being pecked to death, requiring the Tech to stay near them and make himself vulnerable to keep them from being taken out piecemeal. And even then they can be bypassed by a cloaked Infiltrator, and once the gen is down they're no longer a threat at all.

I'm not saying the Tech isn't dangerous indoors with his turrets up- but that's exactly how it should be, because on offense those turrets aren't too useful and outside they get blown up before they can do much. This scenario of a Tech with a Thumper in his base guarded by two turrets is literally the best situation a Tech can be in, he should be powerful. That same Tech outdoors with no turret support is far less of a threat.

Lets compare to a decent tech:

Walk into gen room, search around the corners to weed out any infs, one-shot-kill any you find with the thumper, start to repair but keep moving around so its near impossible for infs to land a sticky, carry the close combat perk so the backstab does shit-all besides revealing the inf, who you can one-shot-kill.
    Just looking in corners won't find a cloaked Inf, if he shoots into every corner it wastes precious time and can be avoided, and if he walks into the corners to check them he's just asking to be stuck with a grenade. Once he starts repairing, a couple of tossed grenades directed at the generator will kill him outright, knock him into the bottomless abyss on some maps, or at least take off enough health that a shot or two from the Stealth Spinfusor will finish him off.

It's not brainlessly easy for either class, but it's by no means impossible to do a lot of damage as an Infiltrator against even competent Techs.

16. Post #3896
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    Really, the new generator placement is horrible. It completely breaks the flow of the maps. That combined with the new infiltrator speed uncloak thing makes the class impossible to play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

17. Post #3897
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,592 Posts
    Really, the new generator placement is horrible. It completely breaks the flow of the maps. That combined with the new infiltrator speed uncloak thing makes the class impossible to play.
    170 is a perfectly reasonable speed limit for the cloak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #3898
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,543 Posts
    As it should be. That's balance, the Tech isn't a non-combat class. He's a Soldier who trades a secondary weapon and lots of energy for a repair tool and gimmicky turrets.
    I see your point, but consider firstly that the tech can have a secondary, and good ones at that. Secondly, how are turrets gimmicky? They are fantastic at flag and even gen defence, they do decent damage, and importantly - they can't be destroyed in one hit by a light-spinfusor, meaning usually a pathfinder can't just casually take them out on his run like he can with clays and mines.

Turrets are also very easy to destroy, especially if the Tech is being so kind as to stand next to them so the attacks hurt both the Tech and his turret. Their damage is individually low enough for players to notice and destroy them before being pecked to death, requiring the Tech to stay near them and make himself vulnerable to keep them from being taken out piecemeal. And even then they can be bypassed by a cloaked Infiltrator, and once the gen is down they're no longer a threat at all.

I'm not saying the Tech isn't dangerous indoors with his turrets up- but that's exactly how it should be, because on offense those turret's aren't too useful and outside they get blown up before they can do much. This scenario of a Tech with a Thumper in his base guarded by two turrets is literally the best situation a Tech can be in, he should be powerful.
    Like I said, light classes will have a decently hard time trying to kill a turret without losing too much health, think about the damage: just 10 shots from a turret will kill a pathfinder. Raiders and that will have no trouble at all but that is what they are made for. More importantly perhaps, you describe it as if turrets should be self sufficient, but they shouldn't be. The tech should and needs to defend his turrets, or place them in a place where they compliment other defenses such as heavies, forcewalls, or clays. The fact is the turrets + tech is a powerful combination just with the smg, so all things considered the tech shouldn't get a gun on-par with soldier. I've played tech plenty and nearly every time I top the scoreboard in kills (not that it matters) because of how effective good turret placement is.

Just looking in corners won't find a cloaked Inf, if he shoots into every corner it wastes precious time and can be avoided, and if he walks into the corners to check them he's just asking to be stuck with a grenade. Once he starts repairing, a couple of tossed grenades directed at the generator will kill him outright, knock him into the bottomless abyss on some maps, or at least take off enough health that a shot or two from the Stealth Spinfusor will finish him off.

It's not brainlessly easy for either class, but it's by no means impossible to do a lot of damage as an Infiltrator against even competent Techs.
    You say looking around doesn't help, but you will find that when you get close enough an inf will light up like it's christmas. Additionally tech really has no issue with ammo since he's base-bound. The solution to those other things is simply awareness, I can say from experience that while inf's are real pests they are not unstoppable and you're doing something wrong if they manage to one-hit-kill you or kill you before you react too many times.

Edited:

That combined with the new infiltrator speed uncloak thing makes the class impossible to play.
    I'm starting to write essays here but what the hell.

