1. Post #2761
    Amazing, friendly, trustable and there for you when you're in deep shit
    March 2010
    3,651 Posts
    What character do you guys usually use? I stick to Magdalene because heartssssssss
    Other times i play Isaac just because he's original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2762
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,713 Posts
    Crying about me making a joke "Why are you still here :(((" is rude in itself, so uh, don't really feel bad about that.
    Rudeness is met with rudeness. What else do you expect?

And same with the Depths thing, I still find it absolutely ludicrous that it can take someone 35 hours to beat it. That's almost as if saying it takes 2 full days of nonstop playing. It's excessive and c'mon. When I said I wanted to watch to see how people play, I didn't mean it maliciously, I actually was just curious to what the hells going wrong that it takes that long? Is the person running straight into enemies? Is it just not clicking on how to dodge attacks? What's going on? Coming into a thread and saying it's taken THAT long with nothing to explain why is confusing and can't really offer any help that the person clearly needs.
    Not everyone is a fast learner. There are a number of mechanics that are foreign to new players once they get the game -- it takes time and experience before they can become familiar with the item mechanics, enemy patterns, and how to control their character and attacks to their fullest usefulness.

And I'm aware Edmund is the Designer/Artist. Thing is, he's the only one ANYONE ever talks about, and during the whole lead up to WOTL he was constantly talking about how HE was adding stuff to the game. Whenever patches are released you can only find the notes on Edmunds blog etc. Florian's probably still working on it but dudes name isn't as prominent so it's easy to just say Edmund and know what a person means.
    Florian's name isn't commonly used because he's not the one that communicates with the community because he's too busy. His name and Edmund's name are both blazoned on the startup credits, there's no excuse for not knowing who he is unless you've never started the game or even looked at the Steam Store page for the game.

The game design, art, and gameplay are Edmund's property. The game engine and code belong to Florian. The music belongs to Danny.

There's a very clear divide between who does what for the game. As far as Edmund claiming that he was adding content to the game, he wasn't lying at all -- he was the one who explicitly designed the item mechanics, enemy mechanics, and room layouts, Florian churned them out and made them into a reality. It was a collaborative effort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #2763
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,938 Posts
    Cain or Judas
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #2764
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,713 Posts
    What character do you guys usually use? I stick to Magdalene because heartssssssss
    I prefer to switch between all of the characters with random. It keeps the game fresh for me.

The only character I sorely dislike is Maggie because I find little use for red hearts beyond the early game, so her Yum Heart feels less useful to me. With all of the new mechanics that reward damaging yourself, I have found some more use for her, but once I get those soul hearts, that Yum Heart is as good as useless unless I can find an arcade or a blood donation machine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

5. Post #2765
    March 2010
    946 Posts
    I just beat the    Cathedral    with isaac, but did not get the    d20   . Is it necessary to get the D6 first?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #2766
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,064 Posts
    I usually play Judas, cause I like his damage/potential damage output.

Edited:

And same with the Depths thing, I still find it absolutely ludicrous that it can take someone 35 hours to beat it. That's almost as if saying it takes 2 full days of nonstop playing. It's excessive and c'mon. When I said I wanted to watch to see how people play, I didn't mean it maliciously, I actually was just curious to what the hells going wrong that it takes that long? Is the person running straight into enemies? Is it just not clicking on how to dodge attacks? What's going on? Coming into a thread and saying it's taken THAT long with nothing to explain why is confusing and can't really offer any help that the person clearly needs.
    I don't know why you keep dogging on the 35 hours thing, it's the only point you have on your side of the argument. You can't just "get good" at games, you have to play them over and over again, and like Psychopath said, not everyone learns at the same speed. And the way you said you wanted to watch us play came off as jackass-ish, and was thus responded to negatively. One more thing, there is plenty of good gamers in this thread, and if someone explicitly wants help, they will ask. If someone doesn't ask, we can all just safely assume they don't need help and are doing fine at learning on their own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #2767
    Max
    Ikuu~
    May 2009
    15,146 Posts
    Look at 29:40 in this video

That's lucky

Edited:

If it wasn't for that last second life steal he would have been pretty fucked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #2768
    Isaac or Cain.

Isaac because D6 and Cain because Lucky Foot (+ Speed and Damage).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #2769

After getting some more money from a friend, I bought another plush.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

10. Post #2770
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,713 Posts
    Look at 29:40 in this video

That's lucky

Edited:

If it wasn't for that last second life steal he would have been pretty fucked
    He could have easily gotten another health up from that beggar that he blatantly told to fuck off. It's not like he had any other use for that money anyway.

