1. Post #1761
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,083 Posts
    Ok, so good squatting mechanics = Squat, bad squatting mechanics = leg press. Looks like I'm still sticking to ATG squatting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

2. Post #1762
    Dennab
    January 2012
    609 Posts
    Leg press isn't bad at all, good for hypertrophy. Hack squats are god-tier for quad hypertrophy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1763
    July 2012
    5 Posts
    Personally I hate IF, but it's not unreasonable at all for some to utilize it with great results.

Also;

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-big-legs.html

great read.

Edited:

It could be a number of things... Either your posture or strength limitations.

If you are even struggling getting the bar up with perfect form, then you might have a postural issue (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...overhead_press)

If you're not struggling with the bar, then I would keep pushing using a structured routine that incorporates all activated parts of the overhead press (triceps, shoulders....)
    Thanks a lot for the advice, its much apreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #1764
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    Even though one could gain as much mass on leg press as he can on squats, I think he needs to clarify this is aimed towards a more experienced trainee; it shows mobility and strength issues very clearly and quickly in comparison to a leg press, where one could somewhat override these.

Squat performed correctly not only utilizes more motor units in perfect sync, it provides for a beginner more overall time under tension for the different muscles on the body.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events

5. Post #1765
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,867 Posts
    How the hell do you even do a squat properly. I've looked at videos and stuff but when I try to keep my knees behind my toes I just end up falling backwards onto my ass.

6. Post #1766
    Dennab
    January 2012
    609 Posts
    Just pop a squat without a bar like you're taking a shit in the woods. Even if you lean forward, your knees probably won't go past your toes. They might end up right over your toes (which is fine), but going past the toes should feel unnatural.

You're probably trying way too hard to keep your knees from going forward. They are going to move forward a bit, they just shouldn't go all the way past your toes.

7. Post #1767

May 2010
    335 Posts
    It's been about 10 months on SL 5x5, is it time for madcows 5x5? Or is there something different I should try

8. Post #1768
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    It's been about 10 months on SL 5x5, is it time for madcows 5x5? Or is there something different I should try
    westside 4 skinny bastards III or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

9. Post #1769
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,452 Posts
    i fucking hate curling i feel like its a waste of time

please tell me im not the only one who feels this way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

10. Post #1770
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,083 Posts
    i fucking hate curling i feel like its a waste of time

please tell me im not the only one who feels this way
    It's a waste of time, sorry. Do rows or weighted pull-ups/chin-ups
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1771
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,452 Posts
    yeah, I stopped curling ages ago but I was bored today and I figured i'd give it a try again. still hate it lol

btw t-bar rows are my favorite. burns so good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

12. Post #1772
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    hey guys
    in exactly one month i will be going off to regimental school. for the first two weeks, you essentially get your ass kicked. there is a fitness test i have to pass. 20 crunchs in 2 minutes, 20 pushups in 2 minutes, a mile in 10 minutes. the only issue i have is the pushups. the mile is okay and the crunches are nothing.

what are the muscles i need to work on to help my pushup ability? (this is excluding doing pushups obviously, because i know to do those already)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #1773
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,083 Posts
    hey guys
    in exactly one month i will be going off to regimental school. for the first two weeks, you essentially get your ass kicked. there is a fitness test i have to pass. 20 crunchs in 2 minutes, 20 pushups in 2 minutes, a mile in 10 minutes. the only issue i have is the pushups. the mile is okay and the crunches are nothing.

what are the muscles i need to work on to help my pushup ability? (this is excluding doing pushups obviously, because i know to do those already)
    Chest(pectoralis) if I'm not mistaken. You could try doing pushups each day, and adding 2-3 more each time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

14. Post #1774
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,867 Posts
    Just pop a squat without a bar like you're taking a shit in the woods. Even if you lean forward, your knees probably won't go past your toes. They might end up right over your toes (which is fine), but going past the toes should feel unnatural.

You're probably trying way too hard to keep your knees from going forward. They are going to move forward a bit, they just shouldn't go all the way past your toes.
    Thankyou that is very helpful :)
    I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and gain a bit of strength. I don't want to end up looking like John Cena or anything like that, but it'd be good to not have the big belly I currently have.
    I'm doing squats, sit-ups, crunches and basic curls with weights (because my mum bought me some and I feel like I should) every day, and I'm going to start going on long walks during the summer. Now is the time for me to get fit!

Update : I've tried squatting again and it just feels like I'm crouching down and standing back up again. Is this right? My knees are about level with my toes and my thighs are about parallel to the ground - and I can feel it working my abs and legs, but it seems too easy.

15. Post #1775
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    . I don't want to end up looking like John Cena or anything like that,
    won't happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

16. Post #1776

March 2010
    818 Posts
    Thankyou that is very helpful :)
    I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and gain a bit of strength. I don't want to end up looking like John Cena or anything like that, but it'd be good to not have the big belly I currently have.
    I'm doing squats, sit-ups, crunches and basic curls with weights (because my mum bought me some and I feel like I should) every day, and I'm going to start going on long walks during the summer. Now is the time for me to get fit!

Update : I've tried squatting again and it just feels like I'm crouching down and standing back up again. Is this right? My knees are about level with my toes and my thighs are about parallel to the ground - and I can feel it working my abs and legs, but it seems too easy.
    Use a weighted backpack or something if it feels too easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #1777
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    188 Posts
    Question about deadlift grip.

I've worked my way up to 100 kg and I feel like I could do more if it weren't for my grip, which is starting to fail. Up until now I've just been using the regular grip, but for my most recent set I tried the alternating version which helped a fair bit. Should I need to use it at 100kg though? And will I miss out on further developing my grip strength by using it? I want to stay away from straps, but I've read that chalk is a good investment.

