1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    This is the third version of the headphone buying guide, nothing much is going to change in the OP although I'll be reviewing the suggestions as necessary (eg removing headphones they don't sell anymore) and making clarifications. If you want to see anything added or removed, be sure to post here or send me a PM. I'm certain to take a look (However PMs are more likely to receive a reply)

Added: "Terms to know",

(I'd go right out and say go ahead and buy them if your budget were to be in that range if it weren't for the fact that different people need different styles of headphones. Quality in audio is often (to a degree) subjective in nature. This doesn't mean that )

Hopefully an improvement over what I had in the OP previously, the new OP is effectively just a copy-paste of information from Head-fi.org, easily the most knowledgeable community for headphones on the internet. Any high-level questions should betaken there if possible, as should all questions involving headphones above the $500-mark. Ebay is an acceptable option that's often cheaper, give using it some thought. (It carries risks as always though.)

Things I've seen in the thread frequently that need to be addressed:
    1. Don't buy a 'head-set', don't even consider it. Buy a desktop microphone for around $20, separately from your headphones. Clip-on microphones work well, they even sell ones that will clip onto headphones. (Desktop mics are still better generally)
    2. If someone hasn't answered your question within a few days, send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.
    3. Use Foobar2000 for playing your music, see the additional resources at the bottom of the OP for more information.
    4. See how to post below.
    5. Look below at the "Terms to Know"

Basic (and some not so basic) Terms to Know:
    Circumaural: Covers the ears

Supra-Aural (Not a term I've seen often, in my experience most s-a headphones are on the cheap (low quality side)): Sits on the ears, sorta covers

Open air: Headphones are open to the air, sound may "leak out" or "leak in". Generally they're better for long term use (less hot feeling after a long periods of use) but aren't as good for gaming (can echo through microphones as a result of their leaking.) or listening in public places (Assume no one wants to hear your music) (If you're a performer avoid those headphones)

Closed air: Headphones are closed to the air (Obviously, given the name.), they tend to be less comfortable after long periods of time or in hot areas (depends on the pair though)

Semi-open: A combination of closed and open air traits, really varies from pair to pair.

Impedance (click me for a better explanation): Measured in ohms (Ω), impedance is a measure of resistance. If you can't understand it, you could read up on it - but if you're not really into high-end audio you probably will want to just ask someone who knows what they're talking about. It can be a difficult concept to grasp at first. Just think of it as the need for more power, higher impedance means you'll need more to "drive" the pair. (i.e. you'll need an amp) (Read more here.)

Frequency Response (important): A measure of the sounds which an audio device may reproduce, measured in hertz. You'll need to read up on this if you're serious about buying anything decent on your own. More range generally = better headphones (oversimplification, but if you don't already know those terms it's a place to start from)

How to make a post: (i.e. Use this convenient pre-made form)

Budget:
    eBay:
    Isolation:
    Purpose:
    Music Tastes:
    Previous Experiences:
    Comments:

Source 1
    Source 2

Before buying headphones

1. Think about the whole system and budget for that. I can’t stress this enough. There are really good sounding headphones to suit almost any budget and any system requirements, but you really need to know what you’re getting into. Don't just think about the headphone. If you’re looking to buy a headphone, you also need to know what else you need (or don't need) to make it sound good. If you’re buying a reference quality headphone, they most often (not always) require dedicated home components to bring out the qualities that people talk about. That’s just the way it is. They require a well-matched amp that can drive them well. Many will be revealing of poor quality recordings and low bit rate downloads if you’re using your computer. If, for example, you're interested in the HD650 because you’ve read it’s good, just know that you might be disappointed if you don’t amp it properly, and if you amp it properly, you might be disappointed in the sound you’re getting if your source and/or recordings don’t cut it. On the other side of things, there are really good headphones that sound just fine without an amp and straight out of an ipod or computer soundcard if that’s what you want. You can get good sound in a lot of different ways at almost any price point, but research what you’re looking for, and put what you need in your budget before you decide on anything. It will actually save you money in the long run.

