1. Post #281
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    i've got hd 202s right now and have been looking at other sennheisers and i was wondering how exactly does frequency response effect headphones exactly?

for example the hd 598's and the 558s have exactly the same specs except the 598s have a freq. response of 12 - 38,500 Hz and the 558s a 15 - 28,000 Hz

i'm just a curious noob and these are the two headphones i've narrowed my choice down too.
    The range doesn't tell you much, however looking at a graph of frequency response gives you a good idea of the overall sound, reviews/opinions will give you a good idea too, headphones are very subjective and music taste dependant unless you get neutral headphones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #282
    January 2012
    77 Posts
    The range doesn't tell you much, however looking at a graph of frequency response gives you a good idea of the overall sound, reviews/opinions will give you a good idea too, headphones are very subjective and music taste dependant unless you get neutral headphones.
    yeah, i figured from what i've learned about headphones i'd just kind of base my choice a lot off of reviews.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #283
    Asked before but
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B0007XJSQC
    Are these the best headphones i can get for my budget?
    (Budget is around 20)

Edited:

For reference:
    Budget: 20
    eBay: none
    Isolation: Closed Ear
    Purpose: Gaming/Music/Voice acting.
    Music Tastes: Prog/Rock/Metal
    Previous Experiences: Cheap 7 headphones which were tbh pretty good.
    Comments: Preferably something with overall nice quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #284
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Pretty much yes Salvador.

5. Post #285
    gah, missed tennant's video
    :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,993 Posts
    i've got hd 202s right now and have been looking at other sennheisers and i was wondering how exactly does frequency response effect headphones exactly?

for example the hd 598's and the 558s have exactly the same specs except the 598s have a freq. response of 12 - 38,500 Hz and the 558s a 15 - 28,000 Hz

i'm just a curious noob and these are the two headphones i've narrowed my choice down too.

Edited:

i understand how all the other specs determine the sound quality but i'm dumb
    While frequency response specifications can't tell you anything directly they can tell you something indirectly. When a manufacturer has two models, and one has a wider range, that can tell you how the manufacturer intends that headphone to sound relative to the other.

In your example, with the wider response you can guess that if you listened to them you'd probably notice the 598s extend lower in bass and in the highs. No you're not going to notice the 3hz difference in the lows, what you will probably notice is the lower extension in general that Sennheiser tuned them for(which is reflected in the lower bass specs).

Of course the next question is how much extension do you need? That's where reviews and getting people's impressions come in. It could be that for the music you listen to you need low extension but not much above 20k, or maybe you listen to music where you don't want deep bass but instead need better mids and highs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

7. Post #287
    January 2012
    77 Posts
    While frequency response specifications can't tell you anything directly they can tell you something indirectly. When a manufacturer has two models, and one has a wider range, that can tell you how the manufacturer intends that headphone to sound relative to the other.

In your example, with the wider response you can guess that if you listened to them you'd probably notice the 598s extend lower in bass and in the highs. No you're not going to notice the 3hz difference in the lows, what you will probably notice is the lower extension in general that Sennheiser tuned them for(which is reflected in the lower bass specs).

Of course the next question is how much extension do you need? That's where reviews and getting people's impressions come in. It could be that for the music you listen to you need low extension but not much above 20k, or maybe you listen to music where you don't want deep bass but instead need better mids and highs.
    i gotcha, thanks

8. Post #288
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,126 Posts
    Xears Ebony wood and Dark wood Xe200PRO version.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

9. Post #289

June 2011
    492 Posts
    I did, got a little over a grand, putting most of it away and spending a little on varying my collection.
    I already have some decent dac/amp hardware (E10, Little dot mark I+), I'm not buying any very high-end headphones that require much power.
    Man, I wouldn't had done that. That's just UGH. I would have #1 returned it, #2 kept it #3 gave it to someone more deserving for the cost of the other pair you bought.

But that's just me.

I once got a CPU, GPU, and some other stuff at a computer store for free on accident. I didn't know wtf was going on, and was too excited to start working on the build. But long story short, the PC is still in the other room for my sister.

Q6600, 4GB of ram, 3850, Corsair TX750,

10. Post #290

April 2011
    4,305 Posts
    Man, I wouldn't had done that. That's just UGH. I would have #1 returned it, #2 kept it #3 gave it to someone more deserving for the cost of the other pair you bought.

