1. Post #1521
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,316 Posts
    Welcome to facepunch's /fit/, garry. Now, make one of the best decisions of your life and start a proper full body routine and stick to it. Let the gains be with you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

2. Post #1522
    February 2009
    275 Posts
    So what's everyone's favourite tricep exercises?
    I have a full body routine but i feel my arms are lacking.
    I can do cable push-downs and close-grip bench press but for some reason when i try lying overhead extensions/skullcrushers or kickbacks they feel weird and uncomfortable. Probably just not doing them right i suppose
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1523
    Dennab
    January 2012
    609 Posts
    I do cable push downs and the tricep extension machine, has worked well for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #1524
    July 2007
    1,038 Posts
    So what's everyone's favourite tricep exercises?
    I have a full body routine but i feel my arms are lacking.
    I can do cable push-downs and close-grip bench press but for some reason when i try lying overhead extensions/skullcrushers or kickbacks they feel weird and uncomfortable. Probably just not doing them right i suppose
    Stick with Close grip bench press with strict form and slow negatives, add dips, and one arm cable (without the grip, just the end of the cable) pull downs with strict slow form.

Also some people have pain when doing skull crushers, extensions and kickbacks so it is not uncommon.

My personal tricep workout is:
    -Close grip bench press
    -weighted dips with last set being a drop set to failure
    -skull crushers or overhead dumbbell extensions
    OR
    -various cable pull downs (v-bar or one arm extensions)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

5. Post #1525
    December 2009
    693 Posts
    Best way to start lifting is about 4-6 months of SS followed by 4-6 months of Stronglifts or madcows 5x5. Then youll probably know enough about lifting starting a split would be a good way to go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Peru Show Events

6. Post #1526
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    The best way to maximize arm size is make sure you work both fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fibers. You can do this by training your FT fibers with heavy weights and low reps, a combination of your FT and ST fibers with medium weight and reps, and your ST fibers with light weights and high reps. So three different exercises sound reasonable, but change your rep/weight range according to the difficulty of each exercise maybe.

Here's a good arm routine example:

Incline dumbbell curl - 6 reps
    Standing dumbbell curl - 12 reps
    Decline dumbbell curl or Lying dumbbell tricep extensions - 25 reps

Perform as a circuit, 2 min rest between circuits, 2-3 sets (circuits).

Hope this helps.

hth slow twitch muscle fibers barely hypertrophy at all.

Certainly not to any degree a natural is going to see within a few months of training.

Edited:

thats the most retarded routine I've seen.

Burning out your CNS for nothing what am i reading
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1527
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts
    I was told that it's best to focus on a certain muscle group rather than working everything at the same time? Is that bullshit?
    OMG GARY IS GOING TO GET AESTHETIC AS FUARK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #1528
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,080 Posts
    Seems like he wants to become a curlbro

Aslo, don't you hate when you get a cold just before you're about to lift? I'll lift anyway of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

9. Post #1529
    WINNER
    August 2007
    1,617 Posts
    I am going to start going to the gym next week. Wanting to go for the last 6 months, but to busy due to graduating. I only got time for a bout 3 to 4 times a week tho. Is it any harm if you do Chest+bit of something else on 1 day, and next day do more of something else+legs(just as example) Or should I try only doing 1 group per day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

10. Post #1530
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    Try what fits your schedule best. There's no harm no matter what you do unless you get extraordinary pains afterwards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events

11. Post #1531
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,080 Posts
    Boosted my dl to 105kg while having a cold and sore throat, not bad. Also got a pr on shoulder press.

Only negative was that I was sweating a lot more than normal, so I was leaving a trail of sweat behind me. That and coughing like a 20 packs a day smoker.

12. Post #1532
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    give yourself some time to recover.... minimize activity until u heal

13. Post #1533
    WINNER
    August 2007
    1,617 Posts
    Try what fits your schedule best. There's no harm no matter what you do unless you get extraordinary pains afterwards
    Hmm Ok, also about pain. My right-knee tend to hurt when trying to stand up from a squatting position, something I can do about that? I am not fat or whatever, but as a kid I had a knee-injury. I have read about some of those kneewraps but do they also work on that kind of pain?