2. Portable amps aren’t the answer. Okay, sometimes they’re the answer, but mostly when portable headphones are involved. I know I’m going to get grief for this one, but so be it. I like portable amps, have owned some really nice ones, and have listened to a lot more. They are great for portable headphones, and do okay with some headphones designed for home use, but they do not take the place of a decent dedicated home amp when using headphones that were created for audiophile listening at home. Sure, they’ll make your headphones louder, but loudness does not equal sound quality, which is the real purpose of amplification. A properly driven headphone sounds amazing at very low volumes. If your lifestyle dictates that you need portability, then I suggest researching the many excellent choices in headphones that are not demanding when it comes to amplification. Don’t rush out and get a K702 because you heard it’s great with classical and expect to hear anything close to how it can sound with a portable amp. If you’re choosing a headphone that needs a amp, a portable amp may be a good stepping stone if you’re slowly building a system like I and many others did, but again, be aware of the compromise you’re making, and be happy with whatever you choose. Just think: if portable headphones were the best option for all headphones, no one would be making home amps, and that’s just not happening.

3. Source matters. Yes, it does. High quality headphones reveal your source. That’s their job. Garbage in, garbage out. I love my ipod, but when I’m using it, I choose headphones that sound good, but are more forgiving of my source’s flaws when listening. If I were to use one of my more revealing headphones, I wouldn’t be enjoying the music nearly as much. Whether you consider getting a good dac, a dedicated cdp, or lod for an ipod, there are a lot of different ways to go. For portable, I like choosing forgiving headphones and not worrying about amp or source; for home, I prefer the best cdp I can afford, and one day, I'd like a good turntable. Others may choose differently, but if you’re looking at getting high quality headphones, know that they’re only as good as what you’re feeding them.

AMP #
    0 - amp useless, or worse
    1 - amp unnecessary
    2 - amp recommended
    3 - amp needed
    4 - amp included

PREFIX
    !!! - specific version(s) have problems
    DC - discontinued
    XE - fakes are common
    CO - must be Custom Ordered from manufacturer
    DJ - good for DJ work: Good seal, rotating cups, stands up to abuse

Format: PREFIX - AMP # - Full Name (version) [price range in USD]: notes

Under $20
    IEM
    1, 2 Kanen KM-92 Wooden IEM [$5-$12]. Very low price point and good SQ for the price. Bass is fairly prominent, and the fact the headphones are made out of wood are nice perks as well

Clip-On
    1 - Koss KSC75 (rightangle plug) [$13-$15]: Best bang for buck phones anywhere. Very good for modding.

$20 - $70

IEM

1, 2 - Soundmagic PL-50 [$52]: Phenomenal sound at a bargain price. Somewhat analytical sounding with great detail for the price-point. Not biased toward any genre of music. A great deal especially considering these are balanced armature IEMs.
    2, 3 - Brainwavz M1 [$39.50] More balanced Dynamic driver IEM. Less bass than it's more expensive relative, the Brainwavz M2. Less definition in the trebles as well. Really requires an amplifier more than any other IEM in this price range, but sounds more laid-back.
    1, 2 - Brainwavz M2/ViSang R03 [$59.50] Another great sounding headphone at a fairly good price. Not as analytical as the SoundMagic PL-50's, M2 has warmer and smoother, and there is more bass. These are not balanced armatures, however, if that makes any difference.

Portable
    1 - Koss PortaPro [$35]: Grado-like sound at a cheap price. Takes mods very well, such as Kramer's mod. KSC75 clips improve sound and portability. In recent years the cable has become super thin and useless, recabling would be ideal.
    1- Sennheiser PX100 [$35]: Amazing bang for buck.

Open On Ear
    Grado - i80 - Not a large sound stage, sounds better with an amp, but not needed for a good all around flat sound. ($100 USD)
    Grado - M1 - Similar to the i80, but pushes more on the low end. ($100 USD)

Closed Full-size
    DJ, 1 - Shure SRH-440 [$65-$125]: Compare to Sony MDR-V6, possibly overthrowing it. Flatter response. Very good seal; Bulky but comfortable. Can upgrade to SRH840 memory foam pads for more comfort. Detachable Cable, Collapsable design good for transport.
    DJ, 1 - Sony MDR-V6 [$65]: King of the price range and category since the 80's. Dependable buy with great bass response and nicely detailed highs. Very comfortable and makes a good seal. Can Upgrade to Beyerdynamic DT250 velour earpads very easily for only $20. Single entry, Coiled Cable, nickel plated connector. Can be found refurb'ed occassionally for $35, which is a must buy.
    1 - JVC HA-RX700 [$35]: An inexpensive version of the A900. A fairly balanced signature for its price range, albeit a little laid back. Large, not great at isolating, a slight recessed midrange and possibly boomy bass, but for the price, the detail and overall sound balance is absolutely great.

