1. Post #4041
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,208 Posts

DSC_3333 by Olle.S, on Flickr

Edited:

Got a bunch more, might upload them later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 20Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #4042
    November 2009
    1,179 Posts
    good god damn that is pretty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #4043
    April 2012
    3,359 Posts

Haven't posted anything in a little while; just finished exams, been lazy

It was raining at the house, and my brother was here, so I took this before getting too wet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4044
    Had a good chat with Taylor Jones over mail and he suggested I'd give his project my own try, so I did.

fyi ; my girlfriend and her brother (rest in peace.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #4045
    November 2009
    1,179 Posts

woot, getting my test shots for the zenit developed soon. hope they come out good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #4046
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    I find it so incredibly frustrating when people on this forum, or even photographers in general, fuss about trivial technical non-issues, all the while forgetting to go outside and actually take interesting photos.
    what was it you said a few pages ago?

"How is that even criticism" when someone said one of your photos was boring?
    I agree that it's not a particularly interesting photo, but he's tryna get some criticism about post processing, which imo is fine in this thread, it's still on topic and it still helps us all as we all get an idea of how much is acceptable etc.
    Personally, I thought the photo looked quite visually pleasing with the amount of vibrancy it had, even though i'm like 8 hours late to this party

As far as the whole "oh wow bopie your photos look so great I wish I could be as good as you" thing you were talking about, the thing is that people have different styles, I love bopie's photos, but they don't have the sort of look and feel in the visual aesthetic that I personally try to achieve, I don't mind going for similar subject matter or composition, but in the end the difference comes down to the fact that he captures it in a really interesting way and has his own style of post, I have my own style of post which aims for a completely different visual aesthetic. It might not end up as "good" as his photos but I couldn't make my own exactly like his without feeling like i'm trying to copy someone else verbatim, and lets face it, we don't need another bopie, one is enough (and I mean that in a good way), I think everyone should just develop their own styles while trying to take on that constructive criticism so that we actually have variety in the forum rather than trying to adhere to one particular user's style

edit: shit sorry for bringing this up again, just had to call you out on that one.

Edited:

Edited:

great photo, i'd personally like to see a bit more natural toning, but it's great even like that.
    my only other criticism is that the sun is a bit too distracting, the bright white mass on the right side shifts the balance of the image and draws the eye away from your subject matter. On the other hand, it does help to create a sense of time and atmosphere along with the post, so it's a bit of a double edged sword there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #4047
    December 2009
    1,243 Posts

Edited:

I'm sorry but in my personal opinion you ruined a nice photo with the post processing.

I don't like how the blacks are clipped off so far, the vignette needs to be corrected (unless you intentionally put it there, but i still dislike it) and the split toning isn't very pleasing to my eyes.

On the plus side i love the location and the moment and feel the picture itself captures which is really what matters most in photography, so in that, great picture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #4048
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,208 Posts
    great photo, i'd personally like to see a bit more natural toning, but it's great even like that.
    my only other criticism is that the sun is a bit too distracting, the bright white mass on the right side shifts the balance of the image and draws the eye away from your subject matter. On the other hand, it does help to create a sense of time and atmosphere along with the post, so it's a bit of a double edged sword there.
    The reason why I didn't crop out the sun is because I have already cropped it quite substantially. And I believed that if I cropped it even more, quality loss is prone to happen.

As for the split toning, it's all really experimental. I tried going for a soft golden look, but dolton is right, I may have gone a little over board with the vignette.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #4049
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    I like the perspective in this picture. What do you think?

Sorry for the date thingy, my mistake.
    I need some thoughts! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #4050
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,208 Posts
    I need some thoughts! :)
    Has a very atmospheric feel to it, the time stamp is a buzzkill, angles feel kinda odd aswell.

All in all it's not that bad, but it has a lot of things that could use some improvement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #4051
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    Has a very atmospheric feel to it, the time stamp is a buzzkill, angles feel kinda odd aswell.

All in all it's not that bad, but it has a lot of things that could use some improvement.
    Thank you! How do you think the angle could be better? I do agree with you, but I dont know how I could improve.

Edit: I think the colors right were the time stamp is placed are simple enough to allow for editing... I'll see what I can do :/

Edit2: Fixed:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #4052
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #4053
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,846 Posts

DSC_0057 by Gabe Gatmaitan, on Flickr

DSC_0046 by Gabe Gatmaitan, on Flickr

DSC_0053 by Gabe Gatmaitan, on Flickr
    Makes a nice wallpaper on my computer
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn5rd4wdjp...3_02-53-36.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #4054
    November 2008
    2,260 Posts
    Love that second one matey!!

Decided to start some of my A2 photography work and we've been given loads of hella vague brief titles to work with just to get us started. This one is under the title of Looking Toward/Looking Away.

Thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #4055
    March 2010
    796 Posts
    Thank you! How do you think the angle could be better? I do agree with you, but I dont know how I could improve.

Edit: I think the colors right were the time stamp is placed are simple enough to allow for editing... I'll see what I can do :/
    The general softness lets it down for me, while soft images can help the image attain a certain atmosphere it doesnt for me in this case. IMO of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #4056
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,208 Posts

Edit2: Fixed:

Well seeing as the corridor is made of straight lines, I think (this is only my opinion) that it'd look better if the "floor/wall" lines pointed the same way, kind of like this.

