1. Post #1121
    April 2011
    3,188 Posts
    If you buy new headphones every 2-4 months, it's not the cans. It's you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #1122
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,649 Posts
    If you buy new headphones every 2-4 months, it's not the cans. It's you
    Thing is, I normally buy cheap headphones that barely even work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events

3. Post #1123

April 2011
    4,553 Posts
    Then buy some good cans for once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #1124
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Get a zalman or mod mic and some DT-770s or something, leaps and bounds ahead of any headset in that price range by a long long way, but if convenience is more important to you then go for a headset, just expect to get worse quality.

5. Post #1125
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,408 Posts
    Just got my FiiO E10.

Nifty little thing.

Edited:

Here's a pic, next to my new keyboard.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #1126
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    Just got my FiiO E10.

Nifty little thing.

Edited:

Here's a pic, next to my new keyboard.

god, I need to get a new keyboard and an F10 soon. but I am le poor.

also, Weltmeister, get a fucking life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

7. Post #1127
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,408 Posts
    By the way Tennant. I always wondered, what do you listen to with all that audiophile gear of yours?

8. Post #1128
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Nothing right now as my ear has been blocked for a few month due to a rampant ear infection and a polyp in my right ear, hopefully it'll go soon, I'm on two different anti-biotics and ear drops.

But when I do listen I usually use Foobar2000 with FLAC or 320kbps, Music streamer HRT II or E10 as my DAC, Little DOT MK II with matched ShuGang 211 driver/power tubes, and headphones I change a lot, usually HE-300, HE-400 or T50RPs as my generally most used, Senn HD650 sometimes if I can stop my mum from using them, and Grado SR-325i when I want my ears to bleed, I also often have a friends Shiit Lyr around here as he rarely uses it since he bought a WA6, in the process of coercing him to let me keep it.

My other headphones (M50s, SR60s, DJ100, HD600) are usually lent out to friends or family or just sit in my room, I might end up selling them but I want to review them first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #1129
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,408 Posts
    Nothing right now as my ear has been blocked for a few month due to a rampant ear infection and a polyp in my right ear, hopefully it'll go soon, I'm on two different anti-biotics and ear drops.

But when I do listen I usually use Foobar2000 with FLAC or 320kbps, Music streamer HRT II as my DAC, Little DOT MK II with matched ShuGang 211 driver/power tubes, and headphones I change a lot, usually HE-300 or HE-400 as my generally most used, Senn HD650 sometimes if I can stop my mum from using them, and Grado SR-325i when I want my ears to bleed, I also often have a friends Shiit Lyr around here as he rarely uses it since he bought a WA6, in the process of coercing him to let me keep it.
    I meant what kind of music, but that's cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1130
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Oh right sorry, I don't really have a favourite but I usually listen to electronic (Chromeo, Caravan palace, Daftpunk), jazz (Jimmy McGriffe, Ray Charles, Eddie Jefferson) or general orchestral, but if the song is good I'll usually enjoy it whatever the genre, I particularly dislike bluegrass and metal/aggressive rock though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #1131
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    god, I need to get a new keyboard and an F10 soon. but I am le poor.

also, Weltmeister, get a fucking life.
    le sorry you're getting le mad over 16x16 boxes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

12. Post #1132
    Ask me about my Zimmerman fetish

March 2005
    3,350 Posts
    M50s aren't very transparent, differences would be subtle if anything, most people who upgrade only hear placebo, depends on your headphones, if you have an amplifier and your sources.
    Yeah for sure, I've noticed that these things aren't as transparent as I used to think. The DAC, is an ibasso D-zero. It makes a fucking buzzing noise when I connect the mini-usb to my computer. Is this from interference from the cable or is it a problem with the DAC itself? When I just use the built-in amp there's no buzzing noise..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events

13. Post #1133
    May 2009
    1,145 Posts
    Budget: $60-$70 USD
    eBay: Yes
    Isolation: Any
    Purpose:Various music with gaming and movies.
    Music Tastes: Alot of everything but mainly Electronic, Soundtrack and Rock.
    Previous Experiences: Many Plantronics and Logitech headphones along with my current JVC HA-RX900
    Comments: I've looked for two months and i'm currently deciding between the Superlux 668b or the Samson SR850 or maybe something else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

14. Post #1134
    July 2008
    139 Posts
    This is for people who don't want to build an amp, whatever.

http://www.jdslabs.com/store.php
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #1135
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,408 Posts
    Anyone with a pair of Grados want to reiterate on how comfortable they are?