I noticed I teached myself to twist my right foot abit when standing up, I think to prevent the pain from happening. It feels like a disc between my knee/behind my kneecap wants to force itself out forwards.(Only not abusrds amounts of pain, only a little, but it feels like that)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events

14. Post #1534
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    Consciously teach yourself by repeated effort with an easy amount of weight on the bar, to keep knees aligned with your feet. If your knee keeps caving in, push it outwards.

You probably have flexibility issues, so you need to tend to that as well.

15. Post #1535
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,080 Posts
    give yourself some time to recover.... minimize activity until u heal
    Yea, I'm gonna rest the next 2 days.
    I'm going to train hard during my vacation(which starts today).

16. Post #1536
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,437 Posts
    I was told that it's best to focus on a certain muscle group rather than working everything at the same time? Is that bullshit?
    I think you're misunderstanding what you've been told. You should focus on a certain group per work out. Like work arms one day (instead of working everything).

I would recommend you do SS or stronglift 5X5.
    If you do decided that you want to do a 3 day split deal I would recommend:

day 1- arms
    day 2- legs
    day 3- chest/back
    day 4- rest (cardio/abs or just taking a day off)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

17. Post #1537
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,316 Posts
    I don't get why people like to split arms and chest/back on different days. Most chest exercises directly work your triceps. Also almost all exercises that hit your lats directly work your biceps. It always get's a little weird with 3-day splits. Why not a 2-day push/pull split?

or something like...
    1. squats, bench, weighted ab wheel, calves, maybe power cleans + isolate tris/quads/chest if you got time
    2. deadlifts, weighted pulls/chins, barbell rows, OH press, lateral raises + optionally isolate lower back/biceps/traps/hammies/forearms

Deadlifting after squat day may be hard for some, but works well for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

18. Post #1538
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    I don't get why people like to split arms and chest/back on different days. Most chest exercises directly work your triceps. Also almost all exercises that hit your lats directly work your biceps. It always get's a little weird with 3-day splits. Why not a 2-day push/pull split?

or something like...
    1. squats, bench, weighted ab wheel, calves, maybe power cleans + isolate tris/quads/chest if you got time
    2. deadlifts, weighted pulls/chins, barbell rows, OH press, lateral raises + optionally isolate lower back/biceps/traps/hammies/forearms

Deadlifting after squat day may be hard for some, but works well for me.
    It really comes down to your goals and how much mileage have you had with lifting weights.

19. Post #1539
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Yeah i just did an arms only workout, cry some more bitches
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1540
    I'M AN ELITIST BELLEND. ASK ME ABOUT MY SOLILLA FETISH!

February 2012
    183 Posts
    Why on earth would you do that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

21. Post #1541
    WINNER
    August 2007
    1,617 Posts
    My hamstrings are tight as fuck. Can't even floor my feet when going thru my knees. Gonna need to work on that else I won't be able to squat properly.

Also anyone here has any experience with StrongsLifts' 5x5?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

22. Post #1542
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    My hamstrings are tight as fuck. Can't even floor my feet when going thru my knees. Gonna need to work on that else I won't be able to squat properly.