Open Full-size
    1 - Grado SR60i [$69]: Great mids. Amazing with rock and guitar. Highs can be harsh and lacks bass. Supra-aural. Great value and entry into the Grado house sound.

$70 - $150

IEM
    XE, 1,2 - Monster Turbine [$109]: Great bang for buck. Small soundstage but gets better after a good break in.
    1,2- RE0 [$79]: Amazing bang for buck, great mids and all around very solid performer with no major flaw, male vocals sound slightly sucked out or recessed, decent isolation.
    1,2 - RE-ZERO [$99] Much like the RE0, this 'updated' version features better bass, and less agressive highs. Worth considering if too much treble bothers you.
    0,1 - Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 [$60-$100] Good trebles, very solid build construction, and low impedence. Comparable to PL-50. Detachable Cables are a nice touch.
    1,2 - Realvoice[$89], beautiful and silky mids and deep and controlled bass, crispy high, great for vocals, instrument, decent isolation

Portable
    XE, 1 - Audio Technica ATH-ES7 [$100]: Closed. Poor isolation. Fun sound, very stylish but easily scratched. Folds flat and comes with velour bag.

Closed Full-size
    Audio Technica M50 [$100-$120] needs an amp, preferably a warmer one (at least an E5) to offset its recession in the midrange.: Great bang for buck, good isolation, fun sounding but not overly colored, folds up for easy transport. VERY good bass response/impact which adapts well to the music.
    2 - AKG K271 [$150]: Great mids. Comfy and decent isolation. Too bass light for some, blu-tack mod recommended for those who think bass is not enough.
    2 - Ultrasone HFI-580 [$150] Initially clamps hard. Great highs. V-shaped EQ means fun sound but recessed mids. Epic bass. BeatsbyDre-killing bass. Tight bass but capable of deep rumble. Not as transportable as M50 but does fold up. If purchased, do listen to the Ultrasone sample CD: S-Logic Plus adds interesting twist to sound. Good isolation. Doesn't need amp but benefits greatly from one.

Open Full-size
    1 - Audio Technica ATH-AD700 [$85]: Good for Gaming, Movies (very open soundstage). Good bass response but not bass presence (not thumpy). Comfortable and very very very large.
    CO, 1 - Alessandro MS-1 [$100-$110]: Comparable to Grado SR225, based off SR80, not super comfortable. Very Aggressive, forward sound. Great Value.
    2 - AKG K242HD [$100]: Very comfortable semi-open design. Lush midrange with good bass, but treble is slightly rolled off.
    DC, 3 - Sennheiser HD580 [~$150]: Very similar to the HD600, especially if you change the grills. Somewhat laid back sound with very good mids, slightly rolled off highs and solid bass. Comfort can be lacking for some due to clamping, but this can be fixed.

$150 - $250

IEM
    2,3- Etymotic ER4P/S [$175]: analytical, high detail, great isolation.
    2- Audio Technica CK10 [$230]: Clean, full sounding.
    2- Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 [$230]: Cold and analytical sound signature may not be for everyone. These have some sibilance with some songs.

Portable
    2- Sennheiser HD25-1 II [$175]:

Closed Full-size
    2- Fisher Audio FA-003 [$170-240]: Neutral sound signature with lots of detail and great soundstaging. Sound is very fast and fun. Versatile and works well with many genres. Also available as FA-002w if you want wooden cups.
    2- Denon AH-D2000 [$200-230]: Great bass and decent soundstage with a laid back sound. Doesn't isolate well. Top notch comfort. Great with trance and bass heavy music but a good all around can.
    1- Ultrasone HFI-780 [$180-230]: Tight, punchy bass, crisp highs with an aggressive, upfront sound. Lots of bass. Good isolation. Great with trance and bass heavy music.
    2- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 ohm) [$150]: BASS!!! Great soundstage for a closed can. Very good movie and gaming can.
    1,2 - Shure SRH840 [$150-$200]: closed, circumaural. Built like a tank, so great for traveling. Relatively neutral overall, with ample bass.

