1. Post #1
    I WILL BE STREAMING ALL OF THE EPISODES LIVE WHEN THEY ARE BROADCAST

WATCH HERE

(also tinychat that we never use: http://tinychat.com/fpdw )

Don't know what Doctor Who is? Have you been living under a rock for the last half century?

READ UP

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/DoctorWho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

What is Doctor Who?

Back in 1963 BBC commissioned one of the first GOOD sci-fi television series in history. It was about a time travelling alien called The Doctor who doesn't really get on with his people (The Time Lords) so instead chooses to show humans the wonders of the universe thanks to his time travelling device called The TARDIS. A box that is bigger on the inside than the outside. An interesting fact about The Doctor is when he comes close to death he can regenerate every cell in his body and cheat death. This means he has a new face, new personality and new actor. This was done for 7 actors before the show was cancelled in 1989.

After a poor TV movie in 1996 the show returned with a bang in 2005. You can start from here and not miss much, but that's not to say the older episodes aren't worth a look either. Bear in mind that many of the earlier episodes have been lost because of the BBC's short-sightedness, something Who-fans will never forgive them for.

2005 saw Christopher Eccleston (28 Days Later, GI Joe) play The Doctor, he left the same year and David Tennant took over. After becoming considered by many as "The Best Doctor" he left in 2010 after 5 years.

Now Matt Smith plays the timelord. If you want you could start from Series 5 (2010 series) and get the idea of the show pretty quick. Oh. First, a few things you must know:

CHARACTERS:

The Doctor – A 900 year old Time Lord who has saved the universe way too many times. Over the years The Doctor has been put through a lot of heartbreak but he hides it well. He has watched his friends die, his family and his people. It seems he is finally starting to get over it a little bit. His latest body is the youngest he has ever looked. He has a reckless and spontaneous personality. He fires words before thoughts and like most of his previous selves, he is anti-violence. This Doctor has a new TARDIS and companion. Unlike his previous incarnations, this Doctor has a soft spot for children. The universe could be falling apart but if you make a child cry, The Doctor will rip you into pieces. He’s a bit weird and a bit alien. But he is a master of speeches. If you get on the wrong side of The Doctor, hell is going to fall from the sky, and you better run.

His character was shrouded in mystery. In the early days of the show, all that was known about him was that he was an eccentric alien traveller who had great intelligence, travelling in his time machine; the TARDIS. Because of a malfunction of its chameleon circuit, which normally allows it to disguise itself in a form befitting its surroundings, it is stuck in the shape of a 1960s-style British police box after having disguised itself as one in 1963 London.

Regeneration – Due to being a time lord, he has the ability to regenerate his body when near death. This was a way of continuing the story if the lead actor wanted to move on. His body has changed on ten occasions but still possesses his previous abilities and memories.

1st Doctor – William Hartnell (1963-1966)
    2nd Doctor – Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
    3rd Doctor – Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
    4th Doctor - Tom Baker (1974-1981)
    5th Doctor – Peter Davison (1981-1984)
    6th Doctor – Colin Baker (1984-1986)
    7th Doctor – Sylvester McCoy (1987-1989, 1996)
    8th Doctor – Paul McGann (1996)
    9th Doctor – Christopher Eccleston (2005)
    10th Doctor – David Tennant (2005-2010)
    11th Doctor – Matt Smith (2010 - )
    SHIT YOU OUGHT TO KNOW BEFORE WATCHING (assuming you start from 2005):

- The show is about an alien called the Doctor

- He is from the planet Gallifrey, home of the Timelords

- When fatally injured, he can "regenerate" into a new body, with a new personality and mannerisms. However he retains his memories and his core values, such as anti-violence and eccentricity. In terms of production, this means that the actor playing the Doctor can quit while leaving the show to continue, and it allows each actor to bring something new to the way they play their incarnation.

- He travels through time and space in a vehicle called the "TARDIS", which stands for "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space". On the outside, it appears to be a lowly police box, but this is merely a cunning disguise, as inside it houses things like a vast control room, library and (allegedly) a swimming pool.

- The TARDIS can go anywhere and anywhen, but there are complex rules dictating the extent to which the Doctor can interfere with his own timeline, which can be loosely summed up as "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey"
    Sometime between the Eighth and Ninth Doctors, there was a "Time War" between the Timelords and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks. The Doctor was the sole survivor of the Timelords, and a few Daleks survived too. The Doctor's guilt over his race's death is a key characteristic of his Ninth incarnation.

- The Doctor frequently travels with various companions from all of time and space. They are frequently used to answer questions about the situations they find themselves in for the audience.
    DainBramage should add something along the lines of

Q: I want to get into this series, where should I start?
    A: Christopher Ecclestone's series. No exceptions.
    to the OP.
    Want a better OP?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 13Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,186 Posts
    I like the bit when people say it's bigger on the inside.

Also, I just assembled a TV stand and fixed my computer desk with my sonic screwdriver screwdriver. Best purchase ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2009
    3,687 Posts
    Sonic screwdriver screwdriver? sounds awsome.

Also, yay!, new thread. Lets hope we don't have another my little derailment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    864 Posts
    I'm still waiting on ThinkGeek to get the Sonic Screwdriver Flashlight in stock. That could have been SO useful this past month.

To ask again, since the last thread was closed and I've heard so many conflicting stories:
    Is Matt Smith returning after series 8?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,974 Posts
    New thread I see? Makes sense since some grow so fast. Don't know about this one though; there's a lack of content being broadcast at the moment, leaving us with little else to talk about until the Autumn broadcasts, which makes sense since the Who devs don't want to meddle with people' summers and that more people are indoors during the colder months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #6
    Actually a Time Lord
    November 2011
    7,978 Posts
    I thought you guys were okay with crossovers.

