1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,010 Posts
    The only thing I can do on a smith machine that doesn't feel completely fucked are calf raises.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts
    The fuck is happening. Switching to sumo is really paying off. 5~ rep set weights are going up like crazy even though I'm still on a small calorie deficit.

Also if anyone is having troubles with grip, try hanging on a pull up bar with different finger combinations. I've done 3-10 second holds using as few fingers as possible, one arm holds and doing pull ups while holding the bar with 2+1 fingers. Seems to be working really well. And wrap a towel around the bar, so that there's not much friction holding you up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    Not a bad addition, but I'll just throw in high-rep dumbbell heavy rows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Ukraine Show Events

4. Post #284
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Perf is irresponsible as shit btw

you heard it here first
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #285
    February 2011
    4,057 Posts
    Can somebody advice me a good program to get some muscles on torso?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events

6. Post #286
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    ss pp along with eating like a man or you could have not been an idiot and read the op or the sticky
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #287
    February 2011
    4,057 Posts
    I read the op and the thread where op linked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events

8. Post #288
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    This shit any good for building some mass and getting fit as fuck?

http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisur...0000000119546/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

9. Post #289
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    This shit any good for building some mass and getting fit as fuck?

http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisur...0000000119546/
    No. Join a gym.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

10. Post #290
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    No. Join a gym.
    Don't have the time between work and university. Need something for at home.

11. Post #291
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    Don't have the time between work and university. Need something for at home.
    does your uni not have a gym

12. Post #292
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    Currently closed for relocation and rebuilding. :(

13. Post #293
    January 2010
    365 Posts
    go find a rock and throw it around
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    527 Posts
    Nice, scored free access to the local firehall gym! tomorrow gun be good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

15. Post #295
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    617 Posts
    ss pp along with eating like a man or you could have not been an idiot and read the op or the sticky
    Let us know what ss pp is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Azerbaijan Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #296
    Fuarrrrkin sexier than zeez bruh
    March 2011
    1,728 Posts
    look throough the fuckking thread. its mentioned here like 20 times
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #297
    September 2010
    975 Posts
    Cutting atm, any tips, basically just eating fuck all and lifting heavy stuff.

18. Post #298
    Fuarrrrkin sexier than zeez bruh
    March 2011
    1,728 Posts
    cardio too

19. Post #299
    September 2010
    975 Posts
    alright man, I cba to run, but can I box, swim and jump rope (once I learn how)?

20. Post #300
    January 2010
    365 Posts
    Sure, you can do those too. Especially rope skipping, it's pretty demanding if done right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events

21. Post #301
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    Let us know what ss pp is
    for the hundreth god damn time [release]
    Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps [/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts
    I just hit another PR on deadlift. Using flat bottom shoes seems to help a lot. But the weird thing is I did it without a belt. I had a small curve on my lower back, but it wasn't a sort of "cat back" you see on youtube videos, and the weight wasn't resting on my spine. I taped the lift to see my tech. I'd love to continue not using belt, because it seems I don't get much advantage from using it. But I have a very small curve if I don't use it. But I can find lots of videos of powerlifters having a small curve.

So is this a dangerous back angle or not?

also, dem ass. And I probably should try to use more leg drive. I can upload it on youtube when I find a way to flip it

E:

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    You can't have perfect technique all the time, and for the most part, you won't die instantly from having a "cat back". Try your best to keep back straight; lower weight, fix technique... whatever you need to insure good form.

About the belt - I never use it. No need, it is useless scientifically. I have forsaken it because I prefer my back to have more flexibility and so that I would have to actively be conscious of my technique.

EDIT:

looking at video, you got an ok form. You might want to lose the underhand + over hand sort of grip. Wanting to push more weight is fine, but not on the expense of your biceps. If you are having grip issues, do heavy db rows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #304
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,016 Posts
    Last time I checked. The over-underhand technique was a legit technique used by professionals. I even use it on the heavier lifts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts
    Thanks. Got to try using regular grip. And my tech is probably much better on 5 rep sets. That is my current PR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    Last time I checked. The over-underhand technique was a legit technique used by professionals. I even use it on the heavier lifts.
    You may be fine deadlifting 400 lbs with that grip, but the truth is it is unnecessary and is misused.