Open Full-size
    1- Grado SR225i [$200]: Treble heavy Gradoish sound that is brilliant for rock music although some may find it too bright.

$250 - $500

IEM
    1,2 - Monster Turbine Pro Copper [$279]: Great dynamic range, sound stage, presence with incredible bass presentation. Mid foward. Very cool looking.

Portable
    DC, 1 - Audio Technica ESW10 [~$500]: Warmish natural sound. Great looks and good comfort. Only little isolation, good in the city but not for subway use. Considered one of the best portable headphones around but is overpriced when you consider the fact that the M50s provide similar sound for around 120 dollars.
    1,2 - Audio Technica ATH-ES10 [$400]: Strong visceral bass, neutral mids, smooth and sparkly highs (though not grado-ish). So-so isolation, comfy (not so much as denon d1001), big soundstage, simple but elegant design. Good build quality. One of the best portables present to date (2010)

Closed Full-size
    1,2 - Bose QC15 [$299]: The best active noise canceling headphone by far. Good sound stage and presence. Light on the bass. The noise cancellation might distort the music though.
    3 - Denon D5000 [$420]: Warm, bassy sound.
    2 - Ultrasone Pro 750 [$300]: Good bass not overbearing but with plenty of slam (an all around more refined version of the HFI-780). Good comfort. Great with trance and bass heavy music.

Open Full-size
    3- AKG K701 or 702 [$250]: Extremely detailed with a large soundstage. Some feel anemic bass dependent on amping.
    3- Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) [$290]: Very flat, neutral sound. Excellent and accurate soundstage. Very good for gaming.
    2- Audio Technica AD2000 [$500]: Open, airy soundstage with very lush forward midrange and great speed. One of the best for female vocals.
    3- Beyerdynamic DT990 (250ohm) [~$250]: Semi-Open, great soundstage, natural sound especially when paired with tube amp, present but controlled bass.

3- Sennheiser HD600 [$300]:
    3- Sennheiser HD650 (300ohm) [$350-$400]: Circumaural, open. Upgraded version of the HD600 with better soundstage/

$500 +

IEM
    2- Westone ES3X [$850]: Warm, lush sounding custom IEM. Forward sound signature places you on the stage together with the instruments.

Closed Full-size
    3- Denon AHD7000 [$670]:

Open Full-size
    DC, 3 - Stax SR-404LE [$700]: Electrostatic headphone. Limited edition of the Lambda design, with real leather and new cable. Good natural sound, slightly warm, detailed. Very comfortable.

[B]$1000+
    IEM
    CO, 2 - JH13 Pro [$1,099]: Incredibly detailed reference sounding custom IEM's. Natural and open sound.
    CO, 2 - JH16 Pro [$1,149]: Stupendous bass presentation while retaining all of the positives from the JH13 Pro's.

Open Full-Size
    3- Audez'e LCD-2 [$945]: Planar Magnetic Headphones. Neutral, fast, tonally rich, deep bass, seductive mids.
    3- Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 [$960]:
    3- Sennheiser HD800 [$1400]:
    DC, 4(2) - Sennheiser HE60 [~$1800]: Electrostatic headphone. Nice natural sound, very detailed, slightly bass light. Normally comes with HEV70 amp but using another amp is recommended. Very comfortable.
    3- Stax SR-007 "Omega II" [~$2150]: Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeaker.
    3- Stax SR-009 [~$5250 USD]: Top-of-the-line electrostatic earspeaker. Latest production model.

Closed Full-Size
    3 - Stax 4070 [$2000]: Electrostatic headphone. Designed for monitoring, very detailed and unforgiving. A bit heavy but good comfort.

