1. Post #441
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,480 Posts
    What's up with self photography lately? It's like everyone is becoming narcissist.
    don't worry, my wireless trigger is arriving soon so I'll be taking bopie-esque pictures as well now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #442
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts

ewan in a tree 5k pixels by codenamecueball, on Flickr

non-filmey

trains and trespass by codenamecueball, on Flickr

found a train line

ewan in tha trees by codenamecueball, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #443
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    July 2010
    4,236 Posts
    Actually like it a lot better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #444
    The blue jacket thing is distracting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #445
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    July 2010
    4,236 Posts
    That's totally a backpack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #446
    You've already said this. My excuse was loneliness.
    Yeah I'm not blamming you, but this has become a bandwagon and I just scroll and see the faces of the same people photographing themselves every fucking day.

No criticism about the photos themselves, they're dope, but the whole idea behind taking a tripod and shooting yourself - why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

7. Post #447
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,071 Posts
    Yeah I'm not blamming you, but this has become a bandwagon and I just scroll and see the faces of the same people photographing themselves every fucking day.

No criticism about the photos themselves, they're dope, but the whole idea behind taking a tripod and shooting yourself - why?
    it's great practice. because you know what you want from your shots if you do work with people, because you've been both the model and the photographer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #448
    Food for thought, haven't thought about that kind of approach.
    I'm still sticking with the fact that I think it's kind of narcissistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

9. Post #449
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,480 Posts
    I dunno about you guys but I think almost everything looks nicer with a film look to it :( Will I outgrow this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #450
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Actually like it a lot better.
    so do i, he told me to do it with film but it just looked really bad in comparison

Edited:

I dunno about you guys but I think almost everything looks nicer with a film look to it :( Will I outgrow this?
    yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #451
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    July 2010
    4,236 Posts
    Youre sailing into a shit typhoon, you better haul in the jib before it gets covered in shit by certain people that will jump on this.

Yes your taste will diversify as you expand your photographic... worldview (I guess, not sure how to put it) beyond this forum. Also the more exposure you have to the oh-so-beaten-to-death 'film look' (or better yet, shoot enough film yourself), you'll notice a lot of it falls pretty short and actually looks horrible. A good chunk of the 'film look' is more of a caricature of real film, or simply an interpretation of what other people are doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,480 Posts
    You’re sailing into a shit typhoon, you better haul in the jib before it gets covered in shit by certain people that will jump on this.

Yes your taste will diversify as you expand your photographic... worldview (I guess, not sure how to put it) beyond this forum. Also the more exposure you have to the oh-so-beaten-to-death 'film look' (or better yet, shoot enough film yourself), you'll notice a lot of it falls pretty short and actually looks horrible. A good chunk of the 'film look' is more of a caricature of real film, or simply an interpretation of what other people are doing.
    that makes a lot of sense, I think it's like before I got a DSLR anything with a subject slightly off center and shallow depth of field looked amazing whereas now it's nothing special

but I just feel that if there's a photo that isn't that great, a film look can sort of save it if you know what I mean?

13. Post #453
    Actually a Time Lord
    November 2011
    7,018 Posts
    composition could probably show a bit more of her face. Lovely lighting down to the screen's light on her thumb.
    I feel the focus being on the phone was a nice touch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #454
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    July 2010
    4,236 Posts
    I just feel that if there's a photo that isn't that great, a film look can sort of save it if you know what I mean?
    I'll save you the stock responses about how PP won't save a bad photo and you need a good shot in the first place, etc.

This is where the interpretation thing I mentioned comes in. You slap on this 'style' and suddenly the image looks like a good one. Much in the way that HDR is frequently used to make pictures look like whatever inspires them.

People get hooked on a few surface aspects of images that inspire them, and in-turn spit out simplified versions of the original inspiration - neglecting the more important things and/or the finer details that get looked over.

Edited:

Even worse is when the inspiration is already a watered down version of an even 'higher' original inspiration. It becomes sort of like a game of telephone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,836 Posts
    I'll save you the stock responses about how PP won't save a bad photo and you need a good shot in the first place, etc.

This is where the interpretation thing I mentioned comes in. You slap on this 'style' and suddenly the image looks like a good one. Much in the way that HDR is frequently used to make pictures look like whatever inspires them.

People get hooked on a few surface aspects of images that inspire them, and in-turn spit out simplified versions of the original inspiration - neglecting the more important things and/or the finer details that get looked over.