But that's just me.

I once got a CPU, GPU, and some other stuff at a computer store for free on accident. I didn't know wtf was going on, and was too excited to start working on the build. But long story short, the PC is still in the other room for my sister.

Q6600, 4GB of ram, 3850, Corsair TX750,
    A TX750 for a 3850? Overkill much?

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,123 Posts
    My friend has a 400W IED for his 3850, but I think this thread is about headphones.

Are there many people with Philips SHP2000? Are yours also broken as fuck?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

12. Post #292
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,126 Posts
    My friend has a 400W IED for his 3850, but I think this thread is about headphones.

Are there many people with Philips SHP2000? Are yours also broken as fuck?
    Improvised Explosive Device ?

13. Post #293
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Improvised Explosive Device ?
    It's a joke, people refer to bad power supplies (Diablotek and the like) as IEDs as they have a tendency to blow up at anything past 50% rated output.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #294
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    Budget: $150-200
    eBay: Nope
    Isolation: Closed
    Purpose: DJing and some general listening.
    Music Tastes: Electronic
    Previous Experiences: Beats Solo HD, worst decision I ever made. I got rid of them and now need something new.
    I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Sennheiser HD-25 IIs. The Sennheisers have an excellent reputation but the M50s can fold, which is handy but not necessary for me. Isolation and single-cup listening (ideally hands-free without having to bend my neck) are my biggest concerns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #295

16. Post #296
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Budget: $150-200
    eBay: Nope
    Isolation: Closed
    Purpose: DJing and some general listening.
    Music Tastes: Electronic
    Previous Experiences: Beats Solo HD, worst decision I ever made. I got rid of them and now need something new.
    I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Sennheiser HD-25 IIs. The Sennheisers have an excellent reputation but the M50s can fold, which is handy but not necessary for me. Isolation and single-cup listening (ideally hands-free without having to bend my neck) are my biggest concerns.
    ATH-M50 + Koss PRO DJ100s if you can slug them, having the mono/stereo switch is very useful for DJing.

17. Post #297
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,218 Posts
    Fritzel, where do you always get that stuff? I'm curious.

18. Post #298
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    ATH-M50 + Koss PRO DJ100s if you can slug them, having the mono/stereo switch is very useful for DJing.
    But ATH-M50s over the HD25s? I'm really curious about the durability of the M50s.

19. Post #299
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    But ATH-M50s over the HD25s? I'm really curious about the durability of the M50s.
    The M50s are decent with durability, but the HD25s are well known for being one of the most durable headphones, up there with Beyerdynamic cans.
    Although the HD25s don't collapse or bend in anyway the HD25s are definitely well rated for DJing and are great portable bass headphones, but I'd recommend getting headphones with a stereo/mono switch for DJing, like the low cost but still great (especially for DJing with heavy vocals) Pro DJ100s then get a separate pair for listening.

It's a mixed bag and one you'll probably have to solve yourself, also consider visual appeal.

20. Post #300

September 2006
    50 Posts
    Budget: 70
    eBay: No
    Isolation: Closed air
    Purpose: 100% Music
    Music Tastes: Hardstyle, Hardcore Techno, Gabber, Hard House and Melodic Death/Black Metal
    Previous Experiences: I've had Koss Plug but the wires broke a few times and i gave up repairing them every few months but now i'm using Nokia WH-205 In ear buds in which i really like the bass but mid range is totally covered by the bass and high range sounds tend to crack a bit. and with computer i'm using usually my Philips SBC HP250 which are nice but lack abit bass in my opinion and i'd like a tighter seal around my ears.

So i'd like closed full-size or IEM type headphones to use with my Samsung Galaxy S phone which has Wolfson WM8994 DAC so should be able to deliver high quality Audio if i'm not mistaken.
    Since it seems no one is going to suggest me anything i'd like to ask if one of these are worth buying or if there's some good alternatives.
    Sony MDR-XB700 79,90
    or
    Sony MDR-EX310LPB EX Monitor 59,90
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,590 Posts
    Anyone comment on Klipsch Image X1 for 17?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-Imag...ref=pd_cp_ce_0
    Head-Fi rates them as between C1 and C2.
    C1 is 59.99 and C2 is unavailable, so apparently pretty good?