Everything else is pocket-change/I won't be eating for a long time
    4 - Sennheiser HE90 [$Good luck finding a pair (At least $10k USD)]: Electrostatic headphones, probably as nice as it gets (supposedly a bit light on the bass though)

Additional Resources for your viewing pleasure:
    http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/foobar20...uide-to-set-up
    http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/headphone-impedance
    The last thread (v2)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    PLUNGER BUTT
    November 2010
    2,712 Posts
    You should add the Sony MDR-NC7's to your list. Excellent headphones, have had them for about 2 years now and they are, like i said, fantastic.
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ber=MDRNC7/BLK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    You should add the Sony MDR-NC7's to your list. Excellent headphones, have had them for about 2 years now and they are, like i said, fantastic.
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ber=MDRNC7/BLK
    Not to say they aren't decent headphones (I've never heard them), from looking at them they probably aren't the best deal. Going by frequency response, one would be better going with the panasonic RP-HTF600-S (mentioned in large red letters at the top of the page), or virtually any of the products sennheiser has in the $30 range. Sony has some great headphones, but they've also been known to throw out some questionable products. The MDR series for instance, ranges from the (garbage) MDR-V150s to the universally acclaimed MDR-V6.

Do you have anything to compare them against? When discussing audio its helpful to have a benchmark to work from, preferable a pair that is well known

4. Post #4
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Guy just packaged and sent my headphones:

I've never been so excited for something in my life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2012
    221 Posts
    What do you guys think on the RAZER ORCA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    March 2010
    1,457 Posts
    My HD25s are incredible, seriously could not recommend them any more to anyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts
    what headphones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,637 Posts
    I see a lack of Sony MDR 7506's on that list.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,609 Posts
    Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 is anything but analytical.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

10. Post #10
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 is anything but analytical.
    They're fun though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    PLUNGER BUTT
    November 2010
    2,712 Posts
    Welp, my Sony MDR-NC7's are going out, and i probably should get a new pair. $50>, probably the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S or something different?

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,480 Posts
    I think there needs to be an addition to the super cheap category for IEMs- the Philips SHE3580. For $10 you can't go wrong. Not as bright or sparkly as the KSC75s but better bass in my opinion. Also, I think people should know the KSC75 really requires a recable mod at the very least, that they include is so thin it's only a matter of time till it gets glitchy.

I own both of these items so I know where of I speak.

Welp, my Sony MDR-NC7's are going out, and i probably should get a new pair. $50>, probably the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S or something different?
    Those Sonys are noise canceling I notice. The Panasonic, although billed as a closed design, is known to be more like a semi-open design.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

13. Post #13
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,609 Posts
    They're fun though.
    That V shape curve.

14. Post #14

April 2011
    4,514 Posts
    Disgusting generic gaymen headset.

Get some HTF600's instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    Orca: 15Hz-21KHz

You could easily find a pair with that range in the $15-$20 range if you looked for a bit. In general, I'd advise you to avoid Razer products. (Overpriced.)

Edited:

I think there needs to be an addition to the super cheap category for IEMs- the Philips SHE3580. For $10 you can't go wrong. Not as bright or sparkly as the KSC75s but better bass in my opinion. Also, I think people should know the KSC75 really requires a recable mod at the very least, that they include is so thin it's only a matter of time till it gets glitchy.
    In general if you're spending $10 on headphones you'll probably be better of saving up your money and just using one of the free pairs that comes with most portable devices, as it's not uncommon for companies to use the same drivers (the moving part in a pair of headphones) in low end pairs as in free/ultra-dirt-cheap pairs. I can't give any specific examples, but I've been told it/read it for years

Edited:

Added a "Terms to know" section, I'll try to add more later

16. Post #16
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,807 Posts
    Wish they would be more specific with frequency response.
    That could be 15Hz-21KHz 20 dB. - Means nothing without either a chart or some sort of tolerance.

I mean what good is the 20hz if it's 40db below everything else. Yeah it gives you idea if the phones can reproduce that certain tone, but gives no idea if it does it well enough to be usable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    That could be 15Hz-21KHz 20 dB. - Means nothing without either a chart or some sort of tolerance.