Edited:

Even worse is when the inspiration is already a watered down version of an even 'higher' original inspiration. It becomes sort of like a game of telephone.
    Well said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #456
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,483 Posts
    Curious to know if this is film or not, great shot regardless.
    None of the shots i posted were film, but i did try to emulate a film look on a few. I'm guessing i did a fair job since you had a hard time telling the difference. :)

What's up with self photography lately? It's like everyone is becoming narcissist.
    Well my "excuse" if you will for this is that I'm doing a 365 and its much more aesthetically pleasing to have a decent subject and I'm always available to myself so i use me. I try to vary it, but what can you do? Bopie had a lot of selfies for the same reason, anyone that does a 365 does.

And Like Trogdon said, you can learn how to pose yourself in a photograph, and how to take it at the same time. I find knowing how to pose myself helps me to pose anyone i want to pose for me, especially guys who are usually very rigid. It doesn't feel narcissistic to me taking self portraits, saying that would imply that i absolutely love how i look on camera and love photographing myself which isn't true, i'd much rather have a subject.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #457
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts

Shed sunset by Inzalonus, on Flickr

Taken with my galaxy s2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 12Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

18. Post #458
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    think i should buy a remote and then do more selfies?, there's all those trees and stuff 15 mins away, i should go more often
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #459
    December 2009
    1,750 Posts
    Taken with my galaxy s2
    Wow, this is lovely, this picture made me look outside for a sec to look at the clouds and got this!
    Thanks!

Clouds by Gentle Doom, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    245 Posts
    A couple buddies and I decided to do some late-night exploration of some abandoned structures in the wilderness a few weeks back. Didn't come super prepared but but here's a few shots that I liked.

May have gone a little crazy with the noise reduction on that last one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11 (list)

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,542 Posts
    I think I'm in love.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    736 Posts
    ^Those clear skies are awesome!

Night skies around here are usually orange from smog and light pollution
    >_<

My school (UNF):
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #463
    ~I want you inside me~
    May 2005
    16,522 Posts
    love it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #464
    Actually a Time Lord
    November 2011
    7,018 Posts
    This is amazing...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,637 Posts
    jesus christ these last two pages have been amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

26. Post #466
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    July 2010
    4,236 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #467
    September 2011
    225 Posts
    Thanks a lot! It means more to me than it should to receive positive feedback.
    I find myself checking this site and Flickr several times a day to see if anyone likes what I made. I guess I'm unsure of the quality of my products, but really how could one not with all of these great artists around.. Love the stuff on this forum :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #468
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,854 Posts
    http://www.filedump.net/dumped/dsc002321329142209.png

can you guys help me achieve some more foresty tones?

feel free to edit the picture and upload.

it's for my project in uni, doing a photo to every line of this poem segment

'There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more'

Just looking for some nicer tones, and i'm pretty shit with that kind of stuff.

29. Post #469
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,455 Posts
    First time ever using reversal film, colours seem to be pretty nice. A bit sad though, since I haven't shot colour in a while, and this is the first time I've scanned colour shots properly, just realised how much CA my lens gives. Guess that might have something to do with it being chemically cleaned due to fungus D:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #470
    November 2008
    1,928 Posts
    So sharp! I love it mate!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #471
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    11,167 Posts
    4 and 5 are my favourites out of them.

The others seem to be lacking some sort of subject.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #472
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,573 Posts
    Fucking snow.

Edit: Oh goddamn fucking timestamp, why won't you stay turned off.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

33. Post #473
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    July 2010
    4,236 Posts
    Oh goddamn fucking timestamp, why won't you stay turned off.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

34. Post #474
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #475
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,573 Posts
    Thanks. But how What magic is this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #476
    September 2011
    225 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #477
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,836 Posts
    I don't think this is a 'lately' thing. A few people have been doing it for a while now.

I'm not too sure, but are you completely certain you haven't just seen the photographs of BlazeFresh and myself and thought they were self portraits? They were photographs we took of each other... Because I haven't actually seen too many 'selfies' in the last few pages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #478
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,483 Posts

I'm not too sure, but are you completely certain you haven't just seen the photographs of BlazeFresh and myself and thought they were self portraits? They were photographs we took of each other... Because I haven't actually seen too many 'selfies' in the last few pages.
    I thought this happened too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,397 Posts

IMG_9846 by BernieBones, on Flickr

IMG_9884 by BernieBones, on Flickr

IMG_9860 by BernieBones, on Flickr

IMG_9849 by BernieBones, on Flickr

IMG_9840 by BernieBones, on Flickr

IMG_9850 by BernieBones, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

40. Post #480
    November 2008
    1,928 Posts
    love the first and second ones!^

also, contennnnnnnt!:D

thoughts anyone? :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)