I have experience with it. It's a good program, just make sure you eat enough; that was my problem while doing the program.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

23. Post #1543
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,039 Posts

I did it and made the best gains on my squat I've ever made since I was new to lifting, and once you have some momentum going, each workout really burns the starch out of you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

24. Post #1544
    Dennab
    December 2011
    270 Posts
    Dad's competing in his final body building competition of his career tonight. Been dieting for 9 months, competing in his 3rd and final competition since he started the diet. Competed in his first competition at 18 years old on the same stage 30 years ago today. He's got some competition tonight as it's a non-tested show and considering he's natural it's gonna be a tough one, I'll still be proud no matter which place he comes in though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

25. Post #1545
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    959 Posts
    Congratulations I suppose. What's his state of mind now, considering that a major part of his life is now behind (possibly)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

26. Post #1546
    Dennab
    December 2011
    270 Posts
    Congratulations I suppose. What's his state of mind now, considering that a major part of his life is now behind (possibly)?
    I don't quite think he's even thinking about that at the moment. I think what he's really thinking about is what he's going to eat after the show hahaha. But I'm sure it's gonna be a little bitter sweet.

27. Post #1547
    Fuarrrrkin sexier than zeez bruh
    March 2011
    1,771 Posts
    Ok. First day clean bulkan, how'd I do?
    Meal 1;
    tuna in brine on wholemeal bread with nofat butter.
    handful of grapes
    handful of mixed nuts
    green tea
    1 pint of water
    1 multivitamin + fish oil

Snack 1;
    Brotein shake (with 2 scoops so about 50g protein)
    1/2 pint of cranberry juice (reduced sugar, so 3g sugar a 100g instead of 30g)
    to my shame; half a pack of winegums (my bro shared em with me, the lovable little shite)

meal 2;
    Omlette.
    1 piece of ham
    half a yellow pepper
    spinach
    1 multivitamin + fish oil

snack 2;
    cottage cheese
    blueberries

if i continue like this will i get swole?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #1548
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,962 Posts
    are you keeping track of all your macros? are you consuming more than your caloric maintenance level?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #1549

April 2010
    3,460 Posts
    I'm new to this whole weightlifting thing and am starting 5x5, just asking would a curling bar work for squats, bench press, deadlift ect.

30. Post #1550
    June 2007
    1,715 Posts
    July 1st is tomolow.

yall know wat that means

31. Post #1551
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    July 1st is tomolow.

yall know wat that means
    Canada day?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #1552
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts
    I'm new to this whole weightlifting thing and am starting 5x5, just asking would a curling bar work for squats, bench press, deadlift ect.
    you should just get a gym membership

33. Post #1553
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    What sort of workout would this guy have had to have done to get a physique like this?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

34. Post #1554
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,614 Posts
    1 year of lifting with basic routines like SS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

35. Post #1555
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    959 Posts
    Oh yeah, as a small mid update, my weight is currently in the 94-95 kg range, so I'm doing fairly well. The sad thing is that soon I'll have to go home again for an extended period and I'll bloat back to above 100 kgs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

36. Post #1556
    November 2009
    4,005 Posts
    What sort of workout would this guy have had to have done to get a physique like this?

After taking a closer look at the evidence, this form is acquired by blanketing your arms and shoulders with tattoos, military training at least to the point where you have the opportunity to take a picture in uniform, and the ability to put twins into your busted wife's vagina.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #1557
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts

weak delts

38. Post #1558
    February 2010
    1,217 Posts
    Can anyone help me find that cartoony drawn illustrasion that was quite long and informative about different body types and stuff? It was posted in the sensational headlines sub forum a while ago in a related article. I would really appreciate it if anyone knows what i'm talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #1559
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    Can anyone help me find that cartoony drawn illustrasion that was quite long and informative about different body types and stuff? It was posted in the sensational headlines sub forum a while ago in a related article. I would really appreciate it if anyone knows what i'm talking about.
    If you're talking about mesomorph/ectomorph/etc, I am pretty sure it's all BS anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #1560
    WINNER
    August 2007
    1,617 Posts
    I was thinking about the stronglifts 5x5 programs.

I got time to workout 3 times per week. But the stronglifts programs only includes squatting, bench and overhead press, barbell row and deadlifts. What about shoulders/traps/lowerback and shit. Also, at the end of the program, I should be able to lift a decent amount of weight. 275 lbs dl, mind full of wat. But I think it won't do much other then making me able to lift heavy shit. It won't make me that more muscled right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events