Any good exercises for improving grip strength?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

18. Post #1778
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    Extra sets of kroc rows / plate holds / barbell holds for sets at the end of every other workout would make wonders after a few times.

19. Post #1779

20. Post #1780
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts
    Barbell curl is an important exercise...

What's with the bicep isolation hate trend?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

21. Post #1781
    June 2007
    1,715 Posts
    I don't understand why people neglect to do biceps soley because "tools" do them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #1782
    April 2012
    3,425 Posts
    I don't understand why people neglect to do biceps soley because "tools" do them.
    No body is neglecting biceps, it's just that they don't really need to be isolated as much as "tools" think they do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1783
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,068 Posts
    doing biceps is booooring
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1784
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    I love doing biceps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1785
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Fuck me I just accidentally fasted for like 24 hours by falling asleep for a long ass time.

So to remedy this, im eating 4 choc banana muffins and 3 big ass meat patties made with almond flour, eggs, zuchinni all sorts of other shit i chucked in there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #1786
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,911 Posts
    Fuck me I just accidentally fasted for like 24 hours by falling asleep for a long ass time.

So to remedy this, im eating 4 choc banana muffins and 3 big ass meat patties made with almond flour, eggs, zuchinni all sorts of other shit i chucked in there
    that sounds horrible, godspeed to you man

Edited:

also i tried going to a local chinese gym, shit sucked

no air conditioning, no free paper towels, fucking moisture through the roof. by the time i did my 2nd squat set, i'd already gotten pretty dizzy from the heat. jesus christ.

Edited:

oh yeah by the way

i noticed a few months back when i did dumbbell curls that my right wrist would have a little crack or pop at the top of the movement and it would be almost negligibly painful. i stopped doing dumbbell curls regardless because i started focusing on other parts, but should i go back to curls or just do something else for biceps? i dont wanna injure myself :c

27. Post #1787
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    that sounds horrible, godspeed to you man

Edited:

also i tried going to a local chinese gym, shit sucked

no air conditioning, no free paper towels, fucking moisture through the roof. by the time i did my 2nd squat set, i'd already gotten pretty dizzy from the heat. jesus christ.

Edited:

oh yeah by the way

i noticed a few months back when i did dumbbell curls that my right wrist would have a little crack or pop at the top of the movement and it would be almost negligibly painful. i stopped doing dumbbell curls regardless because i started focusing on other parts, but should i go back to curls or just do something else for biceps? i dont wanna injure myself :c
    Could be a shitload of things....

I would go back while utilizing some more forearm work... forearm fascia work would be much appreciated as well in your case I suppose ;)

28. Post #1788
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    I've got a nagging shoulder injury that pops up during boxing from time to time. The only problem is since I've moved up in weight and since I've been doing a lot of overhead/military pressing lately, it's become more noticeable.

Not sure what to do with it, I might lay off the OHP completely for a while. Dips seem to stress it just as much as well.

29. Post #1789
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts
    What kind of injury? You need to test out internal and external rotation of your shoulders...

30. Post #1790
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    What kind of injury? You need to test out internal and external rotation of your shoulders...
    It feels like it's in the joint whenever I start building up a high work rate on the jab. I've given consideration to the possibility of a muscular imbalance, my lateral and front delts are completely overgrown compared to my rear delts.

Oh well hate to be the sucker MC who gets a right cross because I couldn't be bothered working off the jab, it's hurtin time

31. Post #1791
    I'M AN ELITIST BELLEND. ASK ME ABOUT MY SOLILLA FETISH!

February 2012
    183 Posts
    It feels like it's in the joint whenever I start building up a high work rate on the jab. I've given consideration to the possibility of a muscular imbalance, my lateral and front delts are completely overgrown compared to my rear delts.

Oh well hate to be the sucker MC who gets a right cross because I couldn't be bothered working off the jab, it's hurtin time
    I have a similar problem. No pain, just neglected rear delts. I've been trying to injury proof my shoulders for the past few years with different dumbbell rotations and raises. I also swapped the classic dip with incline dips in an effort to save my shoulders. I've been meaning to start doing rear lateral raises. This is going to happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

32. Post #1792
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,502 Posts
    What routines do you guys have?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

33. Post #1793
    April 2012
    3,425 Posts
    What routines do you guys have?
    sl5x5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

34. Post #1794
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,452 Posts
    What do i do if i eat alot, 3000-3500 cals a day, slleep maybe 7-10 hours a day, and work out religiously but havnt gained weight for about a month now?

35. Post #1795
    April 2012
    3,425 Posts
    What do i do if i eat alot, 3000-3500 cals a day, slleep maybe 7-10 hours a day, and work out religiously but havnt gained weight for about a month now?
    work out less? What does work out religiously mean, exactly? Are you working out enough that somehow you're not in excess for calories?

Also, is that an estimate, or from actual daily calorie trackers?

36. Post #1796
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,452 Posts
    no. as in. barely ever miss a gym session.

I count

Im obsessed

37. Post #1797
    April 2012
    3,425 Posts
    no. as in. barely ever miss a gym session.

I count

Im obsessed

What I meant was how long are you working out for? How frequently do you lift, and what about cardio?

38. Post #1798
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,341 Posts

39. Post #1799
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,452 Posts
    What I meant was how long are you working out for? How frequently do you lift, and what about cardio?
    This is how i lift.

I lift on monday, then rest next day, then on wednesday, then rest,

ad so on.

I do cardio maybe once a week for 15 minutes.

And workout for 45-60 minutes

40. Post #1800
    April 2012
    3,425 Posts
    This is how i lift.

I lift on monday, then rest next day, then on wednesday, then rest,

ad so on.

I do cardio maybe once a week for 15 minutes.

And workout for 45-60 minutes
    oh

I don't know how to help