I could assume one would use such grip to increase weight on bar / be able to lock the weight because he can't with a double‐pronated grip / engage biceps more.

That's counterproductive to your grip, you symmetry and may even cause injury eventually due to that.

http://uknowledge.uky.edu/gradschool_theses/87/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #307
    June 2007
    1,656 Posts
    You may be fine deadlifting 400 lbs with that grip, but the truth is it is unnecessary and is misused.

I could assume one would use such grip to increase weight on bar / be able to lock the weight because he can't with a double‐pronated grip / engage biceps more.

That's counterproductive to your grip, you symmetry and may even cause injury eventually due to that.

http://uknowledge.uky.edu/gradschool_theses/87/
    Your at risk for a bicep tear, but it's pretty minimal. The guys who tend to do it are pulling 700+.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

28. Post #308

29. Post #309

30. Post #310
    NotMeh works out at home.
    June 2009
    12,111 Posts
    Dat alternating grip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,733 Posts
    I can't deadlift without it. The bar slips out of my hands. Even with a lighter weight like 200. Shit just starts slipping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    I can't deadlift without it. The bar slips out of my hands. Even with a lighter weight like 200. Shit just starts slipping.
    ... strengthen your grip instead of covering it up at the risk of your bicep. (even though so minimal)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events

33. Post #313
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,452 Posts
    How much weight is too much for calf raises? I don't want to tear shit.

34. Post #314
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    How much weight is too much for calf raises? I don't want to tear shit.
    You'd be able to tell when your knees cave in.

Very uncommon tear around the people who train to get bigger. It's a stationary position, so there are no sharp leg movements. It's an up and down motion. But then again, it can even happen when doing simple stretching, so ease your mind.

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,452 Posts
    You'd be able to tell when your knees cave in.

Very uncommon tear around the people who train to get bigger. It's a stationary position, so there are no sharp leg movements. It's an up and down motion. But then again, it can even happen when doing simple stretching, so ease your mind.
    Got it.

Also another question.. Yesterday i DL'ed for like the 5th time ever. I started out with good form, Middle was really shitty form, because i felt it, and tried to correct it and succeeded at correcting it at the end. But now i got some lower back pain. How badly did i fuck something up?

36. Post #316
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    I usually define "fucking up" something as a see-a-doctor, can't get out of bed; walking is a pain and sitting. And when I say pain, I mean actual pain - not tense or stiff muscles - but I am about to cry.

It will pass, and you will come out stronger.

37. Post #317
    January 2010
    365 Posts
    The deadlift is awesome. I'll just throw in my 2 cents:
    - bicep tear is rare and happens with wrong technique. it's when you don't lockout your arms completely
    and forget to keep them under tension. you can actually see how his left bicep contracts to move
    the weight, which is stupid.
    if you are doing additional grip work, then parallel grip isn't that important. but work your grip hard. i
    like to use thick bars (~ 2,7 inches diameter) and my Captains of Crush gripper.

- the belt helps a bit by allowing your belly to create more pressure. it has something to press against.
    they suck though, because you should be able to create the pressure on your own without the aid
    of a belt. if you can't... well, that sucks. try lifting something heavy without it. ("belly pressure",
    intra-abdominal pressure, intra-thoracic pressure. basically what you do when doing the valsalva
    maneuver.)

- a small back curve won't kill you. in fact, it's what really strengthens your back. the keyword is small
    here; if you exaggerate it, you'll definitely snap something when lifting heavy.

Did you guys read Dinosaur Training? It's about old school strongman training, pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #318
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    dinosaur........
    trex..........
    trex mode.............................................. ........

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,733 Posts
    When can I start doing dumbbell work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

40. Post #320
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Last time i checked my dick was lodged firmly in your ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)