Though this kind of photography is pretty individual, some like it, others prefer to ignore the 100% correct angles and just take a photo they like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #4057
    January 2010
    161 Posts

DSC_1000 (2) by Mitchobi, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #4058
    April 2012
    3,359 Posts
    Can't tell if he's a cowboy, an indian, or a referee haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #4059
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    I love moon shots and managed to get some fairly nice detail with my 300mm.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #4060
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,253 Posts
    I was planning on biking around this weekend and taking shots at some neat places I found, but my bikes tire died :((

Awesome content the last few pages though, faved a few to stare at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #4061
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I love moon shots and managed to get some fairly nice detail with my 300mm.

Your 320p image sure shows it off. Is there a full version somewhere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #4062
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    Well seeing as the corridor is made of straight lines, I think (this is only my opinion) that it'd look better if the "floor/wall" lines pointed the same way, kind of like this.

Though this kind of photography is pretty individual, some like it, others prefer to ignore the 100% correct angles and just take a photo they like.
    So you think that centering the angle a bit more is the ideal? The picture you linked doesn't work :(

Also; thanks for all the feedback from you other guys as well! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #4063
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    Sorry I am just use to choosing the 500 wide image whenever I post here.

Largest one I have on Flickr.

Edit: Uploaded the much larger version http://i.cubeupload.com/uhSGTq.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #4064
    August 2009
    152 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #4065
    I paid two dollars, and all I got was this stupid title.
    May 2006
    545 Posts
    Tried a model for the first time with my light setup. Thoughts? I had fun playing with the fill light on this one.

Edited:

Other than the composition being a little boring. I have plenty of others, though this is the only one I have actually put through minor PP and converted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #4066
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    509 Posts
    So I had this little guy show up out of no where. he liked me a lot.

And I had to get a ghetto macro of him too.

and a full res copy of the macro if you're interested. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54686638/IMG_3780.jpg

ZOOM! ENHANCE! dl.dropbox.com/u/54686638/FROGGY.png
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #4067
    April 2012
    3,359 Posts
    His eye looks really neat.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #4068
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,413 Posts
    I personally think this one turned out bad, but what do you guys think

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #4069
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    I personally think this one turned out bad, but what do you guys think

I think that's excessive blurring going on. I like the hue of the green, and I like the lights, but the contrast between those two is too weird, it makes the lights look like cheese. I think some type of blue light would look better?

Also facebook compression, I feel your pain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #4070
    February 2010
    12,413 Posts
    I think that's excessive blurring going on. I like the hue of the green, and I like the lights, but the contrast between those two is too weird, it makes the lights look like cheese. I think some type of blue light would look better?

Also facebook compression, I feel your pain.
    I agree, I screwed up the blur and it was too late to change it back

31. Post #4071
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,394 Posts
    The colors clash. Dull'd out greens and that heavy yellow just aren't appealing. The trails (?) look really fake (whether or not they are) because there seems to be some compression around them that doesn't appear constant through out the whole image. The trail things look very low to the ground from this angle, and that gives it a flat, dimensionless appearance. I'd prefer something like this where the trails come up off the ground, to give it some dimension and body.

The bokeh-vignette just adds mess in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #4072
    February 2010
    12,413 Posts
    The colors clash. Dull'd out greens and that heavy yellow just aren't appealing. The trails (?) look really fake (whether or not they are) because there seems to be some compression around them that doesn't appear constant through out the whole image. The trail things look very low to the ground from this angle, and that gives it a flat, dimensionless appearance. I'd prefer something like this where the trails come up off the ground, to give it some dimension and body.

The bokeh-vignette just adds mess in my opinion.
    Was my first go at the light trails, I just used path and brush.

I do like that picture you linked, I'll have to reference it later when I try again.

33. Post #4073
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    Climbed a mountain, didn't have a tripod so took some shots in the hope I could stitch them later. Photomerge almost got it right!

Mt. Coolum Panorama by Brandy.92, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #4074
    November 2008
    2,260 Posts
    Love that second one matey!!

Decided to start some of my A2 photography work and we've been given loads of hella vague brief titles to work with just to get us started. This one is under the title of Looking Toward/Looking Away.

Thoughts?
    no thoughts other than funny ratings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #4075
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    no thoughts other than funny ratings?
    Jeez... Don't get it backwards.

Word play aside:
    Looks kinda odd because you would expect a chin. I would show the neck instead of the throat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #4076
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,629 Posts
    i think the pose is really unnatural and awkward, a lot of room for improvement i think. Maybe search through photos that you like and find posing inspiration from that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #4077
    November 2008
    2,260 Posts
    cheers guys :) this is just preliminary work so its more the idea than the posing, lighting, colours etc but in saying what you said i now have an idea on where to take it! thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #4078
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts

hanging by codenamecueball, on Flickr

so we were forced to use tungsten
    which was a shame

but this came out of it all, so i was happy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #4079

IMG_9962 copy by Checalov, on Flickr

Brought my documentary-like style into a shot I did with my girlfriend, and I'm not too sure what I think of it. Another experimental phase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #4080
    April 2012
    3,359 Posts

IMG_9962 copy by Checalov, on Flickr

Brought my documentary-like style into a shot I did with my girlfriend, and I'm not too sure what I think of it. Another experimental phase.
    I think it looks nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)