1. Post #801
    I'll donate $1,000 to a site that's based around chance but not $1 to a site that provides a community service :C
    February 2007
    32,133 Posts
    No Hyper you can't fuck the shading.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #802
    You missed a spot.
    Still too dark. Not enough brown either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #803
    November 2010
    1,190 Posts
    Still too dark. Not enough brown either.
    Why are you posting quake screenshots in the tf2 media thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #804
    I'll donate $1,000 to a site that's based around chance but not $1 to a site that provides a community service :C
    February 2007
    32,133 Posts
    Add some grey.
    I want to play Gears of War.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #805
    June 2010
    5,911 Posts
    You're right! Even though in my opinion they get the job done for animation shorts like this (which are in fact animations trainings), they still look too rigid and at most parts just don't give the proper feel. I need to work on that, and it's quite hard :L
    Thanks for taking the time to say this btw
    Yeah, I don't think it's terrible or anything, it's just a little something that's been bugging me since ages in MaxOfS2D's animations and because they're so popular I was really starting to question my judgment.

Keep up the good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

6. Post #806
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    17,277 Posts
    Alright, I need to get this out of my system because I have no idea if this is just taste or a genuine point of criticism.
    I'm not used to criticizing animation tho, so sorry if I'm unable to word myself properly.

This type of animation looks /too/ fluid for me. Especially in action scenes the movements lack "punch" because they aren't sharp and "to the point" enough. Like that Spy's thumbsup where the hand immediately and fluently goes into the highfive animation instead of staying there for a moment. That just makes it look artificial and scripted.
    No matter how I look at it, it's like those times where friends and me would make fun of videogame character animations in ~2000.

I really wanna know if this is a taste thing/subjective/a personal issue or whether there's some merit to whatever is the professional term for what's bugging me.
    The animation itself is good but it's lacking pauses.

All the movement is continuous, all of it. That just doesn't and can't happen.

Also!

Took me a few moments to get the reference hahaha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 17Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #807
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    2,021 Posts
    You missed a spot.
    Damn, can't tell if he really did it or if he put a white layer over it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #808
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,292 Posts
    Just made this

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #809
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FAT FETISH
    June 2010
    811 Posts
    More rhythm fortress
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #810
    November 2010
    1,190 Posts
    Just made this

Render button.

Your posing is robotic and mediocre. If you wish to improve, stop doing the same things.

most of your screenshots are focused on one ragdoll wearing some items.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #811
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    4,896 Posts
    Oh great and mighty sensei of Garry's Mod, enlighten us! Where can we find a better model?

Oh right, there isn't a better one!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5WjT5iSD7k getgrenade's gaben
    there is one, it's just not released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #812
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    11,617 Posts
    More rhythm fortress
    I'd like it more if Scout had some expression on his face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #813

April 2011
    204 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #814

question, what do you guys think of pldx HQ particles for rendering videos?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

15. Post #815
    Stick Figure Artist
    July 2009
    3,904 Posts

question, what do you guys think of pldx HQ particles for rendering videos?
    needs more slowmo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #816
    January 2010
    732 Posts
    Started drawing my loadouts for each class.
    Still needs a lot of work.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #817
    September 2010
    148 Posts
    It's my first work of that kind:

What do you think?
    Any kind of advice is nice to see :D
    It was my wallpaper.
    I'm posting this only to get some good advice for advanced artists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #818
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    It's my first work of that kind:

What do you think?
    Any kind of advice is nice to see :D
    It was my wallpaper.
    I'm posting this only to get some good advice for advanced artists.
    - Use better fonts
    - Use the improved physics pack
    - Use the TIP texture pack, especially for gibs
    - Mess with post-processing (Super DoF and Color Mod)
    - Make sure your model's feet are actually on the ground and not just floating
    - Always try your hardest to make sure things don't clip. The right arm and right ambassador are glaringly obvious.

To make poses seem more natural, picture yourself as the model. How would you stand? Where would your arms be positioned? Would your knees be bent at all? Do you really need to have your hand against the wall?

The photoshop on the eyelander does look nice, though. I don't really like the corners.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #819
    September 2010
    148 Posts
    - Use better fonts
    - Use the improved physics pack
    - Use the TIP texture pack, especially for gibs
    - Mess with post-processing (Super DoF and Color Mod)
    - Make sure your model's feet are actually on the ground and not just floating
    - Always try your hardest to make sure things don't clip. The right arm and right ambassador are glaringly obvious.

To make poses seem more natural, picture yourself as the model. How would you stand? Where would your arms be positioned? Would your knees be bent at all? Do you really need to have your hand against the wall?

The photoshop on the eyelander does look nice, though. I don't really like the corners.
    Thanks! I already use improved physics pack, but i don't know anything about post-processing. ;/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

20. Post #820
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,021 Posts
    I'd like it more if Scout had some expression on his face.
    Scout's probably like that because in the game the DJ the player controls also has a slack expression.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events

21. Post #821
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    Thanks! I already use improved physics pack, but i don't know anything about post-processing. ;/
    Post-processing is extremely easy, honestly. Just takes a bit of tinkering.

Let's look at this sexy-ass pose I just finished a few minutes ago.

To create the darker atmosphere and the blurred background, I used two Post-Processing tools: Color Mod and Super DoF.