You need to define in the rules that you're not, so people like me won't post it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

7. Post #7
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,188 Posts
    I thought you guys were okay with crossovers.

You need to define in the rules that you're not, so people like me won't post it.
    We're cool with crossovers, as long as it doesn't involve a) anime or b) ponies.

Edited:

Or c) other stupid stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    The Disabled Kid
    Dennab
    February 2011
    4,770 Posts
    I didn't know that the Time War occurred between the Eight and Ninth Doctor.

I'm dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,405 Posts
    My thread locked?

Edited:

I didn't know that the Time War occurred between the Eight and Ninth Doctor.

I'm dumb.
    Wait what, it always felt like it happened around the 3rd Doctor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,188 Posts
    My thread locked?

How long have you been waiting to use that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    The Disabled Kid
    Dennab
    February 2011
    4,770 Posts
    Wait what, it always felt like it happened around the 3rd Doctor.

I know, but in the OP it says in between the 8th and 9th.

Sometime between the Eighth and Ninth Doctors, there was a "Time War" between the Timelords and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,027 Posts
    Why must they make us wait until autumn?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    10,837 Posts
    I know, but in the OP it says in between the 8th and 9th.
    That's because there has been more than one, however the 'last great time war' was the one between 8th and 9th, where the Time Lords were essentially made extinct.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    702 Posts
    I have now entered into the "impatient mode" of waiting for new Who stuff. It's going to be a long 9 months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,239 Posts
    snip

we could for 9 months nit pick at all the scenes from the last two seasons to find any clues to what Moffat told to Karen Gillan about her character in secret that was mentioned at a con. Or nit pick at all of Moffat's writting for gramatical clues, "you don't say saved you say save".

at 8:04 (not sure if the timestamp works)

on another note:
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Amy
    amy could mean aunt or mother.... it was there all along from day one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2007
    399 Posts
    I just love that new thread smell. In other news, Best Matt Smith episode? acting or writing. I'd either say The Doctor's Wife or The Hungry Earth.

17. Post #17
    Dennab
    April 2010
    2,092 Posts

Also, where could I get Doctor Who themed shirts for cheap?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Funny Funny x 15Winner Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,239 Posts
    I looked at parts of battlefield last night to see if there's a connection between Amy Pond and lady of the lake and I noticed the 7th doctor used a jedi trick and convinced people to leave, no paper needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,405 Posts
    How long have you been waiting to use that?
    Not that long if I use my TARDIS *shock horror*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #20
    The Disabled Kid
    Dennab
    February 2011
    4,770 Posts
    Honestly, this is my first Doctor Who thread that I'm not being a complete idiot, or just doing something dumb.

I find that interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    4,698 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    24,005 Posts
    I watched Doomsday yesterday

it was so sad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2012
    631 Posts
    so when is it coming back?

24. Post #24
    The Disabled Kid
    Dennab
    February 2011
    4,770 Posts
    Sometime in Winter, 2012.

Or when it's cold, I don't know.

25. Post #25
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,974 Posts
    Probably in the Autumn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    September 2009
    1,806 Posts

It is always cold here!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #27

It's cold right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,974 Posts
    I can testify to that; there's quite a bit of snow outside my house though none's currently falling. God, I hope the trains aren't held up tomorrow. (according to TFL atm they're running fine for tomorrow, but i'll need to check again tomorrow morning to see if things change)

Stupid England and it's lack of preparation for the snows of winter... You'd think with all the times we get snow that we'd actually be better prepared for it!

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    4,698 Posts
    It was -35.5c last night.
    Weather reporter is promising -14c for tomorrow.
    I cant understand what she is on about, it's already -26c.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    ~Tital~
    July 2009
    1,194 Posts
    I have never seen this ever but have heard of it then searched it in Youtube watched a video about angels. No sleep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

31. Post #31
    I have never seen this ever but have heard of it then searched it in Youtube watched a video about angels. No sleep.
    you should watch the full episode, it's one of the best of the new series.

it's called "Blink"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    The Disabled Kid
    Dennab
    February 2011
    4,770 Posts
    Blink was an amazing episode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2009
    3,687 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, Blink was a great episode, but I think everyone overplays the scariness of the angels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,239 Posts
    so what aliens has moffat created or linked to? angels, silence, vashta nerada, the empty child, what else?

angels = fear of what you do not see
    silence = fear of what do you see
    vashta nerada = fear the shadows
    empty child = fear of being touched

just curious if there's a pattern which could give a clue to what's ahead. Maybe a silent angel, or a silent vashta nerda angel that turns you into one and sends you back in time, "be careful of dust bunnies"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,974 Posts
    Speaking about fear of being touched, do the Dolls count for that catergory? After all, they do turn you into one of them, something I found sofa-worthy. And by sofa-worthy I mean get behind the sofa which the show is popular for.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,239 Posts
    Moffat didn't write that episode I think,(I was thinking of moffet's mind on what he'll write next besides christmas humay whumy episodes). On a side note my brother hated that episode, thought it was a repeat of Fear Her.

37. Post #37
    July 2007
    399 Posts
    Well that sounds lazily like the robots in the episode after it.

38. Post #38
    You're a big guy.
    January 2011
    4,749 Posts
    The Empty Child is the scariest thing ever to me. I've never been able to watch it since first showing when I was about 8 or 9.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,239 Posts
    I found the old series to have far more scary moments, like with the gaint rat with the puppet and the lighthouse which I do not think could have gotten away with today.

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    April 2010
    2,092 Posts
    The Empty Child is the scariest thing ever to me. I've never been able to watch it since first showing when I was about 8 or 9.

This creeped me out, or how it came out of his mouth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)