I mean what good is the 20hz if it's 40db below everything else. Yeah it gives you idea if the phones can reproduce that certain tone, but gives no idea if it does so in a manner which is usable.
    The tech industry seems to have that problem with a lot of things to be honest (e.g. contrast ratios)

Though typically if you're familiar with a brand they tend to have their own standard of sorts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,480 Posts
    In general if you're spending $10 on headphones you'll probably be better of saving up your money and just using one of the free pairs that comes with most portable devices, as it's not uncommon for companies to use the same drivers (the moving part in a pair of headphones) in low end pairs as in free/ultra-dirt-cheap pairs. I can't give any specific examples, but I've been told it/read it for years
    You're right, it's like with power supplies. Some companies, ie Seasonic, make the power supplies and some companies, ie Antec, rebrand power supplies and sell them with their own name on it.

With headphones I think it works the same, except the high end companies, ie Audio Technica, will design/make/sell their own.

These Philips are good enough to be worth the extra $10. I have earbuds from my ipod nano, and from my Blackberry and I can say from personal use the Philips are FAR better than either of those, those earbuds don't even begin to compare.

My suggestion is aimed at people who might have only a few extra dollars to spare and a need for an extra set of IEMs, maybe for use with their mobile devices or something. The Philips is a massive upgrade over stock earbuds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

19. Post #19
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    ATH-M50's just came, gotta say, initally, I'm a bit disappointed with the comfort. The headband mainly likes to push down on my head, which can be a bother with the hard plastic sides of it. I dunno, maybe I'm just use to my old phones. I'll tell you what I think about the sound after some burn in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts
    ATH-M50's just came, gotta say, initally, I'm a bit disappointed with the comfort. The headband mainly likes to push down on my head, which can be a bother with the hard plastic sides of it. I dunno, maybe I'm just use to my old phones. I'll tell you what I think about the sound after some burn in.
    that's the only thing that really kept me from getting M50s, I think I'm going to go for A900Xs when I upgrade (A700)

3D wing system is the best
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    that's the only thing that really kept me from getting M50s, I think I'm going to go for A900Xs when I upgrade (A700)

3D wing system is the best
    I'll be using the M50's for just when I'm listening to music and doing radio though, so I'll keep em around (if they sound good that is).

22. Post #22
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,901 Posts

I mean what good is the 20hz if it's 40db below everything else. Yeah it gives you idea if the phones can reproduce that certain tone, but gives no idea if it does it well enough to be usable.
    My friend tried using this argument

He was looking at headphones with like 10hz-34KHz and he was like "if they go that far out... think about how well they do in the range of human hearing!"

I was like, yeah, not how that works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    Okay, I've had the M50's burning in for a while now, but I'm impatient. I plugged it into my interface, and yea, it has a nicer crisp tone to it, alot more clarity than other headphones I've used, and yea. Do they live up to the hype receive? Ehhh, probably not honestly listening to them and reading other reviews that make it sound like the headphones Jesus used, but they are very good. Definitely going to keep these around.

Thanks guys. :love:

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    Okay, I've had the M50's burning in for a while now, but I'm impatient. I plugged it into my interface, and yea, it has a nicer crisp tone to it, alot more clarity than other headphones I've used, and yea. Do they live up to the hype receive? Ehhh, probably not honestly listening to them and reading other reviews that make it sound like the headphones Jesus used, but they are very good. Definitely going to keep these around.

Thanks guys. :love:
    Just remembered, I should add a tip section.

When you're headphones don't fit as well as they should (being too tight), putting them over a stack of books and leaving them there helps a lot. What source are you using? Audio (file format, bit rate, etc) quality? Also you'll find that with the ATH-m50's and most other nice headphones that they'll dramatically improve over time. Not as quickly as you might like, but still. Make sure if you're burning them in to give them a rest period. (Does anyone have any proof that burning in actually does anything? It seems to in my experience but I've read so many things to the contrary (but also in support of))

If the sound still isn't to your liking after a long enough period of time, there's several mods you can do to the m50's (Never tried them, but they seem quite simple. No soldering or anything of that nature.)

25. Post #25
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    I'm using a studio quality TASCAM US-100. Also cheers about the boots thing, I'll give it a shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,536 Posts

I have been using these headphones for DJing for last year and I must say from being made in 1970 these things are some of the best headphones I have ever used, the mids are just outstanding pretty punchy bass too.

As for the comfort they are lacking but I am going to be applying new ear cushions soon, but good luck trying to break these things.