Why should the inf get to go fast while cloaked? Did you really think invis-grabbing was a fair strategy? Anyone could have seen this nerf coming because infs just playing super-capper is dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #3899
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    170 is a perfectly reasonable speed limit for the cloak.
    When you can get the shit pummeled out of you just for not properly regulating your speed when approaching a base, it's a huge issue.
    The real issue I have with this update is the generator placement and the swear-block, though.

Edited:

They should at the very least remove the speed uncloaking for deathmatch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

20. Post #3900
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,552 Posts
    I love the new map
    It's large, I can go fast, and the cap routes are interesting and fast (especially the front-to-back one which turns into a back-to-front route because of the half pipe)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #3901
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,543 Posts
    When you can get the shit pummeled out of you just for not properly regulating your speed when approaching a base, it's a huge issue.
    Do pathfinders 'get the shit pummeled' out of them when they approach a base?

I don't see any reason why inf should basically get invulnerability all the way to the enemy base because no-one can see them.

geez some people act like inf should be this world of warcraft rogue which just goes wherever it pleases and instantly kills anyone with a backstab

Edited:

I love the new map
    It's large, I can go fast, and the cap routes are interesting and fast (especially the front-to-back one which turns into a back-to-front route because of the half pipe)
    the halfpipe is really awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #3902
    January 2012
    529 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 26Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #3903
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    Do pathfinders 'get the shit pummeled' out of them when they approach a base?

I don't see any reason why inf should basically get invulnerability all the way to the enemy base because no-one can see them.

geez some people act like inf should be this world of warcraft rogue which just goes wherever it pleases and instantly kills anyone with a backstab

Edited:

the halfpipe is really awesome
    Pathfinders have the ability to defend themselves, and fight moderately large numbers of enemies outdoors.

24. Post #3904
    January 2007
    7,880 Posts
    I see your point, but consider firstly that the tech can have a secondary, and good ones at that. Secondly, how are turrets gimmicky? They are fantastic at flag and even gen defence, they do decent damage, and importantly - they can't be destroyed in one hit by a light-spinfusor, meaning usually a pathfinder can't just casually take them out on his run like he can with clays and mines.
    The Tech can take a secondary, but then he has no repair tool. Then he's just a Soldier that traded energy for turrets, making him better indoors but worse outdoors and especially worse on offense where he can't rearm when he loses a turret.

I call turrets gimmicky because they deal very little damage and are incredibly easy to blow up, making unsupported kills luck more than anything else. Sometimes I see them get a kill against a lone Light or already-wounded Medium, but much more often if I'm not right there I just see a couple of '65's pop up before suddenly stopping, indicating that the target has blown up the turret and moved on. You're right that a light spinfusor can't one-shot them, but grenades take them out very quickly and can be quickly tossed around corners.

Like I said, light classes will have a decently hard time trying to kill a turret without losing too much health, think about the damage: just 10 shots from a turret will kill a pathfinder. Raiders and that will have no trouble at all but that is what they are made for. More importantly perhaps, you describe it as if turrets should be self sufficient, but they shouldn't be. The tech should and needs to defend his turrets, or place them in a place where they compliment other defenses such as heavies, forcewalls, or clays. The fact is the turrets + tech is a powerful combination just with the smg, so all things considered the tech shouldn't get a gun on-par with soldier. I've played tech plenty and nearly every time I top the scoreboard in kills (not that it matters) because of how effective good turret placement is.
    Ten shots from a turret is about three seconds of continuous fire, which is plenty of time for the target to realize he's under attack and get out of the line of fire. Even if he takes a lot of damage, he'll probably heal before the Tech can come running to deal with him. You're absolutely right about turrets not being self sufficient, my point is really that on their own they're very weak, making them just another tool in the Tech's arsenal that still depends on him being able to fight in order to be effective. The Tech can't just walk away and leave them because they'll be easily destroyed, which means the Tech has to be nearby (making him vulnerable) when they're in use, and he has to contribute to the kill.

Outdoors, they can be picked off from a distance with ease. Indoors, a Raider with Arx Buster or a Doombringer can kill a Tech and his turrets pretty easily. Pathfinders can zip past turrets while capping, taking only a hit or two. Infiltrators can cloak and ignore them entirely, then take out the generator. When an enemy Light or Medium runs straight into a pair of turrets and then takes a Thumper to the face, he dies quickly- but that's pretty rare. And of course, once the generator goes down, the Tech is essentially reduced to a weaker Soldier.