He was very lucky that Charm of the Vampire and the Wafer saved his ass during that fight, but he could have potentially avoided needing that luck by being more thorough in his exploration.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2771
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,637 Posts
    Am I the only one who prefers a high rate of fire/200 tears on screen at once, over a slow burst like brimstone/fetus? (However mom's knife just rubs me the right way)
    Brimstone is my go-to item for three reasons:
    1) It's powerful as fuck. If the fire-rate is too slow I charge it before I enter a room and as soon as I fire off a shot.
    2) Piercing. Because fuck Knights.
    3) Nothing stops it. Not rocks, not fire, not other enemies, nothing. It's a can of distilled rape.
    I always grab Brimstone if I can, even if it would only leave me with 1 heart container. Because with Brimstone, I become the mother-fucking Rape Train, and we all know about the brakes on the Rape Train by now.

Edited:

He could have easily gotten another health up from that beggar that he blatantly told to fuck off. It's not like he had any other use for that money anyway.

He was very lucky that Charm of the Vampire and the Wafer saved his ass during that fight, but he could have potentially avoided needing that luck by being more thorough in his exploration.
    I don't know how/why people blow off beggars after the luck I've had with them. It may cost me 2 cents, it may cost me 20, but you get some damn good items ranging from power-ups to health-ups to gems like Tech 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2772
    Max
    Ikuu~
    May 2009
    15,146 Posts
    So you have to beat the Cathedral in "The Purist" challenge?

Fuck this fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2773
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,938 Posts
    Yeah, killing Satan in "Isaac was good today" challenge was hard enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events

14. Post #2774
    Max
    Ikuu~
    May 2009
    15,146 Posts
    I mean, killing    Isaac/??? (in my case ??? which makes this even HARDER)    is hard enough without the lack of treasure rooms.

You need some serious luck/skill to beat this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #2775
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,423 Posts
    Is the getting stuck in the mom fight back again? :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #2776
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,713 Posts
    I mean, killing    Isaac/??? (in my case ??? which makes this even HARDER)    is hard enough without the lack of treasure rooms.

You need some serious luck/skill to beat this.
    Here's what you should be on the lookout for when doing a purist run:

Shops
    Beggars
    Secret Rooms
    Libraries
    Devil Rooms

Given that the only way to get items is from those locations, you'd better be on the prowl. Taking no damage and having a stock of keys and money works best as secret rooms aren't always in reliable locations due to how the super secret rooms are positioned prior to secret rooms -- this allows secret rooms to share borders with only 2 normal rooms instead of the conventional 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

17. Post #2777
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,307 Posts
    Started a run with samson to beat satan. got an amazing set up, fully ready to go. Accidentally walked into the beam of light instead from force of habit and was too fast to slow down in time. I'm crying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #2778
    March 2010
    946 Posts
    No, fuck you Death. You think you can just stop by and ruin my run? Fuck you.

Aside from that, a familiar based challenge would be cool. You would start with brother bobby, and get a random new familiar each floor.

What the hell? I just beat sheol as spiderboy and got no item. What's going on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

19. Post #2779
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Got amazing run as Samson, suddenly a room with 9 green enemies that throws bombs and walks.

I died shortly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

20. Post #2780
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,478 Posts

I'm the REAL Duke of Flies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #2781
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,307 Posts
    Started a run with samson to beat satan. got an amazing set up, fully ready to go. Accidentally walked into the beam of light instead from force of habit and was too fast to slow down in time. I'm crying.
    I DID IT AGAIN FOR FUCK SAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 5Winner x 2Dumb x 2Funny x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #2782
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,660 Posts
    Do you have any tips for someone that can't beat Mom or even sometime get to her? Is any character better for a "beguinner" like myself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

23. Post #2783
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,755 Posts
    Do you have any tips for someone that can't beat Mom or even sometime get to her? Is any character better for a "beguinner" like myself?
    If it's health problems, Magdeline features high health and a health generation item.

If it's shit luck, Cain is a great pick, as all pills will have positive (or at least no stat lower effects) and seems to win more frequently with slot machines and the cup-hobo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

24. Post #2784
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,423 Posts
    The most devilish room in the update has to be the 1 square lanes with two nutsack flies and two greed heads.
    I HATE IT!

Oh also the room with 10 green zombies and holes everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #2785
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,473 Posts
    I still get pissed off every time I go into one of those rooms with a one-square-wide walkway and those charging worm enemies. If you don't have very high firepower, or flight or something, it's literally impossible to avoid getting hit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #2786
    December 2010
    968 Posts
    I just had three runs in a row as Judas where I'd spawn in the cellar and I'd enter a room that forces you to walk around the perimeter of the room due to rocks. Four Mulligoons or whatever they're called with bombs stuck to their heads spawn, two on each side coming in a pincer-like formation with rocks in front of me and there's nowhere I can go. Since there's two on each side I can't kill them in time, and then with my one heart I end up dying to the explosion. FFS.

Anyway, all I have to do is beat Sheol and the Cathedral as Judas and Samson, do 9 challenges, collect like 20 more secrets and some more items, then do the no damage achievements and I'll be 100%. Man, this game has a lot of longevity.