Edited:

Also the difference of sound between Alessandro M1's and say.. the Grado SR60i's.

16. Post #1136
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    Not very comfortable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #1137
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Not as comfortable as a circumaural headphone but they're not too bad, if your ear lays flat against your head you should be fine, if the cartilage in your ear protrudes you may find it particularly uncomfortable, but the lower end Grados have the S-cush pads which are more comfortable than the classic L-cush.

MS1s are less punchy and brighter, SR60s are better all rounders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #1138
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,782 Posts
    Bought some $25 Sennheisers today with a gift card at best buy. Best $25 i've spent in a while

19. Post #1139
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    583 Posts
    Hey guys I haven't read through this thread entirely but I am soon in the market for a pair of headphones. I've looked around on headfi and also here but there are a lot of headphones competing for/around the price I have.

Budget: $400
    eBay: Depends on the seller
    Isolation: Open air would be good.
    Purpose: Music and games, mostly music and some music mixing.
    Music Tastes: Some metal (Dream Theater), some jazz fusion (Shawn Lane), some house (Justice).
    Previous Experiences: AKG K701s, Beyerdynamic DT880s, and a shitty pair of Turtle Beaches
    Comments: I want to spend somewhere around $400 but not really more than that. I don't need an amp as I already have it covered. This will be my first pair of proper headphones so I want to do it right. Any recommendations?

20. Post #1140
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Bought some $25 Sennheisers today with a gift card at best buy. Best $25 i've spent in a while
    sennheisers are crap under $100
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

21. Post #1141
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,782 Posts
    i disagree

source: i am using them and i like them

Edited:

also they were on clearance

22. Post #1142
    June 2009
    425 Posts
    Any headphones to have a look at between the $120-$200 aud price frame I currently have plantronics 777s and logitech x530 speakers and they sound like rubbish probably cause I have had them both for 3 years and the sub is dodgy in the x530s and the 777s have the side partly snapped on the right ear.

anyway

Budget: $200 max AUD
    eBay: Probably not
    Isolation: Currently have plantronics 777s and like the shape of them so possibly open unless closed would sound better with the music I listen to
    Purpose: Games Music
    Music Tastes: hardstyle, hardcore, trance, hardtrance and a little bit of techno and dubstep pretty much anything that is bass heavy or has nice melodic synths
    Previous Experiences: Plantronics 777 Like the shape of them but the audio quality is bad and there design is pretty weak
    Comments: Im currently thinking about a pair of audio technicas m50's but can't really listen to them in person to see how they feel and sound although I like the looks of it in the pictures

Edit: Oh yeah I allready have a zalman clip on mic because my 777s mic was not working probably because someone flicked mute on the volume controler so I ripped it off cause I thought it just died

Also the guy talking about the buzzing noise over usb its probably the computers motherboards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #1143
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    11,052 Posts
    Are there any decent wireless headphones that don't cost the earth? I know it seems somewhat oxymoronic but my last headset lasted 6 months and I have very little space left around my computer so I'm getting a bit stuck.

24. Post #1144
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Budget: $200 max AUD
    eBay: Probably not
    Isolation: Currently have plantronics 777s and like the shape of them so possibly open unless closed would sound better with the music I listen to
    Purpose: Games Music
    Music Tastes: hardstyle, hardcore, trance, hardtrance and a little bit of techno and dubstep pretty much anything that is bass heavy or has nice melodic synths
    Previous Experiences: Plantronics 777 Like the shape of them but the audio quality is bad and there design is pretty weak
    Comments: Im currently thinking about a pair of audio technicas m50's but can't really listen to them in person to see how they feel and sound although I like the looks of it in the pictures
    s
    Sounds like some DT-770s would work well for you, although they can be a little slow but great overall for electronic, DT-770s are better for electronic but worse for vocals, Ultrasone 680/780, D2000 (probably out of your price range but woth a mention) are all good.
    If you want them to be portable aswell (as you were thinking about the M50s) V-moda M80 or Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs would be better than the M50s for your music tastes and are more portable than M50s (and both generally look better), if you don't need them to be portable at all, look into the DT-770s, both the 80 and 250ohms would work.