Color mod is the easier of the two. Here's the image un-edited.

Now let's open up our Color Mod window. The first slider we see is brightness. From what I garner, all this really does is apply a tinted overlay to the image you see.

You generally want to stay within the -.05 to .05 range, as any darker or lighter simply looks bad.

The next slider is contrast. Contrast also affects brightness, but in a different manner. Rather than overlaying a white or black tint, it either darkens or lightens the actual colors of the image.

Contrast is a lot more lenient than Brightness, and a lot more effective. You can generally go anywhere from .8 to 2 while still looking decent.

The last slider is color multiplier. This saturates or desaturates all the colors in the image. Useful for making images grayscaled or "cheerier."

For a grayscaled image, you want to keep the multiplier at around .25. Going all the way to 0 doesn't look as realistic. For a more vibrant image, going up to 1.25-1.4 will be enough.

Also, don't mess with the two color boxes. I've yet to see them used effectively.

Now, for the fun part. Super DoF. DoF stands for Depth of Field.

Before you start, make sure Multicore Rendering is disabled in the advanced video options. Gmod will crash if you use Super DoF with it on.

Now, there's a lot of sliders here. The two main ones you'll be working with are Blur Size and Focus Distance. Focus Distance is key, as it tells Gmod what you want to keep sharp.

When you bring up the Super DoF window, it'll be immediately apparent what is and isn't blurry.

This image is be adjusted for the Heavy's face as the focus point. Note how his head is still crisp and sharp, while the 2 on the wall is blurry.

This image is adjusted for those barrels in the background. Note how you seem to be seeing double of everything but the barrel. These parts will be what becomes blurry.

Just as another example, this is adjusted for the 2 on the wall. Again, note what is blurry and what isn't.

The Blur Size slider is useful as well.

Note how much blurrier the wall and the barrels are compared to the first image. You don't have to go crazy with blur, but it's always nice.

After you're done, click render. If you have a lower-end computer, it might freeze up for a moment. If it's higher-end, you'll see the parts you wanted blurry slowly circling about. When it's done, the window will pop back up.

For your completed image, use your camera, click the "5" button, and take a screenshot. The 5 button hides the Super DoF window for 5 seconds.

And, there you go. The other Post-Processing tools can be useful, but color mod and Super DoF are honestly all I use.

Hope this helps! Here's that final image again, btw.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #822
    September 2010
    148 Posts

----- TUTORIAL -----

Hope this helps! Here's that final image again, btw.

Really big thanks mate! :D
    I didn't expected that someone will make tutorial for me.
    It's really nice, big thanks :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

23. Post #823
    April 2009
    1,726 Posts

Shawn Chatfield and Hotdiggedydemon saw the last one... hope they see this one aswell!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

24. Post #824
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    Really big thanks mate! :D
    I didn't expected that someone will make tutorial for me.
    It's really nice, big thanks :D
    Not a problem! Hopefully everyone gets some use out of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

25. Post #825
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    17,277 Posts
    megapost
    Just my two cents: you're better off just simply not using any post-processing in Gmod, save for the Super DoF. If you want to do color correction or bloom, Photoshop will allow much more control (though I'm a fan of MB Looks myself)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #826
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    Just my two cents: you're better off just simply not using any post-processing in Gmod, save for the Super DoF. If you want to do color correction or bloom, Photoshop will allow much more control (though I'm a fan of MB Looks myself)
    Makes sense, honestly. I don't use it because I don't have a clue how to use image editing programs beyond paint. GIMP even gives me trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

27. Post #827
    My waifu is the Scout.
    January 2012
    2,306 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #828
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,483 Posts
    It's in no way amazing, but I got Faceposer working nicely.
    (Also why does youtube oversaturate my thumbnails so much, ugh)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

29. Post #829
    Pyrosexual Member (I vigorously masturbate to flames)
    March 2011
    9,260 Posts
    >Garry's Mod 13

It's time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

30. Post #830
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,483 Posts
    >Garry's Mod 13

It's time.
    Simply beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #831
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

32. Post #832
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    17,507 Posts
    Wrong thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

33. Post #833
    November 2011
    1,153 Posts
    2 questions:
    1-What does it has to do with TF2?
    2-Where i can read more of it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

34. Post #834
    When using Super DoF, you can click things and have the focus be set to wherever you clicked.

If you all didn't know this already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #835
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,884 Posts

Shawn Chatfield and Hotdiggedydemon saw the last one... hope they see this one aswell!
    Oh my god is that Metropolis music? :swoon:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #836
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,966 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #837
    February 2007
    32,133 Posts
    2 questions:
    TF2 related because Demoman is black.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #838
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    2 questions:
    Holy shit wrong thread, haha

It's supposed to be for the left 4 dead thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

39. Post #839
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    Holy shit wrong thread, haha

It's supposed to be for the left 4 dead thread
    so we gathered
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

40. Post #840
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,206 Posts
    You know what's bad about being an artist AND being left-handed? This.

My left hand always presses those fucking buttons on the side so I have to set the orientation to Flipped Landscape so I can use it upside down and not have to worry about pressing them. I COULD turn the buttons off, but whatever.   
    I know that feel

not to mention my tablet is the size of an iphone, and everything is on the wrong side
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)