22. Post #302
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    I have two pairs of headphones, one is a cheap-ass Sony MDR-EX35 earbuds, which I got for around $25 and have decent sound quality. They have an odd tendency to make popcorn noises at low bass tones, but it isn't really noticeable in any genre but techno and orchestra. They're amazing bang for your buck. Pic:

I take them everywhere, but at home I use these enormous Sony Professional series headphones, which deliver amazing sound quality. I've never heard better.

My owning two Sonys is purely coincidental.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

23. Post #303
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    Since it seems no one is going to suggest me anything i'd like to ask if one of these are worth buying or if there's some good alternatives.
    Sony MDR-XB700 79,90 €
    or
    Sony MDR-EX310LPB EX Monitor 59,90 €
    Don't even go near the sony XBs. They do exactly what they say: extra bass. They sound horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #304
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    What is the difference between the M50 and the M50S?

25. Post #305
    February 2008
    330 Posts
    Don't even go near the sony XBs. They do exactly what they say: extra bass. They sound horrible.
    Better to get those than Beats

26. Post #306
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,477 Posts
    cable type, I think S have a straight one rather than coiled. Might be the other way around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #307
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,126 Posts
    Fritzel, where do you always get that stuff? I'm curious.
    I generally order these online. No one stock these in my country. But the caveat of getting stuck is custom is real. Few non trackable packages got lost and one sent by EMS (from Hongkong, Fiio E17 + Soundmagic E30) is stuck in customs since Jan 25. It's better to get parcels by ordinary trackable mail.

Edited:

I have two pairs of headphones, one is a cheap-ass Sony MDR-EX35 earbuds, which I got for around $25 and have decent sound quality. They have an odd tendency to make popcorn noises at low bass tones, but it isn't really noticeable in any genre but techno and orchestra. They're amazing bang for your buck. Pic:
    My first budget earphones were EX35 and then EX57. I liked the form factor of EX35 more.

28. Post #308
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,930 Posts
    M50S has a straight cable, it's longer than the standard coiled cable and is better for desktop use
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #309
    November 2010
    2,225 Posts
    M50S has a straight cable, it's longer than the standard coiled cable and is better for desktop use
    That really depends on your desk layout, the back my pc is really close to where I sit due to it standing against the wall behind my monitors so I only need little more than a meter of cable, a coiled cable works great as it takes care of the excess cable for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

30. Post #310
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    But the cable is removable correct?

31. Post #311
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,930 Posts
    But the cable is removable correct?
    no

32. Post #312
    get the straight cable

don't fuck with the coiled
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

33. Post #313
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    Bleh, still not sure if I should go with M50 or HD25. David's suggestion of M50+Koss Pro DJ100 won't really work because I also need to buy a bunch of other DJ shit. I like the HD25s durability but the M50's ability to fold is nice. Which has better isolation?

34. Post #314
    November 2010
    2,225 Posts
    get the straight cable

don't fuck with the coiled
    Unless there's some purely technical disadvantage to the coiled cable then isn't it purely personal preference? I owned a pair of Sennheiser HD 380 pro's for a short time and I loved the coiled cable, it never got in the way and I didn't find it troublesome at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

35. Post #315
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    I prefer the coiled version, but I use it on the go and I never use it for casual desktop use, just listening to music via an external interface since it's bad with videos and games. I can see it being horribly annoying if you use it for your desktop too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #316
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Bleh, still not sure if I should go with M50 or HD25. David's suggestion of M50+Koss Pro DJ100 won't really work because I also need to buy a bunch of other DJ shit. I like the HD25s durability but the M50's ability to fold is nice. Which has better isolation?
    HD25s have the better isolation.

37. Post #317
    but they're also not over ear :((

38. Post #318
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    And comfort? I've read the ATH-M50s are very tight, at least at first. If I went with the M50s I'd also have them on my neck a lot so how is the headband padding?

39. Post #319
    They're tight at first, they loosen up a lot. Around neck is completely fine for me. I do that a lot of the time.

40. Post #320
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    And comfort? I've read the ATH-M50s are very tight, at least at first. If I went with the M50s I'd also have them on my neck a lot so how is the headband padding?
    Both are a little tight but both can be fixed with a little elbow grease, atleast on the HD25s.