Are there any decent wireless headphones that don't cost the earth? I know it seems somewhat oxymoronic but my last headset lasted 6 months and I have very little space left around my computer so I'm getting a bit stuck.
    Generally speaking, sennheiser are the only manufacturers competent at making wireless headphones, even the low end ones sound pretty good for being wireless.

25. Post #1145
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Just got a pair of Logitech's UE-700s.
    Anyone interested in a mini-review?
    I'll probably get a pair of TripleFi 10s soon too.

26. Post #1146
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Only get some TripleFi 10s if you don't care about vocals, they're fun as hell to listen to though.

27. Post #1147
    November 2010
    2,268 Posts
    I'd argue Sennheiser has crap even above that. My HD558's started breaking after 6 months of regular usage. Headband started cracking and the cable started getting damaged so the left channel would drop out randomly. Their higher end stuff is probably decent but that experience taught me to stay the fuck away from plastic headphones in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1148
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,105 Posts
    Budget: 70
    eBay: No
    Isolation: Closed
    Purpose: Music
    Music Tastes: Rock, Dubstep
    Previous Experiences: iPod
    Comments: This isn't for me, this is for a friend but he's going to get skullcandy skullcrushers, so I thought I'd see if you can find him a better alternative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #1149
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Creative Aurvana live, Koss pro DJ 100, XB500s (but they won't sound good for rock).
    And yes, skullcrushers sound like absolute ass.

30. Post #1150
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,105 Posts
    Thank you very much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #1151
    July 2008
    139 Posts
    Akg 81dj

32. Post #1152
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Only get some TripleFi 10s if you don't care about vocals, they're fun as hell to listen to though.
    Not paying for them, so I won't have wasted any money if I don't like them.

33. Post #1153
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,105 Posts
    He's getting skullcandy skullcrushers anyway...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #1154
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Some people just don't listen.

35. Post #1155
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    He's getting skullcandy skullcrushers anyway...
    I'm not surprised, people who listen to radio dubstep generally won't listen to rational argument.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

36. Post #1156
    November 2010
    57 Posts
    Budget: $75
    Purpose: Gaming, music, general use
    Music Tastes: Classical, Jazz, Rock, Metal, Drum and Bass.
    Previous Experiences: I've used shitty IEM's
    Comments: I would like good all-around headphones, since I listen to a variety of music (not just what's in the 'Music Tastes' section). Also my laptop's sound card is borked, so I'll need a DAC (not included in the headphone budget) would a FiiO E10 work alright?

37. Post #1157
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Budget: $75
    Purpose: Gaming, music, general use
    Music Tastes: Classical, Jazz, Rock, Metal, Drum and Bass.
    Previous Experiences: I've used shitty IEM's
    Comments: I would like good all-around headphones, since I listen to a variety of music (not just what's in the 'Music Tastes' section). Also my laptop's sound card is borked, so I'll need a DAC (not included in the headphone budget) would a FiiO E10 work alright?
    FiiO E10 is the best DAC/AMP for the price yes, I'd look into Grado SR60s.

38. Post #1158
    November 2010
    57 Posts
    FiiO E10 is the best DAC/AMP for the price yes, I'd look into Grado SR60s.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've been looking at the SR60s and they look nice, I'll have to try them at my local music store and see how they sound.

39. Post #1159
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,735 Posts
    Well this is fun; my headphones are now making a static "fuzzy" sound whenever it hits certain high or low notes. Any way to fix this? Or is it because my headphones are dying.

40. Post #1160
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,914 Posts
    px-100's are a godsend if you simply make sure to put some reenforcement on the end of the cable to avoid the common problem with that breaking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)