Basically, Techs with turrets can be very powerful and dangerous to base attackers, but it's highly situational. Certain classes can go toe-to-toe with the Tech and his turrets, while others can ignore them entirely, and either way once the generator's down the Tech is very vulnerable. Against multiple enemies, they go down through attrition since the Tech can only carry one backup turret at a time. Where they shine is in defending the generator against an opportunistic Soldier or Pathfinder, while some of the more specialized classes present a much greater threat. Personally I think that's fair.

You say looking around doesn't help, but you will find that when you get close enough an inf will light up like it's christmas. Additionally tech really has no issue with ammo since he's base-bound. The solution to those other things is simply awareness, I can say from experience that while inf's are real pests they are not unstoppable and you're doing something wrong if they manage to one-hit-kill you or kill you before you react too many times.
    Like I said, when they get close enough they're just asking to be stuck with a grenade. Ammo's not the issue, it's time- your generator's down, so taking the time to put a Thumper shell into every corner of the room is wasting precious seconds you could be using to repair.

I completely agree with your second sentence. Good Techs can kill Infs, good Infs can kill Techs. I was originally responding to someone saying that it's overpowered that the Thumper can one-shot Infs, my point was that the Inf has a couple of ways to kill Techs just as easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #3905
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    You doin it wrong

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 19Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #3906
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,592 Posts
    Turret placement on Temple Ruins makes offense and flag grabbing a massively difficult task.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #3907
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,443 Posts
    As an avid Infilitrator player (it was one of my favorite rolls in T2), I can assure that backstabbing is quite useless in Ascend. The range is pathetic, it reveals you when you stab, does mediocre damage (even with Close Combat) and if the enemy has Close Combat, you do shit for damage.

Sticky Grenades are hard to hit with, especially if the tech is ADADADADADA strafing around the generator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #3908
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,677 Posts
    Anyone else stuck at logging in please wait. Because its really annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

29. Post #3909
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    Turret placement on Temple Ruins makes offense and flag grabbing a massively difficult task.
    im not really liking the new map so far, its amazing for speed, but shitty for sniping(for me at least) offense is SUPER easy once the gen is down and the new arena mode has been ruined for me... the 4 games i played were a bunch of low rank newbies on my team versus a bunch of 20+ rank skilled players... was a nightmare and i refuse to play it for the time being

Edited:

Anyone else stuck at logging in please wait. Because its really annoying.
    my friend just got that, said he logged in after like, a minute of waiting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

30. Post #3910
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    865 Posts
    So is Rabbit like

gone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #3911
    September 2008
    1,102 Posts
    Well that bug where you get sent back the the main menu is still around, but now you just get stuck in a screen with only two options, "Return to Game" and "Buy Gold." they don't work though.

32. Post #3912
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,592 Posts
    So I just spawned on Bella Omega and this dude walks infront of me. He was a heavy with the model of a light
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

33. Post #3913
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,171 Posts
    Should I get Potential Energy or Survivalist first?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #3914
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,592 Posts
    So I found some files in the game files called "Backup generator" and "Lacerator"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 6Informative Informative x 2 (list)

35. Post #3915
    January 2012
    529 Posts
    Should I get Potential Energy or Survivalist first?
    Survivalist imo.

Potential energy is only really good coupled with the shield packs of the Raider & Brute, where-as survivalist can be good on nearly all other classes, except Pathfinder for Egocentric.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #3916
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    The new map is great, feels a lot more like Tribes 1 and 2.

Bases are pretty well designed, and the steep hills are nice. I got to 300+ Sanics a few times.

37. Post #3917
    February 2012
    339 Posts
    Bought VIP and 800 gold today, got a 10 day booster and Survivalist with the gold :D

Time to play non-stop for 10 days!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #3918
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    I love impact nitrons. I llama grabbed the flag to stop them from capping, then got the highest speed of the round flying back

Also it seems they can no longer knock the flag out of your own hands when you throw them, so that's nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #3919
    February 2012
    339 Posts
    I love impact nitrons. I llama grabbed the flag to stop them from capping, then got the highest speed of the round flying back

Also it seems they can no longer knock the flag out of your own hands when you throw them, so that's nice.
    Off topic : Watching your avatar and listening to music gets addictive.

On topic : I am still pretty slow at the minute, never a good thing on this game. I'll be able to catch people like you soon enough!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #3920
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    Off topic : Watching your avatar and listening to music gets addictive.

On topic : I am still pretty slow at the minute, never a good thing on this game. I'll be able to catch people like you soon enough!
    Get the Egocentric perk, and upgrade your impact nitrons. Go all the sanics.

Also I can't connect to the servers at the moment, even though it says they're up. Anyone else having trouble?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)