27. Post #2787
    December 2009
    1,517 Posts
    I'm fairly new to the game (I've had it but just started getting into it),
    what's this "D6" people speak of?

28. Post #2788
    October 2010
    10,403 Posts
    thats cool, had a good setup going in the caves, enter room with half a heart with no way to gain back any hearts at all and instantly get killed by one of the worms that shoot things and i could move because it was a narrow walkway with pits
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

29. Post #2789
    I'm fairly new to the game (I've had it but just started getting into it),
    what's this "D6" people speak of?
    Unlockable Starting Item for Isaac, activated with Space. It re-rolls any item in the room, meaning a Yum Heart could become Mom's Knife, Brother Bobby etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

30. Post #2790
    October 2010
    10,403 Posts
    How do I figure out what items I have unlocked? As in, the ones you need to do challenges for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

31. Post #2791
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,307 Posts
    I DID IT AGAIN FOR FUCK SAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    third times a charm. thank fuck.

am i the only one finding mega fetus on almost every run now? Of my last 10 runs I got mega fetus on 6 or 7 of them, always the only item I'd find in a secret room.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #2792
    April 2011
    411 Posts
    Everything is about the items. Your goal up until the final boss is to build a good enough setup so that you will be able to blast blindly through whatever the boss sends at you. When you take a holdable item over another, remember that you want your item to: 1. Help you against mom. 2. Help you get an item that will.

1. Items in shops will cost 15 coins. Do not enter a shop unless you have 15 coins.
    2. Each floor has a secret room. Secret rooms are not marked on the map, but they will have three regular rooms surrounding them. Secret rooms can often have coins or maybe even an item. Getting nine coins on the first floor can earn you the item from the first shop.
    3. Clear out early floors, getting as much supplies as you can. Once you beat the boss, you do not have to jump down. If you find a blood donation machine, feed all stray hearts into it. Every penny counts.
    4. If you don't get hit at all in a floor, there is a chance for a devil room. There you can trade hearts for items. Some of the items are worth it even if you get hit, namely brimstone (if it gets fixed).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

33. Post #2793
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,637 Posts
    Everything is about the items. Your goal up until the final boss is to build a good enough setup so that you will be able to blast blindly through whatever the boss sends at you. When you take a holdable item over another, remember that you want your item to: 1. Help you against mom. 2. Help you get an item that will.

1. Items in shops will cost 15 coins. Do not enter a shop unless you have 15 coins.
    2. Each floor has a secret room. Secret rooms are not marked on the map, but they will have three regular rooms surrounding them. Secret rooms can often have coins or maybe even an item. Getting nine coins on the first floor can earn you the item from the first shop.
    3. Clear out early floors, getting as much supplies as you can. Once you beat the boss, you do not have to jump down. If you find a blood donation machine, feed all stray hearts into it. Every penny counts.
    4. If you don't get hit at all in a floor, there is a chance for a devil room. There you can trade hearts for items. Some of the items are worth it even if you get hit, namely brimstone (if it gets fixed).
    Actually, if you have plenty of keys it's worth checking out the shop if you have 7 cents or more. Did that once on the first floor an, lo and behold, Fetus in a Jar on sale for 7 cents.

34. Post #2794
    Person
    June 2008
    5,734 Posts

1. Sometimes they're on sale, and killing the fires can give you coins.
    2. It doesn't have to be three, it could be two. Also, floors also have secret-secret rooms, that have only one room connected to them.
    3. Okay
    4. The criteria aren't known for the devil room.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2795
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,307 Posts
    Edmunds said stuff about what makes a devil room appear before actually. Giving beggars money lessens it, killing them increases it, and the less damage you take the more likely it is to appear. if you take no damage and kill beggars you're most likely gonna get a devil room, but even just taking no damage almost always gives me a devil room.

36. Post #2796
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,706 Posts
    Edmunds said stuff about what makes a devil room appear before actually. Giving beggars money lessens it, killing them increases it, and the less damage you take the more likely it is to appear. if you take no damage and kill beggars you're most likely gonna get a devil room, but even just taking no damage almost always gives me a devil room.
    Depends on when the last devil room spawned as well.

You can't get a devil room on Basement/Cellar 1 either. The formula is on the wiki.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

37. Post #2797
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,115 Posts
    Luck up is pretty insane with tough love and goats hoof.
    Melts evrything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

38. Post #2798
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    26,205 Posts
    I've gotten SMB Fan and Mega Fetus on almost every run now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #2799
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,423 Posts
    I've gotten SMB Fan and Mega Fetus on almost every run now
    That's why I have not been playing lately. The same items over and over. I really hope the next patch he finally levels it out.

Ipecac, SMB fan, Mulligan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #2800
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,938 Posts
    Luck up is pretty insane with tough love and goats hoof.
    Melts evrything.
    TIL there's a way to shoot only teeth
    Nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)