I would be using my A-700's for DJing but they are just too damn fragile and I really don't want to hurt them in anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    That's hot.

28. Post #28
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    They look almost as uncomfortable gooey gel pads (the new in-thing to get a better seal on your headphones).

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,536 Posts
    They look almost as uncomfortable gooey gel pads (the new in-thing to get a better seal on your headphones).
    Those look absolutely terrible.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    They look "ok" (and not like a wet vagina) in some instances, but I still wouldn't want to wear them, better seal or not:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    November 2010
    1,692 Posts
    So there are a bunch of people on the internet bitching about mp4nation taking too long to ship orders. I'm out of the country and asked for them to ship my order later so I would be around when it arrived as well as ordered out of the second preorder batch. Turns out they shipped my order out of the first batch a couple of weeks ago, so it's ready to pick up about a month in advance, so they did the exact opposite of ship too late.
    But still, FiiO E17 with free IEMs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,807 Posts
    Wow, Realistic.

I used to have a couple of realstic Mics. PZM.

33. Post #33
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,609 Posts
    So there are a bunch of people on the internet bitching about mp4nation taking too long to ship orders. I'm out of the country and asked for them to ship my order later so I would be around when it arrived as well as ordered out of the second preorder batch. Turns out they shipped my order out of the first batch a couple of weeks ago, so it's ready to pick up about a month in advance, so they did the exact opposite of ship too late.
    But still, FiiO E17 with free IEMs.
    My parcel is stuck with customs :/
    Hopefully I'll be getting these next week without any damages.

34. Post #34
    January 2012
    221 Posts
    I'm deciding on JVC HARX700 or Samson SR850

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

35. Post #35
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    Dropping some bleh pictures.

(this picture is blurry and shit but w/e)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,153 Posts
    Everytime I check this thread and see all these headphones it makes me almost regret buying these K240's.

Then I remember how AWESOME my headphones are! <3

Edited:

Since everyone's posting photos:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,609 Posts
    Got these a week back:

Ortofon e-Q5 from musicacoustics

JVC HA-FXT90 from musicacoustics

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,292 Posts
    Those JVC-s look really uncomfortable.
    And the Ortofon e-Q5 look like they would fall off any moment.

but those pictures look soo damn good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    February 2010
    34 Posts
    Budget: Max €150
    eBay: Nope
    Isolation: Closed Air
    Purpose: 20% gaming 80% Music
    Music Tastes: Metal, Rock, DnB and the odd Classical song
    Previous Experiences: Bose Triports(Famous earcup snapping), AKG 518LE(jack messed up), HD428 (jack messed up)
    Comments: Despite being careful about not tugging to much on the cable my HD428 has died on me and i'm in the market for new headphones. Things I'd like to have looking back at these HD428's:
    -I really miss the bass the Bose and AKG provided.
    -If possible i'd like headphones with a detachable cable but don't know if that's possible within the budget.
    -When I'm at home I'm running the headphones through a Yamaha HTR6230. On the go I have my iPod and at work I use a SB x-fi go! to get atleast decent sound instead of my craptop's static jack.

Hope you guys can help me out. Tired of cables breaking on me so that's why I opt for a detachable cable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,153 Posts
    Budget: Max €150
    eBay: Nope
    Isolation: Closed Air
    Purpose: 20% gaming 80% Music
    Music Tastes: Metal, Rock, DnB and the odd Classical song
    Previous Experiences: Bose Triports(Famous earcup snapping), AKG 518LE(jack messed up), HD428 (jack messed up)
    Comments: Despite being careful about not tugging to much on the cable my HD428 has died on me and i'm in the market for new headphones. Things I'd like to have looking back at these HD428's:
    -I really miss the bass the Bose and AKG provided.
    -If possible i'd like headphones with a detachable cable but don't know if that's possible within the budget.
    -When I'm at home I'm running the headphones through a Yamaha HTR6230. On the go I have my iPod and at work I use a SB x-fi go! to get atleast decent sound instead of my craptop's static jack.

Hope you guys can help me out. Tired of cables breaking on me so that's why I opt for a detachable cable.
    ATH-M50 maybe... might be a little over your budget though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)